Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

daslog posted:

Hi Goons,

My foundation has a leak around the cast iron sewer pipe that goes through the wall. I made a video for you. It only leaks in the springtime,and I have lots of nice new French drains put in 2 years ago. Looks like the previous homeowners tried and failed to patch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC07-CgluI8

It's about 3 feet deep, but I would prefer not to dig the outside up if I don't have to. I've pretty good at DIY around the house, and I do have a 80 gallon air compressor and a hand chisel attachment so I I need to chip out around it to do a repair I can manage it.

Those 2x4s around your basement perimeter were put there as spacers for exactly that reason you mentioned: so that any incoming leaks will get funneled to the sump pump, keeping the rest of the basement floor dry. So no, they weren't an idiot.

What does the grade look like on the other side of that wall?

Also, I wouldn't use power tools just yet, but definitely clean out that gap better. For now I'd just use a screwdriver and maybe a cold chisel with just your hand. Work all the loose pieces out and post a picture of the crack after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread