Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That story took a sharp downward turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Aesop Poprock posted:

A girl I used to work with threw a bag of our Taco Bell trash out the window of her car one time like it was nothing and I was blown away and horrified by how casually she did it like it was the most normal thing in the world

She's dead from heroin now though so I guess that got worked out

You overreacted a little there, I think.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Sometimes I'll be walking down the sidewalk and I see someone ahead of me that's stopped, doing something or other, and they don't move until moving would put them directly in my way. What the gently caress is up with that?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh, I thought of one. This doesn't come up much anymore since I escaped retail.

The way people give out phone numbers. Like, if a phone number is say... 555-1819. I ask what their phone number is to lookup their account or whatever. They say "five five five eighteen nineteen." So I end up typing 555-8 and then have to delete and reask. Just say each individual number you rear end in a top hat!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Aesop Poprock posted:

A girl I used to work with threw a bag of our Taco Bell trash out the window of her car one time like it was nothing and I was blown away and horrified by how casually she did it like it was the most normal thing in the world

She's dead from heroin now though so I guess that got worked out

The thrill of littering is a gateway drug.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

The way people give out phone numbers. Like, if a phone number is say... 555-1819. I ask what their phone number is to lookup their account or whatever. They say "five five five eighteen nineteen." So I end up typing 555-8 and then have to delete and reask. Just say each individual number you rear end in a top hat!

I work with clients in my job and I hate when people feel the need to give an example word with every letter of their name, like "Marianne. M as in Michael A as in apple R as in etc etc" I speak the same drat language as you! You're only making it way more confusing for me by introducing totally unnecessary words! Sometimes I don't even remember what their name is by the end of it especially with last names

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's common on the phone, it's so that you don't get, say, D, B and P mixed up. Especially good for serial numbers - otherwise the conversation becomes: "Did you say 35B?" "No, D!" "B? P? Which letter?"

Detective No. 27 posted:

You'd probably enjoy this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVPZAXMCasI

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Aesop Poprock posted:

I work with clients in my job and I hate when people feel the need to give an example word with every letter of their name, like "Marianne. M as in Michael A as in apple R as in etc etc" I speak the same drat language as you! You're only making it way more confusing for me by introducing totally unnecessary words! Sometimes I don't even remember what their name is by the end of it especially with last names

When I worked at a call center, I had a customer start spelling their name (Mary) with "M as in empire" and it was kind of a mindfuck.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
M as in Mancy?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Joey Freshwater posted:

M as in Mancy?

Store managers/(probably corporate) not staffing enough cashiers, especially if it's a store where at least 50% use food stamps, mostly the ones in paper format, which takes so. Long. I'm absolutely not mad at the customer, I instead hate management/corporate.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

they made us do this at the call center I used to work at. part of the joy was figuring out words that weren't common to use.

M as in mastodon, N as in Nimrod, P as in possession...

it's all I had okay

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Only problem with that is not using the NATO phonetic alphabet. Mike Alpha Romeo India Alpha November November Echo.

Sociopastry posted:

they made us do this at the call center I used to work at. part of the joy was figuring out words that weren't common to use.

:argh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When boomers act like the most boring poo poo is some crazy trend sweeping the nation. "Cold brew Coffee?! All these kids and their cold brew coffee these days I don't even know what it's supposed to be?! What makes this stuff so great?"

I bought it because I forgot to make coffee and it had a dollar off coupon on it. It's coffee made like iced tea. get off my rear end.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sociopastry posted:

it's all I had okay

Amateur hour.

P as in pneumonia, X as in Xi (Zy, or 'shee' if you're feeling nasty), Q as in Qi (has a 'ch' sound to it), K as in Knurl, D as in Djinn.
I also like the ones that make other letters (A as in Are, S as in See, E as in Eye, W as in Why, Y as in You)

Che Delilas has a new favorite as of 09:20 on Aug 23, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

veni veni veni posted:

When boomers act like the most boring poo poo is some crazy trend sweeping the nation. "Cold brew Coffee?! All these kids and their cold brew coffee these days I don't even know what it's supposed to be?! What makes this stuff so great?"

