Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
alternately

punch and pie

pick your own strawberries? or is that just a Florida thing

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FluffieDuckie posted:

we're happy to have you. please take a look at our rules thread (that we actually follow) and check out the byob goldmine for the kinds of threads we like. also stop by the lurker thread for your official welcome

you're the best moderator

----------------

Manifisto

my .002, attracting new posters is great and fun and I'm all for it, but what seems to happen is that people like the vibe and the posters but end up feeling that things move too slowly here. the yob has its own rhythm and part of that means reading a bunch of threads as opposed to concentrating on a few which is what you'd do in a faster moving subforum. a bunch of the gbs visitors said as much.

I'm not quite sure how that relates to recruitment but I think a good goal would be to get people to stay a while. the relaxed/intimate feeling here is a plus imo, a nice change from other parts of sa, but I think it takes a little getting used to. and is not for everyone, even though everyone is welcome as long as they don't misbehave too badly

Twenty Four

Just go with military recruitment tactics. Promise posters a bunch of jobs they won't actually get, promise benefits they don't actually qualify for, gloss over and deny the down sides.

Wait - the couple of jobs here are voluntary, the benefits are just reading and posting in byob, and the downsides are ???

Seriously though a cross forum contest seems like a great idea, but making it political or something un-byob sounds like it wouldn't attracts the kinds of posters byob wants. Wouldn't something specifically aimed at getting the chill cool posters here make more sense?

Idea: cross forum contest to photoshop or describe in a sentence what "chill" is all about or what the most chill thing you can think of is. Have a voting thread with some sort of prize (plat, av change, archives, free cookies, i duno) in byob for top 3 or so submissions? I'm sure there would be a bunch of bad troll entries, and voting on the internet when SA is involved tends to turn out lopsided and skewed, but I'm guessing anyone who would do that wouldn't post here much afterwards anyhow and those that win or like the idea of chill byob would and likely stay!

Also Fluffy i guess this isn't the worst problem to have because byob is cool and nice and many of the other mods seem to wish a good portion of the people in their subforum would stop posting, instead of getting more posters.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Twenty Four posted:

Just go with military recruitment tactics. Promise posters a bunch of jobs they won't actually get, promise benefits they don't actually qualify for, gloss over and deny the down sides.

Wait - the couple of jobs here are voluntary, the benefits are just reading and posting in byob, and the downsides are ???

Seriously though a cross forum contest seems like a great idea, but making it political or something un-byob sounds like it wouldn't attracts the kinds of posters byob wants. Wouldn't something specifically aimed at getting the chill cool posters here make more sense?

Idea: cross forum contest to photoshop or describe in a sentence what "chill" is all about or what the most chill thing you can think of is. Have a voting thread with some sort of prize (plat, av change, archives, free cookies, i duno) in byob for top 3 or so submissions? I'm sure there would be a bunch of bad troll entries, and voting on the internet when SA is involved tends to turn out lopsided and skewed, but I'm guessing anyone who would do that wouldn't post here much afterwards anyhow and those that win or like the idea of chill byob would and likely stay!

Also Fluffy i guess this isn't the worst problem to have because byob is cool and nice and many of the other mods seem to wish a good portion of the people in their subforum would stop posting, instead of getting more posters.

Yeah, after giving the matter some thought I've decided to retract my offer of a political-based art thread, I see potential for it to possibly get out of hand and it belies the whole point of it all.

I do like your idea, though. A cross-forum chill contest sounds right up our alley.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Twenty Four

Splatmaster posted:

Yeah, after giving the matter some thought I've decided to retract my offer of a political-based art thread, I see potential for it to possibly get out of hand and it belies the whole point of it all.

I do like your idea, though. A cross-forum chill contest sounds right up our alley.

:yeah: Though someone probably can come up with a better idea then I did, I'm glad we are on the same page buddy!

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom

Twenty Four posted:

:yeah: Though someone probably can come up with a better idea then I did, I'm glad we are on the same page buddy!

incidentally, we are also on the same page (2)

FluffieDuckie

i used to hear posters say they didn't want to post in byob bc it sucked

now i literally hear people say they don't post in byob bc they don't feel like they have anything to contribute. so i guess that's directionally correct.

i don't have a solution for that, i'm just throwing out feedback i've gotten

i want to be clear, i don't think we want just hoardes of people just to get numbers up. we want people who want to effort post and be a positive part of the community. where do we find those?

