Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Jazerus posted:

occasionally you should get a mis-addressed letter intended for a player from the days of goon yore like philip farmer. in that particular case the letter should be able to be thrown into the engine for the same soothing effects that phil himself provided to it

i'm pretty sure i've been playing for longer than most of the still-active admins and I think farmer was even earlier than me

at this point the "goon" is just zam and a name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

i'm pretty sure i've been playing for longer than most of the still-active admins and I think farmer was even earlier than me

at this point the "goon" is just zam and a name

i know. it would still be fun imo

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Jazerus posted:

occasionally you should get a mis-addressed letter intended for a player from the days of goon yore like philip farmer. in that particular case the letter should be able to be thrown into the engine for the same soothing effects that phil himself provided to it

I want one from Spoopy Hut-Dugs, still the best name I've seen in this game.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
random junk mail would be a fun thing to add, and there's a handful of other stuff i'd like to come out of envelopes. this was definitely a "minimum viable product" launch; i really did code this entire "feature" in between the hours of midnight and 2 AM while vaping :420:

there's still a few tweaks to be made, and the item pool needs to be expanded, but so far it seems to be working well

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Having played a round, the biggest issue is just sorting and holding the mail. The amount wouldn't be bad if there was a better way to hold it than a crate and all the packages had jobs attached to the name (as opposed to some (I presume with special items))

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Make Mail be a new way of spawning mid-round. Tge new assistant arrives in a package.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The Taxman posted:

Having played a round, the biggest issue is just sorting and holding the mail. The amount wouldn't be bad if there was a better way to hold it than a crate and all the packages had jobs attached to the name (as opposed to some (I presume with special items))

Easy fix for that, and keep in mind I haven't played to see if this is in or not, but what about a mail bag that's basically a duffel bag that could hold a poo poo ton of mail items? Or it could hold about a toolbox's worth of small boxes/tools/whatever, but its real use is in holding inordinate amounts of regular mail.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Easy fix for that, and keep in mind I haven't played to see if this is in or not, but what about a mail bag that's basically a duffel bag that could hold a poo poo ton of mail items? Or it could hold about a toolbox's worth of small boxes/tools/whatever, but its real use is in holding inordinate amounts of regular mail.

Yeah, a bag with like different department boxes would be ideal

As is, the mail is large enough it doesn't fit in boxes or belts, which is a pain (especially since the beta graphics are large enough you have to right click/inside click to close the box.)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Spigot the Mail

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

neogeo0823 posted:

If a mail crate spawns 6 or more pieces of mail, it now includes a free "mail bag", which is a produce / mining satchel but for mail. You can click-drag into it to quickly pile it all in, and if you click it with grab intent, you'll get a popup of a (semi-)alphabetical list.

Mail includes the job in every case, now; before it was only included if it was "job" mail, but now that is solely the color. There are plans to change the way mail looks too, since it's very programmer-art and the recoloring was a quick "something" thing.

I also added a way to open other people's mail :ninja:

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Delivering mail can be EXTREMELY profitable now, last round I played the crates were coming with more than 15k credits in them.

Having played a few rounds of QM, blood bank prices or the requisitions that utilize them probably need to be rebalanced, it's really easy to turn 1200 credits into 40k credits. I enjoy the requisition system quite a bit, especially for how it gives the civilian departments production goals (and has revealed to me how many people have never used the chemmaster)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The blood one is going to get fixed eventually; we're aware that it's exploitable by simply buying a blood crate.

Mail crates aren't supposed to be as profitable as they are right now. The code is like this:

code:
when envelope_opened:
    payout = payout + min((50 + 5 * (number_opened - 1)), 500)

when mail_crate_triggered:
    cash = new /obj/item/money( payout )
    cash.set_loc(mail_crate)
notably, the code to reset the payout is missing -- the amount currently arriving in crates is the cumulative total you should have earned. So when you were getting 15k crates, that was actually supposed to have been a total of 15k over all the other crates.

I've been aware for this bug for over a day at this point and it's pretty low on my list of priorities to fix because it's funny and stupid. I'm sure it'll eventually get patched, but I have better things to work on :)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if you like dumb drama then boy howdy.

we banned a small handful of clowns yesterday and at least one of them is very mad :rip:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Can you recall what they did to get banned? They don't seem too sure about it in the reddit post other than just being associated with bad actors (though they probably know the real reason).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

we banned a small handful of clowns yesterday and at least one of them is very mad :rip:

so what's the admin version of why they were banned? because this guy very noticeably avoids saying anything concrete about it other than the fact that he thinks it's unjustified

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

It is mentioned in the reddit comments that admins have a policy of not saying why people were banned

which, lmao?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

alexandriao posted:

It is mentioned in the reddit comments that admins have a policy of not saying why people were banned

which, lmao?

goonstation policy was changed so we don't reveal people's ban reasons any more, same as the reason bans were private. some of that was around just wanting better player privacy or not wanting to shame people who got banned for minor poo poo or "go to appeal for this minor thing" or whatever

i'm not the biggest fan of it but it's what was decided on

Tombot posted:

