Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
How many playthroughs did it take for you to know where all the party orbs are? I've only seen two blind playthroughs, and they found maybe one or two. As such, I have no clue as to what they actually do other than give you achievements as your pics under the latest update showed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There was a conspicuous door with a number of lights next to it, as I recall. Maybe there's something cool inside!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Youtube compression has not been kind to this game, goddamn.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I was going to wait a bit to post this, but since we're all here, it's :siren: Update time! :siren:

Before we begin: This is the update you'll want to have good sound for, so crank that volume up and avoid watching it from your mobile/tablet if at all possible. Grab those headphones!
Without further ado:

These are the orb 'hints' for this episode:

Miz Kriss posted:

How many playthroughs did it take for you to know where all the party orbs are? I've only seen two blind playthroughs, and they found maybe one or two. As such, I have no clue as to what they actually do other than give you achievements as your pics under the latest update showed.
I played the game twice before starting this, and I never found them all on my own. Once you know to look for the cables it's a bit easier, but some of them (like the one where you have to ram the wall and one that'll be coming up in update #5) are just super dickish. There's also another factor aside from the orbs that we'll eventually need to show something off which is even more ridiculous and I have no idea how you're supposed to figure it out without a guide, but we're still a ways off.

HardDiskD posted:

No, no it hasn't. I modified my whole workflow after the first update since I wanted to get it looking as good as possible; I have the weirdest loving setup for encoding with subtitles out of Premiere without having to do 2 encoding passes -which I did for LL and it looked really good- but Youtube just murders it. :smith:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 1, 2017

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Thanks, Thread, for reminding me of this game. My first playthrough was great "fun" and I am looking forward to playing this again while vaguely remembering solutions.

So here's a thing I always wondered about the first sequence where you get chased by those men: are the people here... masked? Or are they faceless?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mindblast posted:

So here's a thing I always wondered about the first sequence where you get chased by those men: are the people here... masked? Or are they faceless?
Nobody has a face in the game, it's an art direction thing. Having said that, some people wear masks, like the guards at the beginning or the people to the sides of the drone line. Not everybody wears masks though, you can see some non-drone workers in the background in some parts without masks (or faces, for that matter).

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Episode Four: we are the sub now

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Great job as always, I just love the set pieces for this game. A question for the lucky ones experiencing this all for the first time: what do you make of the sequence about 13 minutes into the video? What happens there, in your opinion?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

resurgam40 posted:

What happens there, in your opinion?

My interpretation is that the underwater creature 'infects' or transmits the boy with whatever it is that allows it to breathe underwater.

The death reel on at the end of this episode was the first one I've watched, and I was really startled by the gore involved in the shockwave deaths. I'm not sure why, but that degree of violence (blood splatters and chunking) was the last thing I expected from this game.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Montalvo posted:

The death reel on at the end of this episode was the first one I've watched, and I was really startled by the gore involved in the shockwave deaths. I'm not sure why, but that degree of violence (blood splatters and chunking) was the last thing I expected from this game.

Yeah, all deaths caused by the dogs in this game are really brutal, too. I remember those being the worst for me when I played this game, I tried my hardest to not get killed by dogs as much as possible, it is just so unsettling. :(

megane
Jun 20, 2008

One thing I was waiting to point out happened right at the beginning of this video, and it's one of the cleanest examples of good game design I've ever seen. In order to make it out into the area where you can die, you have to push a box in front of you, meaning you are forced to watch something get destroyed before you're in any danger yourself. It's just perfect.

That mournful howl from the turbine literally gave me chills when I played this. God drat.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Ooooo... Kaayyy...?? We're Aquaman now, I guess? Sure game, why not?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
The part that confuses me the most about that sequence was the meaning of the power cord. Considering that we have video evidence of our protagonist being blasted into boy bits, I don't think we're an android or anything, so why did the girl attach the cable?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HardDiskD posted:

Even without video compression, standard 24bpp colour isn't kind to this game's art style. Playdead had to implement heavy dithering to keep it from showing banding artifacts absolutely everywhere.

