Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

RJWaters2 posted:

Everyone pick a side - "Gus ruined the show" on the left side of the thread, "Gus makes the show" side on the right. I'm #TeamRuined

I would normally be wary of a show bringing back a "fan favorite" character like this but they've done such a great job deftly navigating potential pitfalls so far that I really trust the people making this show. I think it will be good in spite of Gus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Are they going to be continuing the BCS insider podcast? I enjoyed listening to it after each episode last season but it hasn't updated and I haven't heard anything about it

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

fridge corn posted:

The petrol cap thing was not confusing at all, hell even my girlfriend managed to figure it out

Lol women and their pea brains

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The only issue I can think of with the tracker thing is that Mike spent almost a full day at a junkyard, which I would think the people tracking him might find suspicious when suddenly the tracker goes dead the next day. Maybe they just assume he didn't find it since he doesn't destroy it but that seems a little obtuse for the Gus we know and love (assuming it's him).

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

They definitely knew he was going to scrap that car so I don't think stopping at a junkyard would be that suspicious. The tracker going out on his personal car would be suspicious, but that's why he hooked up the radio, to slow-drain the battery. If he just ripped the battery out it would have been much more obvious.

He slow-drained the battery over the course of what appeared to be about a day, which seems suspicious unless you think the guys tracking him would just assume it was a lovely battery. I guess it's true there's no way to know that he actually spent the day at the junkyard if you assume they have no secondary surveillance and think that they just assumed he took a cab home and never left his house that day. Probably a fine assumption.

I don't have a problem with any of this, I'm not the type of person who likes to look for plot holes and insignificant discrepancies. It's just a testament to how airtight this show is that this is the only kind of stuff you can nitpick, and even then it's still pretty solid.

E: does anyone know what article Banks is referring to at the end of the podcast? Sounds like it was written by a total blowhard idiot, I'd love to read it.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 12, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

They said on the podcast they have a new cinematographer this season but judging by the first episode it's still very good.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah this is going to end with the House of McGill completely burning to the ground, with both brothers' credibility utterly ruined.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Per the podcast, it's been 10 years since they started filming Breaking Bad. Holy poo poo.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah this show is not going to change its pace all of a sudden, if it's causing you that much frustration it's probably just not your bag

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Plus Gus is in the commercials for LPH which I assume every abq resident has seen

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The courtroom scenes are going to be the loving poo poo and I can't wait

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Zohn posted:

This show continues to hit it out of the park. People complain about it being slow, but I am in love with how unabashedly character focused it is. I think I might like it better than BB?

Same

E: I can't remember the details from last season, where in the truck were the Salamanca goons hiding the drugs?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Nude posted:

Well he did near the end of season 1 go out to Jimmy's car and open the trunk to bring in the papers for the Sandpiper Crossing case. It was shot more as a "Chuck forgets he has his illness because he is hyper focused on the case". I think the show is trying to show Chuck's slowly getting better at handling his illness.

Not exactly, it's trying to show that his illness is directly related to his mental state, e.g. being super focused on something else as you mention in this post. He is still not in control of this illness at all as something could easily trigger it, which I'm sure Jimmy plans on doing in full view of a jury.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 26, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

No Luck Needed posted:

Why does Saul Goodman do what Saul Goodman does?

Because he enjoys the hell out of it and it's the only thing he's good at. He tried playing it straight and narrow to appease his brother but just couldn't help but flick that switch. Whatever happens in BCS completely destroys his relationship with Chuck and Kim and he has no reason to keep pretending to be someone he's not. Jimmy is and always has been Saul, he doesn't need to "become" him.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Vermain posted:

I mostly agree, although I think what BCS shows pretty clearly is that Jimmy McGill is a pretty darn good lawyer who, despite being on the sleazy side, could make it in a big time law firm. He might well have settled down and become an "honest" lawyer if the door hadn't been slammed repeatedly in his face. His falls back into Slippin' Jimmy in season 1 are almost all from desperation: he tries to con Tuco's abuela and accepts the Kettleman's bribe because he's on the knife's edge of poverty and exists in a perpetual state of humiliation because of it (pretending to be his own receptionist and pulling out every excuse in the book for people to not see his utility closet office). When dishonesty and scheming gets him further ahead than the honest work he's doing - especially when he finds out that his own brother has been sabotaging him every step of the way - it's no surprise that he falls back into his huckstering ways.

