Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't know there was one. I searched and didn't find anything similar. I can kill this thread if it's redundant for people.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703493

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

Congratulations, you're enraged by the normal way to do things.
Only normal for Americans. Everyone else in the world thinks you look like stupid children eating that way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ArtIsResistance posted:

People who call jokes made with people they post with who wouldn't give a poo poo if you died inside jokes
"Inside joke" just means it's a reference to something not widely known, it doesn't mean a joke between best friends.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

On this note, people who ask spoilery questions when I'm showing them a movie or show. Not a self-directed musing like "Oh no, is [x] going to die?" But straight-up, directed at me and expecting a response, "Does [x] die?" I am always really, really tempted to just flatly tell them the truth. Instead I have to vaguely answer and I feel like they're all the while gauging my capacity to lie.
On the other hand, people who are ahead of me in a show we're both watching who get really cagey about it when they find out. I don't care about spoilers, just talk about it. Tell me what happens in later episodes, its fine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Not leaving the room to take a phone call. I'll turn down the music and be quiet if you just need to give a couple of quick answers, but as soon as it becomes clear that this is going to be an extended discussion, go to another room so the rest of us can get on with whatever we're doing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Generally people who can't just enjoy something without adding ironic caveats.
I don't mind the phrase "guilty pleasure" as shorthand for "I enjoy this even though I recognise its many faults", but most of the time I find it's actually a lot closer to "I appreciate the muppets on a much deeper level than you". Like, people say something is a "guilty pleasure" when they mean "you probably think this is crap because you're not as perceptive as I am".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Cigarettes rule and I wish they weren't so bad for you so I could smoke more of them.

Pick posted:

Same. I still stash a pack around and smoke about one every two months.

veni veni veni posted:

I don't miss smoking a pack a day though.
About once a year I buy and smoke a pack and that's much better than smoking all the time. But if they weren't so bad for you, it would be nice to smoke more often than that. It's like alcohol - if you're drinking all day every day then you're not doing it because you enjoy it, but if you had to restrict yourself to once a year that would suck.

veni veni veni posted:

Imo if someone is smoking outside and a little bit of it wafts my way it smells wonderful and makes me want a cigarette. Someone after they have smoked, or a house/car that gets smoked/ash trays are maybe some of the most disgusting smells on earth. A room full of smoke is like death.
Even when smoking inside was allowed I always liked to go outside to smoke, for this exact reason. Fresh cigarette smoke is great, but once it hangs around a bit, whatever made it smell good disappears. The only way to tolerate being in a room that people smoke in is to be smoking yourself.

Intoluene posted:

Even as a smoker, this drives me nuts. Put it out and put it in the garbage. Not rocket science, people.
Agreed. What's so loving difficult about walking two metres to the bin? The worst though is people sitting around a campfire smoking and throwing their butts on the ground. What the gently caress is wrong with you? There's a fire right in front of you to throw them in!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sic Semper Goon posted:

"Yes, Jakob the Wigger, I know you worship 50 cent, and you've already told me you want to go to prison several times before. I know, ok?"
Have you asked him why he doesn't just go commit a crime then? It's not like going to prison is difficult to accomplish.

Inzombiac posted:

We hosted a ton of Japanese students when I was young. Getting them to try root beer for the first time was always hilarious. Apparently to them it tastes like cough syrup.
Isn't that what it tastes like to everyone?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rolo posted:

I hate people being anti sports on the internet like it's not much more annoying to read 'hand egg, sports ball and superb owl' over and over and over every time someone brings up football.
Wasn't "superb owl" just a Stephen Colbert joke about how you're not allowed to use the words "super bowl" to promote things due to trademark licensing?

Sic Semper Goon posted:

This being Australia, he'd have to nearly murder someone in order to go to prison
I'm fairly certain this is not true. I don't know off the top of my head what the easiest way to go to prison would be, but I do know we lock people up for things other than murder and attempted murder.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Catberry posted:

This happens either because the other person is so old that they can't comprehend the GPS. Or they are so familiar with the city itself that they can't grasp that someone else would have trouble navigating by rambled directions.
It predates GPS. I've always preferred getting the address and looking it up on a map, but people just will not believe that.

