Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Greetings, everyone, and welcome to...

INSIDE is... a weird game. It is the successor to 2010's Limbo, and if you've played that you probably know what I mean. To be quite honest, while I enjoyed Limbo it didn't blow my mind, so I had written INSIDE off as 'more of the same', until Kragger99 gifted me the game during the Christmas sale (thanks a lot mate! :D), I fired it up... and finished it in a single session. While not a particularly long game, I hadn't done that in forever, so it left quite an impression on me.

INSIDE Is the successor to 2010's Limbo. While not a sequel, it's really hard to miss the similarities between the titles: They're both 2D platformers in which you control a small boy in a hostile monochromatic world while horrible things happen around you. Limbo was well received, and I think a big part of that was how different it looked from most everything around that time, even if I recall a few games doing the 'horrible things happen to little boy' thing back then.

It wasn't without its share of issues though, and cheap deaths were one of the biggest. Traps were very difficult to see due the game's art direction, so it was full of 'gotcha' moments involving dying to things you had had no real way of seeing coming until you triggered them. This got worse as the game went on, including some puzzles where two identical switches would behave differently, which led you to die to pushing the first one, and then die again to the second one because that one killed you when you pulled, with no discernible difference between them.
All in all, Limbo was an enjoyable experience, and if you haven't played it you may want to check salttotart's LP of it. There's not much linking the two games other than the art design and 'feel', so you won't be missing much if you don't, it's just a neat game.
You can think of INSIDE as a refined version of its predecessor in this regard: way fewer 'gotcha' moments (and most of them you can see coming if you're on the ball), and even if the difficulty suffers a bit for it it ends up being a much enjoyable experience for it.

INSIDE works much better when you go along with the atmosphere it creates, so I heartily suggest you dim the lights, fix yourself a drink, and put on your headphones.

This will be a subtitled LP; I will be getting all collectibles and secrets. Let's leave it at this for now.

I'll be editing out deaths. I know, I know, the horrible elaborate deaths are part of the experience, but INSIDE has a... flow to its more action-oriented sections, and I find that deaths and reloads make that flow come to a grinding halt. Every video will have a death montage at the end, so stick around if you want to see horrible things happening to a boy. You monster.
Speaking of editing, I'll try not to have cuts within updates (or hide them whenever possible), but it's not always easy to get a 'clean run' and my last LP has taught me that sometimes it's better to make a quick cut than going insane replaying a level.

Spoiler policy?
None. I loving mean it. Not even in tags.
INSIDE lends itself to speculation rather readily and I definitely encourage it, but trying to pass a spoiler as "I was just speculating" will be considered A Dick Move. If you've finished the game, you know I'll be able to tell, so just don't.

If you plan on following the LP I strongly suggest you avoid googling information on the game just to be on the safe side. I'll be posting video links using Polsy to avoid accidental spoilers in the 'suggested/related videos' in YT since I've seen it happen in a few LPs in the past.

Update Schedule?
Once a week, probably on Mondays.

Hey, I have a suggestion/critique for your LP.
Go right ahead and post it. I'm still new to this so I'm bound to make mistakes, and the only way to improve is with feedback. Just don't be a dick about it. :v:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Video notes:

The worm I pull out of the pig in the farm is very reminiscent of the mind worms from Limbo, which embedded themselves into the boy's head and controlled his movements until you exposed them to sunlight:

Limbo mind worm:

INSIDE's:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 3, 2017

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Jumping in on this at the ground floor!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Inside is an achievement in videogames in all of the technical senses of the word. It's not that every single part of it is revolutionary and awe-inspiring in and of itself (well maybe one bit is) but that the totality of the thing is just so flawlessly executed; it seamlessly flows from beginning to end through setpieces and atmospheres and presentations and mechanics in a single, unbroken line, fluid but unwavering, and every scrap of it is beautiful. It even runs at 60fps for chrissakes!

I'll gush more later. Count on that.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I never played Limbo, but I played this game in 1 sitting when I bought it, too. It has just that right kind of atmosphere and mystery that it pulls you in. Definitely along for the ride on this one.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Just watched the first episode. Your commentary is as captivating as the game is. Very nicely done!
I too played/finished this amazing game in one sitting. It's got to be in the top 10 most memorable games I've ever played.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I've heard good things (about Edmond or INSIDE you ask? It's up for debate.) so definitely going to follow this.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I played and loved LIMBO way back when, this looks super cool! As you pointed out, the colour design is just great.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 3, 2017

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I just received a 40% off coupon for INSIDE. This thread is already getting creepy.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
For some reason, this game slipped under my radar, and I really have no idea why. It looks really tense and flows amazingly from what I've seen so far. Still, it means that I'll be going through this completely unspoiled, which should be nice.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
This is a great game, and I'm really liking the LP so far. I don't usually go for subtitle VLPs, but it was absolutely the right choice for this game, and well executed.