Yeah you're definitely right that he has the skills to have a steady career at a law firm, but that's not really the point. I think his downfall is a combination of his nature and his brother's assholishness. While Chuck does constantly sabotage him, I think the lightswitch scene at Davis and Main was meant to demonstrate something important about his character: despite his best efforts, sometimes he just can't help himself. I just don't see a world in which, even absent Chuck's meddling, he would be happy and satisfied working corporate law or whatever; there's always a switch to flip. He gets in his own way almost as much as Chuck does. That's what's so compelling about their feud...Chuck is kinda right about him sometimes. Also, Kim kinda likes Slippin Jimmy, it's a core part of his personality and essentially makes him who he is. Without Slippin Jimmy/Saul, he's just another boring lawyer.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This show does so many cool little things to subvert tv cliches. When Gus says to Mike "maybe someday you'll come work for me" we're conditioned to expect him to say "no, we're square, I'm out" but instead he just goes "yeah, maybe, depends on the work." And then when Chuck squeezes Jimmy for the last two dollars we expect that to be the moment he blows up and tears up the confession but instead he just glares and signs it. I love that stuff.

Also Jimmy's apology was amazing and convincing even though he probably didn't mean it and was just trying to convey to Chuck that brothers shouldn't treat each other this way *cough cough* RIGHT, CHUCK?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah Jimmy is the ultimate "better to ask forgiveness than permission" guy and he is going to take that too far with her someday.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

Having just binged through a BB re-watch I think there's some nuance to it that can be clarified.

Walt didn't replace Gale with Jesse because he was intimidated by Gale's intelligence, my impression was that Walt actually found Gale to be a refreshing change from Jesse, but after Hank beat up Jesse, Jesse stated that he was going to sue Hank/The DEA and then go right back to selling drugs and when Saul suggested that this would almost ensure that the DEA would eventually nail him Jesse threatened to give Walt to the DEA as a plea bargaining chip. So Walt offered Jesse the job as his partner to get him to drop the charges against Hank, which worked.

I think Jesse basically gave up on his revenge plans against Hank when Hank got shot by the twins. His reaction as he's leaving the hospital and sees Hank being carted in indicates this, though it's fairly subtle. What you describe is the ostensible reason Walt brought Jesse in and it may explain part of his reasoning but it wasn't really necessary at that point. Walt was also threatened by Gale because he was too competent and could easily replace Walt once he knew the cooking method. Gale was probably a deliberate insurance move on Gus's part in case Walt became a problem and had to be disposed of.

quote:

As far as Walt choosing to cook meth over taking charity being the impetus for the whole series, this is partially true, however it's never specified if the Gray Matter job offer or Gretchen and Elliot paying for his treatment would be enough money for the additional family expenses that he wanted to cover in the event of his death. When Walt discusses his reasoning for cooking meth with Jesse, he includes using the money to pay for future child support, school, food, mortgage, etc for his family, not only his treatment.

Obviously Walt had some deep seated issues with taking charity and his ego, Saul actually says as much at one point in the series when he suggests that Walt's drug money be funneled to the family through a lottery scheme and Walt rejects this option because it's money he earned. However, when he decided to start cooking meth instead of taking Gretchen and Elliot's job/charity, Walt also may have been considering that it might not have been enough money to support his family after he died, which at that point he was assuming that he would.

e: vvv you're quick, already added that in.

There is no reason to think that Elliot and Gretchen's money would not have been enough and that they wouldn't have helped out Walt's family after he died. Nothing in the show indicates this and there's a simpler, more direct explanation that the show's text does support. The show makes it pretty clear that Walt could have easily chosen the charity path if not for his impotent ego trip.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Incidentally, am I really the only person who feels bad for Chuck on any level? The man is mentally ill, and regardless of that not entirely in the wrong. Jimmy really has gotten away with a lot of stuff throughout his life that he shouldn't have gotten away with, all because he's quick-witted and likable. Of course what Chuck did to deny Kim the Mesa Verde case was a dick move, but that doesn't mean Jimmy should have done what he did. Like, if all this was playing out in real life, and your friend told you he feloniously altered legal documents in order to humiliate his mentally ill brother and win back a client for his lawyer girlfriend because she deserved it more, you would be like, "Right on, bro, that was exactly the right move"? I think I would tell him to take a step back, accept that his brother's a dick, realize that two wrongs don't make a right, and be the better man.

