Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

We are all lazy and bad at posting. The offseason is already getting to us.

The draft starts on Thursday Apr 27, 2017 and ends on Saturday Apr 29, 2017.
Draft thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797562

The Jaguars are going to draft Fournette at #4 and I will be sad.

Free Agency thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810811 aka Tony Romo Watch 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
alex smith sucks

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yes, poo poo post was intentional but mods can change it if they want.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Is it just me, or are there a lot more meltdowns this offseason? Gotta keep up your shitposting to stay in peak midseason form.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thaddius the Large posted:

Is it just me, or are there a lot more meltdowns this offseason? Gotta keep up your shitposting to stay in peak midseason form.
I don't think you're smart enough to understand. Nothing personal though.

Am I doing this right?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I am going to melt down after the draft

Does someone want to buy me my account back as a gesture of good faith when I get banned for throwing a huge tantrum

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Intruder posted:

I am going to melt down after the draft

Does someone want to buy me my account back as a gesture of good faith when I get banned for throwing a huge tantrum

What, you give up the blue badge of authority, and think you can step back in line with us common folk? Once The Man, always The Man.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The only difference was I was immune from tantrum-bans while I had my blue badge

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
andey

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

yeee

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

N: Chad Johnson toasted some dude for a touchdown in a game for a Mexican (American) Football League.

V: Viva Ocho Cincowns

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I love him

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe he can be a hall of famer there

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Volkerball posted:

Maybe he can be a hall of famer there

They should just show a highlight reel from his 2011 season to make sure it will never happen.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Shut up shut up shut up Chad Johnson is a Hall of famer!!!!!!

In my heart :smith:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Cowboys releasing Romo, Romo leaving football for TV. Per Schefter live on ESPN.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yep.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/849223849229070336

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Good for him.

Romo was an awesome QB and it bothers me that his legacy is "choker lol"

but I'm glad he's not going to get hurt anymore

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ehud posted:

Good for him.

Romo was an awesome QB and it bothers me that his legacy is "choker lol"

but I'm glad he's not going to get hurt anymore

:agreed:

His body just couldn't take even routine hits anyone, it's probably good he's quitting sooner rather than later.

Sorry Texans fans.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Time for Kaep to lead the Texans to a superbowl while jj watt looks disapprovingly on at him from the sidelines.

*jj watts inner goober dialog*

HOW DARE HE DISRESPECT ARE TROOPS

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Good for Tony. :unsmith:

sorry texans fans

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Absolutely the right decision by Romo, but man did he deserve a better close to his career. Feels so anticlimactic.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Real question: how does release and retire vs. straight up retiring without the release impact the salary cap hit?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
♪♬
Goodbye Tony

it's been nice

Hope you find your paradise...
♪♬

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This makes literally no sense.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/849236814854598656

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Romo's final game ever was a loss to the Eagles. I'll take it. Of course we also are probably responsible for his crippling back issues so that kinda sucks :smith:

Sorry all those Cowboys fans never appreciated you Tony. I always liked you. Enjoy golf and TV.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

swickles posted:

Real question: how does release and retire vs. straight up retiring without the release impact the salary cap hit?

I don't think it changes he cap hit at all - either way, any cash paid to Romo that hasn't yet been accounted for in the salary cap (e.g., prorated signing bonus) accelerates to this year.

The bigger difference would be for Romo himself, who could sign with any team should he unretire. If not released, Dallas would still own his rights.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I like the occasional reminder that NFL executives aren't very bright.

Yeah the crippled old man is going to come in and do just fine in a system he's totally unfamiliar with, after several months of sitting around talking and golfing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Apparently, if Romo retired the Cowboys could have tried to get some of his singing bonus back, but they were never going to do that anyway.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article141140903.html

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Tony...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So Romo and Tony Gonzalez never got a ring right? Petersons gonna be another great that didn't?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Best undrafted qb ever?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Volkerball posted:

Best undrafted qb ever?

1. Warren loving Moon
2. Kurt Warner
3. Romo

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah I forgot about moon but it's hard to consider him a real undrafted free agent. He wasn't exactly under the radar. Warner is probably the best with that in mind.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

If we're just looking at actual QB play, Romo is #2 behind Staubach for the Cowboys. The difference is Romo wasted his peak years playing for garbage coaches in the "Drunk Jerry GM" era instead of playing for Tom Landry or Jimmy Johnson. By the time Garrett improved to league average and Jerry had started cutting back making personnel decisions while wasted on Johnnie Walker Blue Label, Romo's bones were pretzel sticks.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 4, 2017

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Kalli posted:

1. Warren loving Moon
2. Kurt Warner
3. Romo

Romo vs Warner is a close call. Warner had much better teams throughout his career including Orlando Pace, Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Fitz, and that nasty Cardinals D. I think I'd give the nod to Romo although Kurt is a much cooler story.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sean10mm posted:

If we're just looking at actual QB play, Romo is #2 behind Staubach for the Cowboys. The difference is Romo wasted his peak years playing for garbage coaches in the "Drunk Jerry GM" era instead of playing for Tom Landry or Jimmy Johnson. By the time Garrett improved to league average and Jerry had started cutting back making personnel decisions while wasted on Johnnie Walker Blue Label, Romo's bones were pretzel sticks.

Romo started breaking bones in 2010.

Which, to be fair is when Garrett took over, but he wasn't league average at that point.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Part of me wishes this is a ploy by Romo to get released and joins the Texans.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
TOM SAVAGE IS REAL

again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

• Locked thread