Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blue Star posted:

From the sarcastic comments I take it that you all feel the topic of discussion is beenath you. Is it because its not true? I;m acvtuallly being serious right now. Are we running out of resources? Are there no ways we can become more sustainable?

Your OP boils down to "I saw this on a weird prepper reddit, is it true?". The sarcastic comments are because you're asking people to teach you about an issue you know nothing about while at the same time disproving a conspiracy theory you appear to have largely bought into.

There are certainly significant resource issues and social issues that many large societies will have to confront, but the number of blatant conspiracy theorists posting openly on r/collapse should tell you something about the probability of outright total global social collapse. Just looking at one single thread there, I see a cold-fusion devotee, one confirmed bitcoiner and a couple more probable bitcoiners, someone who's convinced that electric bicycles will be the most important item of the post-apocalyptic world, and several people whining about how they won't be able to get their daily coffee fix in the post-collapse hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Not that sea level rise isn't a problem, but humanity has a lot of experience in holding back the sea from its efforts to take land that should by all rights be doomed by sea level. Florida is likely a lost cause, but given the financial interests tied up in NYC, it's basically certain it'll be given the infrastructure needed to cope with sea level rise. It's expensive, sure, but NYC is rich as hell and the financial center of the US.

• Locked thread