Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Everything USAA has been awesome save one very, very big thing that still infuriates me.

They made some change to policy or some such that I had to confirm where we insure our rental property (formerly our house). Whereas USAA calls or Emails or gives alert notifications for even the most banal things, for this they apparently sent a letter to my old address. I had set up mail forwarding through the apartment I was in and USPS, but my old apt complex is kinda lax about bothering with that poo poo. As a result, my rental property went uninsured for something like 2 months(!), meaning I was in violation of my mortgage agreement and liable for the entire loving thing if the house had burned down or otherwise been destroyed. This wasn't immediately obvious for something that's been going smooth for years on end at a small expense.

How'd I find out? They called my wife to ask why we'd chosen to stop insuring through USAA in a solicitation call. Ceasing to insure a goddamned home because you didn't get a letter back saying "yes, I agree to your new terms and conditions" without so much as a phone call or Email is pretty loving lovely. Not only could I have been on the hook for paying for the home outright, which would have sucked a LOT, but if I were found liable for, say, faulty wiring killing a renter or something like that, it could've been enough to bankrupt me for approximately forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm sure all the good stories about USAA could be told about every other insurance company and all the bad stories about USAA could be told about every other insurance company.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

I'm sure all the good stories about USAA could be told about every other insurance company and all the bad stories about USAA could be told about every other insurance company.

Here's my good USAA story that isn't true of any other company:

When I call them, I get a real person within like 30-60 seconds. Also their website understands that if you want fancy poo poo and have fast internet that's cool, but if you're praying for a single bar from "gently caress-you-istan" they won't make you load some massive interstitial landing page.

Chase used to, and might still, have some insanely bandwidth heavy welcome page before you could log in. As a result, I closed my account, because deployment internet was baaaad.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

Here's my good USAA story that isn't true of any other company:

When I call them, I get a real person within like 30-60 seconds. Also their website understands that if you want fancy poo poo and have fast internet that's cool, but if you're praying for a single bar from "gently caress-you-istan" they won't make you load some massive interstitial landing page.

Chase used to, and might still, have some insanely bandwidth heavy welcome page before you could log in. As a result, I closed my account, because deployment internet was baaaad.

This is mostly true. However, whenever I need to speak with survivor services regarding any of my wife's accounts, I'm on hold from 30 minutes to an hour.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
My father got private health insurance coverage for the whole family about three months before I was born. ("private" as in outside of the universal healthcare system, think premium poo poo)

Shortly after my birth, I was diagnosed with a "Megaureter", so an inflammation of the hair-thin thing going from your kidney to your bladder. Usually, it's a reasonably doable procedure where you bridge the inflamed side and reroute it via the other side. In my case, both sides were inflamed. The docs pretty much wrote me off since there was no procedure for a situation like that, and there were also liability issues for some reason, so no one would touch it with a 9-foot pole. The only option was some ground breaking experimental procedure that was then done by the head surgeon at the university clinic in Munich, poo poo took close to 9 months until I was over the hump.

The private insurance thought it could try to be a dick about it and weasel itself out of paying for experimental procedures, but eventually shelled out around 250 grand for the treatment. Since the policy hadn't run a full calendar year, they were able to terminate it, but only after paying the full treatment and follow-up treatment.

Pay in three months of premiums, cash out a thousand months' worth.

Decent ROI :downs:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I got insurance yesterday when I bought Nioh. If the disc gets cracked or stops working, I get a new one :smugbert:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

This is mostly true. However, whenever I need to speak with survivor services regarding any of my wife's accounts, I'm on hold from 30 minutes to an hour.

Speaking of this, holy poo poo make sure you people have a proper will.

My mom was killed unexpectedly last fall when she got hit by a car. Her will was not properly notarized and had been written way back when my older brother and I were minors rather than in our thirties. This has proven to be a massive pain in the rear end, and given that she didn't have much at all in the way of assets, lawyer fees are likely going to eat up a rather large portion of the inheritance, and my brother will be drat near an estate paralegal by the time we figure this poo poo out. At this point, I'm almost less concerned with the actual inheritance than we are with just ending this paperwork nightmare that keeps reopening wounds as we have to contact yet another person or company and have them fill out this and that and so on and so forth.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

I got insurance yesterday when I bought Nioh. If the disc gets cracked or stops working, I get a new one :smugbert:

prove it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

In high school a kid down the road managed to get about 1-2 grand worth of free poo poo by exploiting this for theft protection before he was put on some sort of "never insure this fucker" list. I mean, pretty good when you're 16 or so, but might've bit him in the rear end later on.

e: forgot, I knew an LT who lost a loving eight thousand dollar wedding ring (as a dude!) twice in two different field exercises. USAA dropped him, no one else would insure him except for insane premiums. I don'tt hink he was scamming, he was just bad at this poo poo.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 30, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

Speaking of this, holy poo poo make sure you people have a proper will.