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom

FluffieDuckie posted:

i used to hear posters say they didn't want to post in byob bc it sucked

now i literally hear people say they don't post in byob bc they don't feel like they have anything to contribute. so i guess that's directionally correct.

i don't have a solution for that, i'm just throwing out feedback i've gotten

i want to be clear, i don't think we want just hoardes of people just to get numbers up. we want people who want to effort post and be a positive part of the community. where do we find those?

Possibly in some of the more creative forums?

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I think we should put Bear traps in pyf

cda

by Hand Knit

FluffieDuckie posted:

now i literally hear people say they don't post in byob bc they don't feel like they have anything to contribute.

goons have low self esteem :(

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
everyon e can contribute to byob, except those who have committed certain crimes. all you have to do is have a caring heart and an open mind. and ten bux

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
guy with a phd in nuclear engineering: i have nothing to contribute to a forum where i could literally just post about burrito all day long

----------------

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
Threads with a visual element seem to at least occasionally attract posters who are not byob regulars. Things like photoshop threads, the AV workshop, seasonal sigs, etc. I think buying some ads is a good idea, especially if we can tailor them to appeal to the kind of chill and creative goons we'd like to see posting here.

I agree with the observation that things can move slowly here. Sometimes a lurker will post in the chat thread, and no one will be around to greet them and get a conversation going. We seem to have a bit more success when someone is invited by one of our regulars, though.

Matoi Ryuko

produce more sigs

Fuck My Ass
we need to hire a full time meme consultant. to really get the memes flowing

Thank you, very nice I like. For the insanely win sig.

death sext

I really like the chill art contest idea. I have a bunch of sculpey; I'd be happy to make some little sculptures to mail out as prizes.

City of Glompton

we should plan to have another Durfament. idk if it would attract new posters but it would be fun. maybe if we schedule it out with enough advance notice, people could post here in preparation for participating?

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

HotSoapyBeard

I'm a really cool nice dad
HAIKOOLIGAN
Don't worry guys, I've been leaving business cards in phone booths and I'm feeling confident

cda

by Hand Knit
maybe instead of linking straight to byob some of the ads could link to specific threads within byob

----------------

twoday

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Is this a cult?

Am I in a cult now?

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

Macnult

cda posted:

guy with a phd in nuclear engineering: i have nothing to contribute to a forum where i could literally just post about burrito all day long

lol

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Wouldn't it be BYOB to ask people in other forums for ideas on what we could do for ideas for recruitment here (if we ask mods in those forums first...)? Asking for a poster in another forum

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Rushi

by Smythe
Merge with pet island :3:

Making a banner at some point feels like a thing I should do.

Rushi

by Smythe
Cookie exchange.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Maybe we should break out the old blue ball machine again. Been a minute.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
WE SHOULD DIG A MOAT

FluffieDuckie

twoday posted:

Is this a cult?

Am I in a cult now?

Yes. I'm sorry but you're one of us now

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Ok, I have an idea but I don't want to start a thread yet. Live video is popular online, mostly for documenting crimes (which is cool when it's a victim casting it to get help, not so much when it's the perpetrator being a monster), but what if you put on a sketch comedy show?

BYOB: Live!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I could start a Byob Original Series called "Guy who Reviews Things"

we'll put netflix and youtube out of buisness

Fuck My Ass

Thank you, very nice I like. For the insanely win sig.

Arrhythmia
i saw a banner. i liked it, and i clicked it.

thank you to my friends in the byob.

Dinosaurmageddon

by zen death robot

Arrhythmia posted:

Putty what have you done?!?!

----------------

Elusif

We could sabotage other forums. Coupon forum is ripe for infiltration.

Manifisto

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

We could sabotage other forums. Coupon forum is ripe for infiltration.

we have fallen for this before. beware the honeypot.

Elusif

We could give them a coupon for 90% off posting in BYOB.

Manifisto

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

We could give them a coupon for 90% off posting in BYOB.

offer two for one

it doesn't matter two for one what

we'll burn that bridge when we come to it

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood
i will continue to post in this forum if everyone agrees that is okay.

crimes

Macnult

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

that's more than okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Arrhythmia posted:

:peanut:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

:peanut:

• Locked thread