I bought it because I forgot to make coffee and it had a dollar off coupon on it. It's coffee made like iced tea. get off my rear end.

I remember when I got my first coffee bean grinder and my dad made fun of me about it every time he came over for months. "Look at mister fancy here, too good for folgers now are you?" etc and would refuse to drink it.

I think it's just a being afraid of change thing where they don't want to have to do it the "new" way. Eventually I got him to try a cup and he reluctantly admitted it was "OK" and now has one of his own.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Joey Freshwater posted:

M as in Mancy?

You of all people should get that, Ray.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

veni veni veni posted:

Is iced coffee really not a thing in America? Everyone here in Australia loves iced coffee both the type made in a cafe and the stuff from the bottle.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tarantula posted:

Is iced coffee really not a thing in America? Everyone here in Australia loves iced coffee both the type made in a cafe and the stuff from the bottle.

It's different to iced coffee in that it's never hot to begin with.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

EmmyOk posted:

It's different to iced coffee in that it's never hot to begin with.

Huh I looked it up and I thought he was just using an Americanism I'd never heard.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah some people really don't get the concept -- you do it for letters that are hard to distinguish over the phone, not ALL of the letters. M and N need it, and possibly E. But A, R, and I really don't.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

People that don't understand elevators.

That especially covers people that always press both direction buttons because 'it makes it come faster', and people who get on a lift that's going in the wrong direction. Motherfucker it's going to stop on your floor again because you pressed for up, you achieve nothing by getting in and riding it all the way to the bottom except crowding the people on the lift.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Sometimes I'll be walking down the sidewalk and I see someone ahead of me that's stopped, doing something or other, and they don't move until moving would put them directly in my way. What the gently caress is up with that?

Yes. It's a sidewalk, not a sidestand. Move.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I'm waiting on 1 email confirmation so I can do my job. It's been 2+ weeks of back and forth and I just need a confirmation and an address.

I have to spend about $2000 prepping a stage show for a tour and I need to know if I can ship things to the theater we're teching at, or if it all needs to arrive at the loving warehouse. :argh: Let me do my job! Email me back!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tarantula posted:

Huh I looked it up and I thought he was just using an Americanism I'd never heard.

It's made by soaking beans in cold water for a longer period instead of cooling down hot coffee. it is a bit of a trend to some degree (it's been around forever but just started popping up everywhere since Starbucks started selling it 10 years later than every other coffee shop). TBH I hope the trend lasts because it makes a better iced coffee.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No it doesn't. It makes mild to bland coffee. The best iced coffee is the japanese style where you brew hot coffee on top of ice cubes.

Cold brewing coffee is like boiling steak in lukewarm water. 10 years from now cold brew will be embarrassing like frappucinos and people only like it for the instagrams of the coffee in mason jars.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nah.

I personally just dump hot espresso over Ice every morning, but if you think cold brew is mild or bland you have no idea what you are talking about and I suspect you haven't even had it.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Aug 24, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They're both very good (if made correctly obviously), but the Japanese method is more convenient so that's how I roll. When I'm making it at home, at least. If I'm buying one then I don't really taste a difference.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

veni veni veni posted:

Nah.

I personally just dump hot espresso over Ice every morning, but if you think cold brew is mild or bland you have no idea what you are talking about and I suspect you haven't even had it.

I've had it many times from the crap places like Peet's up to Four Barrel to Ritual to making it myself. After about a month I realized it sucks compared to the japanese style.

Coffee beans just release more flavor with proper amount of heat. If someone gifts me a bag of lovely coffee from starbucks or whatever I'll turn that into cold brew and it's bearable.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I remember when I got my first coffee bean grinder and my dad made fun of me about it every time he came over for months. "Look at mister fancy here, too good for folgers now are you?" etc and would refuse to drink it.

