Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Why you shouldn't drive slowly in the left lane

This was discussed a few pages back, I'm not digging through to find the original poster to quote. But I just saw this video on Facebook and figured it was worth sharing. I honestly didn't even know that travel in the left lane was ok anywhere (in my state even), on a two lane highway the right lane is travel, the left is passing. On a three lane highway, it's merging lane, travel lane, passing lane. Four lanes, and you have merging, slower, faster, passing. People who just pop on the highway, and get as far left as possible are the worst. I think the poster mentioned driving 5 mph over the speed limit, and that's fast enough, no one needs to be driving faster than that. You don't get to dictate the flow of traffic based on your personal idea of what is an appropriate speed; choosing an arbitrary number like 5 mph over the limit, and anyone who has picked a different arbitrary number 7, 10, 15 or whatever over is wrong. By the law, you are all speeding, acting like you are some speed vigilante is who is in the right by breaking the law just the perfect amount it insane. Hanging out in the left lane and having people who are trying to pass you get built up behind you is impeding the flow of traffic, no matter what the speed is. Drive in the right lane, pass on the left. Speed up if you are committing to passing if you have to, and get the gently caress back over.

I know it's been discussed, but this is a serious pet peeve of mine. Drivers in my state tend to be really good highway drivers, there are long stretches of 2 lane highways with speed limits up to 80. The flow of traffic can be rather variable depending where you are with such a high speed limit, so everyone knows to drive on the right, pass of the left if you feel like moving faster than the vehicle ahead of you. Having road tripped across the northern corridor of the USA, I've noticed this deteriorates as you go east, a bit to the west in Washington too, but they're pretty good until you get close to the coast. Idaho, Montana, the Dakotas, and Minnesota have great highway drivers who know what they are doing, it's worse once you hit Wisconsin, iowa, and Illinois, Ohio sucks, Pennsylvania has loving garbage highway drivers (probably the worst), and New York and New England aren't much better than Pennsylvania. The smoothest and least stressful highway driving occurs when you use the left lane exclusively for passing, and if you camp out in that lane you are loving it up for the rest of the drivers on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Astrobastard posted:

Thats cool too but I like thing.

Obnoxious - Americans that proudly latch onto heritage that has literally nothing to do with them like the "Irish and Scottish" . Even worse are the ones that claim 25% French, 25% Italian etc and can barely speak English. No. You're American and your EU "family" doesn't want you anywhere near them.

Lol I'd file this one under "mild annoyance" for sure, mainly because of how my father does it.

My dad is so proud to be "Irish". His grandmother moved from Ireland before she was 10, his dad's side had been in the states for a long time before that and that side is just a mutt of heritage, something like English and German and a few others. We really have no idea except the fact that we're really, really white. We have a very British last name. My favorite is when he proudly orders an Irish whiskey at restaurants and quizzes the server on their selection, and ugh dear God not Jameson, the good stuff (he only knows Tullamore Dew), I'm Irish ya know.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I just thought of a real one, one that would be filed, in the words of George Carlin, under "major psychotic loving hatred."

When people lie about allergies in a restaurant when they don't like something because they think they'll get special attention, or that it will get hosed up if they just ask for no beans or whatever. As a guest in a restaurant, you are paying our salaries, while some cooks or (immature) chefs may be salty about changing their dish, we will make reasonable substitutions for you, because you are paying me andl that is what you want.

We take allergies super, super seriously. If you don't, someone can wind up in the hospital, or worse. People that lie about their allergies take a very serious matter and dilute it. They waste valuable time and energy. If you have "severe celiac disease" and order a beer with your meal, or say that it's OK that our fries, that are gluten free, are fried in the same frier as breaded stuff, I hate you so much. I especially hate you if you have Celiac for your entire meal,zazu then order a cheesecake with a Graham cracker crust and tell the server you are "going to be bad and eat some gluten" while you order it. You are the reason that people who actually have Celiac, a pretty serious digestive issue that will land them in the bathroom for an uncomfortable several hours if they get the tiniest bit of flour or whatever contaminates their food, are not taken seriously.

