Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Please Edmond, the dogs are not bastards.

They're sons-of-bitches, surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Little did we know that the LPer actually purchased one of those slaves. He always wanted a mute one particularly...Count of Monte Cristo Joke

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Forgot about this:

Kragger99 posted:

The next video will contain one of the most memorable parts of the game for me.
If it's the one I'm thinking about (which is my favourite part of the game bar none), it'll be coming in update 4, the next section takes a bit longer than I remembered.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

For some reason the dull tones and lighting remind me of Another World, which is also in the 'everything in this world wants to kill me' genre.
You're the second person to mention that, and recently I was talking about Inside with a friend of mine who knows nothing about videogames, and he went "that reminds me of Out Of This World". I can see what you both mean, but they feel different to me somehow (age gap notwithstanding). Was certainly not the first association I made with this game at least. :v:

Samovar posted:

Please Edmond, the dogs are not bastards.

They're sons-of-bitches, surely.
Boo this man! Boo him!

BioEnchanted posted:

Little did we know that the LPer actually purchased one of those slaves. He always wanted a mute one particularly...Count of Monte Cristo Joke
Only if he's a Nubian. (And a Greek girl, I need them for a thing I'm planning).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

megane posted:

God the animation and graphical design in this game is good. The moment in the first video when the van comes round the corner and the kid looks over at it and speeds up a little. The way he over-balances and falls down when breaking planks off of doors. The enormous spaces you burst into. And the colors, jesus.

Play this game it is the best.

If you screw up one of the early chase sequences one of the men shoots the kid and then calmly stands by and watches him try to feebly crawl away before he bleeds out. It's kind of hosed up!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I thought the kid was just passing out. If you look closely during the gun deaths, you can see a huge tranq dart sticking out of him. There is that one bit where, if they catch you in the water, the guy just straight-up drowns you though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I wonder what flooded everything. I'd say we were headed into some kind of sinkhole, but everything's tilting a little too far down and to the left to make that make sense.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Looking at the death reels, it looks like (to me, at least) that the dogs and the falling are the ones that flat out kill you.

Also, Edmond you are a bastard for making me jump towards the end of this episode. You know what I'm talking about.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Really does seem like the whole world has it out for this kid, doesn't it? I was half-expecting some kind of big fish to just suddenly appear and swallow the sub whole, with the luck that the kid has been having.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Miz Kriss posted:

Also, Edmond you are a bastard for making me jump towards the end of this episode. You know what I'm talking about.
That's just the game being a bastard. It was calculated specifically to press my phobia button, and I peaced the gently caress out, to wait for an LP.

The game is similar to the Another World in that it's beautifully and fluidly animated, has a range of interactions with a hostile world in which your constantly chased, I guess.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Miz Kriss posted:

Looking at the death reels, it looks like (to me, at least) that the dogs and the falling are the ones that flat out kill you.

No, the dogs in this world don't have teeth. In their mouths there is nothing but rows of syringes filled with red-colored fast-acting sedatives. It's fine, nothing worse than a trip to the dentist.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Oxxidation posted:

one of the men shoots the kid and then calmly stands by and watches him try to feebly crawl away before he bleeds out.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I thought the kid was just passing out. If you look closely during the gun deaths, you can see a huge tranq dart sticking out of him. There is that one bit where, if they catch you in the water, the guy just straight-up drowns you though.
That one in particular looks like he gets shot to death because you almost don't see the dart sticking out of the kid's body, and the 'feathers' at the back of it can kinda look like blood when he falls over:

Dart impact / Hitting the ground:

So far the humans have been using tranq darts, but as Kaboom mentioned, they don't seem too concerned if the kid just dies:

Miz Kriss posted:

The 'automated' stuff looks 100% fatal as well; those harpoons on springs on the searchlights don't look too friendly.

Miz Kriss posted:

I've no idea what you're talking about. :colbert:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Those deaths by dog are gnarly as all hell.

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate

paragon1 posted:

Those deaths by dog are gnarly as all hell.

Yeah, I was just thinking this. Every time we see a 'death by dog' I cringe a whole lot. It's animated so well that it looks like a little kid getting his throat ripped out and then mauled. Ugh.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

The 'automated' stuff looks 100% fatal as well; those harpoons on springs on the searchlights don't look too friendly.

They look like taser shots to me, like the thing is meant to stun and recover the thing it shot at. But it could also be a spring to recover the shot itself and it just impales the victim.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Not to mention that if those tranq darts are designed to be used on adults, they're probably pretty deadly to a kid that size. In real life, tranq darts aren't a good non-lethal alternative to bullets, because more often than not, they're either too weak to knock a person out, or too strong to be considered non-lethal.

Though with the drowning and the dog attacks, I doubt these sinister folks care too much if they accidentally kill the kid.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
"Do we need to capture this person dead or alive?"
"Yes."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I don't think the Kid is anyone special from the point of view of the antagonists. He's just another person that should be a drone.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I was thinking about the reason that they were using tranqs in the starting area is because they might need it for forest critters and it was the only thing they had in hand.

