Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
There was an NYU grad student who died of vitamin deficiencies because they only ate Ramen noodles. They were in one of the biology/medical programs (immunology if memory serves).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
There was an NYU grad student who died of vitamin deficiencies because they only ate Ramen noodles. They were in one of the biology/medical programs (immunology if memory serves).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bogan King posted:

Every once in a while I see reports of a doctor / nurse who cut the cheese in surgery and everyone freaks out because they think a bowel has been perforated till someone owns up.

Pretty sure this was on Scrubs.

"Sir, I farted. That smell was from the fart that I made."

Rolo has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Apr 16, 2017

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Doubleposting is the most obnoxious poo poo.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
People blowing bubblegum loudly make me want to do horrible things to them. Sometimes it scares me how angry I actually get. If I can I try to put some distance between us.

If they pop bubbles in rapid succession I become convinced they do it just to spite me, even if I don't know the person. I had to stop going to certain classes in college because some rear end in a top hat would blow bubblegum.

Renoistic has a new favorite as of 12:39 on Apr 16, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Chewing gum = bad
Chewing gum audibly = worse
Cracking/popping gum = I would literally privilege the existence of a discarded plastic bag over yours in the classic "trolley problem"

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Renoistic posted:

People blowing bubblegum loudly make me want to do horrible things to them. Sometimes it scares me how angry I actually get. If I can I try to put some distance between us.

If they pop bubbles in rapid succession I become convinced they do it just to spite me, even if I don't know the person. I had to stop going to certain classes in college because some rear end in a top hat would blow bubblegum.

Some people can blow bubbles that sound like someone dropping a light bulb.

I've also seen some expert trolls that manage to get off two or three bubbles in a row. With a sound like someone squeezing bubble wrap.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Catberry posted:

I've also seen some expert trolls that manage to get off two or three bubbles in a row. With a sound like someone squeezing bubble wrap.

Yeah I've encountered some as well. There's should be a price on their heads. No joke.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Rolo posted:

Pretty sure this was on Scrubs.

"Sir, I farted. That smell was from the fart that I made."

I've heard that Scrubs is actually the most realistic medical show in terms of the interpersonal poo poo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I've heard that Scrubs is actually the most realistic medical show in terms of the interpersonal poo poo.

They also had a medical consultant who actually made sure that the medical jargon they used was accurate.

You would think all medical shows would have this person, but apparently not based on poo poo I've heard in House, Grey's Anatomy, and ER.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Jerry Cotton posted:

People who take forever to tell a story.

Inorite? It's like, jesus christ, just start with the third act already, i don't need context!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

WampaLord posted:

They also had a medical consultant who actually made sure that the medical jargon they used was accurate.

You would think all medical shows would have this person, but apparently not based on poo poo I've heard in House, Grey's Anatomy, and ER.

These make me happy because I love Scrubs.

My contribution? If you're in the hallway at a hotel, shut the gently caress up, no matter what time it is. There are going to be people on your floor that don't have the same sleep schedule as you, guaranteed.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Sunswipe posted:

I know cheeseless pizza is a thing, but I'm pretty sure any place I order from would gently caress it up, and even if they don't I'm still left eating an overpriced open sandwich. Seriously, gently caress pizza.

Other things Something Awful forums poster Sunswipe hates:

warm sunshine
a kitten's purr
smiling
human emotion
the joyous laughter of children

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CarpenterWalrus posted:

warm sunshine
a kitten's purr
smiling
human emotion

Doesn't most of SA?

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

CarpenterWalrus posted:

warm sunshine
a kitten's purr
smiling
human emotion

I also hate cheese but I will sit there picking as much cheese off of pizza as I can to eat it. How does anyone hate pizza?

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

bossy lady posted:

I also hate cheese but I will sit there picking as much cheese off of pizza as I can to eat it. How does anyone hate pizza?