If you have a severe seafood allergy for your appetizer, but it's ok that the ramen you ordered for dinner has fish sauce in it, you are a terrible human being. A restaurant is a well oiled machine, and allergies put a wrench in those gears. Which is fine, if you have an allergy. We are happy that you trust our cooks to prepare food for you. But when an allergy comes in, everything has to be cleaned, new cutting boards, new utensils, etc. Most food in a restaurant is prepped ahead of time, even in a restaurant where everything is made from scratch, veggies are chopped and held in pans, recipes are made, most of the food is just about ready to go so that when you come in to eat. That way you can have your food in 10-15 minutes, and not an hour and a half. When an allergy comes in, if your allergen is anywhere near any of your food, or there is even a risk that it was near your food during any part of the prep process earlier in the day, it will be prepared 100% from scratch, because it's not worth the risk. A cook who could be cooking plates for 20 people at the same time is now cooking for 1, and other cooks who were cooking for 20 are now cooking for 25 and scrambling their balls off to make up for that first cook's slack. Which, again, is ok, as long as all of that effort is because you actually have an allergy. If you are lying because you don't like something, just know you are a real piece of poo poo. If you don't want the shrimp that come on the risotto, just say that, they will be left off. Sure, mistakes are made, but they will be fixed. But please, please do not be the kind of person who lies about having an allergy.

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 04:09 on May 6, 2017

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sic Semper Goon posted:

As I used to say, it's bloody astonishing how human DNA mutated to such an extent that gluten was indigestible in the space of 15 years, with the vast majority of people having no problem with it for millennia beforehand.

And, equally astonishing, it only seems to affect white women from 13 to 60, along with effete yuppie city dwellers.

I blame a dysgenics experiment by "the corporation".

From what I understand some of it comes from heritage. Native Americans, for example, naturally ate a gluten free diet until wheat was brought to the Americas, and even after that they ate a largely gluten free diet, keeping with traditional food. It's similar with Asians, they didn't have to digest gluten for thousands of years, and many are probably gluten intolerant and don't realize it, because they just eat gluten free all the time. There's similar information about lactose intolerance in cultures that don't drink milk. That certainly doesn't account for all cases, people are gluten intolerant across the board, but it's one factor that's been looked into.

It makes sense that it's popped up recently, it's a really difficult and invasive thing to test for. Your options are pretty much to have an intestinal biopsy, or if you feel like poo poo all the time, cut out gluten and see if that makes you feel better. That and the fact that it's an intolerance and not a true allergy, so you just feel like poo poo rather than going into anaphylactic shock, I could totally see that people would just go through life thinking that their digestive system just sucks in general and they get bloated and have the shits all the time. Once someone figured out the celiac disease thing, it became more prevelant and people and doctors started looking into that option.

All of that being said, celiac effects something like 1% of the population. Assuming another 1% is in a "testing" phase and legitimately cutting out gluten for a month to see if it truly improves their lives, way more than that claim to have Celiac. It's those affluent white people who jumped on the bandwagon and think going gluten free is a diet or a healthy choice or whatever that drive me nuts. And exponentially more so when they claim it's an allergy. Even though you won't kill somebody by accidentally feeding them gluten, it is a very real thing that needs to be taken seriously for a very small percentage of the population. It's the wealthy stay at home mom, who tells her server that everyone at the table is severely allergic to gluten because she doesn't want Carter, Asher, and Sebastian eating gluten like the unhealthy poors that haven't done their research, that have turned a recently discovered intolerance into a joke for the masses and an massively stressful situation for chefs.