My mom was killed unexpectedly last fall when she got hit by a car. Her will was not properly notarized and had been written way back when my older brother and I were minors rather than in our thirties. This has proven to be a massive pain in the rear end, and given that she didn't have much at all in the way of assets, lawyer fees are likely going to eat up a rather large portion of the inheritance, and my brother will be drat near an estate paralegal by the time we figure this poo poo out. At this point, I'm almost less concerned with the actual inheritance than we are with just ending this paperwork nightmare that keeps reopening wounds as we have to contact yet another person or company and have them fill out this and that and so on and so forth.

Yeah dying intestate loving sucks. I've done some estate work and oh boy have a will...unless you hate your relatives and want to flip them off from beyond the grave.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have no debt nor any assets worth distributing so check your privilege please.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

I have no debt nor any assets worth distributing so check your privilege please.

I get that you're joking but I think I had more saved by 25 than my mom when she was smashed by a car in her sixties so gently caress off.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah that was a bad joke by me in hindsight. My bad :(

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

there's no :ironicat: big enough for this

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/858654431956672512

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Fister Roboto posted:

That song sounds pretty appropriate but not for the reasons he intended.

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeJ-iv3MOTo

Oof.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I need to read more into what all USAA homeowners insurance etc covers because drat I didn't know you could claim a lot of this poo poo

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

Yeah that was a bad joke by me in hindsight. My bad :(

No worries.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/MrDanZak/status/858667267495800833

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Also when I was young and healthy my insurance dropped me because I got injured, "preexisting medical condition" it was, because I had to get an unplanned surgery. $18k bill. Thankfully after fighting tooth and nail I qualified for some poor person county aid that covered it 100%. It all still cost me a lot with copays etc.

Thus, I will never complain about Tricare/VA poo poo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Just when you thought Fred Hiatt couldn't find a worse editorial page columnist.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Gorka's finally gone.

https://twitter.com/DavidMDrucker/status/858773495806820353

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Current Event: Swiss climbing legend Uli Steck has fallen to his death during a warmup run at Mt Everest. Dude was a supreme badass who once ascended the north face of Eiger alone with no ropes in less than three hours, Eiger being the same mountain which killed all of the first 17 people to attempt it over a span of decades.

one of the greatest climbers of all time laid low by the tourist mountain. this dude solo climbed annapurna, the deadliest mountain, by himself in 28 hours

rip wooly stick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdLG64rEChQ

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

GOOOORKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbQx0NTV4TU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Accepted a position eh? Why, nobody would believe such a hateful poo poo monger would choose to spend time with family so that excuse was too dumb even for Donnie Dumbfuck?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They couldn't have just canned his dumb rear end huh? His is a case of clear cut lying about credentials and general incompetence. He doesn't even have a fan club to rush to his defence. Why he gets to keep any role is the simple reason that this is the most stupid administration we've evwr had.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

He's going to be completely gone within a year or so I bet. This is just the administration saving face by saying he wasn't fired.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Casimir Radon posted:

They couldn't have just canned his dumb rear end huh? His is a case of clear cut lying about credentials and general incompetence. He doesn't even have a fan club to rush to his defence. Why he gets to keep any role is the simple reason that this is the most stupid administration we've evwr had.

He has a fan club of one: Donald Trump. Donnie's determined to do anything he can for people that supported him during the campaign until they get a whiff of stink, then they get reassigned or canned very slowly because Donnie actually doesn't like firing people. At all. All that apprentice poo poo was a total act.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

He has a fan club of one: Donald Trump. Donnie's determined to do anything he can for people that supported him during the campaign until they get a whiff of stink, then they get reassigned or canned very slowly because Donnie actually doesn't like firing people. At all. All that apprentice poo poo was a total act.

That or he hates firing people he hand picked because it reflects poorly on him and he can't admit he hosed up.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Richard Bong posted:

That or he hates firing people he hand picked because it reflects poorly on him and he can't admit he hosed up.

Has he ever admitted a mistake? Like, ever ever.. Not just this presidential run.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Saint Celestine posted:

Has he ever admitted a mistake? Like, ever ever.. Not just this presidential run.

