Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Haven't been around a ton this off-season, but just stopping buy to get some laughs in at the Houston Texans who not only failed to secure Romo, but drove him right the gently caress out of football.

:lol:

On that note, I'd like to also laugh my rear end off at Phil Sims getting booted from the #1 CBS analyst spot.

:laugh:

Congrats, you lucky west-coast NFL fans. Perhaps Phil Sims will gently caress off and die so no one has to wonder how to mute the announcer channel on Sundays ever again.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
How did they drive him out of football?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Amy Pole Her posted:

How did they drive him out of football?

With hyperbole.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Is there a reason the Texans wouldn't take a shot with Cutler? He seems the best of a bunch of bad options and Cutler isn't that horrible a QB. He's certainly better than Osweiler-tier.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

axeil posted:

Is there a reason the Texans wouldn't take a shot with Cutler? He seems the best of a bunch of bad options and Cutler isn't that horrible a QB. He's certainly better than Osweiler-tier.

It's not even certain Cutler wants to keep playing.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
How many different coordinators and offenses has Cutler been through?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Cutler would be enough to make the Texans contenders. I know last season was a disaster, but I'm not really sure how he slipped into the Hoyer/Fitzpatrick tier of QBs.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think it's possible Cutler just has an idea of what he wants to be paid that teams don't like. And he's done enough that if people aren't going to meet his demands he'll just walk away.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Turns it beggars can be choosers

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
If I'm going to have a half decent QB on my team, his rear end better not resemble Hank Hill's.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

FizFashizzle posted:

It's not even certain Cutler wants to keep playing.

Cutler discovers there is a all NFL stadium ban on smoking!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Going ubder for routine elbow surgery. Just got the nerve block.

Just wanna say I enjoy talking about football with you l.

Hope to see you soon!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

FizFashizzle posted:

Going ubder for routine elbow surgery. Just got the nerve block.

Just wanna say I enjoy talking about football with you l.

Hope to see you soon!

Fire up the gif!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dude, it's routine!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Fire up the gif!

Haha, someone find one of these and do it. Do we have one this year?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
That Ringer drafting a QB article is amazingly bad.

Haha it's by Michael Lombardi

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

quote:

Trait No. 5: The Crib Factor
Was he born to be a quarterback?
lol but everyone knows you can only draft QBs who have The Look.

https://theringer.com/2017-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-deshaun-watson-mitchell-trubisky-6e0d45a52fa5

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Jesus, you weren't kidding. I believe the dude actually included "body language" just to poo poo on Cutler.

As always, it's worth reposting Parcells' rules for drafting a QB, which actually still hold up very well:

quote:

1. He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
2. He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
3. He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as "the guy" for some period of time.
4. He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

TheChirurgeon posted:

As always, it's worth reposting Parcells' rules for drafting a QB, which actually still hold up very well:

And that's how the Dolphins drafted John Beck Chad Henne! Now you know... the rest of the story.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 5, 2017

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Let's look at this draft class to see who fits the rules. QBs with at least 23 wins as well as being a senior.

Joshua Dobbs
C.J. Beathard
Seth Russell
Cooper Rush
Zach Terrell
Mitch Leidner

So basically a whole host of 7th rounders or UFA guys.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Diva Cupcake posted:

Let's look at this draft class to see who fits the rules. QBs with at least 23 wins as well as being a senior.

Joshua Dobbs
C.J. Beathard
Seth Russell
Cooper Rush
Zach Terrell
Mitch Leidner

Hey, Dak Prescott fits all 4 criteria :colbert:

So did Wentz, I believe

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Jesus, you weren't kidding. I believe the dude actually included "body language" just to poo poo on Cutler.

For the bare minimum that's actually pretty solid.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hey, Dak Prescott fits all 4 criteria :colbert:

So did Wentz, I believe

Wasn't Wentz only a 2 year starter because he missed a year due to injury? Also he had a whole bunch of wins but I don't think he hit ~*23*~.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

Wasn't Wentz only a 2 year starter because he missed a year due to injury? Also he had a whole bunch of wins but I don't think he hit ~*23*~.

He hit like 2. Them little exhibition shits he was playing at in bumfuck Dakota don't count.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How are you gonna earn an mvp award if you couldn't even earn a d1 scholarship

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Who is this?

quote:

Recently a top prospect — I won’t say who — was dinged by his college teammates. They hated him to the degree that they refused to attend any of his private workouts. That’s a huge red flag. An unfortunate NFL team ignored it and drafted him on Day 1. What happened? His new teammates ended up feeling just like his old ones. That’s a surprise? You don’t just suddenly flip from being a bad teammate to a good one.

I want to say Hackenberg but he was Round 2.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Connor Cook. His teammates supposedly hated him.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2016/04/30/connor-cook-nfl-draft-michigan-state-spartans/83740594/

e:Oh, Day 1. nm

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Drafted day 1? They would have to be a first rounder if it was recent.

Johnny Manziel?

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

SKULL.GIF posted:

Who is this?

I want to say Hackenberg but he was Round 2.

Isn't that the plot about that fake movie with Kevin Costner about a Browns GM making good decisions on draft day

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

After a brief Bill Parcels wikipedia rabbit hole I just learned that Quincy Carter is "currently a free agent".

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Also about 2nd round picks having nearly an identical value to 1st round picks

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

DariusLikewise posted:

Drafted day 1? They would have to be a first rounder if it was recent.

Johnny Manziel?

It's John S Football Esquire

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

For what it's worth an MSU athletic coordinator buddy of mine said it was a smear campaign so :shrug:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

For what it's worth an MSU athletic coordinator buddy of mine said it was a smear campaign so :shrug:

Watch him get beat out by EJ lol

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Shh it's okay

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Blitz7x posted:

Shh it's okay

Von Miller to Oakland: Confirmed.

Oh wait....

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Here's Deadspin's takedown of the Lombardi QB piece.

https://deadspin.com/the-ringers-mike-lombardi-claims-seven-insights-into-go-1794051550

He also apparently wrote a similar piece before the 2011 draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f773b8/article/few-have-necessary-traits-to-draft-coach-quarterbacks?campaign=Twitter_features

quote:

There might be as many as five quarterbacks drafted in the first round this year, and we all realize not all of them are likely to become winners. We also know that the recent odds dictate that only two of the five will be successful. The key will be evaluating which two.

While there is a perception about Mallett, the reality is much different. With that in mind, my money is on Mallett and Blaine Gabbert being the two to succeed. Each fits the criteria above and has the skill set to lead a team.

Only time will tell who is right

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Diva Cupcake posted:

Joshua Dobbs
C.J. Beathard
Seth Russell
Cooper Rush
Zach Terrell
Mitch Leidner

Mods, please change my name to cj beathard, tia

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That's a good takedown of Lombardi's dumbass article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

One of my friends who is a total football layperson saw an article about the Seahawks possibly trading away Richard Sherman and they're devastated that it might be true. How can I reassure them everything is going to be okay (as long as they don't trade him to the loving pats)?

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 6, 2017

• Locked thread