Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
A lot of the media are talking like McDermott is running the whole show in general. The guy is good but I don't think he's the wunderkind that you want controlling every aspect of your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

Whaley was, sadly, probably the best GM the Bills have had since the beginning of their playoff drought. He didn't give lucrative extensions to marginal white defensive players over Jabari Greer and he didn't draft Aaron Maybin.

But he was still bad. EJ was, obviously, a massive whiff and Whaley was physically incapable of acknowledging Manuel should be a sunk cost. He gets a lot of credit for finding talent in the most obscure places (Lorenzo Alexander, Zach Brown, Chris Hogan, Mike Gillislee), but he was unable to retain most of said talent and his drafts were low-key disastrous. And, I mean, he somehow managed to burn through two coaching staffs in four years.
Yeah, gently caress Doug Whaley. He only ever seemed okay compared to the horror show that came before.
Not sure about giving McDermott complete control, but whatever. At least they're trying.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

zimbomonkey posted:

A lot of the media are talking like McDermott is running the whole show in general. The guy is good but I don't think he's the wunderkind that you want controlling every aspect of your team.

You're probably right, but I like what I've seen so far, and it probably won't be any worse than the clown show that this franchise has been for the last 17+ years

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fsif posted:

Whaley was, sadly, probably the best GM the Bills have had since the beginning of their playoff drought. He didn't give lucrative extensions to marginal white defensive players over Jabari Greer and he didn't draft Aaron Maybin

Bills GM records since 2000

Tom Donahoe (2001-2005) 31-49 record

Marv Levy (2006-2007) 14-18 record

Russ Brandon (2008-2009) 13-19 record

Buddy Nix (2010-2012) 16-32 record

Doug Whaley (2013-2016) 30-34 record

So yeah, he was best by a lot

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers Brandon beane will likely be tapped to replace Whaley.

Panthers might give him a raise to keep him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Someone remind me what the Bills did in free agency this year if anything? They didn't cut Tyrod at least.

I'd assume this decision was made a long time ago so I'm wondering what Whaley did between when they decided to fire him and when they actually fired him.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

Those cold dead eyes

Fun fact: this man's mother is the actress that played Felicia in Friday.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Someone remind me what the Bills did in free agency this year if anything? They didn't cut Tyrod at least.

I'd assume this decision was made a long time ago so I'm wondering what Whaley did between when they decided to fire him and when they actually fired him.

Keeping Tyrod was the marquee move. They lost Gilmore and Gillislee to the Patriots. They signed Micah Hyde.

https://twitter.com/optimumscouting/status/858682680430526468

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
According to some Boston TV station Aaron Hernandez didn't have any drugs in his system when he died. So I guess the spice rumor was bullshit if that's correct.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

If Ground Control is to be believed Gillislee could turn out to be something special, too.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If Ground Control is to be believed Gillislee could turn out to be something special, too.

He was insanely good when McCoy was in the lineup, less so the couple games when he was the starter.

But he'll be an absolute stud in New England.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

fsif posted:

He was insanely good when McCoy was in the lineup, less so the couple games when he was the starter.

But he'll be an absolute stud in New England.

Yeah Belichick is pretty drat good at adapting his gameplan to the strengths of his RB's.

I still think they gave up a year early on Blount but he always does.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 30, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Belichick took Antowain Smith, one of the Bills' all-time shittiest backs, and won 2 Super Bowls with him

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Doug Whaley is a garbage can that I'm glad is no longer employed

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Browns did not draft Corn Elder so I give their draft a F-

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006
No one likes me, but by god I will hold posting grudges for years to get into the cool kids club. I've won title as a most ignored user! Please unignore me uWu
Smellrose
Reuben Foster hanging up on the Saints after the Niners drafted him is the first thing that's happened related to the Niners that I've enjoyed since Tomsula was still coach.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Reuben Foster hanging up on the Saints after the Niners drafted him is the first thing that's happened related to the Niners that I've enjoyed since Tomsula was still coach.

What about John Lynch owning the Bears?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fsif posted:

Whaley was, sadly, probably the best GM the Bills have had since the beginning of their playoff drought. He didn't give lucrative extensions to marginal white defensive players over Jabari Greer and he didn't draft Aaron Maybin.

But he was still bad. EJ was, obviously, a massive whiff and Whaley was physically incapable of acknowledging Manuel should be a sunk cost. He gets a lot of credit for finding talent in the most obscure places (Lorenzo Alexander, Zach Brown, Chris Hogan, Mike Gillislee), but he was unable to retain most of said talent and his drafts were low-key disastrous. And, I mean, he somehow managed to burn through two coaching staffs in four years.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/858694873221918721

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

One of those scouts was just hired 3 months or so ago. Packed up his whole family from Louisiana to move to Buffalo. What a lovely thing.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Apparently he really wanted to be a 49er. Go figure.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That's cool. If he always wanted to be one and got drafted by his dream team awesome.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006
No one likes me, but by god I will hold posting grudges for years to get into the cool kids club. I've won title as a most ignored user! Please unignore me uWu
Smellrose

Sheen Sheen posted:

What about John Lynch owning the Bears?

It's just more fun when we make the Saints suffer.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Why wait until the day after the draft to fire the dude and everyone responsible for it, was it something to do with free agency and bad timing?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Let's check in with the Panthe-

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/858740469987192834

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

GobiasIndustries posted:

Why wait until the day after the draft to fire the dude and everyone responsible for it, was it something to do with free agency and bad timing?
The Pegulas are assholes :shrug:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

They put it as "it was the end of the scouting season". Theoretically they didn't want Bills opponents to about the much coveted Whaley intel.

I think probably, though, they originally planned on giving Whaley at least one more year until McDermott entered the picture. McD really won over ownership and convinced them that Whaley was bad at his job (see the hubbub around Taylor, Tyrod). National media outlets labeling Whaley as the worst GM in e league probably didn't help his case.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

For what it's worth the Panthers are denying that he is that fat

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

For what it's worth the Panthers are denying that he is that fat

no, they said he doesn't weight 280.

he could weight 3 bills for all we know.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

it needs more chins.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

:perfect:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Whaley was a good scout but bad manager but did some good trades.
He traded Kiko for McCoy
He traded a lovely LB for Jerry Hughes
He's grabbed some good guys off the street.
But then there was the Watkins pick. The pushing for EJ. The fact that the entire 2013(?) draft is gone
He also wasn't managing the cap, they need to fire that guy too (Overdorf), so he was a half manager?
He's awkward and weird.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Everyone should really keep in mind that Doug Whaley was pushing the EJ Manuel Reclamation Project as recently as Week 17 of the 2016 season

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The Colts signed Ken Griffey Jr's son and boy do I feel old today

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Benjamin for Watkins straight up

who says no

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

The rare lose lose trade

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

fast cars loose anus posted:

The Colts signed Ken Griffey Jr's son and boy do I feel old today

:stare:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Benjamin for Watkins straight up

who says no

It's rumored that the Bills are not going to pick up Watkins's fifth-year option, so they might not!

(As a quick aside, I personally think the Watkins "injury-prone" narrative is overblown.)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fwiw nobody had Watkins valued lower than where the bills took him. Completely respectable pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Volkerball posted:

Fwiw nobody had Watkins valued lower than where the bills took him. Completely respectable pick.

If i remember correctly the problem wasn't where he was drafted, everyone knew the guy was talented. The Bills just gave up a lot of picks to move up to get him which made fans upset.

• Locked thread