Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I'm hoping that BCS ties in Robert Forster's character soonish.

Hell yea, I was just rewatching Granite State, Forster's Breaking Bad episode and he's so drat likable.

"If you look around, it's kinda beautiful."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Just all around. The portrayal of the rat race of being a solo practioner (I'm not one, but I know many), the daily grind of being in court negotiating plea deals, and the government prosecutor's jealousy/almost daydreaming about Jimmy's sweet gig as a partner track lawyer.

But also in "Chicanery" the actual proceeding before the disciplinary panel was about as close to realistic as it gets for TV shows. It followed a realistic question and answer format for the most part with reasonable objections and judge reactions. Obviously there was a little artistic leeway in following evidentiary rules and format, but the "feel" of it was spot on. Most courtroom scenes are horrible. Not only do they flatout disregard the Rules of Evidence, but they typically abandon having any semblance of a realistic question/answer format for direct/cross examination.

The BCS official podcast goes into the great lengths about how deep the entire crew goes into to make anything law-related seem as realistic as possible. It's insane

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

can you trick someone into being your lawyer

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

She also talks over the crew a lot nowadays and asks like six questions sequentially without pausing between any of them so they don't get answered.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

When we see Tuco in Breaking Bad, I think he's doing a lot more meth

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Huh?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Akumos posted:

Wait.. this showed is supposed to be in 2001-2002? What the gently caress? They really are expecting us to suspend a lot of disbelief with character appearances and basically nothing happening between the end of this show(I can't imagine it ends right before BB if it's that far back) and Walter meeting Gus on BB. Could easily see this show wrapping up in a season or two and ending in 2003-2004, so it seems weird to leave out the other like 6-7 years between the shows if that happens, unless we get some massive time skips here.. and not sure how we'd ever get the Walt cameo most people expect if it's that far back.
Yeah I don't know. Breaking Bad played fast and loose with its timeline in relation to real events going on around the same time and I sort of expect BCS to be the same way.

I don't understand being obsessed with precise dates/years. It reminds me of the weird Harry Potter superfans who map everything out with specific years even when the books don't really mention years at all and it doesn't matter a single bit precisely when the story takes place

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Agreed. It was absolutely impossible to miss that it was a metaphor for Jimmy having a huge, girthy cock. Not sure what that had to do with the themes or story of the show, though. One of Vince's rare creative misfires, I guess.

Lmao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

The insider podcast is good but whenever Vince gets on a soapbox about "instant gratification nowadays" I wanna sock him in the gut.

He is absolutely right though

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

- I'd misremembered the scene where Walt and Jesse are kidnapped by Gus as him being scared of Nacho. Upon rewatch he says that Walt and Jesse, who he thinks are the Cartel kidnapping, should be looking for "Ignacio" who did it instead of him; he asks if they're sent by somebody else (Maduro?) but the name didn't sound familiar and I didn't quite catch it. This could be related to whatever happens to Hector, but the timeline doesn't seem to fit that, we can probably assume Hector gets crippled closer to BCS' time period than Breaking Bad's.

According to Netflix subtitles, he says "Lalo didn't send you? No Lalo?" -- we've yet to meet him I guess.

The Ninth Layer posted:

- The extent of Saul's involvement into Brock's poisoning is really unclear. At the start of season 5 Saul claims to have no knowledge that Walt intended to poison Brock, and that if he had he wouldn't have gone along with the plan. But I don't see how the plan would work without Saul giving Walt some information about Andrea and Brock. Walt saw Andrea and Brock at Jesse's house but he'd have no way of knowing where she lived; we see Saul visiting Andrea's hose to give her some of Jesse's money.
I always figured since Walt's a teacher in the same city, he'd have some way of figuring out how to get information about a student. Walt poisoning Brock is all-around shaky though. I have a feeling it's one those things where we as an audience are meant to expect super genius Walt to have figured it out somehow, but we just didn't get to see it in motion this time.