I think it's just a being afraid of change thing where they don't want to have to do it the "new" way. Eventually I got him to try a cup and he reluctantly admitted it was "OK" and now has one of his own.

One thing I love about my mom is, despite being in her 60s, she just loves everyfuckingthing. Starbucks has some new way out there flavor? Let's try one! Croissants AND donuts at the same time (she lives in the middle of nowhere, things take time to get to her)?! We have to try those! Butter in your coffee? Sounds gross, but I'll take a sip! When I graduated college a bunch of us went out for Chinese. I was the only vegetarian and she was the only one in my family to politely try tofu. She didn't finish the piece, but she at least tried it! I really think she was just happy there was something there I could eat, after seeing me struggle through vegetarianism in WV in the 90s, growing up. Sometimes she's a little on the goofy side, but I wish I had just a fraction of her optimism and her wide-eyed enthusiasm for the most mundane poo poo.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

veni veni veni posted:

Nah.

I work at a Dunkin' Donuts and I can tell you straight up if your cold brew is coming out bland you are doing something wrong.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coffee is poo poo anyway.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I bought a jug of cold brewed coffee where the product name was "Not Too Sweet" and it was the sugariest thing I've ever put in my mouth, including plain sugar. I felt betrayed.

It was these assholes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Mine is people walking their dogs and idly looking at their phone. The person dog and leash will cover the entire sidewalk and then some, and because they're not paying attention you have to tell them to get out of the way. The best is when they stand at a corner and block sidewalks going in two directions. I see this a lot when I go for a run.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

I bought a jug of cold brewed coffee where the product name was "Not Too Sweet" and it was the sugariest thing I've ever put in my mouth, including plain sugar. I felt betrayed.

It was these assholes.

Yeah this was the crap I was drinking. it's not good.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah some people really don't get the concept -- you do it for letters that are hard to distinguish over the phone, not ALL of the letters. M and N need it, and possibly E. But A, R, and I really don't.

As someone with a name containing the letters B, P, T, and G, and who frequently gets ASKED to spell my name sloooooowly using this system, you are not wrong but you're underestimating how much sounds alike. My name is the most Anglo-Saxon goddang thing, and I have to spell it every. time. full stop.

That said, the first few times this happened to me I was so flustered I just chose random crap to represent the letters, and now they've stuck. SORRY PHONE PEOPLE.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Aug 24, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

As someone with a name containing the letters B, P, T, and G, and who frequently gets ASKED to spell my name sloooooowly using this system, you are not wrong but you're underestimating how much sounds alike. My name is the most Anglo-Saxon goddang thing, and I have to spell it every. time. full stop.

That said, the first few times this happened to me I was so flustered I just chose random crap to represent the letters, and now they've stuck. SORRY PHONE PEOPLE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XfIFjCwUBI

Reminds me of this standup clip :P

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

When I'm organizing stuffed animals at work and someone picks one up from a spot I just perfected to be all facing outwards then proceeds to put the item back backwards. I swear they do it on purpose.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wronng thread

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

YeahTubaMike posted:

Similarly, when it's a small walkway and they're not only walking slowly, but slightly meandering from side to side so I can't walk past them without me looking like the rear end in a top hat :argh: Stay to the right dammit, or whatever side cars drive on in your country, sidwalks aren't difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Walking down a narrow sidewalk or what have you with a couple holding hands coming in the opposite direction. Would it loving kill you guys to let go of each other's hands for a couple of seconds so I can pass by smoothly so we're both not doing the awkward "who's going first?" dance? He's not going to cheat on you the moment your hands cease to touch, and ditto with leaving you for another man the instant skin contact ends, so just let go of each other's hands for a couple of seconds and let me pass!

Unless of course, they can't let go since it's a freak super glue accident and they're walking to someplace that can rectify the situation, in which case I'm terribly sorry, and carry on.

• Locked thread