Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

CharlestheHammer posted:

Is there something special about 78?

I imagine the way their board us shaping up for the draft, they really have a hard on for 78 players and this is their way if getting one of those guys for someone they won't keep next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Grittybeard posted:

By typical NFL trade logic you can add a round for every year out a pick is. So if you buy into that you're trading a mid 3rd for a late 4th in 2017 pick value.

I'm sure that helps a lot.

I have always found that logic inherently flawed. The value of the future pick should be based on the strength of the draft class. If I trade for a future second round pick and that class has 60 players projected to have a first round grade, is that pick really only worth a third?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ghost Dog posted:

hes a terrific young player, yeah he will play for you. unless he has that weird ex ravens magic that has killed art jones and pernell mcphee and a billion other dudes i guess

It isn't ex ravens magic that killed McPhee. It's ex knee cartilage or whatever the gently caress is wrong with him. When he is on the field, he's a boss.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

He actually had knee problems in Baltimore. One if the main reasons they let him walk was the fear that it'd be chronic, which was a good bet on their part.

He is an OLB in our 3-4 and is still a sack machine four games a year. I hope he stays healthy this season, because he is a nasty player and fun as heck to watch.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

TheChirurgeon posted:

Enh; it's partly flawed. Yes, theoretically a 1st-round pick should have the same value any year, but the uncertainty tied to next year's pick--both in terms of placement in the draft and the quality of players available--does make it *slightly* less desirable. Though if I were making those decisions, I'd probably dock it something like a third of a round in value rather than a full round.

I don't think it's that the value of the pick that diminishes, so much as the fear that you won't be around to use it drives GMs towards​ undervaluing them.

• Locked thread