Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I'm looking forward to watching Jimmy dealing with the tape recording that Chuck made. I'm also looking forward to Chuck's reaction at being foiled yet again by Jimmy's quick wit and bullshit powers.

I kind of wonder if Chuck is actually going to be ultimately successful in destroying Jimmy's career, or if it'll be someone else. I know that really we don't see much of Saul's private life in Breaking Bad, but I think it'd be hard to reconcile Saul Goodman, Criminal Lawyer with the people that surround Jimmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Vermain posted:

I imagine it's going to end much as Breaking Bad did: with Slippin' Jimmy admitting that he does what he does because he's good at it. He was a man born to hustle, and when all legitimate avenues get shut in his face, either due to his own incompetence or the mistrust others have in him, he'll naturally end up gravitating towards the one remaining area (criminal lawyering) where he can spin his talents into success.

It'll be interesting to see how he eventually burns the bridges of his former colleagues but also doesn't get disbarred, which is Chuck's ultimate goal.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'd like the carwash guy to be in BCS.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

I know the answer is "because the tv people don't want to do it", but couldn't that tape get Saul disbarred at least? It doesn't need to be criminally provable to do that as far as I know

Non-lawyer but just from what my law-friends tell me and reading legal blogs, state disciplinary commissions really don't like to disbar unless the offense is really out there or the lawyer has been convicted on criminal charges. Suspensions for X amount of days are far more common. That said, lawyering is very much a buddy-buddy and networking profession and if you piss off the wrong people, they may have the power to make your life miserable. But I suspect the entire firm would need to be on board for it and right now, Chuck's war is just that of one man.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

We know Jimmy has been convicted before, right? For the sunroof incident? Someone with a record and new criminal charges might not get the slap-on-the-wrist someone would get with a clean record.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There may have been a time where Howard would go to bat for Jimmy but that time has long since passed. Jimmy burning his bridges at Davis And Main probably reflects badly on Howard since Howard and Kim talked kindly of Jimmy when Davis and Main asked.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Jimmy and Kim are probably angling on Chuck having a mental breakdown and never making it to court. If Chuck is able to keep his poo poo together, Jimmy is hosed.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

We're told its about 18 months sometime in season 1, I think.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I know the special prosecutor was described as a hard rear end, but I'm surprised she didn't even suggest doing a plea for the misdemeanors and dropping the felony. Usually prosecutors tend to just want to have some type of win in these low level cases.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

"As officers of the court, I feel we should be held to a higher standard. I don't intend to take it easy on your brother just because he's a lawyer."

I just don't necessarily think sticking Jimmy with a handful of misdemeanors is going easy on him. Jimmy is exactly the kind of person who would take a lovely plea bargain as long as he barely gets to keep his law license. He could still face disciplinary action by the bar, and Chuck or Chuck's surrogates could drag his name through the mud on their own time.

And proceeding to trial means the possibility of losing. And then she's the prosecutor who loses to a con-job of a lawyer.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Javid posted:

I feel like Jimmy could probably rein it in ENOUGH to have done alright at HHM or D&M if Chuck hadn't been actively working against him by every means available.

He became a lawyer in the first place because he wanted to be like his big brother. A less evil Chuck could've used that to try and mold Jimmy into a "good" lawyer; let him join HHM at the bottom of the ladder and sink or swim on his own merits like any other random fresh law school grad. Jimmy flaming out at D&M was in the direct shadow of learning of Chuck's betrayal, as well as Chuck still giving him grief and loving with Kim, both of which torched that big piece of his motivation to straighten out.

It's POSSIBLE he would've gone full Saul eventually regardless, but Chuck didn't even give him a fair shot to TRY, so all that follows is ultimately down to him.

I think the Davis and Maine arc showed us that even without Chuck actively trying to gently caress him over, Jimmy just can't help but flip that switch.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, has the OTHER Hamlin (I assume Hamlin senior) ever get mentioned? I've seen every moment of every episode so far, just curious if I'm forgetting something.

First mention is when Kim quits HHM and Howard mentions him wanting to add another Hamlin onto the name of the firm.

Cojawfee posted:

He is dead.

Really? I never picked up on it. I kind of just thought he's like the Senior Partner at the firm that maybe comes in whenever the gently caress he feels like, but does no actual work.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Golli posted:

Sounds like rape, she was abusing the power dynamic - and rape is about power not sex, right?

I thought rape was a felony.

Without more information, we don't know what the lawyer was actually convicted of.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Jimmy even mentions that Chuck mentored or helped get people onto the Bar commission so I find it really hard to believe that they're going to be that enamored by Jimmy. And I don't think they'll be surprised about Chuck's illness, though they may not know the extent to what he does to live and get by. I really don't think Jimmy is just going to be able to charm the pants off of the disciplinary board.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Karmine posted:

I got into Breaking Bad literally two weeks before it ended so I wasn't in the TVIV threads until then. What is this?

Scene in the desert that some people say sounds like Mike dubbed the last part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ygSPO8aXk

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Who the gently caress is that guy sittin in the doorway on a chair on wheels? That's like an accident waiting to happen.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Chernabog posted:

Can somebody remind me of Gus' story in Mexico? I just remember it vaguely.

Gus isn't from Mexico. He's from Chile and it is implied he fled the Pinochet regime in the mid/late 80s. He emigrated to Mexico and later at some undefined point emigrated to the US. At one point, Hank speculates that Gus is an alias or assumed name.