:v: "Well, you go left from the train station, then take the third right-"
:geno: "Hold on, I'm not going to remember that, just give me the address."
:v: "Oh, just let me explain, it's much easier."
:geno: "Not for me, I prefer to look at a map."
:v: "But I can just tell you how to get there!"
:geno: "If I have a map I can just refer to it if I need to, it's much easier."
:v: "Well, if you're sure... but it'd be much easier for me to just tell you how to get there!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Why do people think this is so clever? I know if I said some poo poo like "Yay video games, put a pixel through another pixel and win points!" they'd have something to say about it.

"But with video games its about your own personal achievement not just being happy because someone else played a game well!" *Ignores the existence of pro video gamers, streamers and let's players*
:goonsay:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It has nothing to do with people not liking sports and everything to do with people being insufferable dorks about it. It's the hurf durf sportsball bullshit, the "don't say 'we' if you're not actually on the team" nerdsplaining, the "why would you want to watch someone else play a game" disingenuous garbage. Because it's entertaining to watch people do something that they're good at!
There's two distinct things here though. "Sportsball" is just "I don't like or understand this therefore it's dumb". The "we" thing is separate. I get liking sports. I get liking particular athletes (or combinations of athletes). I even get wanting your own country's team to win (although I think it's dumb for different reasons). But if you follow a sport like football (any version as long as its within a single country) and you stick with a single team because you think of that team as a distinct thing unto itself that persists across time, you're a loving idiot. The Bombers or the Patriots or Arsenal are just brands. You may as well be cheering for Unilever or Hewlett-Packard. And if you associate yourself so closely with a brand that you feel like you've achieved something when the athletes they sponsor do well (regardless of who those athletes currently are)... what the gently caress?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sub-titles are literally the best because you can eat loud snacks and still follow the dialogue.
Also if you're at my parents house and trying to watch something on their godawful lovely television you can actually follow the dialogue without turning the volume up way too loud.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In one of my previous office jobs they didn't have enough desks for everyone and since I was the last guy hired I was designated hotdesker. Every morning I had to find out who had called in sick and use their desk for the day and since my back isn't in great I usually had to adjust their seat and I quite often had to adjust the height of the desk as well. (The desks were adjustable so people had set them to all sorts of different heights.) I'm pretty sure everyone hated my guts because of that but it's not like I had a choice, if I tried sitting in an incorrectly adjusted chair for 8 hours I'd be hosed. This went on for months and months.
The place I used to work had permanent staff on day shifts and then casuals using those same desks in the evenings. The day staff absolutely hated it and repeatedly tried to make a rule that evening staff couldn't adjust anything, which didn't work because A that's ridiculous and B there was no one from day shift there to enforce it anyway.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

reclining on or off.
I don't even know what this means. What sort of chair is this?

I don't know why "try your best to leave things that aren't yours as they were when you found them" is such a controversial concept. I thought most parents teach their kids this when they're like 6 years old.
If someone adjusts your chair and leaves it way off, you instantly realise and can fix it. If someone adjusts your chair and then tries to put it back, it'll end up being slightly off and you'll spend a day or two wondering why it doesn't feel right. I wouldn't have expected this to be a controversial concept.

There are people like him in offices everywhere I've worked
People who have to use someone else's chair?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

If you're getting territorial about a goddamn office chair, you should reconsider your priorities. Someone adjusted your chair? Adjust it back. Someone swapped your chair for a different one? Get your chair back or just use the different one. If it's broken, get it replaced.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It's where I sit 40-50+ hours a week. Why would I not want a comfortable chair, and why should I have to go hunting from office to office for my chair every couple days? I have better things to do with my time at work. How would you feel if someone swapped your brand new 30" work monitor for an old 15" one? Is my mouse and keyboard fair game too? I mean, you can just go get a different one no problem right? Why be territorial about tools you need to do the job you were hired to do?
Does it work? No? It needs to be thrown out and replaced. Yes? loving use it and stop whinging. Or go find a better one if you can. Who loving cares?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Serge Painsbourg posted:

I don't know if it's just me, but the new checkout voice sounds petulant. I always feel mildly irritated after going through because it sounds so impatient.

