Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Warband is a favorite of mine and will enjoy watching this. I tend to fall into the trap of getting to a decent (~100) army and then losing steam, and starting over again, so it will be good to see some late game stuff (if we get there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

PotatoManJack posted:

Warband is a favorite of mine and will enjoy watching this. I tend to fall into the trap of getting to a decent (~100) army and then losing steam, and starting over again, so it will be good to see some late game stuff (if we get there).

Just wait until my turn and you'll witness us not only never getting there but somehow ending up in worse shape than we started.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

krisslanza posted:

You seem to not realize that Mount & Blade is probably one of the best games around.
This thread alone is making me wanna go boot it up again and play some campaigns.

I already did, though I do prefer Viking Conquest.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The List has been updated and uhhh....corrected because I hosed up the dates somehow :ohdear: but don't worry, it is no longer incorrect!

Also a reminder that we have a Discord server (click here to join) for our commanders and observers, just to make communication between folks a little easier!

Also, here's my final episode, wherein things actually happen!

Update 03 - Progress

With that, my involvement with Joanne is done. It was a brief but interesting time, but now it is fated that she will move on to the greener pastures of Iron Chitlin's computer!

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 7, 2017

Kangra
May 7, 2012

GoG has Warband on sale through this weekend for $6.66 if anyone's looking to pick it up right now.

The way the game starts always makes me wish that there was a slightly more peaceful sector to begin in.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Can you speed up time during travel in vanilla Warband or is it just Floris? I just discovered it after sinking a couple hundred hours into the game and I feel really dumb. :v:

I approve of your weapons, I never got the hang of ranged combat except for picking off some stationary dudes on walls, but two-handed melee is my favourite.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Aithon posted:

Can you speed up time during travel in vanilla Warband or is it just Floris? I just discovered it after sinking a couple hundred hours into the game and I feel really dumb. :v:

I approve of your weapons, I never got the hang of ranged combat except for picking off some stationary dudes on walls, but two-handed melee is my favourite.

It's in vanilla. Ctrl+Space.

Also don't forget that if you hold down F1 you drop a banner on the map that tells your troops to hold that position. I was over 100 hours in before I found that out.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
:siren: LP UPDATE :siren:

Update 04: Tournaments, Quests, and Bad Gameplay

In which Joanne changes her name to better reflect her lineage, enters a tournament, and meets a friend!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Iron Chitlin posted:

Update 04: Tournaments, Quests, and Bad Gameplay

In which Joanne changes her name to better reflect her lineage, enters a tournament, and meets a friend!

You had skill points at the start of the update! You could have put points in Prisoner Management!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah don't blame me for the lack of prisoner management skills, not only did I leave a level up for you to do whatever you wanted with but you also levelled up like five minutes before you complained about not having any :colbert: this is entirely not my fault and maybe Chitlin just needs to pay more attention

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

You had skill points at the start of the update! You could have put points in Prisoner Management!

Faerie Fortune posted:

Yeah don't blame me for the lack of prisoner management skills, not only did I leave a level up for you to do whatever you wanted with but you also levelled up like five minutes before you complained about not having any :colbert: this is entirely not my fault and maybe Chitlin just needs to pay more attention

:ssh: I actually don't like being a slave trader and hardly ever take prisoners while playing normally.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Iron Chitlin posted:

:ssh: I actually don't like being a slave trader and hardly ever take prisoners while playing normally.

But that just means you instead murder everyone, which is much worse. You're a monster! Your only saving grace is that at least you're an incompetent monster.

Also you should start trading runs to make mucho money and get a big big army. Of maybe horse archers, because that seems to be the worst option.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Update 05: A Day Full of Failure

In which JoanneLady Baja gets taught many lessons in humility.

Current Stats:

With this my meandering directionless quest for progress comes to an end. Best of luck Danaru!

Iron Chitlin fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 10, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The looter quest is awful. They spawn all over the area and then immediately set off in different directions at full speed. It takes a long time to chase down a group and after a single day they're spread out all across the map and you have no way of knowing where. I hope they fix that poo poo in the sequel whenever that is released.

Also, never ever use auto combat. It's utterly bonkers and heavily favors the enemy to the point that if you use it with 50 swadian knights against 10 bandits you're going to take losses and there won't be a clear victor so you're going to have to try and again and lose even more.

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 10, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Poil posted:

I hope they fix that poo poo in the sequel whenever that is released.

Right around the time Half-Life 3 gets out.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

aaand here's the save file!

That was some bad luck though holy poo poo. Well, except the part where you picked a fight with sea raiders, that part was your own fault :colbert:

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 13, 2017

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
I keep making fun of how bad I'm going to be at this but Chitlin is setting the bar REEEAL low.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I mean, in Chitlin's defence, the first thing that happened when I had the save file was being kidnapped, sometimes you really do just get lovely luck regardless of how good you are at the game

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Faerie Fortune posted:

I mean, in Chitlin's defence, the first thing that happened when I had the save file was being kidnapped, sometimes you really do just get lovely luck regardless of how good you are at the game

He still could have rested though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's bad luck, and there's telling the army to stand there and hold your beer while you charge into the enemy without resting from your last three defeats.
Turning up the difficulty sliders probably didn't help either.

