Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Moai Ou posted:

People that don't know how four-way stops work and treat it as a free-for-all.

Also known as three-way-stops or everybody-else-stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

veni veni veni posted:

Imo it's on the machine a lot of the time. like 10% of the time there is some error in weighing the produce and it literally won't let you continue until a staff member intervenes, or a sale doesn't ring up and someone has to come over and change the price. I get more annoyed that people that just take their sweet time. looking the receipt over, individually putting pennies into the little pouch on their wallets etc. Hurry up or get in the regular line.

The Safeway near me transitioned to a new self-checkout system about three months ago and they still haven't managed to get all the fresh stuff into the system properly. Look up mushroom by name and maybe it'll have the variety you want, maybe not. So you push the button and the clerk comes over and types in a memorized 4-digit code and it comes up with CRIMINI MUSHROOMS ORGANIC why the gently caress isn't that searchable by name what kind of horseshit outsourced already-bankrupt software consultancy did you overpay to get this garbage?

Also this store is in the city and perpetually surrounded by homeless meth-heads which means the scales are tuned so that if something is off by an eighth of a gram or you try to use your own bag and it isn't made out of silk it's going to lock up. As if the meth-heads are going to bother going all the way through the self-checkout procedure to try and sneak three grains of couscous past the scale instead of just bolting out the door with an armload of random grabbables.

There are at least 12 self-checkout registers and I never see less than half of the Help Me lights on when I'm there. I've had one give me the middle finger four times in a row, and I resent how dumb it made me feel even though I was just trying to scan a loving box of crackers. It is NOT a friendly system and I find myself mustering up a lot of extra patience for the senior citizens and otherwise impaired people trying to use it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Joey Freshwater posted:

e: similarly with M. Night Shyamalan

At some point in Cinema Discusso, intentional manglings of 'Shyamalan' became officially probatable and everyone was better for it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Cowslips Warren posted:

Working on an rpg with a friend. We get the basic stuff down...and then when we actually have the game in play, she announces she wants to move past whatever campaign/plot point is happening because she's 'not in the mood for this right now.' Well, fair enough, but when you help me WRITE THE loving THING, why do you include XYZ poo poo, and then when the game is on with players, you decide you're not in the mood for a sidequest/major battle/anything in particular because you had some new idea about next week's play?

Everyone has off days, but gently caress it, if you're going to want to skip past half of the drat thing, what's the point? Especially poo poo she specifically wanted to do!

Is this a tabletop/d&d thing, and if so are you both DMing or something? It's kind of hard to grasp what's going on from your post.

Anyway, it sounds like she might be happier just writing the scenarios and not getting involved in playing them out. I've known plenty of people that get very excited and detailed about character creation, for instance, but then always flake on actually playing the game for whatever reason. I'd be shocked if the same thing doesn't happen regularly on the other side of the table.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

bean_shadow posted:

Not being able to do simple equations on the fly is loving humiliating. I'm ashamed of it and always have been. Things are easier with calculators on phones but I shouldn't need a calculator in the first place.

I think one of the big problems you're having is that the way we are taught to do arithmetic (see everything laid out in columns, do every calculation one column at a time starting from least significant digit, carry the 1, etc.) is a terrible way to do arithmetic in your head. And because arithmetic is so simple (relative to other branches of mathematics; not trying to rub salt in anyone's wounds here), there's no real reason to do it on paper unless you're dealing with just enormous numbers (which you can use a calculator for).

There are a ton of techniques for mental math, and they take practice the same way we needed to practice pencil & paper addition when we were kids. They tend to be specific to the type of problem being done. One technique that's handy in everyday life is to adjust the numbers so that you're working with tens. For example, 48 + 17. 48 is close to 50, so to get there you do 48+2. That 2 had to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is the 17, so 17-2 is 15. You now have 50 + 15, which is 65.

That's a technique that is way easier to do in your head compared to: "8 + 7 = 15, so 5 for the 1s digit, carry the 1 into the 10s digit, so now we have 4 + 1 + 1 for the 10s digit, which is 6.. wait what did I have for the 1s digit again?" It still takes practice to get comfortable and fast with, again like any maths, but at least you don't have to visualize a piece of graph paper to do it. And you can get fast, you don't have to think out all the steps in long-form like I did in my example. I don't spend any time practicing that technique and for that example my thoughts are basically: "48 and 17, 48 so 50... 17 so 15... plus 50 is 65." The more practice, the more of that you get to "skip" because you internalize the intermediate steps and your brain just does them without you thinking about it consciously.