Can you recall what they did to get banned? They don't seem too sure about it in the reddit post other than just being associated with bad actors (though they probably know the real reason).

they were in a private discord server where some of them were metagaming (in voice calls and assisting each other in-game) and a few of the worst people said some really heinous bigoted poo poo about a few players.

edit: i should add, if a player wants to go public with their ban reason, or lies about it, all bets are off

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 24, 2023

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post
unexpectedly good clowning on that post.
glad even the reddit can see through it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

What a fuckin moron, I'm glad to see him get his rear end kicked out.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
man jumping on after awhile of just doing other things... sure feels like that new ending in cyberpunk where all your friends and familiar names are gone and replaced by nerds who desire to fix everything you once found funny

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I've seen like six generations of players go from newbies, learn the ropes, become pros, become mentors and staff, then drift away. And every time I take a break the length gets longer and longer. Sad, but it makes sense for a game that hasn't really added anything major in years except to slowly remove fun things in the name of balance and for streamers.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i have discovered fishing, all is right in the universe. is what i would say if they forgot one important feature, is that i can't hook other people ala cruelty squad!!!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Booty Pageant posted:

man jumping on after awhile of just doing other things... sure feels like that new ending in cyberpunk where all your friends and familiar names are gone and replaced by nerds who desire to fix everything you once found funny

Yup. Proper Twin Peaks The Return vibes, specifically the scene with the screaming lady and her vomiting Zombie kid

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yup. Proper Twin Peaks The Return vibes, specifically the scene with the screaming lady and her vomiting Zombie kid

we need new pop culture reference adventure zones coders add twin peaks z level tia

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Booty Pageant posted:

we need new pop culture reference adventure zones coders add twin peaks z level tia

Unfortunately that would risk potential copyright infringement if seen on stream. We have instead removed lightsabers

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I had a really fun round on one of the RP servers the other day.

I spawned in as <Player name I saw the previous round> Jr. and quickly ran across my 'dad' while wandering the halls.

They picked up on the gimmick straight away, and for the next hour we were an inseparable wizard hunting team – a grizzled detective shadowed by his surly college drop-out son.

You too can have fun playing Space Station 13 in the year 2024.

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

monolithburger posted:

They picked up on the gimmick straight away, and for the next hour we were an inseparable wizard hunting team – a grizzled detective shadowed by his surly college drop-out son.

"Son, this is a replicate *gestures to the assistant they caught in a cage trap*, they have no rights. You can shoot them as often as you like, but the paperwork is a bitch. They're why I was home so late so many times when you were growing up. You should take it out on them. We'll fill out the paperwork together, as a family."

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
space station 13 is so over, i'm here for STEAM BOAT 13

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Booty Pageant posted:

space station 13 is so over, i'm here for STEAM BOAT 13

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
on some level i think it just has to be accepted that when people drift away, game is going to change. much like sa has changed in that posting slurs gets you probed or banned instead of lauded as a pioneering funnyman.

anyone is capable of downloading the code and reverting whatever changes you don't like. if you can drum up a playerbase to play whatever version of the code you think is best, more power to you. coolstation is doing exactly that, even

tokin opposition posted:

I've seen like six generations of players go from newbies, learn the ropes, become pros, become mentors and staff, then drift away. And every time I take a break the length gets longer and longer. Sad, but it makes sense for a game that hasn't really added anything major in years except to slowly remove fun things in the name of balance and for streamers.

i wish we'd remove your posts

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"streamers" has to be the funniest boogeyman because there are two things i can think of that are a result of streamers:

1. the saxophone no longer plays copyrighted clips of music, and this was done partially out of being open on github and not wanting copyright infringement as part of the repo
2. piss got nerfed because one streamer in particular ran it into the ground every time they played

but keep beating that drum i guess

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Admin plants a World Tree in the chapel, and an enraged botanist cuts it down 5 minutes into the round.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

George Rouncewell posted:

Admin plants a World Tree in the chapel, and an enraged botanist cuts it down 5 minutes into the round.

George Rouncewell, thank you for your gift of knowledge

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Streamers beat the gently caress out of me in maint with a toolbox and sent my corpse to disposals so I couldn't be cloned. But I didn't hate them. I thanked them for their service

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

George Rouncewell posted:

i usually like dropping a button that will kill you (if you press it)

i've done a few other obvious gags like this and people will usually go with it. "this is a button that will make you say 'I'm an idiot' if you press it" (presses it) "I'm an idiot"

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Game is worse, so what

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I've watched folx play the game for years and even tried once long ago. I never really did anything more than clip any wires I could attain access to and/or dying for an unknown reason

I have a lovely Chromebook but would love to try again.

Is there a way I can participate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
not with a chromebook, outside of maybe some sort of virtual machine setup (which i assume a chromebook would be quite, uh, bad at)

you need a windows machine of some variety.