Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Could the UK really stop Spain from taking Gibraltar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

uk should nuke the poo poo out of madrid imo

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I was reading about this yesterday and it was loving hilarious

I hope Scotland leaves the UK, Ireland is reunited, and Gibraltar is returned to Spain all because seniors in the Manchester suburbs are mad about Poles and Muslims, and the lasting legacy of Nigel Farage and BoJo is shattering the last remnants of the empire

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Spain and the British were the evilest empires in history so MAD would be the best conclusion.

Shame about Madrid and Barcelona though, lovely cities.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

I hope Scotland leaves the UK, Ireland is reunited, and Gibraltar is returned to Spain all because seniors in the Manchester suburbs are mad about Poles and Muslims, and the lasting legacy of Nigel Farage and BoJo is shattering the last remnants of the empire

Then Catalonia and Basque Country become independent and Galicia merges with Portugal

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Plutonis posted:

Spain and the British were the evilest empires in history so MAD would be the best conclusion.

Shame about Madrid and Barcelona though, lovely cities.

Spain don't have nukes so they can gently caress off. Nuke france first to take out their capability and then lets conquer europe imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

spain should give those places in morocco back to morocco before moaning about gibraltar

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

we hosed up the last broke spanish speaking country that started poo poo we can do it again

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jose posted:

spain should give those places in morocco back to morocco before moaning about gibraltar

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Jose posted:

I definitely did not know they still had land in Ceuta but this is maybe colored by me managing to lose it every time I play as Portugal in Europa

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Fullhouse posted:

Now would be a good time for Argentina to reclaim the Falklands? Or would it since it seems like Britain really really wants to shoot someone?

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
There is no way the magnificent disasters that are Spain and Argentina could tangle with even the sad, pathetic mess that in the United Kingdom, but I encourage them to try, since it would be extremely funny

Yeah i think they could stop them from taking Gibraltar but they wouldn't have to because the Spanish government would collapse three times before they could get in any effective posturing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The spanish government should show the same decency our insanely poo poo one did and offer catalonia and independence referendum

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i wonder which headline the sun will do this time when britain inevitably does a war crime in spain

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Well since Jose here brought up Spanish Morocco, you all know how Morocco took over most of Western Sahara right? They marched hundreds of thousands of demonstrators across the border and dared the Spanish to fire a shot. If the Spanish did the same in Gibraltar, would the Limeys have the balls to kill a bunch of demonstrators?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jose posted:

The spanish government should show the same decency our insanely poo poo one did and offer catalonia and independence referendum

They are actually going to this year or the next one lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Plutonis posted:

They are actually going to this year or the next one lol

Holy f*ck yes.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Trade Gibraltar to Spain in exchange for Melilla and Ceuta bing bing bong

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fortunately spain would be the aggressors in any possible war

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the way I understood it was basically that the EU council gave Spain the final legal say on the status of Gibraltar if Britain proceeded with exit plans (since Gibraltar voted to remain at like 96% or something nutty) so if anything the EU itself would be the aggressor in such a conflict since they're implicitly backing Spain

I also don't understand european parliament poo poo in the slightest so that's probably wrong

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

What the Hell is the point of even keeping Gibraltar anyway?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it's an additional 1 power per turn, dude

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Holy f*ck yes.

Literally everywhere I went in Barcelona had separatist banners and flags and all the newspapers from madrid were bemoaning that the separatist-led regional government and congress were trying to strongarm the referendum forward. Basque Separatism is pretty much dead though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Originally it pretty much gave the British Empire and the Royal Navy pretty much complete control of who could enter or leave the Mediterranean but since the Egyptians nationalized the Suez channel what's honestly the point.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i should probably curse the hell out of spain and let the uk treat them as they treated the Nahuas, but I just don't know if we should trust Brexit Britain.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Plutonis posted:

my man let me tell u about Belgium

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Belgium only did atrocities in a single continent instead of all of them

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Could the UK really stop Spain from taking Gibraltar?

yes

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Fullhouse posted:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

Belgium only did atrocities in a single continent instead of all of them
Yeah, but it was a real doozy

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

rudatron posted:

:agreed:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

rudatron posted:

Their empire was small and relatively short lived so they managed to achieve an atrocity density well in excess of many larger, more well-known colonial powers.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Their empire was small and relatively short lived so they managed to achieve an atrocity density well in excess of many larger, more well-known colonial powers.

Dunno man turns out every plantation economy is uh bad.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Lawman 0 posted:

Dunno man turns out every plantation economy is uh bad.

Portugal's atrocities are pretty underrated imo, their brazilian plantations drove the trans-atlantic slave trade for decades because they worked their slaves literally to death.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Fallen Hamprince posted:

all that while not even being a real Country, or cultures

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Portugal's atrocities are pretty underrated imo, their brazilian plantations drove the trans-atlantic slave trade for decades because they worked their slaves literally to death.

Also how when they finally abolished it they overthrew don Pedro because they were so mad.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

cant spain take the entirety of british grandparents hostage since all old brits live there anyway

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
We're more worried about them letting all out grandparents come back to Britain. The NHS is already hosed without an extra hundred thousand old farts with skin cancer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Brown Menace posted:

cant spain take the entirety of british grandparents hostage since all old brits live there anyway

It's a sacrifice I'm happy to make when we nuke Spain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Won't somebody think of the boomers said nobody ever

• Locked thread