They did a GDC talk about the rendering tech they used if anyone's interested (but it might spoil some areas we haven't seen in the LP yet).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

resurgam40 posted:

Great job as always, I just love the set pieces for this game. A question for the lucky ones experiencing this all for the first time: what do you make of the sequence about 13 minutes into the video? What happens there, in your opinion?
The girl drowns the boy and then seems to... stick some sort of cable in his chest. I presume whatever the cable's function is, it unlocked the ability to breathe underwater in him.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

resurgam40 posted:

The water nymph... plugs? Something into the boy? Makes me wonder if the boy is actually human and not some kind of... biomechanical robot.

Also, kinda annoyed at noticing this, but at 16:20 the boy and the fish don't cast shadows.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

For some reason I think it's adorable that the fish start following you. :3:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, I don't know if we're going to get the full story spelled out, but looking at all the elements of the world so far and trying to fit them into some kind of coherent whole seems to suggest a very ugly, bleak dystopia. It's unclear if the boy, his captors, the drones, or the water nymphs are even human in the traditional sense, but given all the other trappings of farms and roads and trucks the implication seems to be that 'those happy few' in the masks are directing some sort of large facility founded on mind control and mad science. If that's the case, then the nymphs were probably human too; the cable could be related to their creation, though whether the nymph in question was feeling unusually compassionate or following some sort of programming isn't particularly clear either. We also still don't know for sure how the boy fits into everything, though the fact he started in a forest with windowed canisters like the controlled environment that the labs had is certainly suggestive.

I do wonder if there's supposed to be a sense of ongoing (or recently concluded) conflict. The pressure waves and the collapsed facilities don't seem...productive and orderly in the way a place run off of mind-controlled slave labor otherwise seems like it should.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It looking like an umbilical cord seems pretty intentional, so I'm sure whatever it means will be something insane.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I mean, if we're going full art-game theory on this, I wanna be the first on the communism bandwagon. I mean yeah maybe this is all one giant metaphor and the boy is just a cancerous growth shutting down vital parts of the immune system (the orbs) while dodging and hiding from various clean-up mechanisms (dogs, the testing robots), but I mean, we got to see a pig farm! 1950's/1960's-style mask iconography! The boy has a red shirt, come on, when is the last time the plight of the proletariat got to be the big art-game metaphor?

For context, I'm not making fun of you, I just love having excuses to play the wild speculation game. I apologize if I made an rear end of myself in so doing.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm not jumping in on the speculation train since I don't want anything I say to be constructed as a 'wink wink nudge nudge' or outright spoilers, but please go wild with them. I've been trying to point out some easy to miss stuff during gameplay but I've been avoiding outright making connections between some of the stuff we've seen so far. I'll go full conspiracy theory once we finish the game though.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

come on, when is the last time the plight of the proletariat got to be the big art-game metaphor?
Hahaha, just yesterday I was playing a Guild Wars 2 dungeon that basically consists on squashing a proletariat rebellion. Hell, they even have a hammer and pickaxe as their symbol. I kept laughing as I showed them that The People couldn't do poo poo against superior Imperialist invaders. :colbert:

Though it wasn't as much a metaphor as completely ham-fisted I guess.

megane posted:

One thing I was waiting to point out happened right at the beginning of this video, and it's one of the cleanest examples of good game design I've ever seen. In order to make it out into the area where you can die, you have to push a box in front of you, meaning you are forced to watch something get destroyed before you're in any danger yourself. It's just perfect.

That mournful howl from the turbine literally gave me chills when I played this. God drat.
Yup, Inside is the anti-Limbo in that regard. You can always see what's going to happen murder you horribly, even if sometimes it'll probably be just a bit too fast for you to get clear of danger the first time through (hiding in the cave in the first video comes to mind).

Hell, even knowing what's coming up I manage to die quite a bit during some sequences; the dogs in the abandoned subway section got me more than once because I got greedy. :allears:
What, you thought the updates were a single, perfectly-played take? Last update alone has footage from 5 different takes edited in. :ssh:
And yeah, that wailing and the shockwaves are why I insisted so much on listening properly to this update.

repiv posted:

They did a GDC talk about the rendering tech they used if anyone's interested (but it might spoil some areas we haven't seen in the LP yet).
That sounds super interesting but yeah, please hold on to it until we complete the game just in case. That's one of the reasons I keep using Polsy instead of linking directly to YT, I want to avoid any 'related videos' spoilers.