The Ninth Layer posted:

- Saul says a lot of whacky stuff about his personal life, the most notable being that his second wife slept with his stepdad. One of the comments that seemed a little more genuine to me was Saul visiting Skyler at the car wash. Saul's there to relay some business news, but has his car's getting washed he tells the guy washing his interior to really get the cushions. By explanation he tells Skyler that the "kiddies" get snot everywhere, it's real bad. No other evidence Saul may have kids on the side, but again we don't get any look at his personal life beyond what he tells us.

Thanks for reading, I'm sure this has all been posted before.
Good writeup. I enjoyed it. I didn't remember the stuff about Saul mentioning "kiddies" and it sort of reminds me of Gus having kids' toys laying around his house when Walt came over for dinner. I mean, he could have had kids... I guess, right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

He's not Brock's teacher, and it would be a major FERPA violation to give out a student's information to someone who has no reason to need it.

It doesn't matter how he got the information. It's just supposed to make Walt seem more powerful and frightening.

That's what I said.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Huh?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pryce isn't a major league baseball player though? He collects baseball cards.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, I refuse to believe Saul directly helped poison Brock. Someone mentioned earlier that Francesca was shredding school schedules, but I specifically remember the podcast debunking that, saying it was just prop paper that they had lying around and it wasn't meant to be seen.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

I can't find a clip but I'm pretty sure I remember a scene where he admits as much. Walt undersold how sick Brock would get but Saul put the candy in his hand when he was at the house for a money drop. They set it up before by showing him at an earlier drop and giving an actual piece of candy to Brock.

Saul only discusses his role in Brock being poisoned once with the following dialog from s5, ep 11 "Confessions" when Jesse breaks into his office:

"I had Huell lift your cigarette, but Walt made me. He told me he was helping you, he was saving you. I never would've agreed to it if I'd known what he was gonna do. Jesse, you gotta believe me. I didn't want any of this!"

You could also argue that Saul giving him a piece of candy just sets up the idea of him being poisoned in general, not that Saul specifically did it.

edit: Also, pretty sure Saul was not doing money drops when Walt comes up with the Lily of the Valley idea. Saul was laying low and we never see a money drop during the two episodes where Walt and Gus are "facing off"

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 27, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

NowonSA posted:

I was rewatching the Better Call Saul episode of Breaking Bad. Jesse and Walt flip a coin to see who will go in and talk to Saul in person to try to get badger out of jail (with Walt losing the flip), and I just remembered that really early in S1 they flip a coin to see who will kill Krazy-8 and who will dispose of the body. They really got past that trauma nicely. Now I gotta look out for coin flips in BCS and try to remember other times they came up in BB, I feel like they couldn't have just stopped at two.

Skyler flips a coin at the four corners monument when she's trying to decide whether or not to leave or stay with Walt

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Man who writes these garbage recaps

that's better

lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

Actually I was just thinking - those lanterns Chuck uses - how safe are they indoors? I remember my dad had some kind of camping lantern we couldn't use inside of tents because of the CO2.

Well, it's repeatedly brought up in this show as a safety hazard, especially when Chuck was setting the latern near some old papers. Mike even took a photo of the unsafe latern, which was the lynchpin of Jimmy's disbarment defense..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ChesterJT posted:

Are people unaware that Michael McKean is an established actor with a long resume of great work?

I don't think they're unaware-- there's just this really weird notion that all characters/continuities from their favorite fictional works should come together for a big party

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is how a lot of shows or seasons end. Obviously no crossovers but lots of dance parties or weddings or whatever where the whole gang and your favourite bit characters all come together for a giant fanservicey blowout.

The Office used this more than once.

lol

I always think of McKean as Mr. Green from Clue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQOF05eD5_I

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Raxivace posted:

drat I really need to watch Clue again. It's been years and years since I last saw it.

Same! I immediately started pricing it as soon as I dug up that clip. It's probably been almost a decade since I've seen it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Spellman posted:

Shows are oftentimes more edgy in the pilot and first season. There were tits, fully naked Walter, more fucks and swearing, a more racially insensitive Hank

Same with Walking Dead, I don't think a character has said friend of the family since the first episode. The character who said it later turned into a likable rear end in a top hat

The pilot of Breaking Bad was shopped around to HBO and other networks with fewer content restrictions. Makes me wonder how much more twisted poo poo we would have seen if Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul were on a different channel.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yea I think so

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

khwarezm posted:

Seasons later (going against the thesis of this page) they show Jesse and his friends at a strip club with bare tits all over the place.

