Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halser
Aug 24, 2016

krisslanza posted:

To be fair, that is the entirely point of a castle :haw:
Although some castle layouts are really, really bad for the attacker which is... I mean, the point. But on the other hand, unlike a real siege, you can't actually siege out your opponent sometimes. Even if they have no food, they'll still refuse to surrender.

For some of the Rhodok castles(especially late game) it's much better to gather a 1000+ men warband and auto-battle than to try to fight it normally. You're guaranteed to take less losses. Rhodok Sharpshooters by the dozens, thin ladders, long uphill walks, it's just suicide.

On the other hand, having your own bunch of rhodok sharpshooters is a good way to thin out an army before you assault. Siege, tell everyone to stand outside and fire at the walls. When they run out of arrows, leave and restart the siege. With enough Engineering skill you can do this pretty fast, making your melee units suffer much less in the actual assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'd say Borcha and Jeremus are two of the most important companions specifically because you can offload all the medical and pathfinding/spotting skills onto them, leaving you with more points to dump into Trainer or the murder-related skills

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah, Borcha. I remember back when he and Marnid were the only companions. Marnid was a total pain to hire because he wanted a particular set of armor before he joined. Padded cloth. No chain, no plate, no scale, just that goddamn elusive padded cloth. Naturally he refused any quality modifier to it if I remember correctly too, so no tattered or thick versions. :corsair:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
You could have easily kicked the poo poo out of those Khergit if you had waited in your castle rather than fighting them on the field.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

this sounds like a fun ride, i almost want to try reinstalling the game
it uh... might take me awhile to catch up with seven hour long videos

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Warband Week - Episode 10

GrimlockMaster joins me for the rebuilding period following the fall of The First Reactor. It shall rise again someday!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Good. We don't want any more reactor failures. :v:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

For those curious, here's gently caress Dick Tree's stats as of the 25th when the save file got handed over

speaking of the save file, its now in the OP but its here too if you don't feel like going back five pages to the OP

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I kinda like how CirclMastr is all cavalry all the time, while all of my cavalry in my own game is slavers (they really pay for themselves when you are in the "farm cash for enterprises" phase), couple of Sword Sisters, and they are only small part. Most of it is a mix of huscarls and Rhodok Sharpshooters. :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so what's the max/utility cap for weapon proficiencies? 200? 1000?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

double nine posted:

so what's the max/utility cap for weapon proficiencies? 200? 1000?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Warband Week - Episode 11

Can't believe I forgot to post an update yesterday.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

nice.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So something comes to mind as you guys try your hand at making this whole "Actually make a kingdom and infrastructure" thing stick, and Lady Joanne of Liquid Baja Dicktree is starting to climb the levels.

Is there any form of notable level scaling? My low ambitions might get a kick start into if it turns out bandits start looking like Nords on steroids while I'm happy to putter about with 20-30 murder hobos I can easily pay after a few melee runs. (Knowing my luck it was mentioned already and it flew right over my head)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 27, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's no level scaling. That's why Sea Raiders are death to low level parties and farming chaff for high level ones.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Floris kind of expands on this by having there spawn bandit kings who will at times gather humongous armies of raiders.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Just for shits and giggles, I opened up the savefile and took a look at Joanne gently caress Dick Tree's faction relations.

Good luck, Grimlock!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doesn't enemy party sizes scale to level? Bandit groups and so on gets larger as you level up.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Warband Week - Episode 12

Can The First Reactor rise again?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nope. :v:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Poil posted:

Doesn't enemy party sizes scale to level? Bandit groups and so on gets larger as you level up.

I don't think they do in the vanilla game. They do in Floris, and a number of mods. I know this as fact, as I found by messing with cheats, that if you ever reach level 64... your EXP overflows, and you become like... I forget. Tens of thousands of levels.
And then I saw in Floris as enemy lords had armies of tens of thousands and counting... oops.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Wow I am bad at updating.

Warband Week - Episode 13

Everyone betray me! I fed up with this worll!

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

So I'm guessing Swadia hates us because we took a Swadian castle & village, even if we didn't siege them directly to get it.