Miz Kriss posted:

For some reason I think it's adorable that the fish start following you. :3:
I'm just glad we didn't have to murder them to jam the turbines or something like what we did with the chicks in the farm. :3:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sure is convenient that the stuff that is exposed 24/7 to constant blasting only just starts to fall apart as you get to it.

Well, unless it only just started up recently?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

That "railing not braced at the bottom" bit is my favourite death in terms of how it can catch a player off-guard, and the animation for it is pretty goofy.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Samovar posted:

The water nymph... plugs? Something into the boy? Makes me wonder if the boy is actually human and not some kind of... biomechanical robot.

Also, kinda annoyed at noticing this, but at 16:20 the boy and the fish don't cast shadows.

The boy is now a vampire :drac:, that's what the plug did.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I would be amused if the boy's freakish strength is more than just a gameplay conceit, but it would raise the question of how he fails to get away from, well, anything in a struggle.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm just glad we didn't have to murder them to jam the turbines or something like what we did with the chicks in the farm. :3:
Those little chickens survived! They just went for a ride, that's all :colbert:

bewilderment posted:

That "railing not braced at the bottom" bit is my favourite death in terms of how it can catch a player off-guard, and the animation for it is pretty goofy.

Mine's that one and the rotating piece right after that because so many people think that they just need to stop it over the ladder, and nope.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yeah, I don't know if we're going to get the full story spelled out, but looking at all the elements of the world so far and trying to fit them into some kind of coherent whole seems to suggest a very ugly, bleak dystopia. It's unclear if the boy, his captors, the drones, or the water nymphs are even human in the traditional sense, but given all the other trappings of farms and roads and trucks the implication seems to be that 'those happy few' in the masks are directing some sort of large facility founded on mind control and mad science. If that's the case, then the nymphs were probably human too; the cable could be related to their creation, though whether the nymph in question was feeling unusually compassionate or following some sort of programming isn't particularly clear either. We also still don't know for sure how the boy fits into everything, though the fact he started in a forest with windowed canisters like the controlled environment that the labs had is certainly suggestive.

I do wonder if there's supposed to be a sense of ongoing (or recently concluded) conflict. The pressure waves and the collapsed facilities don't seem...productive and orderly in the way a place run off of mind-controlled slave labor otherwise seems like it should.

One of the things I always wondered is about that early worker drone segment. You march along, pretending to be a drone, and while it makes sense that there are guards and guard dogs, search lights etc you also see regular people on the sideline. It almost looks like a family watching. Are they shopping for slave labor? Trying to spot a lost relative?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

This episode was strict allegory of the boy's sexual awakening. But at the 'climax,' he is the one penetrated by the mermaid figure in a clever reversal of that adolescent fantasy.

Of course, in the supposedly 'non-canon' death reels, the dog attacks filled a similar purpose, as death, discovery and sex are inextricable for the narrative of Inside. But in that case the boy realized he likes loving dogs.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
This is what I was waiting for. The explosions section is hands down my favorite part of the game. You hit it perfectly in the video, that the pacing and tension is just so well done. And it was just really really chilling to me too. When you get into that room full of the crash test dummies, it looks like a lab or a classroom maybe. And then you open the blast doors around it, and watch it all get thrashed. . . The realization that this whole place seems to be one giant place to test bombs was really freaky to me. It's like some old fashioned World War / Cold War weapons testing facility, gauging the impact of nuclear bombs.

Rogue Norwegian
Apr 6, 2011
Something odd that occured to me regarding the water nymphs.

They seem a helluva lot more violent against the sub than against the boy in water alone, and with what the last one did...

The sub was used by people the boy was running from before the boy stole it. So are they acting on a grudge against the sub and trying to (Ineptly for the most part) help the boy? I mean assuming there's some connection between the old labs and whatever organization they are.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ousire posted:

This is what I was waiting for. The explosions section is hands down my favorite part of the game. You hit it perfectly in the video, that the pacing and tension is just so well done. And it was just really really chilling to me too. When you get into that room full of the crash test dummies, it looks like a lab or a classroom maybe. And then you open the blast doors around it, and watch it all get thrashed. . . The realization that this whole place seems to be one giant place to test bombs was really freaky to me. It's like some old fashioned World War / Cold War weapons testing facility, gauging the impact of nuclear bombs.