How can you not like cheese? Cheese is the nectar of the gods. It goes with everything and makes everything better in every way possible.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cheese improves cheesecake

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CarpenterWalrus posted:

warm sunshine
a kitten's purr
smiling
human emotion

I'm not a big fan of sunshine. My white ancestory (parents are English and Scottish, with Nordic roots) has given me skin that is one of two colours: pasty white or flaming red. There is no in between.

Catberry posted:

How can you not like cheese? Cheese is the nectar of the gods. It goes with everything and makes everything better in every way possible.
It smells like feet. A good food should not smell like an unwashed body part.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Sunswipe posted:

It smells like feet. A good food should not smell like an unwashed body part.

So does shellfish and pickled herring and those are both awesome.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Without cheese there would be no Brie-oncé

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

Mine was some kid who blew his year's budget in freshers week then decided the most cost effective way to live was on porridge. Idiot should have chosen dog food instead.

The dude in our dorm, Wolffucker Wyatt, got scurvy because he only ate plain white rice with those little ramen packets.

Also be wanted to gently caress wolves and never bathed. Dude was weird.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How anyone could not like cheese is beyond me. It might be the best thing humans have ever created.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Catberry posted:

I didnt eat it growing up and never developed a taste for it. Eating it now, it tastes funny and the texture feels strange.

Small amonts of it are fine but good luck finding small amounts of cheese on anything in the US.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Topical obnoxious thing:

People that are like 'you don't like [food]? You just haven't had this kind of [food]!'

Bitch I don't like bacon, get off me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My first ever double post in 11 years.

Appropriate thread, nontheless.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bossy lady posted:

good luck finding small amounts of cheese on anything in the US.

True dat

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

veni veni veni posted:

How anyone could not like cheese is beyond me. It might be the best thing humans have ever created.

You misspelled "Chocolate and booze".

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Rolo posted:

:stonk:

You're not making this easy for me. I wish you would have gone with "egg plant" or "radish" Rather than another example of the nectar of the gods (The gods are fat, go figure)

Rolo posted:

Topical obnoxious thing:

People that are like 'you don't like [food]? You just haven't had this kind of [food]!'

When I was a kid I didn't like onions. Because the flavor is very strong and onion has the texture of raw apple and that bothers me a lot when eating foods that's supposed to have a different texture. Crunchiness where crunchiness has no business being.

My mother had sole custody of me and I sometimes spent weekends with my father. I told mom that I didn't like onions so the food she gave me had no onion.

Well my father wouldn't have any of that. He maintained that no one could really dislike onion and onion was in everything anyway. That it was just a flavor enhancer and you didn't really eat the onion itself. So he started sneaking onion into my food to prove me wrong.

Yeah he was a good sneaker and when I wasn't looking for onion I sometimes didn't find it. So he then quizzed me on which food had and didn't have onion. I failed the quiz and that proved him right, that no one could really dislike onion, and the food he made would now contain onion where he deemed it appropriate. Sometimes I wouldn't taste it. Sometimes I fished out little onion pieces to put on the side of my plate which angered him to no end.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Apr 17, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rolo posted:

On that note, people who go around thinking bacon is so great. It... really, really isn't. I mean, it works well as a part of something, like a good sugo. But on its own, like in a sandwich or part of breakfast it is at best milquetoast. Stringy, tough and worst of all, way too salty (although that's why it is good in sugos, helps the stock).

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Samovar posted:

On that note, people who go around thinking bacon is so great. It... really, really isn't. I mean, it works well as a part of something, like a good sugo. But on its own, like in a sandwich or part of breakfast it is at best milquetoast. Stringy, tough and worst of all, way too salty (although that's why it is good in sugos, helps the stock).

My obnoxious thing is people who complicate normal food so much to seem cool to random people. These fuckers don't eat a normal sandwich with ham or tuna or something, no they need bulgogi or some poo poo so they can sound dignified to who the gently caress knows exactly

Sugo??? gently caress you

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Samovar posted:

Springing off this, I wish people would stop acting like eating bacon = instant heart attack.