Seems like a safer route would be to join a faction that doesn't hate us so someone else is helping guard our real estate until we get strong enough to backstab them.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Broken Box posted:

So I'm guessing Swadia hates us because we took a Swadian castle & village, even if we didn't siege them directly to get it.

Seems like a safer route would be to join a faction that doesn't hate us so someone else is helping guard our real estate until we get strong enough to backstab them.

Yeah? Well look what happened to Liquid Snake when he relied on a Russian to help him found Outer Heaven.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CirclMastr posted:

Yeah? Well look what happened to Liquid Snake when he relied on a Russian to help him found Outer Heaven.

In this context you're the Russian.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

White Coke posted:

In this context you're the Russian.

That's some incredibly meta context to say that as the player, despite controlling the main character, I am myself a separate character in the game.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Unless things have changed, when you try to setup a usurper kingdom, it tends to just piss everyone off. Your not really a noble, and if you usurp their power, then more people might try doing it. So the AI will almost always declare war on you, even after buying peace from them. I managed to barely hold a Castle for a long time that was the Sarranids. As soon as I finally forced them to make peace with me, another kingdom immediately declared war on me.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Good thing is that signing peace also increases your right-to-rule so eventually they'll stop declaring war on you. Also you can send out companions to tell everyone how good a queen you'd be.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I just don't understand how you're supposed to leave your castle for the amount of time it takes to get more soldiers if the AI sends doomstack after doomstack after you and your troops aren't poo poo in auto-resolve.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CirclMastr posted:

That's some incredibly meta context to say that as the player, despite controlling the main character, I am myself a separate character in the game.

Just wait until it's my week to play as CirclMastr....

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I just don't understand how you're supposed to leave your castle for the amount of time it takes to get more soldiers if the AI sends doomstack after doomstack after you and your troops aren't poo poo in auto-resolve.

This is a dilemma I've in all my years of playing Warband never managed to resolve. Theoretically it feels like you'd need a town (giving you tavern-access for reinforcements) but even then it takes ages to develop a full garrison. The computer meanwhile just gets garrison's for free when they get a fief. :mad:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
You're supposed to build your right to rule before you take a castle. Then you only have to defend against the first set of doomstacks until you get peace :ssh:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Another week, another save file! Savefile for 2/5/2017 - grimlock_master

and here's Juana's stats!

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 2, 2017

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You're supposed to build your right to rule before you take a castle.
Which itself is a chore of a task.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Warband Week - Episode 14

Knowing my legacy is tainted, all I can do is prepare as best I can to make the handoff. Though technically I did capture 2 castles, which is 2 more castles than anyone else. :colbert:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Don't worry, I'm sure Lady Jojo will capture and lose every castle on the map eventually.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Croccers posted:

Which itself is a chore of a task.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Warband: a chore of a task

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
So, uh, my turn was certainly something...

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Spoiled by a week of updates now I'm needing a fix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Hello everyone, noobie here. I WAS supposed to have three updates done this week, but the LP gods have not looked favorably upon me, and decided to fry my hard drive mid-rendering of the first one. Which robbed me of all my raw files. Fortunately(?) nothing of interest really happened, so have some artistic renditions of the events of my turn!

Ok, so last we left off, Joanne was faffing around in the desert.

Looking at the state of our troops and finding a hodge podge mix of soldiers from all nations, we embarked on a quest

A quest for MAMLUKES

Unfortunately, for that we need to train up peasants

So we ran around the desert, buying hiring peasants and training them up against bandits

On the way, we encountered a few friends, namely Borcha and Lezalit!

But they were kind of douchebags to our friends, so we kicked them out

We eventually moved on from the desert, to the neighboring country of Rhodok, which is basically mountains and forests and bandits

We came here for another quest. A quest for SHARPSHOOTERS.

I'll spare Joanne the disappointment and jump straight to our GLORIOUS ARMY

Which we used to beat up on bandits (battle not pictured)

We partook in a tournament, in which we unfortunately got severly beat up

But then we went after two swadian nobles, which were sporting a bunch of peasants

It was a bloodbath

To celebrate, we got some sweet threads

And thus ended the tale of Joanne Juana de Arco, to be followed by our friend Blind Sally

grimlock_master fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 9, 2017

• Locked thread