Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

CharlestheHammer posted:

Is there something special about 78?

I imagine the way their board us shaping up for the draft, they really have a hard on for 78 players and this is their way if getting one of those guys for someone they won't keep next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/sbjsbd/status/849275666851876864

tony romo confirmed as greatest cowboys qb ever. thank you tony

Godspeed Tony. Truly America's team.
:patriot:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I can't get over how dumb it is to trade away a legit shot as the best defensive line in football to turn a late 3rd round pick into a mid 3rd round pick.

By typical NFL trade logic you can add a round for every year out a pick is. So if you buy into that you're trading a mid 3rd for a late 4th in 2017 pick value.

I'm sure that helps a lot.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Grittybeard posted:

By typical NFL trade logic you can add a round for every year out a pick is. So if you buy into that you're trading a mid 3rd for a late 4th in 2017 pick value.

I'm sure that helps a lot.

I have always found that logic inherently flawed. The value of the future pick should be based on the strength of the draft class. If I trade for a future second round pick and that class has 60 players projected to have a first round grade, is that pick really only worth a third?

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Top 10s and Top 100s are out and lame. Don't show me a YouTube video unless its the Top 78 Mark Sanchez moments

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Spintzel posted:

Top 10s and Top 100s are out and lame. Don't show me a YouTube video unless its the Top 78 Mark Sanchez moments

*scrambles home to put together a video of Butt Fumble repeated 77 times followed by "Ugly! And a loss!"*

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spoeank posted:

Lol it's pretty clearly exactly a 78 player deep draft. 79 to the end is a waste.

(It's like when someone says something is top 7... It means they're #7. It probably just means their last top 100 pick is 78 and it sounds better than top 100)

You think he would have stopped at like 80 to make it less blatant.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think this got missed: the next all or nothing (amazon hard knocks) covers the rams.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

hifi posted:

i think this got missed: the next all or nothing (amazon hard knocks) covers the rams.

Why can't they pick a team that isn't a literal ruin

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
He said Rams, not Niners.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

This makes no loving sense to me from the Ravens side but hey cool a good player for almost no cost.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

WHOOPS posted:

It's this. The Ravens natural 3rd round pick is #78.

It'd probably be easier to just say "4 picks in the first 3 rounds" but whatever.
That's the other thing, it just means they have a single extra pick

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Diqnol posted:

Can ravens fans tell me if he'll ever play a snap? Stats say he's worth 5 sacks a year which honestly seems decent?

hes a terrific young player, yeah he will play for you. unless he has that weird ex ravens magic that has killed art jones and pernell mcphee and a billion other dudes i guess

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ghost Dog posted:

hes a terrific young player, yeah he will play for you. unless he has that weird ex ravens magic that has killed art jones and pernell mcphee and a billion other dudes i guess

It isn't ex ravens magic that killed McPhee. It's ex knee cartilage or whatever the gently caress is wrong with him. When he is on the field, he's a boss.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I was personally super glad when the Ravens let McPhee walk. He's a sack machine

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Sataere posted:

It isn't ex ravens magic that killed McPhee. It's ex knee cartilage or whatever the gently caress is wrong with him. When he is on the field, he's a boss.

same with art jones and a ton of other ex ravens, which was my point. neither of those guys had any injury problems their entire time with the ravens and then they imploded. i don't think its anything special its just an odd coincidence that the ones they let walk into fa always tend to fail. kelechi osemele is good i guess.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I was personally super glad when the Ravens let McPhee walk. He's a sack machine

he was rad as situational pass rusher his last year yeah. theyve consistently developed interior lineman(which is where mcphee started, idk what he played in chicago his last year for the ravens he was a hybrid) so they were fine with art jones/mcphee walking, along with a bunch of other dudes whose claim to fame was being the guy playing next to haloti ngata. its also probably why they were fine trading jernigan, they have a terrific young DT named michael pierce who had a great year on limited snaps.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

He actually had knee problems in Baltimore. One if the main reasons they let him walk was the fear that it'd be chronic, which was a good bet on their part.

He is an OLB in our 3-4 and is still a sack machine four games a year. I hope he stays healthy this season, because he is a nasty player and fun as heck to watch.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

he missed 4 games his entire time here with a minor knee injury, and they let him walk cause they could not afford him. thats not really anything like what you are saying

e:the most i can find is a minor knee injury from training camp in 2012. he actually missed the games from a thigh injury.

