Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Oh no, cliffhanger! :ohdear: C'mon, Clint, would it have killed you to bring our watering can to the dance for us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Thanks for the names guys, I was starting to think this LP was already dying like my unwatered crops. I plan to do the next episode Wednesday-ish.

Animal names we have so far:

Chickens:
Kentucky
Fried
Nugget

Cows:
Painted Horse
Dickie
Splat

Ducks:
Captain
Hungry Sobbing

Sheep:
Cotton
Wool

Pigs:
Napoleon
Snowball

Rabbits:
Crunch

Horse:
Trombe
Vauxhall

EDIT: The chickens will be coming first, so the next poll will be for them if anyone's got more suggestions.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

By the way, how are the controls of this game? Is everything done by mouse or is there some other way to do stuff?

WASD to move, click to use tools, number keys or mouse wheel to switch tools. It's all rebindable so you can probably play it all with the keyboard if that's your jam. It can also be played with a gamepad which probably works fine because it's out on the consoles, too.

CptWedgie posted:

Anyway, I paused to look at the dance itself more closely, and I couldn't find Shane on the sidelines so I think he might be Emily's partner; it could be Sebastian, though- I don't think I could tell those two apart very well in those outfits. Shane's definitely in the dance, I can tell that much.

Yeah both of those guys are romanceable so it's probably one of them. Clint was just standing on the sidelines next to me like a chump.

Cloud Potato posted:

Oh no, cliffhanger! :ohdear: C'mon, Clint, would it have killed you to bring our watering can to the dance for us?

Yeah, Clint's was closed because of the dance, which I didn't know would happen. I also noticed in editing that (I think) I planted a few potatoes too late anyway. I honestly don't know if the crops will die or just get stunted. I hope I didn't kill too much cauliflower. Either way, I think we have enough dough to get started in summer, it would just be nicer to have more cash to plant a bunch of seasonal crops right at the beginning.

Pursus fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 8, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Harsh. They rejected us :(

I also bought Stardew Valley.

By the way, is sword the only type of weapon you can use?

Also, is the Joja membership always available to you? Even if you're helping the community center would that PR Morris guy still sell it?

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Harsh. They rejected us :(

I also bought Stardew Valley.

By the way, is sword the only type of weapon you can use?

Also, is the Joja membership always available to you? Even if you're helping the community center would that PR Morris guy still sell it?

Nice!

No, you can get daggers and clubs and I forget what else, also a slingshot which is basically impossible to use.

Yeah, we can still get a Joja membership but then Joja will bulldoze the community center. After we complete the center, the Joja choice will go away.

I was planning to bang out an episode yesterday, but I got too busy. I'll record the next one either late tonight or early tomorrow. We still only have 3 chicken names so if anyone wants to get in on that go ahead and :justpost:.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

How about Sunny.

For the chickens.

Exactly how many chickens are you getting?

I vastly prefer crops.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Henrietta is a good name for a chicken.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Episode 7 is a go:

Stardew Valley #07 - Geodes, Gunthers, and Summer!

Now we're up to 5 chicken names and I think the coop is going to be coming up soon, so it's pretty much the last chance to get a name on the pollo poll.

To start, the coop will hold 4 chickens so that's how many we'll have. Later on we can get some more if we upgrade the coop.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I vote for Apple trees as the first trees we get. Apples and more apples. And apple pies.

Will we get to see everyone's events before voting for who to go for?

Shifting through garbage sounds really disgusting but even worse is how these people are throwing away food that can still be eaten. How wasteful.

I told Linus that he wasn't wrong though.

I can't get over how we can find a piece of bread in a garbage can, then treat it like it's normal bread. Video game logic? -.-

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I see you have a standard field size, now build one more down of that size and then mirror that to the left and fill it all up with corn. We will grow corn at a loss but make up for it with gubberment subsidies.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I vote for Apple trees as the first trees we get. Apples and more apples. And apple pies.

Will we get to see everyone's events before voting for who to go for?

Shifting through garbage sounds really disgusting but even worse is how these people are throwing away food that can still be eaten. How wasteful.

I told Linus that he wasn't wrong though.

I can't get over how we can find a piece of bread in a garbage can, then treat it like it's normal bread. Video game logic? -.-

If I can save up enough money in the early summer we might be able to get an apple tree early enough for it to matter in the fall. Trees take a whole season to mature and only bear fruit in one season.

