Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HaB posted:

This. The word you are looking for is voila. See also: "per say" and "for all intensive purposes".

Boner slap the queef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HaB posted:

This. The word you are looking for is voila. See also: "per say" and "for all intensive purposes".

It's an inside joke nigga

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aesop Poprock posted:

As opposed to a field joke nigga???

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Homestar Runner posted:

...yeah, but that's a bit generous because you're not counting the calories of what it's cooked in, or served with, and on top of that what calories there are in bacon are largely derived from fat. It's also really high in sodium.

I mean you can eat it but tbh if your goal is six-pack abs it's not exactly a great start imo

Sure, but it is not the uniquely unhealthy food that people treat it like.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Does anyone personally know - hell, let's expand it one degree further to know people who know people - who have ever been ticketed for being in the left lane? It only seems to come up as a justification for being an rear end in a top hat tailgater.

I'm a flow-of-traffic guy on the highway, but on regular roads, gently caress you I'm in whatever lane I need to be in because I'm going to be turning eventually. You can either get upset that I'm going a speed that won't get me pulled over*, get upset because in three minutes because you'll have to slow down because I'm making a turn, or slow down and go with the flow I'm going at.

* Especially on roads I know well, ones that the cops will bust you for going five over

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Or a professional street nigga like this guy:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Or a professional street nigga

God drat it, I knew I should have bought the updated edition of the Monster Manual

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MisterBibs posted:

Does anyone personally know - hell, let's expand it one degree further to know people who know people - who have ever been ticketed for being in the left lane? It only seems to come up as a justification for being an rear end in a top hat tailgater.

I'm a flow-of-traffic guy on the highway, but on regular roads, gently caress you I'm in whatever lane I need to be in because I'm going to be turning eventually. You can either get upset that I'm going a speed that won't get me pulled over*, get upset because in three minutes because you'll have to slow down because I'm making a turn, or slow down and go with the flow I'm going at.

* Especially on roads I know well, ones that the cops will bust you for going five over

Since it was brought in for the UK, it's happened but not nearly enough: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3792498/Just-135-fines-issued-middle-lane-hogging.html

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Aesop Poprock posted:

People who call jokes made with people they post with who wouldn't give a poo poo if you died inside jokes

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I don't know sports terms. Is field the baseball equivalent to portside

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ArtIsResistance posted:

People who call jokes made with people they post with who wouldn't give a poo poo if you died inside jokes

Weren't you permabanned or something

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Ironically enough cops don't seem to be in a big hurry to give tickets to drivers for insufficiently breaking the law.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pastry of the Year posted:

I have literally heard people defend intentionally chewing open-mouthed because of this bonkers magical thinking by which, and I'm paraphrasing, "air mixing with the food as you chew it enhances its flavor." That's absolutely not how that works, but you have to appreciate the sort of logic a mildly inventive and utterly selfish 5-year-old child might employ to avoid having to change their behavior for the sake of courtesy.

I know breathing in a bit of air when drinking red wine makes it more... Vapour-y and can make it more pleasant to consume, but I'd not do that with my mouth open.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

Chill.

Mine is people who stand way too close to you in line at the store. Standing close enough that I can feel your breath isn't gonna make the line faster, rear end in a top hat

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Frankston posted:

When it's pouring with rain outside, I'm sitting next to the window and somebody asks "ooh can you hear that rain?!"

Why yes. Yes I can.

I was just at the bank today and the guy was trying to make small talk with the teller, saying "the sun's startin' to come out!"

It has been sunny and warm all day and most of yesterday. We had a storm for a few hours of sun-mon early morning. I loving loathe people who talk about how great warm weather is when we just had spring instead of winter. You had your share, rear end in a top hat. Go live in the tropics if you love the sun so much.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I cannot loving stand when people feel the need to back into a parking spot as opposed to pulling in like a normal goddamn human. I have heard people say its to make it easier/safer to leave the spot, but I don't see how that's the case when backing into a tight space between 2 vehicles (as opposed to backing out into a goddamn wide-open lane) is in no way safer. It doesn't help that every mother fucker who backs into a parking space has the biggest gently caress off pick up truck or SUV and takes forever to actually back in.