"Please take your items."
You haven't printed my receipt yet, stop telling me what to do, machine! :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When someone makes a reference to something and then someone else follows up with another reference to the same thing just to show that they got it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Slime posted:

But if you're australian calling another man a oval office basically means "hey friend"

People spreading this myth is an obnoxious little thing that makes me unreasonably angry.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Why, which one are you?

What?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Tiggum, he's asking if you're Australian or a oval office.
Well, I am Australian. I'll leave the rest for others to judge.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jippa posted:

oval office in non american english speaking countries is still a swear word you wouldn't use of front of your gran it just isn't gendered in the way it is in america.
I don't know if there's some degree of genderedness you're referring to, but "oval office" is a gendered insult in all English-speaking countries. And it's not a friendly greeting in Australia.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jippa posted:

In the UK/Ire calling some one a oval office as an insult is just a catch all word meaning very bad that has no reference to gender.
Maybe within certain subcultures. Not universally.

Tarantula posted:

Uh yea it's a friendly greeting to people you know well and it can be used as a compliment too eg: "dazza is one tough oval office, cunts built like a brick shithouse".
Only in the same way that any insult can be a term of affection between friends.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Snoo posted:

why are you running your bath on and off after midnight

why did you wake me up at 6am running your bath on and off that early

why

Are you sure it's not a washing machine or something?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I'm starting to think your problem is having very good hearing and not having loud neighbors. Someone running their bath shouldn't be waking you.

I don't know about "good hearing", maybe just being incapable of living around other human beings. People make sounds. If you live in close proximity, you'll hear some of those sounds. If you can't tolerate that, go live by yourself in a cave like the crazy hermit you are obviously meant to be.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jippa posted:

This thread is specifically to complain about " Obnoxious little things that people do that make you unreasonably angry."

But that's exactly what I was doing?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People complaining about unusual or unusually spelled names is obnoxious and makes me unreasonably angry. They're just names, people! They're almost entirely irrelevant, and having an odd name is not going to negatively influence anyone's life. Get the gently caress over it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I know you don't "get" things like normal people do, but can you not understand that there are people who make fun of people with odd names? Or that it would be annoying/frustrating to have people never spell your name properly?
I have an oddly-spelled name, People have spelled it wrong my entire life. It's not a big deal. Occasionally I have to correct someone because it's an official document or something, but mostly I just ignore it. I find it a bit weird that people don't check the spelling of any name they're writing down, but it's really not an issue. Would my life be easier if my name were spelled the normal way? Nope. Not even slightly.

And I don't buy the idea that kids with weird names get picked on or bullied more than anyone else. I've never seen any evidence of that happening, just a lot of people insisting that it must happen. :shug:

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Settle down, Stzepyhasnyie.

We can be outraged about what we please, without self-appointed censors/overlords telling us what we can or can't complain about.
:ironicat:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Surely you wouldn't deny that "seven" is a stupid name.
I would. It's fine.

It's not a bad thing to have the same name as a lot of people, but you wouldn't know this from new parents because if you say your kid is named "michael" or "daniel" or "joseph" etc they'll turn their nose up and act superior, like they care more about their kid because they put such deep thought into taking a normal name and sticking some y's in it.
But you're doing the exact same thing in the opposite direction! :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

om nom nom posted:

100% this. Especially when they are clearly perturbed when I don't walk on the grass so they can speed down the sidewalk uninterrupted. If you are older than 13 get on the loving road.

Where I live there are a lot of shared bike/pedestrian paths. One side of the road will be an ordinary footpath and the other will be shared. Dickheads still ride their bikes on the pedestrian-only side. :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

One technique that's handy in everyday life is to adjust the numbers so that you're working with tens. For example, 48 + 17. 48 is close to 50, so to get there you do 48+2. That 2 had to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is the 17, so 17-2 is 15. You now have 50 + 15, which is 65.