It's not a thesis. Vince Gilligan says it on the insider podcast at some point. And those bare boobs in s3 you speak of had pasties, not very realistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN3YKSRcq4k

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Probably ripped from the DVD version

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Not realistic? Go to a strip club in San Antonio.

Sure. pasties in a VIP room. In New Mexico. Yeah right.

This is all just a campaign to reveal what a disgusting slob I am.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Plus, all of the camera feeds went to Gus' laptop, and it was encrypted! Hank said they probably wouldn't have been able to get anything off of it anyway... That makes Jesse and Walt's magnet adventure completely useless and actively harmful to them. I always liked that they did that.

Walt was really smart, but also supremely stupid. I also liked that those were basically Hank's last words.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rexides posted:

Am I allowed to like Nacho and want him to win, or is he in the thread's black list?
Huh?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Of course, Mike was just as stupid as Walt in this instance. Mike and Walt really aren't so different.

Mike was initially ready and willing to skip town as soon as they realized the laptop was filed into evidence, but Jessie convinced him to stay and help with the magnet. Mike's just an old softie when it came to the "kid." :(

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Except when Gus wanted to kill Jesse, something Mike seems to conveniently forget later when berating Walt for not following orders.

Well, I guess Mike didn't always like or care for Jesse. Jesse was initially a huge problem for Gus and co. and they wanted him out of the picture (although did Mike actually ever have orders to kill Jesse?). After working directly with Jesse on dead drops, helping him stay clean, and seeing how Jesse could actually do good work, you get the sense that Jesse earned some loyalty from Mike and that there's some real affection there.

That probably helped convince him to go along with Walt and Jesse's magnet scheme

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah I just always thought it funny that *after* that, Mike is berating Walt for not "doing what he's told" which would be to kill Jesse for wanting to protect kids.

Well, more like Gus told Walt essentially: "let this crazy junkie kid go... even if he's pulling a gun on a couple of drug dealers.. stay out of it, let me handle them for killing kids" which I guess is kind of like "kill Jesse"? Unless I'm missing a part of the story where Gus tells Walt or Mike to directly kill Jesse.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aliquid posted:

Yes, the bottle is clearly shown.

And I think Nacho is in trouble. He can't run because his dad would be in trouble, he can't quit because then it's still too suspicious. Tuco's still coherent enough to track him down.

Tuco's still in prison, but the cousins might deal with him :unsmigghh:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I dunno, working a Cinnabon in Nebraska sounds like pretty much a "win" in my book. Considering the alternative is being buried in the New Mexican desert.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hit button posted:

gently caress, that was a nod to Marco's ring wasn't it. I feel dumb for not picking up on that.

Probably not. Howard doesn't know about Marco.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I hate the loving word "protagonist". it's like everyone learned what it meant because of the Hunger Games reviewsand now people won't stop using it whenever it is slightly usable.

lmao what?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

im pretty sure the BB thread was arguing about walt being a protagonist before the hunger games was even written

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah, "Ernesto."

Ding. Ding. DING DING DING DING

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ArfJason posted:

Maybe we should not continually try to dissect whether the obvious signifier for "this is a car crash" is more/less realistic.

I think their joking. I hope anyway

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Great season finale, lovely thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

In the podcast they said that while it didn't matter what movies they put in, they had to be careful with the covers. The movie cover might have someone's image on it, so they have to get the rights to show that person's likeness.

Genuine-no-sarcasm thanks for the podcast tidbit. Have the last few episodes' podcasts been any better about actually diving into how the episodes are constructed as opposed to learning about assistants, their education, and other self congratulatory stuff?

I really do love Vince and co. They seem like wonderful people, but I want to know more about the prodcution of the episodes!

• Locked thread