While he was in Mexico he started making crystal meth working for Eladio and Salamanca is generally seen to be his competition within that sphere. Salamenca kills his friend/possible gay lover by the pool, and the friend was the actual chemist. Gus was just the businessman cooking the books and also running Los Polos. I think Gus moved his operations to the US Southwest after his friend/cook was killed.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It'll be interesting to see what happens that drives Jimmy back into criminal defense because right now he seems to be actively staying away from that part of law.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I freely admit I haven't got a clue how the bar works, especially their disciplinary stuff, but do they really not take mitigating circumstances into account?

RE: Bar proceedings. I'm not a lawyer but have friends that are. Mileage may vary, but my overall view is that the higher echelons of the law in any given state (bar, related associations, the big law firms (which HHM and Davis and Mane almost certainly are) are very buddy-buddy and everyone knows each other, knows when someone is up poo poo creek, etc..Jimmy even mentions that Chuck knows many on the bar. But we also know that Chuck's illness is somewhat common knowledge (the lawyer for Sandpiper seems to know about it in season 1).

We already know that Jimmy doesn't get disbarred from practicing in the state of New Mexico. He definitely is working as a valid lawyer in Breaking Bad. And lawyers do shady poo poo all the time. He's likely going up against a suspended sentence for...30 days or something like that.

In some cases, the bar or other disciplinary commission may restrict an attorney's area of practice. So if Jimmy committed wire fraud, they may restrict his area of practice to not include those types of cases.

I don't think Jimmy is going to get off completely clean. That's a reoccurring theme in this series, and also we already know Jimmy's nature rubs the traditional lawyer types the wrong way.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think I've even read about lawyers being disbarred from state courts but still continue to practice in federal courts.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I know they used CGI on some of Mike's wounds from a season 2 episode, but I imagine they don't have the budget to CGI everyone's faces/bodies to de-age them, and makeup/costumes probably cost too much. I've never thought BB/BCS looks cheap, but I'm sure there are budgetary limitations on what they can do.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Ditocoaf posted:

Chuck was running out of money in Season 1 Episode 1, and needed to take HHM money (either cashing out his shares or taking a stipend) because otherwise Jimmy was subsidizing his groceries on his grim PD income.

Hell Chuck might have a bank account. He just has no way of accessing it due to his "condition".

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gale could've been paid through the multi-national Lydia was in with?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Chicanery's podcast said they even dug up a disbarment hearing from the disciplinary commission for North Carolina. It dragged on for 6 hours and they watched the whole thing.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So was the doctor Chuck called the ER doctor from S1 and 2?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

If Chuck had allowed the attorney representing the Bar to finish the objection that he was making to Jimmy's antics, there's a good chance that the panel WOULD have sided with Chuck and told Jimmy off. The fact that Chuck thinks he's only person capable of seeing through Jimmy's chicanery and feels the need to point out that what Jimmy is doing is a circus act is what ultimately makes him looks like a paranoid loon. Even if we, the audience, know that everything Chuck is saying is factually accurate, it doesn't matter because that wasn't the time to bring it up.

Moreover, Chuck shouldn't have put himself on the stand on the first place. Howard was absolutely right, a break in and assault with two witnesses, combined with Jimmy's confession from the PPD, was already an ironclad case for disbarment. It's only by introducing the tape itself and Chuck putting himself on the stand that he opens the door for Jimmy to wiggle out of it. If Chuck actually cared about Jimmy, if he was actually doing all this for Jimmy's own good, he wouldn't have stepped foot into the hearing in the first place.

At least in Chuck's view, I think he hinted that if he didn't testify, the board would likely sanction him but not disbar him. To Chuck, his testimony gets them from suspension to disbarment.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

NowonSA posted:

Gah of course, how could I forget this one. Okay they hit a nice even rule of 3, that's cool.

Another thing I've noticed is the use of pools. Don Eladio, Hector, Jimmy, and the Skyler family all have scenes while in or near a pool.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Everyone's favorite snarky cameraman was in the new Twin Peaks.

I recognized him right away.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

Hey law people, could Jimmy legally handle the administrative aspects of Kim's work? He wouldn't be practicing law, just helping Francesca make copies and file papers and mail stuff and whatnot

I know a guy whose law license is "inactive". He still does do work for legal firms (administrative, as you put it). He just can't act as a lawyer.

The question for Jimmy would be if he would respect those rules. And this episode clearly shows he does not. I really believe he was illegally practicing law in this episode. He didn't come out and say "in my legal opinion", but that was definitely how he presented himself to former clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think a criminal of the week type show would have been better. At least then I'd get to see a lawyer be a lawyer. The opening trial and the Chuck trial were my favorite parts of the show so far.

I actually think this show does a really good job of showing lawyers being lawyers. A lot of lawyers, particularly those outside of criminal prosecution and criminal defense, rarely step inside a court room. It is a lot of meeting with clients, paper work, administrative hearings.

Of the four primary lawyers on the show, two (Chuck and Howard) are senior partners at a influential law firm and are rarely going to do any court work themselves. Kim is basically dedicated to 1-2 clients who need her for filings and what not, and not a lot of indication she's in a court room. Jimmy mainly does elder law and is just helping clients directly. Besides the bar hearing (which is kind of a court but kind of not) and S1 Public defender stuff, we don't see the court room that often and we really shouldn't.

• Locked thread