As a side note, I've found a good indicator for someone lying about gluten (aside from when they find out that something they want can't be made gluten free, but "that's ok") is when they say they have a gluten allergy. Although I lumped it in with allergies, it's an intolerance, a lack of a digestive enzyme, rather than a true allergy. Anyone who has actually had a doctor diagnose them with Celiac disease will either name the disease or say they are gluten intolerant, people who say the word allergy are generally full of poo poo.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Perhaps, but I'm an Australian, and I've only come across, in my experience, British-Irish descended whites who bring it up.

There are certainly other factors, it's not a particularly well known thing yet. But trendy whites are definitely the most likely to bring it up, regardless of if they actually have an issue with it or not.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Catberry posted:

I've heard a lot about "we didn't use to have so many allergies back when"

Yeah you did. But a child that was allergic or had a strong intolerance to things like potatoes, wheat or dairy was just "That sickly/weak kid who died one winter"

Just like they probably had as much cancer back then as we do now. But instead of grandpa having headaches for a few years before dying peacefully in his chair one evening. He might get another 10-20 years with a proper diagnosis.

I think about this a lot, people will sometimes come in with these little cards that have their multiple severe allergies on them, like "I am deathly allergic to soy, peanuts, shellfish, nuts, and dairy." Well you are sure lucky you weren't born 100 years ago, you wouldn't have made it past 5. I'm happy to accommodate for allergies, but I always wonder why those people go out to eat. There's a good chance that most of the multiple foods that will kill you in trace amounts are all over this restaurant, why cause everyone (including yourself) extreme stress while they pray that the aura of the peanuts two stations down doesn't kill your incredibly sensitive rear end.

My all time favorite allergy lie was when a woman ordered a caprese pasta that was topped with chiffonade basil. "I have a chiffonade allergy, please make sure there isn't any near my food."

Second was last summer a woman came in with a severe gluten sensitivity. She told her server that she was so sensitive to gluten that her food couldn't be brought to her on the same tray as her husband's food. When the server told me this, I told her to apologize, but I am not comfortable cooking for her; our restaurant isn't gluten free, we get flour and semolina and dump it into bins, there could be flour in the air. Her food would be prepared near other food that contains gluten, regardless of how it was brought to her, and there is no way to avoid it. Of course she was fine with that, her food being cooked directly next to another pan that had pasta in it, it just couldn't be brought to her near gluten. So I had to have 2 food runners attending to a single 2-top during a huge rush in the middle of our busiest season because this bitch likes to be the most special person in the restaurant.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Catberry posted:

Micro$oft

On topic.

People who use the word "food poisoning" instead of "the runs" or "a stomach ache"

Like when a guy goes to a buffet and eats a mountain of fried chicken and then gets the runs an hour later. So he goes to the review page and accuses them of giving him food poisoning (pretty drat serious accusations).

If two days later you can't get out of bed and it's running out of both ends. Then you might have food poisoning.

This is an awful one, too. "I left your restaurant and 2 hours later I was on the toilet, you gave me food poisoning!" Food poisoning generally takes 36-72 hours to incubate, chances are, if it actually is food poisoning, it was from the chicken you cooked 2 days ago that you left in the sink over night and all day when you were at work to thaw.

I worked in Yellowstone for a while, at one point my boss's boss sent me an email that he received, just an absolute insulting attack on how our breakfast buffet gave this person food poisoning. And they knew it was our restaurant, "because we cooked our other meals in our campground ourselves." So you think it is more likely that a crew of professional cooks, who need to go through food safety training and are in a sanitary and incredibly regulated environment, are more likely to improperly prepare and/or handle your food than yourself preparing food outside without any sort of refrigeration, and running water a solid hike away? I explained that to the boss who forwarded me the email, and luckily we had pretty stringent tempurature logs where we made sure the buffet was at proper sercing temp every hour during service (which is way more frequently than required by law/necessary). That and none of the other 272 people who ate the same food from the same buffet that morning got sick, if a buffet is contaminated by some sort of foodborn illness it tends to result in a major outbreak.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kreyla posted:

People that cannot grasp the fact they have neighbors in an apartment complex. Yes, please, blast your stereo out of your open top jeep every time you come home. Slam all the cabinets. Instead of setting things down, drop them. Goddamn.