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 5, 2017

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Amazon Prime's taking over the CBS/NBC Thursday Night streams from twitter

https://www.recode.net/2017/4/4/15184100/nfl-amazon-football-games-thursday-streaming-watch-live-prime-twitter

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I remember pernell Mcphee had severe knee problems throughout his life but especially while playing for the Ravens. almost every day he would say something to the effect of, "my knee hurts so bad i don't even know what to. i guess it's fine though" and it wasn't

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Cavauro posted:

I remember pernell Mcphee had severe knee problems throughout his life but especially while playing for the Ravens. almost every day he would say something to the effect of, "my knee hurts so bad i don't even know what to. i guess it's fine though" and it wasn't

dang

e: the most i can find on this is a blurry picture of a tattoo on andy daltons left inner thigh that spells his name without an e

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 5, 2017

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
that picture is a lie

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sataere posted:

I have always found that logic inherently flawed. The value of the future pick should be based on the strength of the draft class. If I trade for a future second round pick and that class has 60 players projected to have a first round grade, is that pick really only worth a third?

Enh; it's partly flawed. Yes, theoretically a 1st-round pick should have the same value any year, but the uncertainty tied to next year's pick--both in terms of placement in the draft and the quality of players available--does make it *slightly* less desirable. Though if I were making those decisions, I'd probably dock it something like a third of a round in value rather than a full round.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BRING BACK THE FANTASY ANNOUNCERS

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And then, you are the Rams GM who trades away tons of draft picks for Goff.

Still early. But uhh he didn't look to good.

:jerky:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Man and his dog posted:

And then, you are the Rams GM who trades away tons of draft picks for Goff.

Still early. But uhh he didn't look to good.

:jerky:
Well, look at that coaching staff last year...

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

FizFashizzle posted:

PLEASE.

I almost died laughing because they roasted some garbage no name cornerback relentlessly for multiple drives

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

whypick1 posted:

*scrambles home to put together a video of Butt Fumble repeated 77 times followed by "Ugly! And a loss!"*

This is my personal favorite.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

TheChirurgeon posted:

Enh; it's partly flawed. Yes, theoretically a 1st-round pick should have the same value any year, but the uncertainty tied to next year's pick--both in terms of placement in the draft and the quality of players available--does make it *slightly* less desirable. Though if I were making those decisions, I'd probably dock it something like a third of a round in value rather than a full round.

I don't think it's that the value of the pick that diminishes, so much as the fear that you won't be around to use it drives GMs towards​ undervaluing them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bobjr posted:

You'd think he'd leave well enough alone when the db was like "nah" but welp

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
This is so amazing

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/04/04/tom-brady-super-bowl-jerseys-fbi-tip-iteam-exclusive/

When they make the Brady movie, this absolutely needs to be a major plot line or even a spin off.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

bobjr posted:

andey is a better receiver and lover

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

John Brown posted:

Guys...I'm really down about the way this all happened. These emotions may be premature but I'm really considering moving the Cowboys down a notch and finding a new #1 team to root for. Any suggestions?

Off the bat my runner-ups are: Broncos, Chiefs, Eagles, Panthers, Seahawks, Steelers, and Texans.

If you like great QB play then definitely the Broncos

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

AggressivelyStupid posted:

andey is a better receiver and lover

I mean, I guess if you're into that adorably slow and bumbly-type, which can be adorable. But if you want an aggressive manhorse, I'm sure that their other QB that fit the mold better than &e.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Those Yahoo fantasy announcers were the best announcing team I've ever seen. More TV broadcasts should embrace a funnier, less old white man style commentary track.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sataere posted:

The top 60 a year before the draft looks completely different than it does on draft day. It's a crapshoot to be like oh yeah the draft two years from now looks really deep.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

axeil posted:

Those Yahoo fantasy announcers were the best announcing team I've ever seen. More TV broadcasts should embrace a funnier, less old white man style commentary track.

Why do you think Bob Uecker is so awesome?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

The top 60 a year before the draft looks completely different than it does on draft day. It's a crapshoot to be like oh yeah the draft two years from now looks really deep.

Plus, you also know way more about your team now than you do about your team next year, which further complicates things. Even if next year's draft is super-deep on Defensive Ends, you may not need one then.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Also there's never going to be 60 'first round talents' in a draft. I could see it varying between 20-40 every year but I'd be shocked if there were ever that huge of a variance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Big Jesus posted:

Also there's never going to be 60 'first round talents' in a draft. I could see it varying between 20-40 every year but I'd be shocked if there were ever that huge of a variance.

Well, suppose some new steroid hits the market that's even better than the gear current players are on. If there's a massive upgrade in, lets call it "sports nutrition," you could see a year or two where there is a huge difference between those on the new stuff vs not before it normalizes and everyone is on it or it's banned.

• Locked thread