Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Richard Bong posted:

USAA is amazing and if you don't use it you're loving dumb.
I totalled a car when I was 17 and they screwed us on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I'm using USAA for a CC, auto and life insurance.

Car loan is through a local bank I'm a customer of.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

How so

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

USAA has been pretty great for my motorcycle insurance in Korea. Had one wreck and they had a contracted dude out there in like 30min who handled everything. Got my blood money that day and all the repairs taken care. Didn't have to deal with the Korean guys insurance at all.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Echoing the clockwork discussion of "USAA is amazing"

Use them car, home insurance, and CC

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Why are you reading stupid clickbait sites?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

~$900 less than it was worth based on stains on the carpet and window chips. They had no local presence and the guy I had to talk to on the phone was a dick.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Casimir Radon posted:

~$900 less than it was worth based on stains on the carpet and window chips. They had no local presence and the guy I had to talk to on the phone was a dick.

Roof blew of my house in storm caused almost 30k in damage they payed about 15k had to reenlist for the bonus to cover the rest so i could sale the house and not end up bankrupt and homeless with my kids living on the street. gently caress USAA they are great until you actually need them.

Banking services are great but the rest if their insurance can eat a dick.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
USAA held a $17 balance on a credit card I had thought I had closed with them. Card shredded, account no longer appearing on the website or any statements. closed. They didn't tell me for months. It went overdue. Then I deployed.

I have a >90 day overdue on my credit report for a few more years because of that.

Later they tried to get me to get my car insurance with them and they were very confused when they quoted me $400 more than GEICO, and as to why I wouldn't want to switch to them anyway.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Actually. Let me rephrase. All banks, financial institutions, and establishment wealth are awful.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

Actually. Let me rephrase. All banks, financial institutions, and establishment wealth are awful.

amen

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

M_Gargantua posted:

USAA held a $17 balance on a credit card I had thought I had closed with them. Card shredded, account no longer appearing on the website or any statements. closed. They didn't tell me for months. It went overdue. Then I deployed.

I have a >90 day overdue on my credit report for a few more years because of that.

Later they tried to get me to get my car insurance with them and they were very confused when they quoted me $400 more than GEICO, and as to why I wouldn't want to switch to them anyway.

:lol: GEICO quoted me almost 4x my USAA premium, and that was before I even owned the Corvette.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Geico can suck eggs. Those fucks want twice what I pay esurance. Never caused a reportable accident in my life and my last ticket was almost five years ago, Geico still wants $250~/mo. Esurance was slightly cheaper than USAA at around $100/mo.

gently caress insurance companies.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

gently caress insurance companies.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Chris Rock had a good point. Insurance is basically "in case poo poo."

If nothing happens should I get some type of refund?

(Doesnt Allstate advertise this actually?)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

M_Gargantua posted:

True.

Although when I first got commissioned, my car got totaled and they paid out within a week and I got $3k more than I paid for it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Also,
https://twitter.com/janie/status/858148738660958208

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

TBeats posted:

Well it is, but it's in case poo poo happens to any policy holder. If you jump a curb and plow through a few brand new Mercedes your going to get covered for a lot more than you've paid in your whole life. But most carriers do discounts for being good driving history.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

TBeats posted:

Allstate does those ads, yeah. If their rates were worth a gently caress for a five year old kia and my clean record then I'd be with them, but gently caress paying $75 more a month to get $100 back every six months.

And they always use that situation with a woman telling a man she got a "safe driver check" for driving six months without an accident and I suddenly don't believe any of their advertising after that point.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
All insurance is a dumb rear end scam at this point. Why would I care if my poo poo is pooled with other drivers when the insurance company is making money hand over fist? They're paying themselves and a bunch of their employees an asston of money to essentially guess at what my portion of the pool should be despite no tickets in eight years and no wreck in my whole life.