I mean he single handedly killed the USFL because he wanted a NFL franchise and the league wouldn't let him, so he tried to sue and force a merger. And in the 30 for 30 he said, "that was small potatoes"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

TBeats posted:

It's already established that you made a joke here, but my wife left behind solely in her name a car, a certificate of deposit, and a pending personal injury settlement.

You're gonna leave something behind, get a will.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Flikken posted:

I mean he single handedly killed the USFL because he wanted a NFL franchise and the league wouldn't let him, so he tried to sue and force a merger. And in the 30 for 30 he said, "that was small potatoes"

he was also trying to buy the Buffalo Bills and move them to Canada after Ralph Wilson died

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

he was also trying to buy the Buffalo Bills and move them to Canada after Ralph Wilson died
:byodood: AMERICA FIRST!!
:byodood: THE ART OF THE DEAL!!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

so was Bon Jovi, with a different group of investors

basically gently caress em both forever

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Buca di Bepis posted:

My CCW class in VA consisted of a 350 lb man in BDUs lecturing us on how castle doctrine is important for allowing us to kill blacks

I never bothered completing the process for getting the license. For years afterward I got disgusting NRA literature in the mail ("THIS CELEBRITY WANTS TO KILL YOUR FAMILY").

If I ever get a gun I'm not telling anyone.

Eh, guns are awesome when used/owned responsibility. I really want to be part of a truly non-partisan or liberal leaning firearms organization ala the NRA (but not racist old pieces of poo poo).

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

On the other hand.. It is the Bills. A team that fired not just their GM, but the entire scouting department, the day after the draft.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Genocide Tendency posted:

On the other hand.. It is the Bills. A team that fired not just their GM, but the entire scouting department, the day after the draft.

tbh a lot of them had barricaded themselves into the organization over the past few years. there was a lot of talk after wilson died about what was going to happen to them and the long-term front office people

after how many years of "oh hey almost in the playoffs!" im happy they're purging

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

tbh a lot of them had barricaded themselves into the organization over the past few years. there was a lot of talk after wilson died about what was going to happen to them and the long-term front office people

after how many years of "oh hey almost in the playoffs!" im happy they're purging

Its not that they fired everyone. Frankly they should have. Its that they waited till the day after the draft to do it instead of in December when they were eliminated from the playoffs.

Thats J E T S JETS JETS JETS level fuckery.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DoktorLoken posted:

Eh, guns are awesome when used/owned responsibility. I really want to be part of a truly non-partisan or liberal leaning firearms organization ala the NRA (but not racist old pieces of poo poo).

Welp if you can figure out a way to bridge the gap between

"ALL GUNS ARE BAD MMMKAY" and " I AS A CITIZEN NEED TO BE ABLE TO GET GUNS AT THE DROP OF A HAT AND CARRY THEM EVERY WHERE", You'll find something I suppose.

Annecdotally, I like shooting guns at ranges and stuff, but I realize my mom, who conceal carries, has no business with firearms because shes acted retarded* with them before and has no inclination to go and learn how not to be retarded with them.

*My mom while drunk drew her .38 on my brother because they got into a pretty deep argument because she felt "threatened", "threatened" being my brother yelling at her from across the room, while me and my father where on either side of him trying to get him to just back off until my mom sobered up. Which funnily enough is the second time I've had a pistol pointed in my general direction, the first time was when one of my friend showed my room mate his new glock, and my room mate did the whole "I know a gun, I played call of duty", and sighted it with out trigger discipline in my general area of standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

KildarX posted:

Welp if you can figure out a way to bridge the gap between

"ALL GUNS ARE BAD MMMKAY" and " I AS A CITIZEN NEED TO BE ABLE TO GET GUNS AT THE DROP OF A HAT AND CARRY THEM EVERY WHERE", You'll find something I suppose.

Annecdotally, I like shooting guns at ranges and stuff, but I realize my mom, who conceal carries, has no business with firearms because shes acted retarded* with them before and has no inclination to go and learn how not to be retarded with them.

*My mom while drunk drew her .38 on my brother because they got into a pretty deep argument because she felt "threatened", "threatened" being my brother yelling at her from across the room, while me and my father where on either side of him trying to get him to just back off until my mom sobered up. Which funnily enough is the second time I've had a pistol pointed in my general direction, the first time was when one of my friend showed my room mate his new glock, and my room mate did the whole "I know a gun, I played call of duty", and sighted it with out trigger discipline in my general area of standing.

Guns and alcohol lead to amazing decisions.

• Locked thread