Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krisslanza
May 6, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Heck yeah I'll sign up for this, Warband is a game that's I've sunk well over a hundred hours into over the years, greatly relaxing game.

Only over a hundred? I have over 600! :colbert:
Interesting idea though. I miiight give this a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Faerie Fortune posted:

I'll be honest, I didn't think I'd get more than a couple of signups :v: I'll work on a spreadsheet later this afternoon to make things a little easier though

You seem to not realize that Mount & Blade is probably one of the best games around.
This thread alone is making me wanna go boot it up again and play some campaigns.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
Oh right, I guess I should say I'll take a turn.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Faerie Fortune posted:

OP has been updated with Joanne Lady Baja's current stats and the current savefile!

Meanwhile I started a new game with the Floris modpack thanks to this thread, with the intent of taking over the world with an army made of nothing but female soldiers. My army is small but it is death incarnate.

I try that a lot myself. It's a shame Sword Sisters and such, count as mercenaries. It adds up in cost...

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

yes. you know how Chitlin beat his way through most of the tourney? I usually die in round 1

To be fair, not all tournaments are created equal.
If I end up in lands that do like, throwing weapons or throwing weapons on horseback, I'm pretty boned. I tend to try and lurk around Swadia or Nords, maybe even Rhodoks, because they don't have silly layouts. Although Swadia sometimes gets the fun of being an infantryman, against a man with a lance...

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pretty sure if you press x with javelins on horseback it turns them into a lovely lance and you can do couched lance damage instead. :getin:

I usually forget about that... I really don't like thrown weapons. Although then the issue becomes, all the AI using throwing weapons. And those tournaments don't (usually) have any shields, so you turn into a javelin-cushion.

Faerie Fortune posted:

This is true! Most thrown weapons can be used as melee weapons, its actually kinda rad

Reminds me there's that Brytnwalda mod, and you can get the Gae Bolg. Which is a thrown pike...

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Poil posted:

How the hell does a party of nine people on foot and one on horseback travel any faster than ten people on foot? I hate the map speed system in this game.

The speed mechanics are weird. Your troop composition matters, but so does the contents of your inventory. Having extra horses in your inventory will also speed you up to, a certain extent.
And then of course, the Pathfinding skill.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Poil posted:

The pathfinding skill makes sense though, as does having horses to carry your loot and grapes. But I remember reading that having lots of horses in your inventory actually slows you down.

There's a breakeven point, as the developer put it, if you have too many horses its too hard to keep them all controlled or something? Basically eventually you just have horses not doing anything other then faffing about. There's a sweetspot.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

They aren't all awful. and once you get in on some Tourneys and wars, their greetings change.

If I remember right, each Lord has their own personality, and their own views on women. Some Lords will pretty much always treat you like trash, because some of them are just complete jerks. Others will certainly start to respect you as your Renown grows though.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Materant posted:

Mostly, the Nords don't give a gently caress what gender you are as long as you can jam an axe into a dude's skull and drink till midnight.

Depending on your luck, more of the drinking till midnight with how much Ragnar likes to feast sometimes.
Even as everything burns around him.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

double nine posted:

Oh man that's rough. That's ... not healthy.

but it makes for a funny stream at least

And in the end, isn't that what really matters for a stream?

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Poil posted:

I have no life so I'm going to prove you wrong by watching every single video to the end. Take that!

Why are you kicking out so many companions? They cost almost nothing, can't die, provide party skills and they're customizable to be more powerful than normal units. :psyduck:

Technically, they can start costing a pretty penny once they level up. Particularly if you give them a horse, as that magically gives them that like, extra 33% pay increase. But I think they don't start being expensive upkeep until they're in like 30 or 40's...

CirclMastr posted:

Because I'm a jerk. (Actual reason: I hate trying to figure out who doesn't hate each other so I just roll with a few until I need them for fiefs.)

I'm not gonna lie, one of my favorite early mods was to basically tell them, "WE HANG DESERTERS IN THIS TROOP", so they stop trying to leave because they dislike someone. Whiny little punks.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Poil posted:

So if you remove the horse just before the clock ticks to payday...

You could certainly do that. I'm entirely too lazy to bother with that when I play though, because I'm lazy :v:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Yapping Eevee posted:

Well, I just got done watching those six videos back to back. It was a rough start, but I'm impressed by how well things went in the last couple.

I would guess that 'Charge' is how much damage the horse does when it runs someone over.

Which, to be honest, is a lot less then a lance sticking you in the gut.
So I'd much rather get run over by the horse...

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Section Z posted:

I need to catch up on more of the Circlemaster vidoes, I'm still early on where everything is Dan's fault and the arena RNG is screwing him over :v:

Meanwhile, I'm still flailing about like an idiot with a very tiny party making zero progress (I found the bandit lair!... Oh the lord got kidnapped so I can't get paid... Oh he's been freed!.. but nobody knows where he is...), but a hell of a lot of the learning curve seems to be learning the really loving stupid details of the game. "Allright, a Poleaxe! That will make not barely wiffing swings from horseback a hell of a lot easier than my love of one handed stuff." Oh wait all polearms only thrust from horseback because gently caress you I guess :sigh:

M&B is just like that, yeah. Don't feel bad about it. It's, in some ways, pretty forgiving too.
Admittedly that scales off as you get later in the game sometimes. Not as bad as some mods that introduce level scaling though, those ones really will screw you in the late game if you lose your army or something.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Siege combat in M&B is ridiculous due to how much some castles skews it in favour of the defender.

To be fair, that is the entirely point of a castle :haw:
Although some castle layouts are really, really bad for the attacker which is... I mean, the point. But on the other hand, unlike a real siege, you can't actually siege out your opponent sometimes. Even if they have no food, they'll still refuse to surrender.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Poil posted:

Doesn't enemy party sizes scale to level? Bandit groups and so on gets larger as you level up.

I don't think they do in the vanilla game. They do in Floris, and a number of mods. I know this as fact, as I found by messing with cheats, that if you ever reach level 64... your EXP overflows, and you become like... I forget. Tens of thousands of levels.
And then I saw in Floris as enemy lords had armies of tens of thousands and counting... oops.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Rest assured, this is going to be one of my goals. The Rhodoks are best poised to be our best friends, and so we will become their best friends. Furthermore, establishing a strong officer corps will be needed for when we become landed, we need to spec some of our people intensely into leading large stacks of troops to support Joan's conquest. Alongside our great economic basis (thanks whoever bought all that stuff, it is the crutch that this campaign is hobbling around) we can easily afford all the troops we could ever want so it's entirely a matter of time for us to conquer the world.

I'm sure someone next in line will mess it all up, don't worry! :v:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

That would be CirclMastr, who devoted a good 70-80% of their run to ensuring Joanne could have profitable businesses everywhere. This included a peace bribe or two in order to start some of them out.

Many tournaments were had.

Seriously, it looks like tournaments are a great way to build up initial cash reserves before running around and founding businesses in the vanilla game.

Tournaments have always been one of the best ways.
As long as it isn't one of them with a stupid weaponset to give you anyway :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

To be fair, the "order your men to attack without you" button is a trap and a bad button and the game never tells you this.

It takes 18 Swadian Knights to kill 3 Peasants, obviously.

• Locked thread