Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Does anyone personally know - hell, let's expand it one degree further to know people who know people - who have ever been ticketed for being in the left lane? It only seems to come up as a justification for being an rear end in a top hat tailgater.

I'm a flow-of-traffic guy on the highway, but on regular roads, gently caress you I'm in whatever lane I need to be in because I'm going to be turning eventually. You can either get upset that I'm going a speed that won't get me pulled over*, get upset because in three minutes because you'll have to slow down because I'm making a turn, or slow down and go with the flow I'm going at.

* Especially on roads I know well, ones that the cops will bust you for going five over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Seems like the variable for good highway driving isn't being in the right lane unless you're passing, but being the kind of driver who is (or more seemingly, isn't adapting to how the rest of the drivers around him/her are driving.

Like, that Vox video has a scenario of a driver "having" to weave though two lanes. The correct thing is simply to stay in your lane and not weave like a madman.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 10:27 on Apr 21, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Human Tornada posted:

Why do people get so excited to show off that they're unoriginal?

It's less that they are unoriginal, but that they have something in common with a large group or society in general. Ask yourself the same but opposite question: why do people get so excited to show off that they aren't part of the greater group?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Human Tornada posted:

Because the outliers of the world are more interesting and people want to be thought of as interesting?

If everyone agreed with those two points, there wouldn't be many people who get so excited to show off that they are part of the greater group. Depending on your culture, uniqueness might not be praised over conformity.

Content: when a group of people come into a place that can't possibly seat them together, so there's always one or two people sitting nearby and having to talk through others to get to the rest of the group. Dammit, if you've got six people and your options are "four people here and two people there", go somewhere else!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The worst part is if you ever try to teach them some basic thing they claim they "just don't get", they'll keep stopping you every 2 words to say "this is sooo haaaard i told you i just don't get it". No poo poo you don't, you aren't even trying. It's not even complex math, I had to struggle with one of my students once who I had to walk through how to solve something like 64/x=8, solve for x and their eyes would just glaze over no matter how simplistic you made it. Like I'd say "what is 64 divided by 8" and they'd answer correctly, but if I said "what number do I have to divide 64 by to get it to equal 8" they were just utterly lost. And these were college students.

This sort of mentality is the founding event that makes being bad at math socially acceptable. Everyone has a story about a Math Guy doing the equivalent of suddenly speaking Ethiopian, and blaming the listener for being flummoxed.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but in that example I broke it down as simply as you possibly could. It is the listener's fault for not even trying to understand.

Your assumption that they aren't even trying is the problem. It's a situation that every math-sucky person has dealt with, hearing from every math-focused person, since the dawn of time. I swear, there's no elaborate conspiracy to tell you we don't get it but not listening. We just actually don't get it.

Assuming math is in any way comprehensible is something that makes me angry, I guess, because I've been there.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
People linking to a long YouTube video as an answer to a question, without a timecode.

• Locked thread