That's a technique that is way easier to do in your head compared to: "8 + 7 = 15, so 5 for the 1s digit, carry the 1 into the 10s digit, so now we have 4 + 1 + 1 for the 10s digit, which is 6.. wait what did I have for the 1s digit again?" It still takes practice to get comfortable and fast with, again like any maths, but at least you don't have to visualize a piece of graph paper to do it. And you can get fast, you don't have to think out all the steps in long-form like I did in my example. I don't spend any time practicing that technique and for that example my thoughts are basically: "48 and 17, 48 so 50... 17 so 15... plus 50 is 65." The more practice, the more of that you get to "skip" because you internalize the intermediate steps and your brain just does them without you thinking about it consciously.

I don't see how your way is any easier. If I want to add 48 and 17 I just think "8 and 7 is 15, 40 and 10 is 50, 50 and 15 is 65." Seems like whichever you've practised is going to be the easier option, and since my way's basically the same as how you do it on paper, why bother learning the other way for when you want to do it in your head? I'm certainly not visualising a piece of paper or anything like that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't know what this is called. Youtube Face? gently caress all these guys.

I don't know what you're referring to. They're all doing different things?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People who act like not breaking the law is somehow the obnoxious or inconsiderate option. If someone's driving under the limit, that's a reasonable thing to complain about, but if you're whinging because you're being forced to drive at the speed limit because the person in front of you is, the problem there is you. Just drive at the right speed and reach your destination about half a minute later. It's really not a big deal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure people like the cake and will awkwardly sing a bad Happy Birthday if there is cake at the end of it.
I hate birthday cakes, because I always feel obliged to have some even though I don't want to and then I just think about other things I could have eaten instead but now I've had this cake that I didn't want and that's disappointing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The only reason I avoid cake is that it would kill me. Cake is great, and so is the band CAKE.

The band is good. The food is OK, but it's just not as good as many other things that I could eat instead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Just eat everything, then you don't have to be so goddamn picky and whiny!
I can only fit a finite amount of food in my stomach at any one time. :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Catberry posted:

So when a store is set to open at 10:00 I show up at 9:50 and wait in my car. At 10:00 some guy runs up to the door and fiddles a bit before walking away. I walk up to the door and pull the handle and it's not even open. Instead he returns at 10:03 or 10:05 and opens up while I stand in the cold looking into my phone like a loving lemon.

If I ever own a store I will tell the staff to open 5 minutes before it says we open.
Related: Shops that just don't advertise their opening times. You walk past and they're closed, so you decide to come back when they're open but there's no indication of when that might be.

Bogan King posted:

Pay your staff to be there earlier than opening hours then.
Don't most shops already do this?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mouse Dresser posted:

Along that line, people that write/say "whilst." Yeah, I know it's technically correct at times, but gently caress if it's ever used outside of making some neckbeard sound smart when he's m'ladying some woman on OkCupid.

That's one of those words (like "fortnight") that Americans think is a weird affectation and everyone else just thinks is a normal word.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Funny though, there seems to be a LOT of kids out there named Sissy now. I hear it at least once a week.

And her siblings Nancy and Poofter?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah if you eat yoghurt in any way other than a spoon I won't even consider you human.

What about on a slice of bread with some jam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

I work with clients in my job and I hate when people feel the need to give an example word with every letter of their name, like "Marianne. M as in Michael A as in apple R as in etc etc" I speak the same drat language as you! You're only making it way more confusing for me by introducing totally unnecessary words! Sometimes I don't even remember what their name is by the end of it especially with last names
Only problem with that is not using the NATO phonetic alphabet. Mike Alpha Romeo India Alpha November November Echo.

Sociopastry posted:

they made us do this at the call center I used to work at. part of the joy was figuring out words that weren't common to use.

M as in mastodon, N as in Nimrod, P as in possession...
:argh:

• Locked thread