Bacon is like 80 calories for 2 strips. Even if you go all :goonsay: and eat like 6 strips with breakfast, that's only 240 calories. Stop acting like bacon is a death food, it's fine, it's just normal meat.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Coworkers at the office who cook things in the microwave, then stop it early, take their stuff out, and leave the microwave with like... 10 or 15 seconds left on the timer. They just leave the microwave like that. If the next person to use it doesn't look at the display, and tries to start entering their time, nothing will work. YOu have to hit stop/clear to reset the timer before you can start over. And people do this all the time. Like, more than half the time I go to use the microwave it has time left over.

Why can't you just put in how much time you want instead of always putting in more time and taking it out early? Why can't you stop and clear it when you're done? Why does this bother me so much?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

ArtIsResistance posted:

My obnoxious thing is people who complicate normal food so much to seem cool to random people. These fuckers don't eat a normal sandwich with ham or tuna or something, no they need bulgogi or some poo poo so they can sound dignified to who the gently caress knows exactly

Sugo??? gently caress you

Yeah, people should just eat ""normal"" food, gently caress that immigrant foreigner bullshit

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The real names of food shouldn't be used unless they're caucasian enough. You can eat bulgogi but only if you call it 'k-beef'

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The real names of food shouldn't be used unless they're caucasian enough. You can eat bulgogi but only if you call it 'k-beef'

So, only Armenian dishes like khash or harissa or Georgian ones like khachapuri or chanakhi can be called by their real names?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
When a person calls your name from a different room, then when you answer "Yes?" they don't say anything. Even if you want me to come over there, would it kill you to just say "Come here"? gently caress.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Catberry posted:

:stonk:

You're not making this easy for me. I wish you would have gone with "egg plant" or "radish" Rather than another example of the nectar of the gods (The gods are fat, go figure)

When I was a kid I didn't like onions. Because the flavor is very strong and onion has the texture of raw apple and that bothers me a lot when eating foods that's supposed to have a different texture. Crunchiness where crunchiness has no business being.

My mother had sole custody of me and I sometimes spent weekends with my father. I told mom that I didn't like onions so the food she gave me had no onion.

Well my father wouldn't have any of that. He maintained that no one could really dislike onion and onion was in everything anyway. That it was just a flavor enhancer and you didn't really eat the onion itself. So he started sneaking onion into my food to prove me wrong.

Yeah he was a good sneaker and when I wasn't looking for onion I sometimes didn't find it. So he then quizzed me on which food had and didn't have onion. I failed the quiz and that proved him right, that no one could really dislike onion, and the food he made would now contain onion where he deemed it appropriate. Sometimes I wouldn't taste it. Sometimes I fished out little onion pieces to put on the side of my plate which angered him to no end.

It's a silly thing to do too cause children's palates actually are a lot more sensitive than those of an adults and foods taste a lot stronger to them. Adults just seem to assume children taste things the same as they do and it's not true at all, your sense of taste just gradually weakens over time. It's why my grandparents cover basically every single savory food with black pepper

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Yeah, people should just eat ""normal"" food, gently caress that immigrant foreigner bullshit

Obnoxious little thing #2 people who find racism in everything and will gently caress u up with mean posts

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

When it's pouring with rain outside, I'm sitting next to the window and somebody asks "ooh can you hear that rain?!"

Why yes. Yes I can.

Edit: also my girlfriend who complains that i don't cook enough for her but whenever i try to she without fail takes over after about 5 minutes of me starting because I'm not doing it right.

Frankston has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Two people have said "people who stop to use their phone in the middle of foot traffic"

For me it feels like whenever I have needed to stop to look up directions, times, etc, and move to the side, no matter how far out the side is or how out of the way, traffic will bend itself to walk directly into me.

• Locked thread