Yeah, I plan to start to get my gift machine started soon-ish; I'm trying to get a bit more stable profit, hopefully some more tool upgrades and the last backpack before I commit to the gifts because the hearts will decay if I stop talking to them regularly before they get maxxed out. I'll put up a poll for romance with all of the options after we see at least most of the cutscenes.

Yeah, imagine how bad that catfish smelled...

wargames posted:

I see you have a standard field size, now build one more down of that size and then mirror that to the left and fill it all up with corn. We will grow corn at a loss but make up for it with gubberment subsidies.
If only we had a piece of farm equipment that could refine it into high fructose corn syrup.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Pursus posted:

If only we had a piece of farm equipment that could refine it into high fructose corn syrup.

There should be a mod for that. Could also pickle the corn.

wargames fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 12, 2017

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Episode 8 is here:

Stardew Valley #08 - Tappers, Mushrooms, Picklers, and Coop Plans

We got quite a lot done in this one, and the coop is going to be coming in the next video. Last chance to get those chicken names in. As I said, we have 5 now so if we don't get too many more I'll just end up using all of them because we'll probably end up with like 8 chickens total. If we get more suggestions I'll pop up a poll to see which ones get used.

After that it's cows!

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Go find my lucky purple shorts! Why. Find your own clothes yourself.

Also, I hate fishing. I really hate it. I HATE fishing.

I hate it in every harvest moon game, where it is boring and puts me to sleep, I hate it in Story of Seasons where it was exceptionally boring and tedious and you caught trash which was incredibly rage inducing.

It's much better in Story of Seasons Trio of Towns and Rune Factory 4, but it's still boring.

And now in Stardew Valley. Fishing sucks. It's not boring and it doesn't put me to sleep, but I can't get a hang of the controls and I suck at fishing which makes me hate it even more.

How do you easily catch fish? How do you have your green bar hover? Do you have any tips for easy fishing? Is there a spot where only low level fish that are also easy to catch are found?

Can I raise my fishing level, even if I don't manage to catch the fish?

I don't know what to dooooo... :negative:

Also, yay coop. And yay tool upgrades.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!

Blademaster_Aio posted:

How do you easily catch fish? How do you have your green bar hover? Do you have any tips for easy fishing? Is there a spot where only low level fish that are also easy to catch are found?

Can I raise my fishing level, even if I don't manage to catch the fish?

It's all one button to catch, hook, and reel so you might be able to rebind it to spacebar or something if you're having trouble using LMB. Hooking the fish is just in the timing, I usually listen for the noise as my indicator to click. The reeling is the pain. You can make the green bar hover better by using multiple short clicks instead of holding the button down. If you're trying to avoid bouncing off the bottom, you can click right before it hits the bottom to slow it down to minimize the bounce. And of course, better poles allow you to use bait and tackle. The bait just makes fish hit quicker, but there's a lot of good tackle that affects things like how quickly the fish escape. As far as easy fish, I think the shallower you cast the easier the fish so don't max out the cast meter in the beginning.

It does get much easier when you level it up a bit. You can catch trash in this game, but you don't have to reel it in. You just need to hook it so according to the wiki you can actually level it up a bit from hooking trash over and over (save your trash in a chest until you get a recycling machine). The ponds on the farm only have trash in them so that's where you want to go for that. Also, you get fishing skill from harvesting crab pots which does not involve the minigame (I'm going to put a few crab pots down next episode I think) but you have to get to fishing 3 in order to craft/buy them. So, without reeling anything in, just catch trash until level 3 and then crab pots from there until you level it up to where you find it easy enough get actual fish for your bundles. Definitely hit the wiki to find out where and when to catch the specific fish you need for the bundles otherwise you'll pull your hair out fishing in the right place but wrong season, etc.

The first time I fished was 26:30 in episode 1 and I think the last time I fished in the series was ~13 minutes in on episode 6 (I was either fishing level 3 or 4 there). So that'll give you an idea about how much easier a few levels in fishing makes things.

Also, if you completely want to avoid the whole process, check the travelling cart vendor in the woods south of your farm. Her stock is random every time and expensive, but you can get all the fish you need from her over time.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Okay, thanks.

I'll try that.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

What do you think think about having fields be 6 deep instead of 3 deep you can water from both sides and have less wasted walking spaces.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Is there a spot where only low level fish that are also easy to catch are found?

YMMV, but I found that fishing near the mine entrance had a few carp that didn't need the bar moving at all, and managed to pick up the knack of fishing that way.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Cloud Potato posted:

YMMV, but I found that fishing near the mine entrance had a few carp that didn't need the bar moving at all, and managed to pick up the knack of fishing that way.