Just pull in , then actually look when you back out!

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

enigmahfc posted:

I cannot loving stand when people feel the need to back into a parking spot as opposed to pulling in like a normal goddamn human. I have heard people say its to make it easier/safer to leave the spot, but I don't see how that's the case when backing into a tight space between 2 vehicles (as opposed to backing out into a goddamn wide-open lane) is in no way safer. It doesn't help that every mother fucker who backs into a parking space has the biggest gently caress off pick up truck or SUV and takes forever to actually back in.

I'm sorry to hear that you can't park.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Bogan King posted:

I'm sorry to hear that you can't park.

I can park.

Like a person.

By pulling in.

The way the parking spot was designed for.

So there.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

enigmahfc posted:

It's safer because when you're backing out you can run over people/hit other cars that are driving by. When you're pulling in the parking spot, you can only hit those other stationary vehicles next to you. And that's only if you don't know how to park.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

shut up blegum posted:

It's safer because when you're backing out you can run over people/hit other cars that are driving by. When you're pulling in the parking spot, you can only hit those other stationary vehicles next to you. And that's only if you don't know how to park.

I avoid hitting people and other cars while backing out of a parking spot by looking behind me, usually with the aid of mirrors included (free of charge) with my car. Also by sometimes turning my head. I also do not back out at the speed of light, which results in being able to use reaction times and caution.

That's just me though.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

enigmahfc posted:

I avoid hitting people and other cars while backing out of a parking spot by looking behind me, usually with the aid of mirrors included (free of charge) with my car. Also by sometimes turning my head. I also do not back out at the speed of light, which results in being able to use reaction times and caution.

That's just me though.

Agreed in full. The usual excuse is that it "saves time". This is said mechanically, because it's rote-thinking.

On that note, if you leave your headlights on in a parking lot and someone is right in front of you sitting in their car, you're a tremendous prick.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pastry of the Year posted:

I have literally heard people defend intentionally chewing open-mouthed because of this bonkers magical thinking by which, and I'm paraphrasing, "air mixing with the food as you chew it enhances its flavor." That's absolutely not how that works, but you have to appreciate the sort of logic a mildly inventive and utterly selfish 5-year-old child might employ to avoid having to change their behavior for the sake of courtesy.
In china they talk with their mouth full because the slight discomfort from seeing chewed food is outweighed by the overwhelming value of conversing with your friends. After putting a full 15 seconds of thought into this, I agree.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

if you can't find your way into a spot between two stationary lines put there for you to park in, guess what? you can't park.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really hate when people don't use their turn signals. Either not using them at all, or using them at the last second when they are in the middle of turning.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Or a professional street nigga like this guy:

The typesetting in this image qualifies for this thread imao.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

In china they talk with their mouth full because the slight discomfort from seeing chewed food is outweighed by the overwhelming value of conversing with your friends. After putting a full 15 seconds of thought into this, I agree.

It's definitely more of an auditory thing than a visual one. I guess Chinese naturally sounds pretty awful so it's not as much of an issue for them. It's also actually quite easy to carry on a conversation while eating a meal without talking with food in your mouth. Try it some time!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

People who make fun of me for not eating a "normal" breakfast meal.

I can eat whatever the gently caress I want whenever the gently caress I want.

The Moon Monster posted:

I guess Chinese naturally sounds pretty awful so it's not as much of an issue for them.

What the gently caress is this

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Picnic Princess posted:

People who make fun of me for not eating a "normal" breakfast meal.

I can eat whatever the gently caress I want whenever the gently caress I want.

I dig it. Sometimes I go traditional, but sometimes I just want a roast beef sandwich on ciabatta or some other good poo poo at 8am.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ArtIsResistance posted:

"Inside joke" just means it's a reference to something not widely known, it doesn't mean a joke between best friends.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Sociopastry posted:

Chill.