I can't emphasize just how BAD traditional education is when it comes to training our brains to actually do math. That thing in our skulls is an unfathomably powerful computer and maths education has effectively decided to use it as a space heater. But if you're down on yourself for this, go look up some stuff on the internet about mental math techniques, pick one and practice it. Start with things that you can apply regularly in your life, stuff like making change or calculating tips at a restaurant, so you can practice it without needing to go "Okay it's Math Time now." Start with exactly one technique, and use it for a while.

Note: I have no idea how what I just said applies to people with dyscalculia; skimming the article it seems like the techniques wouldn't help with the more severe cases, since that seems to involve a more fundamental problem conceptualizing numbers in general.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I agree with Tiggum for once. For stuff like that it's something that's over in like 1, 2 seconds top in your head anyway, trying to change the way you do it is pointless and will probably just make it take longer. Find the way that works for you and stick to it, there's no one right/most efficient way.

Well sure, if that way works for you then that's great, but I was responding to the people who expressed frustration at being unable to do simple mental calculations. If all you know is the one way you're taught in school, and that way doesn't work for you in the situations you need it to, that's a problem and I provided an example of one of many alternatives. You shouldn't change the way you do it if you are content with the speed and accuracy of your own method.

My bigger point was that there are techniques that aren't generally taught in school, and those techniques take practice (and knowing that they exist at all to begin with).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Catberry posted:

I saw something like that a few days ago. A guy was launching clouds that were easily a meter long and half a meter wide. Looked like a steam engine.

I see that poo poo daily on my walk to work, it's always bubblegum or cotton candy (I can't tell which, it's just some cloying fruit odor) and they seem to deliberately blow it onto the widest part of the path instead of up or into wall. Desperate grab for even a fleeting moment of acknowledgement from another human being, no matter who? Couldn't be.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sic Semper Goon posted:

At a party I was at a couple of months ago, some girl introduced herself to the group as "Hi, I'm XXX, and I'm bisexual." This was not a swinger's party.

Ok then...

*PUSH*

I am homeless.
I am gay.
I have AIDS.
I'm new in town...

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Heh, thanks, I knew somebody would.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Aesop Poprock posted:

This might sound goony but babies and little kids are loving disgusting and it's not cute if they're naked or pooping themselves and I feel like it has to be a survival mechanism for parents to believe it is and constantly talk about it

I'm pretty sure it's desensitization. When you have a baby you spend most of your time covered in vile excretions of all kinds, so does the baby and so does every surface in your home. It's just normal and +/- one counter with infant poo poo on it doesn't even register. There's probably a "I'm on so little sleep I can barely see outside my own eyeballs" factor for the first few months too.

Not excusing them; It's still disgusting, kids are still disgusting, and I wish the general population didn't extend parents quite so much leeway as it seems to.

YeahTubaMike posted:

People who can't put their phone in their pocket for one god damned second when they're walking down a busy sidewalk -- or worse, walking up/down stairs -- need to be dropkicked in the back of the head. There are going to be entire generations of people who think this is okay behavior, and I am not ready.

They're not walking; they're ambling, and they always weave back and forth. I've given up trying to get around them politely, I just pick my path and if they weave into it at the last minute they're going to get shouldered out of the way. Most of the time the physical contact doesn't even register.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sociopastry posted:

they made us do this at the call center I used to work at. part of the joy was figuring out words that weren't common to use.

M as in mastodon, N as in Nimrod, P as in possession...

it's all I had okay

Amateur hour.

P as in pneumonia, X as in Xi (Zy, or 'shee' if you're feeling nasty), Q as in Qi (has a 'ch' sound to it), K as in Knurl, D as in Djinn.
I also like the ones that make other letters (A as in Are, S as in See, E as in Eye, W as in Why, Y as in You)

Che Delilas has a new favorite as of 09:20 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People who step off an escalator and then stand there blocking it are worse because you don't get the option to stand there and wait or ask them to move, the escalator is shoving you into them and there's probably a line of people behind you getting shoved into you so you can't even back up

I always like to think that these people are just so dumb that they have to take a moment to figure out what just changed.

• Locked thread