Thanks, I'll try there.

Captain Aardvark
Dec 28, 2008

We need someone to fight for all that is right and proper and good and leather and full of money and belonging to that teenager who doesn't look like he can handle himself.

One of our chickens can do that, namely Sir Digby "Chicken" Caesar. Or just Digby Caesar if you don't want to be too posh.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I'd like to suggest Eggsly and Cluckington as chicken names. Bacon as a pig name if we can even get pigs.

Also I kinda like Elliot. Will the game let you romance dudes as a dude? Probably not.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!

Captain Aardvark posted:

We need someone to fight for all that is right and proper and good and leather and full of money and belonging to that teenager who doesn't look like he can handle himself.

One of our chickens can do that, namely Sir Digby "Chicken" Caesar. Or just Digby Caesar if you don't want to be too posh.
We don't get too many characters, but Digby Caeser might fit.

Astrofig posted:

I'd like to suggest Eggsly and Cluckington as chicken names. Bacon as a pig name if we can even get pigs.

Also I kinda like Elliot. Will the game let you romance dudes as a dude? Probably not.

We can, and we can!

Pursus fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 20, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Pursus posted:

We don't get too many characters, but Digby Caeser might fit.

Hey, those are a lot of characters. In Story of Seasons and Rune Factory the limit is 6 spaces.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!

wargames posted:

What do you think think about having fields be 6 deep instead of 3 deep you can water from both sides and have less wasted walking spaces.

Missed this one. Six deep would work, but it's not like we need the space at this point. Also if I wanted to be super efficient I should be watering the 3x3 above and below me before I walk, but I just end up forgetting, especially when I'm talking and playing.

Anyway....

It's time for the pollo poll! What should we name our chickens? I checked off "allow multiple answers" so you can just check off all your favorites. We might end up using all of the names anyway but I guess the most popular ones can come first.

Pursus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 21, 2017

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Episode 9 is clucking ready:

Stardew Valley #09 - Luau, Chickens, and More Bundles

This one ran a little long, I must have forgotten to start my timer for one of the sections, but hey, that's just more value! We've already got some cow names and that's going to be the next animal we get although I'll probably wait until fall for the barn cause I want to square away some other stuff and make sure we have lots of money for fall crops. So, if you've got cow suggestions, now's the time!

What should we name our chickens? is still open, but we'll probably end up using them all anyway at this point so it is what it is.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

I do love the volume of blueberries we will get because volume is the name of the game when you are abusing government subsidies. Does stardew have soybeans?

wargames fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 25, 2017

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
YAY CHIKKIES! :neckbeard:

So if you put hops in the pickling thing, does beer come out?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

What is the best way to grow quality crops? Is it random?

Also, what are the fences for?

Animals just let themselves out, and put themselves in, how super convenient.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!

wargames posted:

I do love the volume of blueberries we will get because volume is the name of the game when you are abusing government subsidies. Does stardew have soybeans?

Wait until we mechanize. Unfortunately no soybeans.

Astrofig posted:

YAY CHIKKIES! :neckbeard:

So if you put hops in the pickling thing, does beer come out?

Not the pickler, but we'll definitely be getting there from here!

Blademaster_Aio posted:

What is the best way to grow quality crops? Is it random?

Also, what are the fences for?

Animals just let themselves out, and put themselves in, how super convenient.

It's random to an extent, but the higher your farming level the better the crops. The real answer is just to use fertilizer.

Fences are for blocking animals in, so if we wanted to keep one area just for animals full of grass we could do that and they wouldn't walk all over the farm. However, here on Awful Farm we're all about free range dairy products.

They only come out if the door is left open and they can come in even if it's closed. It's a handy way to make sure they are all in one place in the morning so we can gather eggs and milk and stuff easier.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Thank you for making Nugget a reality. You make sure to treat her right, now!

And on the subject of fruit trees, I bought a few on my file and planted them and they steadfastly refused to grow. I'm worried about how clear, exactly, the surrounding tiles need to be. Like, if the tile next to it has a little 2-pixel tuft of something that reappears when you turn the soil over.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!

Cloud Potato posted:

Thank you for making Nugget a reality. You make sure to treat her right, now!

And on the subject of fruit trees, I bought a few on my file and planted them and they steadfastly refused to grow. I'm worried about how clear, exactly, the surrounding tiles need to be. Like, if the tile next to it has a little 2-pixel tuft of something that reappears when you turn the soil over.