Mine is people who stand way too close to you in line at the store. Standing close enough that I can feel your breath isn't gonna make the line faster, rear end in a top hat

C hi ll now would you like to smoke blunts though you don't seem chill!!!!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

WE ARE BOTH WATCHING THIS MOVIE FOR THE FIRST TIME.
STOP ASKING ME QUESTIONS.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

enigmahfc posted:

That's just me though.

If you're parked between two trucks or whatever, you'd have to back out like half of your car before you can see what's happening next to you on the road. You can turn your head all yo want, unless you have x-ray vision, you can't see a thing.
If you parked in backwards, you can clearly see what's happening when you pull out.
But keep being enraged at people who know how to drive a car better than you I guess.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I hate people who have to back out 3/4 of their vehicle length when getting out of a spot to see that yes, there are cars coming and people walking and then just stop there unable to react and block the whole drat lane when they could have just nosed out a little bit to see people coming and waited till it was clear to get out of the spot.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Chill the gently caress out there's no hurry you have plenty of time to shovel your fast food in your face once you get home no matter how long you spend in the parking lot.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Inzombiac posted:

WE ARE BOTH WATCHING THIS MOVIE FOR THE FIRST TIME.
STOP ASKING ME QUESTIONS.

On this note, people who ask spoilery questions when I'm showing them a movie or show. Not a self-directed musing like "Oh no, is [x] going to die?" But straight-up, directed at me and expecting a response, "Does [x] die?" I am always really, really tempted to just flatly tell them the truth. Instead I have to vaguely answer and I feel like they're all the while gauging my capacity to lie.

Also the "I'm not watching it if [actor] dies in it." crowd. Either I lie to you to get you to watch a good film with an actor you like or I'm honest with you and spoil a good film with the actor you like. There are a ton of valid reasons not to watch a movie, but an actor's (WHOSE WORK YOU ENJOY) character dying is a dumb as hell one.

THIS ISN'T A MOVIE NIGHT, IT'S AN INQUISITION.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Das Boo posted:

On this note, people who ask spoilery questions when I'm showing them a movie or show. Not a self-directed musing like "Oh no, is [x] going to die?" But straight-up, directed at me and expecting a response, "Does [x] die?" I am always really, really tempted to just flatly tell them the truth. Instead I have to vaguely answer and I feel like they're all the while gauging my capacity to lie.
On the other hand, people who are ahead of me in a show we're both watching who get really cagey about it when they find out. I don't care about spoilers, just talk about it. Tell me what happens in later episodes, its fine.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I don't mind questions during a movie if the person genuinely doesn't understand whats going on but what I hate the most is

*staring at phone/texting for the past 20 minutes*

"wait who is that guy?"

"The main character"

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

C hi ll now would you like to smoke blunts though you don't seem chill!!!!

Chill.

Also people who don't read the instructions/tutorials for a game and then get frustrated that they don't know how to play. Like, dude, if you'd just take the minute to read the instructions you'd be having a lot more fun right now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sociopastry posted:

Chill.

Also people who don't read the instructions/tutorials for a game and then get frustrated that they don't know how to play. Like, dude, if you'd just take the minute to read the instructions you'd be having a lot more fun right now.

I hate when someone is just not letting the game teach them and then calls the game bad. Like when they're not paying attention when recording a blind LP and are just out to make fun of the game, fine, but don't start blaming the game if your making poor use of a mechanic that you intentionally skipped the tutorial for.

It makes the game look bad, even if it is somewhat fun when actually engaging with it on it's own terms. Let the game try to engage you, if it fails, then rail on it. But if you aren't going to pay attention to the game telling you mechanics that make it easier on you, or claiming that the plot is nonexistent when the audience can easily piece it together, then that's not playing fair.

That's why I enjoy Pork Lift and wateyad's work so much, they give the game a chance to engage them, then when it fails they make fun of why it failed. In Star Ocean 4, they know the mechanics, they use blindsides when appropriate and explore the areas for treasures, do some sidequests when they can be bothered - they are letting the game try to engage them. Most of the time it fails and they get (rightfully) annoyed by it, but sometimes some little thing, like a wonky animation, allows them to start enjoying themselves again. They let their games try and fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Sociopastry posted:

Chill.

Is this an inside joke

• Locked thread