Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Can the world handle Richard Sherman, Marcus Peters and Eric Berry on the same secondary? It's worth a draft pick or two to find out in my opinion. Not that we could afford him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Ehh no thanks, he is old and slowing down

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Do not want

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Sherman is broken now

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Even if he was slowed down due to recoverable Injuries, I think DB is a position of strength for KC. We have no real ILBs, or a good LG, or a good QB and would rather make costly trades to shore those positions up

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Those are some really hot

Amy Pole Her posted:

Sherman is broken now

That's a stretch. He may have not had an all-pro year, but that doesn't mean he's broken. We tend to hold the great players to such a high standard that when they falter folks go all LOST SEASON.

I think it takes a couple of consecutive bad seasons, or one abysmal year, before being able to say a player is done.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

kiimo posted:

Can the world handle Richard Sherman, Marcus Peters and Eric Berry on the same secondary? It's worth a draft pick or two to find out in my opinion. Not that we could afford him.

How would they draft mahomes in the first?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

John Brown posted:

Those are some really hot

That's a stretch. He may have not had an all-pro year, but that doesn't mean he's broken. We tend to hold the great players to such a high standard that when they falter folks go all LOST SEASON.

I think it takes a couple of consecutive bad seasons, or one abysmal year, before being able to say a player is done.

Furthermore, Nnamdi will be fine because

(Sherman was a step slower last season though, probably just because of his repeatedly undisclosed injuries)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Players like Sherman that rely on their physicality don't age gracefully.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Sherman already had to mask his lack of deep speed and dudes lost a step.

He's broken, imo. I also think he was the beneficiary of some lax holding on defense so I mean... consider the source

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'd like Sherman to stay with the Seahawks but he's turned into an rear end in a top hat and distraction in addition to being a gimpy 29 year old cornerback

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Grittybeard posted:

Haha, someone find one of these and do it. Do we have one this year?

We have no regular season victims yet (but Richards is going on there real soon)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Richard sherman gets roasted by the jizzle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zEjOao1Jo4

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Corner is such an impossible position to play that I'm in awe of anyone who can do it well for more than one season. Sherman at least seems like he could pull off the transition to safety.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Corner is such an impossible position to play that I'm in awe of anyone who can do it well for more than one season. Sherman at least seems like he could pull off the transition to safety.

not fast enough to play center field, not physical enough to play in the box, i assume you get laughed at if you ask to play "left slot corner"

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You don't have to be a speed demon to play free safety. Unless his injuries have really slowed him down Sherman should be more than fast enough to play the back end.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
How many elite CBs have successfully transitioned into a FS role after they stopped being elite CBs?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, Ronde Barber...

I think there are a few others but it definitely helps to be named Woodson.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

slow veteran free safety?

why yes im a panthers fan why do you ask?

he can also use thomas davis' fountain of youth!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't Seattle mostly run man to man? The only way you make that transition is if you're used to playing zone.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm preparing myself for the worst. I'm not confident Seattle knows what to trade him for.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't like Richard Sherman, but wasn't he playing with a partially torn MCL last year?

I think he's probably lost a step from his youth, but not as much as last season would lead you to believe.

Still don't want him on the Chiefs.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FAT BATMAN posted:

One of my friends who is a total football layperson saw an article about the Seahawks possibly trading away Richard Sherman and they're devastated that it might be true. How can I reassure them everything is going to be okay (as long as they don't trade him to the loving pats)?

Tell them the most important player on the team is the 12th man :smug:

Or that he's getting older and really expensive.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Keith Atherton posted:

I'd like Sherman to stay with the Seahawks but he's turned into an rear end in a top hat and distraction in addition to being a gimpy 29 year old cornerback

*whispers* He's always been an rear end in a top hat, man.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, Ronde Barber...

I think there are a few others but it definitely helps to be named Woodson.

Hell, Champ Bailey didn't do it, iirc. There was buzz, but basically he just washed out.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 6, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Aeneas Williams was amazing at free safety for 3 years after he got traded to the Rams

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Chilichimp posted:

Hell, Champ Bailey didn't do it, iirc. There was buzz, but basically he just washed out.
Champ Bailey getting shook in Super Bowl XLVIII is what ultimately forced him into retirement

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

Aeneas Williams was amazing at free safety for 3 years after he got traded to the Rams

way better than jason sehorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_tk9MFKAVs

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
That is one of my least favourite moments in Rams history, that team was really good except for Jason Sehorn literally all season.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Spoeank posted:

Furthermore, Nnamdi will be fine because

(Sherman was a step slower last season though, probably just because of his repeatedly undisclosed injuries)

In all fairness to Nnamdi, the Eagles had an o-line coach as their defensive coordinator while he was there. Its possible that he might've had another good or at least decent year or two somewhere with a non-poo poo coordinator. I don't doubt that he declned, I'm just not totally sure it was a cliff he fell off of after leaving the Raiders.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

In all fairness to Nnamdi, the Eagles had an o-line coach as their defensive coordinator while he was there. Its possible that he might've had another good or at least decent year or two somewhere with a non-poo poo coordinator. I don't doubt that he declned, I'm just not totally sure it was a cliff he fell off of after leaving the Raiders.

he hadnt been thrown at in years because the rest of the team was such trash.

its probable that hed been off that ledge for a while.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FizFashizzle posted:

He kind of had a hit or miss year or two right before he left. He'd play lights out against his targets one week, then get lit up by Henne and Hartline the next. He got injured quite a few times too. He was always nursing something. I suppose the writing was on the wall, but throwing him in zone coverage didn't help him out much.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

And then he went to San Francisco when we had a great defense and got obliterated and cut after a few games.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Quiet Feet posted:

Yeah but they signed him to play in the wrong system, regardless of who the individual DC was. Castillo could have been a DC but he had random players thrown at him. They had Asante Samuel, a fantastic zone corner already on the roster, so they go ahead an sign Nnamdi, an excellent man corner?

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

EXTREMELY TRIGGERED

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
The problem with going out and grabbing Sherman is that you can instead get Malcolm Butler

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

This played a bit more of a factor than I think some people realize. Those 2011 or 2012 Eagles that had nnamdi and drc yet still could not defend the pass were one of the biggest failures I've ever seen.

Nnamdi fell off hard at some point but drc is still a very good corner 5 years later yet he was awful in philly. poo poo coordinators can really kill a team.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Iodised QQ posted:

This played a bit more of a factor than I think some people realize. Those 2011 or 2012 Eagles that had nnamdi and drc yet still could not defend the pass were one of the biggest failures I've ever seen.

Nnamdi fell off hard at some point but drc is still a very good corner 5 years later yet he was awful in philly. poo poo coordinators can really kill a team.

Nnamdi had some bigger issues, but I'll agree on DCs. I'm coming around to the notion that "Defensive Coordinator" is the second-most important position on a team behind QB.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nnamdi had some bigger issues, but I'll agree on DCs. I'm coming around to the notion that "Defensive Coordinator" is the second-most important position on a team behind QB.

I really and truly think had Jim Johnson not died the Eagles would've had multiple Super Bowl wins.

gently caress cancer, man.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
yeah, it's possible they might have in 2009 if he hadn't died before the season. That was a really, really good team.

That and Jamaal Jackson tearing his knee up against Denver in like week 16 or something along those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Sherman, come to the Broncos. We need an appropriate backup in case Talib gets any morals.

• Locked thread