Or the actual reason is that the devs didn't want to straight up murder the kid via gunshot and made the ammo tranq darts so it is a bit ambiguous if the kid is dead or not, despite the kid mostly likely drowning a few times. :v:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Five bucks says they're​ filled with cyanide, gasoline and spite.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

"Why are we shooting these kids with concentrated fire ant venom?"
"Because we're getting paid 20 bucks an hour."
"...would it be weird if I asked for overtime?"
"For that kind of pay, it'd be weirder if you didn't."

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
You sure those are needles they're firing? From the size of those things, they might actually be lawn darts.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Update time! :siren:

I forgot to mention during the first video; the achievements are tied to the orbs, and they have (rather cryptic) clues as to where to find them:

These are the 5 from the first update:

And these 3 are from this one:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Jesus. I don't know what those swimming things were, but that's brutal.

Also, drat you for leaving us on such a cliffhanger!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Huh, I didn't expect the game to have a Pikmin section.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Huh. Some of the dudes have hard hats, and some don't. I'm starting to suspect these drones aren't "made", so much as err... "borrowed"? I wonder what they did to all their faces though.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I thought I caught one of the miner drones patting our hero's head in the elevator. If so, :3:.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

inflatablefish posted:

Also, drat you for leaving us on such a cliffhanger!
I didn't plan for it, but I'm glad I hit that transition at around a good time to end the video; both the mines and the area that we'll be going into are long and distinct enough to justify not cutting mid-way through either.

Karate Bastard posted:

Huh. Some of the dudes have hard hats, and some don't. I'm starting to suspect these drones aren't "made", so much as err... "borrowed"? I wonder what they did to all their faces though.
They're also dressed according to the areas you find them in: the ones in the farm look like farmers, these look like construction workers, etc.

As for the faces, that's what they make those masks back in video #2 from :unsmigghh:

Joking aside, I think it's just a stylistic choice; kid doesn't have a face either, and there are some workers in #2 (around the 7:20 mark) that aren't drones that don't have features either.

Hirayuki posted:

I thought I caught one of the miner drones patting our hero's head in the elevator. If so, :3:.
Sorry, I think it's just a gesture, that one guy keeps doing it throughout the mines. :smith:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

Sorry, I think it's just a gesture, that one guy keeps doing it throughout the mines. :smith:
Foo. :smith:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well if that's what is hanging around in the water then shooting strangers on sight and making dogs attack everything that isn't you suddenly seems a lot more reasonable.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
The Girl(? I don't actually know, but the hair[?] makes it look feminine to me) in the water, and what it's trying to do is one of my favorite mystery parts of the game. And this coming update (I believe) has one of my favorite setpieces.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's interesting to think about how strong things are.

Lvl 1, Drone: about same as adult human. Eg cannot toss the boy very high.

Lvl 2, Boy: ripped af, however no match for...

Lvl 3, Dog: (but maybe because of teeth?)

Lvl eek, Girl(?): Jesus.

Someone seems to be experimenting on humans, but to make what? Are the drones failures? Are we an escaped experiment with supermen? If so, what's​ Girl?

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
drat this game is so visually interesting. What's making all the booming?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Looking forward impatiently to the next update, because I know what's coming next and drat it's one of my favorite sections of the game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ousire posted:

Looking forward impatiently to the next update, because I know what's coming next and drat it's one of my favorite sections of the game.

The next section has my favourite gotcha-death in the entire game.
It's 100% avoidable just by paying attention but if you're not it's hilarious in how it gets you.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ashrik posted:

drat this game is so visually interesting.
Both visual and audio design are incredible; I'm a sucker for good sound design in games (I'm a notorious Alien: Isolation apologist, and I'll never get tired of gushing about its audio direction) and I know it sounds a bit trite when I start an LP with "dim the lights and get the headphones", but holy poo poo does Inside come to life when you have the sound up. There are a lot of very low key sound cues, like the kid's breathing quickening when he sees the truck pull up behind him in the forest, or the sound the sound the girl(?) makes as soon as you point the sub's light somewhere else (which, if you had any doubt as to her(?) intentions regarding the Kid, that sound should clear them up right away).

And then you have things like the music in the gigantic dam(?) area with the sub, or the background booming which gets louder as you approach the gate and how it changes as the gate opens and holy poo poo. Seriously, go back to the 3rd video at the 22 min mark and pay attention to how the game handles the gate opening, music and sound-wise. It's just brilliant.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Nixie tubes just started out looking retro and only went back from there.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'd punch a guy's grandma, right in front of him for a nixie tube clock. Seriously, I'll do it, those things are cool as hell.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Death by decompression is one of the more horrible ways to go.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Really enjoying this, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Glazius posted:

Nixie tubes just started out looking retro and only went back from there.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'd punch a guy's grandma, right in front of him for a nixie tube clock. Seriously, I'll do it, those things are cool as hell.
You know, I remembered them being a tad expensive, but 325 dollars for one? (and a kit at that?) :staredog:
They're so nice though... :ohdear:

Samovar posted:

Death by decompression is one of the more horrible ways to go.
My dad was a diver for a good long while; between his horror stories and The Abyss I have a healthy terror respect for underwater activities below human diving depth.

Montalvo posted:

Really enjoying this, thanks!
:D

• Locked thread