My story is that I played this game with my son, who was 4 at the time, and as we're already seeing, this may not have been the best parenting choice I've ever made.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
To all of you who haven't played Inside: I'm quite looking forward to reading your impressions as we go through the game.

Fedule posted:

the totality of the thing is just so flawlessly executed; it seamlessly flows from beginning to end through setpieces and atmospheres and presentations and mechanics in a single, unbroken line, fluid but unwavering, and every scrap of it is beautiful. It even runs at 60fps for chrissakes!
Which is why I ended playing it in a single session. You know that feeling you get when you're about to finish a book, and you're about to call it a night but you realise you're super close to the end so you just have to keep going? Well, Inside gives you that feeling all through the game. It hooks you from the start, you keep going just a little more and suddenly it's 3 hours later and you've finished the game.

I'll be counting on that,

Fedule posted:

I'll gush more later. Count on that.
Please do, it's always great when people fanboy about the games they love.

Kragger99 posted:

Just watched the first episode. Your commentary is as captivating as the game is. Very nicely done!
:D Thank you for the gift! As you can see, I kinda enjoyed it.

Ragequit posted:

I just received a 40% off coupon for INSIDE. This thread is already getting creepy.
:unsmigghh:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The shuffle-march of the (don'tusethewordzombiesdon'tusethewordzombies) "zombie-esque" figures (eh, good enough) is pretty creepy and effective. I'm looking forward to see where this game goes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ragequit posted:

People with Limbo get the coupon.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Been really looking forward to someone LPing this. Quite good so far, as well. :)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Brilliant first episode to this LP. I just bought the game due to your video, and man, you really do feel the visceral nature of the chase. Death has caused me a jolt on more than one occasion.

I'm looking forward to watching more of your vids to see all the stuff that I will invariably miss!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Looks to me like some sort of 'alien invasion' scenario- everything is abandoned and in ruins, the population is being rounded up, there's some sort of mind suppression technology.

That said, it's not necessarily aliens, I guess. What's behind this and what they're doing with the people rounded up remains mysterious.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

How long is this game? You said there were 14 orbs and you've found almost half of them.

Also, that kid has hella cardiovascular training.

Also, one of the mice did die, the poor thing.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mr.Tophat posted:

Brilliant first episode to this LP. I just bought the game due to your video, and man, you really do feel the visceral nature of the chase. Death has caused me a jolt on more than one occasion.
Thanks! Also I think that's the first time someone bought a game because of my LP, so :toot:

The chase sequences are incredibly tense, my only issue is that dying during them kills that 'flow' I mentioned a couple of times. Deaths come super fast (that single snap shot if the guard in the truck sees you comes to mind), and while they're really effective at causing a response in the player, they break the flow of the sequence, and those sections really work better as an uninterrupted whole. Hope I'm making sense with this. :v:

By the way, I got the 40% off discount as well, so if anybody wants it give me a shout.

Samovar posted:

How long is this game? You said there were 14 orbs and you've found almost half of them.

Also, that kid has hella cardiovascular training.

Also, one of the mice did die, the poor thing.
The game is about 3, 3 and a half hours long on a blind playthrough. This LP will probably run a bit shorter since I'm editing out deaths and going straight for puzzle solutions most of the time, but as I mentioned before the puzzles aren't particularly hard, so it's not like I'll be halving that time.

Orbs are 'grouped up' as it were; that 5th one is the last one we'll see for a while.

Told ya the kid is ripped.

Also HE'S NOT DEAD HE'S JUST RESTING HE'S TIRED FROM HELPING US. :negative: I thought they were chicks and not mice?

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 4, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
I thought they were chicks too.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I think we went through four different biomes in this video (forest with a river, farm, industrial with a subway, and city), and the boundaries were really well-hidden (except I guess the Snake Eater ladder).

I'm also thinking that it's an alien invasion, kinda like Half-Life 2. It'll be neat to finally find out what the everything was for!

I'm calling it: We're a science experiment to find out how strong a ten-year-old boy could be, but we ran away when they killed our [INSERT PET HERE].

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Scalding Coffee posted:

People with Limbo get the coupon.

Wow, rude. Edmond said no spoilers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

I thought they were chicks and not mice?

nweismuller posted:

I thought they were chicks too.

Whatever they are they seem to be made out of metal.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Reminds me a lot of Out of This World. The wordless storytelling and horrific deaths seem similar, at least.

Also those are totally chicks. Mice don't come in yellow.

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 4, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Ooh, I love this game. It's startling atmospheric and beautiful. I'd be happy to discuss the plot once we're further into the game. The presentation, artistry, and mood is enough for me to say that this game is a special treat that I'm glad to have experienced though.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I really do wonder how it is that the kid instinctively knew that yanking out that particular part from the orbs would knock them out of commission. We are on the run from the suited men, so we can assume that we saw or got involved with something we weren't supposed to, but it's still a mystery as to how and why.