No I'm with you on this. I think the larger picture is that both these guys are scummy and dysfunctional in their own ways. It's become an arms race between them to the point where the only way for Jimmy to stay out of serious trouble is to totally destroy his brother, and that's sad.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

A good prank would be like those beach shower shampoo videos except with chocolate sauce in your pocket

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

why didn't Jimmy just have Huell reverse pickpocket a live grenade into Chuck's pocket

Who in the BB universe looks the most like a Bethesda character model? I'd say Todd

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Well given Bethesda's capacity for character animation I'm gonna say Walt Jr.

straight to hell

I think this post sent me to hell too by association

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Fuckin actors

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I would kind of like to see them show a scene of Chuck getting his EM sensitivity for the first time. I imagine it's brought on by Jimmy doing something good for himself or Hamlin giving him praise or something.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Karmine posted:

We don't know the timeline of it yet right? It would make perfect sense if it first started manifesting when Jimmy got the mailroom job, started off manageable, then continued to grow and went absolutely off the rails when Jimmy passed the bar.

Yeah I have a miserable memory when it comes to events and timelines of tv shows, but I thought Chuck was fine when Jimmy started working in the mail room? I like the idea that this coincided with Rebecca leaving, and the storm of Chucks miserableness and Jimmy's success brought it on slowly. I think it would be worthwhile for them to show it happening, however they decide to do it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

meddling second season

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Middling?

I disagree though, season 2 was great

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The cup holder was such a hilariously on the nose metaphor, I loved it

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Agreed. It was absolutely impossible to miss that it was a metaphor for Jimmy having a huge, girthy cock. Not sure what that had to do with the themes or story of the show, though. One of Vince's rare creative misfires, I guess.

Obviously Jimmy's comically oversized dong is being juxtaposed with his impotence in his professional life (i.e. his inability to "get it up" for Davis and Main) for ironic comedic effect; furthermore,

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Hey law people, could Jimmy legally handle the administrative aspects of Kim's work? He wouldn't be practicing law, just helping Francesca make copies and file papers and mail stuff and whatnot

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah but...Jimmy also wasn't wrong that it would be better for the clients to get the money now. I don't see Howard as particularly sympathetic, but he is definitely more three-dimensional than his type of character would normally be on TV, which is cool.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Howard and HHM are certainly becoming a victim of the brothers McGill, much like anybody unfortunate enough to be in their vortex.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

TBeats posted:

So what you're saying is Walter White is just another McGill victim?

Makes u think

I would be okay putting the finale off another week because after that we enter the abyss and have to wait like two years for season 4 (at least that's what the gap between s2 and 3 felt lik).

haha, not exactly. Walter White is a whole different animal. I just mean at this stage of the story. BCS is the story of a fraternal feud and its collateral damage.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Just got to watch the finale off the dvr and man what an episode and season. This is still my favorite show on tv by far. McKean was just heartbreakingly good in this and he'll be missed.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

"I'm for suicide hotlines as a concept but I think they should be given less publicity"

-a real opinion

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

SeXReX posted:

E.
Which of the film students do you think is most likely to have a ministry of silly walks poster in their dorm?

Boom operator guy for sure. Camera guy probably has Truffaut, Bergman, and Tarantino posters up and the makeup girl seems more like the musical theater type.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

Camera guy definitely has kubrick up

just compare the hair

gently caress you're absolutely right

E: I hope those kids don't get expelled for using the university's equipment for some lovely commercials

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 30, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'll never forgive him for changing kylo's scar location (it's not even close).

Why does this matter

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

it looks very dumb and is very obvious. even more so in the future when people watch em all back to back. needs to be a cool scar!

Alternate take: it doesn't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Jonathan Banks was great as always but yeah this season was McKean's season.

• Locked thread