Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There's a lot of those! Turns out this King guy writes a lot! And this year we'll get two of them, with two movies based on IT and The Dark Tower.What are your favorite movies based on Stephen King books, BBV? If I'd make a top 3 it would be

1- Maximum Overdrive This one is simply the best! King directs it himself and makes a completely ludicrous movie about electrical appliances and a bunch of cars led by a truck with a Goblin Face terrorizing people. It also has an epic AC/DC soundtrack and this scene

2-The Lawnmower Man It has loving nothing to do with the loving short story! But it's an incredible movie about a retarded man called Jobe who gains superpower by fusing with the internet. It also has Pierce Brosnan before he filmed the classic movie Goldeneye.

3- The Mangler Freddy Krueger owns a laundry service and the laundry press is haunted! It somehow maliciously kills several people despite being an immobile 3--ton goddamn laundry press! This movie has Englund going completely loving nuts and chewing scenery and it's a must-see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I like The Shining the best

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Was The Dead Zone by Stevey King? I liked that one

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I like The Shining the best

Mods?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The Langoliers was cool. All those characters going around the airport while evil Meatwads devour the lifeless reality around them

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The Langoliers was cool. All those characters going around the airport while evil Meatwads devour the lifeless reality around them

This is my favorite

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
The Dark Tower is going to be my favorite, I know it :smuggo:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dreamcatcher wasn't a particularity good movie but it was so ludicrous it owned

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Even as a kid I remember thinking the special effects for The Langoliers were bad so they must have been pretty bad.

cap-n-crunch
Dec 29, 2008

A garden of modest ambition.
Me and my sister used to watch Cats Eye all the time on VHS.
It's the best Stephen King movie that nobody has ever seem to have watched. :shrug:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Misery is pretty good, yeah

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
My top votes are The Mist and Shawshank Redemption.

Runner up prize goes to Storm of the Century, and I don't know why because it's a fairly dull tv movie. Nostalgia I suppose. It also doesn't qualify because it's the one story that King wrote for TV without coming from a book.

Edit: I forgot all about the Creepshows, and Running Man.

NarkyBark fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 6, 2017

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

NarkyBark posted:

Runner up prize goes to Storm of the Century, and I don't know why because it's a fairly dull tv movie. Nostalgia I suppose. It also doesn't qualify because it's the one story that King wrote for TV without coming from a book.

Running Man is like Lawnmower Man. If no-one beats me to it, I'll direct Running Man properly one day.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Carrie and The Shining are the best and I guess those were the first two ever made. The Dead Zone and Christine are also great and underrated. All four were directed by genius auteur filmmakers so that might have something to do with it.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w
Cujo

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Misery is pretty good, yeah

Nothing like watching a writer make the mistake of trusting one of his psychotic fans.

Yobgoblin fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 8, 2017

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Misery rules.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

the dark tower books are extremely bad which means the movie probably will be also

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tim Burns Effect posted:

the dark tower books are extremely bad which means the movie probably will be also

I enjoyed how his later ones feel like some kind of parody of the typical king novel

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Rose Red wasn't very good. Thinner was average at best. I'm going to go with The Green Mile.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lawnmower Man is so insane

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Lawnmower Man is so insane

the videogame version is psychotic too

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Movie was great until the Langoliers were revealed. Then it got awesome :D

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

general anime posted:

Movie was great until the Langoliers were revealed. Then it got awesome :D

I agree

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I can't believe Hollywood studios keep trying to make their own cinematic universes happen but none of them have realized that they've already established a massive massive shared cinematic multiverse with all their Stephen King movies

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Actually, idiot, the opposite is true

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Why's Dr Doom on a horse wielding a lightsabre and a rock?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

That's an image of one of the Wolves of the Calla from the Dark Tower series. They look like Dr Doom and throw Harry Potter-style sneetches at people. These sneetches have a lot in common with that Phantasm ball than wizardy stuff.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Do sneetches get steetches?

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax
Has anyone ever read IT? always heard there was an orgy lol

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

general anime posted:

Has anyone ever read IT? always heard there was an orgy lol

I read it. To be specific, the kids find themselves in a situation that they think they won't survive so the girl decides that the best way to comfort the boys is to let them run a train on her. I fully expect to see this in the new movie.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The fat kid gives her an orgasm, IIRC.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I haven't seen / read all that many of either, but are there any Steven King movies that aren't better / at least as good as the book?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vagabundo posted:

Why's Dr Doom on a horse wielding a lightsabre and a rock?

A.brain damaged multiversal spectre designed them by gathering the most ridiculous shock weapons from across the planes

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

A.brain damaged multiversal spectre designed them by gathering the most ridiculous shock weapons from across the planes

Lol

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Rose Red. I'm a sucker for haunted house movies. One of the many problems with Rose Red is that it's like a bazillion hours long, but to me that works in its favour because I can't get enough of haunted houses.

Come to think of it, Rose Red was ahead of its time. It's pretty much identical to American Horror Story season 1.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 27, 2017

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Cujo was good but loving exhausting - I mean there isn't a single moment where something horrible isnt happening.

Dead Zone with Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen was really good

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Keith Atherton posted:

Cujo was good but loving exhausting - I mean there isn't a single moment where something horrible isnt happening.

Dead Zone with Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen was really good

My parents wouldn't let me watch Dead Zone because it was a 'horror movie' so I watched it when they were asleep thinking it'd be scary. Didn't scare me, of course, but at the end I thought that was a loving Good movie.

Didn't realise it was by Cronenberg. Says it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

NarkyBark posted:

Did you watch the black and poo poo version of the mist

• Locked thread