Force them to be nonprofits and cap the amount they can reinvest and spend in salary. If I'm going to be forced by the state to sign up for this bullshit they shouldn't be free to profit off of me when I have little to no bargaining power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Insurance should be a pool thing, where you pay in an allotted total amount over time, and once you pay in your full amount, you don't have to pay anymore unless you have an accident or make a claim, or it shifts to a 'minimum payment' until you make a claim.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Current Event: Swiss climbing legend Uli Steck has fallen to his death during a warmup run at Mt Everest. Dude was a supreme badass who once ascended the north face of Eiger alone with no ropes in less than three hours, Eiger being the same mountain which killed all of the first 17 people to attempt it over a span of decades.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

Insurance should be a pool thing, where you pay in an allotted total amount over time, and once you pay in your full amount, you don't have to pay anymore unless you have an accident or make a claim, or it shifts to a 'minimum payment' until you make a claim.

In Texas you need to have insurance, OR a certain amount on deposit with the state(it was 40k 20 years ago) to cover liability. I always thought the second option was a nice gesture.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
When insurance works for the insured it's a really great idea. Everyone chips in a little then if life pulls your number out of the hat and raw dogs you, you're covered.

Then greedy poo poo head billionaires see a pile of money helping other people and well we just can't have that! So they get ahold of it and actually paying out to cover people becomes antithetical because every penny going to actually help people isn't going to fund their fourth diamond plated yacht's solid platinum, heated bidet.

In summary gently caress the rich.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

bunch of communists itt.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The real thing insurance is for isn't covering replacing the bumper on your used piece of poo poo civic, its for when some 80 year old pulls out in front of you and gets you on the hook for six figures in medical bills.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...ive_speech_ever

Trump's being Trump

quote:

President Donald Trump shocked the nation and the world when he took the oath of office, then delivered what many called the most divisive inaugural speech ever given. On his 100th day in office, the President flew to Pennsylvania and did it again.

"This was the most divisive speech I've ever heard from a sitting American president," said CNN political analyst David Gergen, who has served in senior advisory roles in the Nixon, Ford, Reagan, and Clinton administrations.

"He played to his base and he treated his other listeners, the rest of the people who have been disturbed about him or opposed him, he treated them basically as, 'I don't give a drat what you think because you're frankly like the enemy.' I thought it was a deeply disturbing speech," Gergen said.

Trump attacked CNN and MSNBC, specifically calling them "fake news." He took a swing at the "failing New York Times," and, hypocritically called out op-eds in The Washington Post. Two hours earlier that day, The Washington Post published an op-ed by President Donald Trump.

Also during his celebratory speech in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania – Trump has mostly traveled only to states he won – he called immigrants "vicious snakes."

The President apparently has done this before, though it escaped many news reports. From his suit coat pocket he pulled out what he called a poem, it's actually lyrics to a song written by an American singer, songwriter, playwright, poet, and yes, civil rights activist, Oscar Brown Jr.

The song is titled, "The Snake," and Trump dedicated it on Saturday to Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly, Border Patrol, and ICE agents "for doing such an incredible job."

He wrongly credited it Al Wilson, who sang the lyrics but did not write them.

"I thought of it having to do with our borders and people coming in and we know what we're going to have," Trump told supporters. One week before he was sworn in he told supporters he said he saw it being about Syrian refugees.

"We're going to have problems. We have to very, very carefully vet. We have to be smart. We have to be vigilant. So here it is, 'The Snake.' It's called 'The Snake,'" Trump began.

"On her way to work one morning down the path along the lake a tender hearted woman saw a poor, half frozen snake. His pretty colored skin had been all frosted with the dew. 'The poor thing,' she cried, 'I'll take you in, and I'll take care of you.'"

The President interjected, saying, "The border."

'Take me in oh, tender woman, take me in, oh, tender woman,' sighs the vicious snake.

She wrapped him up all cozy in a comforter of silk, and laid him by her fireside with some honey and some milk.

She hurried home from work that night and as soon as she arrived, she found that pretty snake she'd taken in had been revived.

'Take me in, oh, tender woman. Take me in for heaven's sake. Take me in oh, tender woman,' sighed that vicious snake.