They take a whole season to grow, so you got to give them some time. Otherwise, you need to keep the 9 adjacent tiles clear ... no rocks, no grass, no crops, no paths, no other trees. Also, you can't overlap the clear spaces, so you have to put two spaces in between two fruit trees (unlike the maples and stuff). The leftover 2 pixel stuff won't hurt them, but you can hoe the land if you want to make sure.

Also, the game is on sale for 20% off on the Humble Store for the next few days (still activates and plays through Steam)

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Episode 10 is in the bag:

Stardew Valley #10 - Sprinkler, More Tools, and Building Relationships

We finally start to give out some gifts and win over some of the townspeople. I'm going to do a poll with all of the romance options in a while once we've seen most of the cutscenes. We've already got some cow and duck names and they are coming up next but probably not in the next video. So, if you've got cow/duck name suggestions, let's hear them!

What should we name our chickens? is still open, but we'll probably end up using them all anyway at this point.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Honestly, Chickens were a pretty steady form of income... right up until I got several hundred crystalariums filled with iridium quality diamonds... Then I sold all the chickens, and filled the coops up with more crystalariums.
But since they are a nice source of early to mid game dosh, let's call them names. LikeCuckoo, Coward, Courage, and perhaps Foghorn and Leghorn

As for the Horse, I have to say... I am surprised no one did the obvious and called for Epona. For shame...

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I propose naming our duck Swan.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Episode 11 has fallen:

Stardew Valley #11 - Moonlight Jellies and Fall Crops

I think it's about time we get some of the polls going for more animal names because we might get some more next video:

What should we name the ducks? There was only three duck suggestions so I added a few of the chicken names that came in late. We'll probably end up with two ducks, so I made it one vote only this time.

As of now, there's only three cow names: Painted Horse, Dickie, and Splat. Like chickens, we'll get a quite a few of them so I'll just use them all and probably make some up on my own unless I get some more suggestions.

We've still got time before we get there, but if you have any suggestions for pigs, goats, rabbits, sheep, or our horse go ahead and throw them in the thread and I'll make sure to add them to those polls when the time comes.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Names for cows:
Milkshake
Your Mom

As for ducks:
Quackers
Quack Macgee
Donald (Donald duck)
Scrooge McDuck
Attack Duck
Duck Duck Goose

Names for Rabbits:
The Knight Slayer
URRRRGGGGGG
Big Pointy Teeth

Names for Pigs:
Squeels
US Congress
Babe

Names for Sheeps:
US Citizen
Wolf food
Lamb Chop
Wool Factory

Names for Goats:
Andupor
Goat drugs
Girlfriend

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I second the horse being named Epona (unless it's a male, in which case I recommend Sham or The Black Stallion, whichever fits).

Also does that old guy on the beach seriously just stand there while it's raining?

Name suggestions:

Sheep: Goat , Yo-Yo Maaaaa, Sweater, Bahramewe, Jesus

Duck names: Daisy, Donald, Howard, Submarine, Waterchicken

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I second Milkshake for the cow, and Attack Duck for the duck. Also, Swan for the duck, because ugly duckling.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Episode 12 is showing promise:

Stardew Valley #12 - The Biggest Backpack, Linus' Basket, and the Mayor's Shorts

We get to see a few more cutscenes and finish a few more quests and bundles in this one. The farm's starting to generate some profits and it's only a matter of time before we're an unstoppable juggernaut of production!

The duck poll is still open, but unfortunately it got made before a few of the suggestions (sorry about that): What should we name the ducks? We can still use some cow names, and I think we'll get started on the barn for sure in the next video. We've still got time before we get there, but if you have any suggestions for pigs, goats, rabbits, sheep, or our horse go ahead and suggest those, too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Gotta suggest Hellcow and Bat-Cow, because comic books can have some ridiculous stuff.

Also Duck Dodgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Why don't you just put up another poll?

Then you can just replace the duck names because we can rename our animals, right?

Also, instead of discreetly returning the Mayor's shorts, which were on the floor of someone's bedroom for an entire season (clean your rooms, people!), we're going to do something else? There were so many things wrong with this request to begin with, but the biggest one is how the mayor just dumped this job on the new guy. I mean, he couldn't ask Marnie to discreetly return them? It's not strange for a villager to visit the town mayor, especially if they're a livestock dealer.

The community centre and fish bundles are coming along. Looks great. And the forage bundles too.

I'm just gonna buy the fishies from the shady black market travelling sales cart.

• Locked thread