Similarly, it's a bit strange that whatever shadowy entity's behind all this decided to set their equipment up in a random building in the middle of nowhere. Normally you can just explain that on the basis of "It's a game and we needed an easy tutorial on the mind control hat" but I like to assume there is thought put into stuff like this.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
This game is... something. I know the boy doesn't have a name, but the first time I saw a playthrough, I kept calling him Billy.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I think we went through four different biomes in this video (forest with a river, farm, industrial with a subway, and city), and the boundaries were really well-hidden (except I guess the Snake Eater ladder).
It's fantastic, and it does that through the whole game. Oh, the places we'll go!

Quicksilver6 posted:

Reminds me a lot of Out of This World. The wordless storytelling and horrific deaths seem similar, at least.
That's not a bad comparison, actually. I feel OOTW did have a bit more context, however (at least with the intro cutscene you knew how and why you got there).

Blastinus posted:

I really do wonder how it is that the kid instinctively knew that yanking out that particular part from the orbs would knock them out of commission.
The orbs have that sci-fi 'turn and pull' kind of handle in the middle, which is what we pull out:

So I think it's more a case of 'this looks important' and not necessary evidence of the kid knowing about them.

Blastinus posted:

Similarly, it's a bit strange that whatever shadowy entity's behind all this decided to set their equipment up in a random building in the middle of nowhere.
That could be explained as being used to control the blokes in the back to do construction work (we did take down some scaffolding); it would make sense to use those... drones for heavy lifting/dangerous work.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man this kid really hates party light machines.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Man this kid really hates party light machines.

I hate like 98% of the Spencer's Gifts catalogue too, so I can relate.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

nvm

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 6, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"He felt like he was making progress, but there wasn’t really any way to know. He seemed to be moving predominantly up and to the right, which might, or might not, be important."

Not that I don't appreciate a game that has an idea and really sticks to it, but it seemed like something to say.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren:Sale alert!:siren:

Next month's Humble Bundle has INSIDE and DiRT Rally as early unlocks for 12 bucks. That's a stupidly good deal, so if you're even remotely interested in any of those titles, go grab it

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

:siren:Sale alert!:siren:

Next month's Humble Bundle has INSIDE and DiRT Rally as early unlocks for 12 bucks. That's a stupidly good deal, so if you're even remotely interested in any of those titles, go grab it

This had to happen the one month I absolutely cannot afford it :(

(Been waiting for an excuse to see if a humble monthly subscription would be worth it for me and if I didn't have a huge thing coming up this would be a perfect excuse.)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Update time! :siren:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 11, 2017

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Another brilliant episode! The next video will contain one of the most memorable parts of the game for me.
Can't wait.
Love the death reel at the end. If this was my LP, that part would be as long as the main video :smith:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

God the animation and graphical design in this game is good. The moment in the first video when the van comes round the corner and the kid looks over at it and speeds up a little. The way he over-balances and falls down when breaking planks off of doors. The enormous spaces you burst into. And the colors, jesus.

Play this game it is the best.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I don't know what's up with those creepy masks at 3:00, but even more disturbingly, it appears to be Take Your Kid to Work Day. One woman even brought a baby. What are they doing? Shopping for slaves?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kragger99 posted:

Another brilliant episode! The next video will contain one of the most memorable parts of the game for me.
Can't wait.
Love the death reel at the end. If this was my LP, that part would be as long as the main video :smith:
Remember this is replaying and editing, I can (mostly) recall what's coming up and plan for it but some of the deaths you see at the end were not for the purpose of showing them off . :v:

Mechanical Ape posted:

I don't know what's up with those creepy masks at 3:00, but even more disturbingly, it appears to be Take Your Kid to Work Day. One woman even brought a baby. What are they doing? Shopping for slaves?
And where are they getting them from? We saw them load them up in the forest, but how are they connected to it? Is it the pods? Something else?

megane posted:

God the animation and graphical design in this game is good. The moment in the first video when the van comes round the corner and the kid looks over at it and speeds up a little. The way he over-balances and falls down when breaking planks off of doors. The enormous spaces you burst into. And the colors, jesus.

Play this game it is the best.
Yeah, the art direction is amazing. I've been trying to be super careful with my encoding settings as to preserve the graphics the best I can, but unfortunately youtube has the final word on that and the end result is a bit below what I'd really like (though better than some videos of this game I've seen online, holy poo poo encoding is not nice to Inside). So, if you have the chance to play the game for yourselves I highly recommend you do it and then come back and discuss your experience with the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I know it's already been said, but this game's atmosphere is loving fantastic! The deep area after you first get the sub highlights your new sense of exploration. How the kid tilts his head at interesting things. Speeds up when the dogs start chasing. How you escape from one dog to have 3 suddenly running you down. A+

It really feels like Limbo 'only better' from the videos, and that's not a bad thing. For some reason the dull tones and lighting remind me of Another World, which is also in the 'everything in this world wants to kill me' genre. Already had the Humble Bundle ordered up for this month, so I'm going to have to wait till the end of the month to give this a go.

• Locked thread