She clutched him to her bosom, 'You're so beautiful,' she cried. 'But if I hadn't brought you in by now, oh, heavens, you would have died.'

She stroked his pretty skin again and kissed him and held him tight. But instead of saying 'thank you,' that snake gave her a vicious bite!

'Take me he in oh, tender woman, take me in for heaven's sake. Take me in, oh, tender woman,' sighed the vicious snake.

'I have saved you,' cried the woman. 'And now I'm going to die.'

'Oh, shut up, silly woman,' said the reptile with a grin. Y'ou knew drat well I was a snake before you took me in.'

The Huffington Post notes "Trump often cited the lyrics during talks about immigration and the refugee crisis to back up his claims that allowing refugees into the U.S. could open the borders to terrorists," and that Brown's family "had asked Trump to stop reading the work at his rallies."

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
What an odd derail

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That song sounds pretty appropriate but not for the reasons he intended.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Jarmak posted:

The real thing insurance is for isn't covering replacing the bumper on your used piece of poo poo civic, its for when some 80 year old pulls out in front of you and gets you on the hook for six figures in medical bills.

This is why you should have a dashcam. And should subpoena records of any publicly owned cameras in the immediate vicinity and seek out permission to use footage from private businesses or residences if they are willing to provide the footage. Basically, get a good lawyer and let it go to town on the insurance company while you sit on the dash cam original files.

There's getting hosed, and letting yourself get hosed.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

In Texas you need to have insurance, OR a certain amount on deposit with the state(it was 40k 20 years ago) to cover liability. I always thought the second option was a nice gesture.

In PA its 60. I looked it up in the state regs a year or two ago but not going to do it right now because im lazy.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SquirrelyPSU posted:

In PA its 60. I looked it up in the state regs a year or two ago but not going to do it right now because im lazy.

I looked it up after posting, and they increased it in TX to 55k, and its MUCH easier to get set up now, since it no longer is just a deposit to the comptroller, it can also be to a variety of other orgs. My favorite I found was self insuring, but you can only do that if you own at least 25 cars.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Must post 60k surety bond, or 120k real estate bond, must have at least 25 cars or be a religious organization for a self insurance certificate from DOR. That's how it is here.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Where do you find this info because I can't find it about Florida.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I'm in traffic enforcement class for MO so check your own statutes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

Where do you find this info because I can't find it about Florida.

Im not sure if a deposit is required in FL, but to self insure you must have 40k of "unencumbered net worth" for the first vehicle and 20k for each subsequent one. You have to apply annually for a self insurance certificate and must maintain the 40k+ in an unencumbered state.

Or you must be just rich enough the department determines you can pay for any incidents.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0324/Sections/0324.171.html

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I can concur a bad insurance experience with USAA. I had a car damaged, gave it to the recommended USAA shop, USAA gave the shop the money to fix it, shop only did half the work and kept half the money, kept saying other parts were on order but never came in, USAA told me I had no recourse after months of waiting for parts to arrive, and still recommends that body shop to others. Wouldn't even give me a diminution of value check on the loss of value for the parts that were never repaired. Car insurance is a joke industry. The shop got to keep $5K of USAA money and I got to keep a half broken car. USAA is basically only good if you never make a claim.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The diamond in my ex wife's engagement ring fell out, we called up USAA To file a claim under our rental insurance and that same day they offered either a diamond of the same quality sent to us and money to have a jeweler place it, or the cash value of the diamond.

Had two accidents through USAA and they immediately hooked up a rental car and were good throughout the claim process.

I've had them since I was 17 (dad was in the army so that's how I got it) and I've never had a problem in the 18 years since of using them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Usaa covered me fully when some shithead rear ended me in a parking lot and took off. It cost over 6k in damage not counting the 2 weeks I had to drive a rental. I didn't even pay a deductible because it was determined to be a no fault incident since I wasn't in the car. They didn't hassle me or give any problems, they just flipped the wallet upside down and shook it until everything was fixed. I figure they paid out more than I've paid in to usaa since I've had them.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 30, 2017

• Locked thread