Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It's either overheating or your power supply. I'd suggest opening the case and thoroughly dusting it out, paying attention to all the vents, fans, and heatsinks. While doing that, note the brand and model of the power supply. If that fixes it or significantly reduces how often it happens, it was heat and you should check temperatures thoroughly to make sure it was completely fixed. If it made no difference, it's probably a failing power supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

GuavaMoment posted:

One other thing you can do is go into the NVidia control panel, and change the PhysX settings from 'auto-select' to the GTX 970.
That wouldn't have anything to do with rebooting during games.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
CPUID Hardware Monitor is good for temperatures in general and will probably read your GPU correctly, the GPU-Z sensors tab may be able to additional temps like the VRM temperatures instead of just the GPU. If you don't find any high temperatures, are there any errors in the Windows System Event Log (Start, run, eventvwr.msc, Windows Logs, System) at the time of the crash?

Overall, unless you see any high temperatures my money is on the power supply. That model had barely-acceptable DC quality under load when brand new, and a few years will not have been kind to it. Do you have another power supply you can test with?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Just check the CPU core/package (package is the highest of the cores) temperatures, as well as the GPU temperatures. CPU and GPU should be under 80C. If they are above this it is still overheating and you'll need to fix that.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
That's downright cool. There's not really much of a way to be sure, but based on all these symptoms I think it's the power supply. If it was the motherboard or RAM you'd typically see bluescreens and application errors, and not just in games, and reducing the quality settings wouldn't have the same effect. Similarly, if the videocard was just dying, I think you'd see wider issues.

The Parts Picking Megathread is a good choice for finding a new power supply, they probably have suggested models listed in the OP.

• Locked thread