I think the explosions are too frequent to be weapons testing, but I can't imagine any mining equipment that makes that kind of airblast. Except of course, mining explosives. :v: But even then, usually the explosions aren't that frequent and not in the same place.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm curious why everyone seems to regard the kid as 'escaping' or on the run from someone. Everything about the introduction suggests that he is the trespasser here. He went from an apparently natural setting, over barricades, murdered chicks to get ahead, and continues to break into buildings. There are some points (like on the perimeter with the trucks and dogs) where simply going forward was the only way, but there's a strong suggestion that he is here for some reason other than mere curiosity.

My speculation as to the water scene is that the kid is possibly one of those water creatures, who somehow got out and got a haircut. Maybe he's returning to free them, maybe he's here for some other reason, who knows. That would explain the ability to breathe underwater -- the one that captured him simply reminded him of the power.

But then this is also a world where shockwaves can only move two-dimensionally, so it's hard to say what really makes sense.

I absolutely loved the visual design when he was settling on the bottom, with the human-like figure of the cloak(?) in the water seemingly directing the affair.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I'm just hoping we get a few more hints as to what the hell those airblasts actually are! When we first heard them I assumed it was some sort of tidal barrier.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Other possibilities:
  • Very large heartbeat
  • Very large engine
  • Very small nuclear blast
It's interesting we still don't have any idea why this kid is poking around a gigantic spooky facility, committing random(?) acts of vandalism. Even by the standards of Playdead's other games it's vague--Limbo at least told you to look for your sister. I've been envisioning some manner of global takeover like The Tripods trilogy--but I wonder if it isn't more insidious. EvilCorp/Gov conducting experiments to make docile slaves and/or mer-people for Reasons.

Maybe even Good Reasons! Look, the only way we can save Florida from rising sea level is converting it into a giant boat with our army of mind slaves while offering free human -> fish conversions for people who can't afford tickets. What do you mean, "why do they hunger for human flesh?" Have you ever been to Florida?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Try not to think what kind of modifications would be required to allow a kid to not only breathe underwater, but survive the kind of pressures that previously forced a submersible to implode on itself.

Tamba posted:

The boy is now a vampire :drac:, that's what the plug did.

Was the plug a metaphor for the girl offering him some bisgetti?

Rangpur posted:

Maybe even Good Reasons! Look, the only way we can save Florida from rising sea level is converting it into a giant boat with our army of mind slaves while offering free human -> fish conversions for people who can't afford tickets. What do you mean, "why do they hunger for human flesh?" Have you ever been to Florida?

Once everyone was turned into ravenous aqua-people, it was found that crime actually dropped across Florida, if only because it's harder to shoot someone or snort anything underwater.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Try not to think what kind of modifications would be required to allow a kid to not only breathe underwater, but survive the kind of pressures that previously forced a submersible to implode on itself.
I don't think the sub's imploding though, just the water flooding in after the water things crack the glass; you can see the drowning animation once the bubbles clear.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Was the plug a metaphor for the girl offering him some bisgetti?
Oh bloody hell, I got this. I watched it with a friend this weekend. :drac:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I almost did a spit take at the shock wave deaths :stare: That's some graphic stuff, one of them looked like the kid's head blew into tiny pieces :smith:

But I guess now he's made some fish friends? :yaycloud:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was some spooky-rear end underwater adventure. Mysterious machinery and implacable life forms with their own agenda. And somehow, lights that are still on. Maybe they aren't electric? Or very, very well shielded.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Update time! :siren:

Pre-watch warning: The first death in the Death Reel is something I missed last update and it's kinda gnarly. Just a heads up.

I forgot to show off the orb clues for last video:

And these are the ones for today's update (I recommend you check this after watching the video):

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ugh, with a cliffhanger like that i don't know if i can wait another week

• Locked thread