I look forward to seeing Joanne/Lady Baja's concussed stagger towards greatness! :toot:

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

There's bad luck, and there's telling the army to stand there and hold your beer while you charge into the enemy without resting from your last three defeats.
Turning up the difficulty sliders probably didn't help either.

Rumda posted:

He still could have rested though.

It is entirely possible I'm really bad at video games, usually not as bad at this one, but still really sub-adequate in just about everything game related.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Iron Chitlin posted:

It is entirely possible I'm really bad at video games, usually not as bad at this one, but still really sub-adequate in just about everything game related.

Well the first action this episode was to muder some peasants. And has no prisoner management to kidnap the peasant women anyhow.

The secret gimmick of this run is that everyone starts with no troops due to incompetence.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 12, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I feel like after the Rock Paper Scissors incident, Crow should be banned from participating in other people's LPs.

:q:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

OP has been updated with Joanne Lady Baja's current stats and the current savefile!

Meanwhile I started a new game with the Floris modpack thanks to this thread, with the intent of taking over the world with an army made of nothing but female soldiers. My army is small but it is death incarnate.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Faerie Fortune posted:

OP has been updated with Joanne Lady Baja's current stats and the current savefile!

Meanwhile I started a new game with the Floris modpack thanks to this thread, with the intent of taking over the world with an army made of nothing but female soldiers. My army is small but it is death incarnate.

I try that a lot myself. It's a shame Sword Sisters and such, count as mercenaries. It adds up in cost...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Glad I'm not the only one.

Also justify the huge cost of them because fighting the patriarchy is an intersectional struggle and giving these women economic independence is just as important as the social and political struggle.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
M&B has had a special place in my heart ever since I discovered it back in 0.63(which means I was a fan before it was cool). I'm pretty late, but I'd like to sign up to make an update!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I started a new playthrough. Then was reminded I am bad at the game

It's a shame because I always like the idea of Operation Valkyrie.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Even on the easiest settings? Because they're the only ones I can play with and I'm still bad.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Even on the easiest settings? Because they're the only ones I can play with and I'm still bad.

yes. you know how Chitlin beat his way through most of the tourney? I usually die in round 1

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Werewhale posted:

M&B has had a special place in my heart ever since I discovered it back in 0.63(which means I was a fan before it was cool). I'm pretty late, but I'd like to sign up to make an update!

Signups are open any time!

Also yeah, don't feel ashamed of playing on babby difficulty, this game is balls hard even on normal and its a single player game, who cares what difficulty you play on to make it fun for you!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gotta say, this LP got me to start playing the game and I'm having a blast. I got so close to wiping out the Vaegirs before the Nords I was fighting for declared peace. Boooo. I wanted that castle, capture myself a fief.

I'd sign up, but I don't want to commit to anything as far out as July. I'll keep an eye out for when the list shortens though!

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

yes. you know how Chitlin beat his way through most of the tourney? I usually die in round 1

To be fair, not all tournaments are created equal.
If I end up in lands that do like, throwing weapons or throwing weapons on horseback, I'm pretty boned. I tend to try and lurk around Swadia or Nords, maybe even Rhodoks, because they don't have silly layouts. Although Swadia sometimes gets the fun of being an infantryman, against a man with a lance...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

krisslanza posted:

To be fair, not all tournaments are created equal.
If I end up in lands that do like, throwing weapons or throwing weapons on horseback, I'm pretty boned. I tend to try and lurk around Swadia or Nords, maybe even Rhodoks, because they don't have silly layouts. Although Swadia sometimes gets the fun of being an infantryman, against a man with a lance...

Pretty sure if you press x with javelins on horseback it turns them into a lovely lance and you can do couched lance damage instead. :getin:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

This is true! Most thrown weapons can be used as melee weapons, its actually kinda rad

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pretty sure if you press x with javelins on horseback it turns them into a lovely lance and you can do couched lance damage instead. :getin:

I usually forget about that... I really don't like thrown weapons. Although then the issue becomes, all the AI using throwing weapons. And those tournaments don't (usually) have any shields, so you turn into a javelin-cushion.

Faerie Fortune posted:

This is true! Most thrown weapons can be used as melee weapons, its actually kinda rad

Reminds me there's that Brytnwalda mod, and you can get the Gae Bolg. Which is a thrown pike...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Let's Play Mount & Blade Warband Episode 6 - The Shame Hat

Circlmastr and Fae join me on my adventure to antagonize everyone we come across! For a preview of what to expect, from the discord:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You sure taught those looters a lesson. But you didn't actually finish the quest. :v:

I am appalled at the lack of random arrow/bolt/javelin coming in a perfect arc right into the players face from a far distance.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

aaaand here's Danaru's save file for those of you who might be playing along! The save file is already in the hands of CirclMaster and he's already complaining in discord about choices I made.

I also made a playlist for the video updates! If that was a thing anyone wanted for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Let's Play Mount & Blade Warband Episode 7 - Technically Winning

In this episode, we find and hire an engineer, we infiltrate an enemy base to rescue the DARPA chief Jarl Irya, and everyone gets very upset about my grape purchasing decisions

• Locked thread