Of course it doesn't help that the walls and floors are tissue paper, but come on. How hard is it to close a cabinet or drawer rather than slamming it?

I had the opposite issue, a kid (20-23 I'd guess) who lived downstairs for me left a note on my door this past winter that we were "clomping around" before the sun came up in the morning, and if we could please avoid doing that until after 9. He hoped we would be more considerate in the future. I work at 6am, and wake up between 5-5:15, and try to be out the door before 5:45, I have a minimal routine in the morning.

My girlfriend is still asleep so no one's talking, and I do my best to make as little noise as possible so as not to wake her up. I don't wear shoes in the apartment, and have a carpeted floor. There are wooden stairs down to the parking lot, and I walk down them, I dunno, normally. It's not like I'm tiptoeing down them, but I'm certainly not bounding down the stairs at that hour. It was winter, so I started my car and had an extra trip up and down the stairs.

So it's kind of a similarly​ worded annoyance, but the opposite problem: someone who doesn't understand they have neighbors, separate people from themselves who operate their lives on their own schedule. Sorry, kid, you picked (or your parents picked) a downstairs apartment, there will be movement above you sometimes. I'm not going to refrain from warming up my car during Montana winter when it's usually below 0F before the sun is up because you're a light sleeper and too much of a pussy to handle incredibly mild noise.

Although what pissed me off the most about that situation is that we had just met him the day before. Shook hands, did the neighborly greeting, told him if he needed anything don't be afraid to ask. The note said that the "issue had been going on for weeks" and this bitch didn't say anything to my face. Just opted for the passive aggressive note option.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Goons timging every image in their post, and the pictures aren't even huge. If they are huge, just put an L or H in front of the extension and it'll resize it to something reasonable.

I do this because I mostly post on my phone/the awful app and you really can't tell what's huge and what's not.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
More like oldmaceless

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Something that just came up today:

When I order a pint of beer, I want a PINT, not a POT. I said "PINT" quite clearly. There's a 283 ml difference.

Then there are some bartenders who don't know what a pint is, and I have to describe it to them.

I'm sure we are from different places, but I've never heard of a pot of beer. Any beer in bars around me (Montana USA) is sold in a pint or half pint, and then some of the particularly potent or high alcohol beer will be a 6oz pour in a snifter.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Snoo posted:

why are you running your bath on and off after midnight

why did you wake me up at 6am running your bath on and off that early

why

Some people work late at night, or early in the morning. M-F 9-5 is not universal.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sociopastry posted:

Personal little thing:

people who make a HUGE loving PRODUCTION over small problems easily solved. I just had to break up a fight between two grown-rear end women because the tv remote's batteries died, and instead of just going and getting new batteries, they decided that screaming at each other for the better part of an hour was a better solution.

S'not that hard to do problem solving. The TV isn't responding to remote! Change batteries! Is problem solved? GOOD.

Ugh, had this just the other day at work. The pastry chef and I were in the walk-in together. "Om nom nom, we have an issue. So and so put a pan of vegetables like six inches further to the right than they normally do. I have NO ROOM. This is my space on the shelf shelf. I need this space." "You know this is so and so's second week here, did you ask him to move it and tell him why?" "I guess I could do that. This is my shelf ya know. I need the space." This was around 1pm, the vegetables were put on the shelf some time between 7:30 and 9am, and I could tell she had just been stewing about this all day, waiting for a moment that she and I were alone together so she could tell me about this egregious violation of protocol.

Like Christ this woman is supposed to be a supervisor/manager. I am the boss, but do you really need to bring me these incredibly minor, easily fixed problems, and pretend that they are a really, really big deal? Talk to people and look for a solution instead of whining and being pissed off. I have plenty of other things to be focused on.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

yo rear end is grass posted:

People who constantly point out mistakes their coworkers have made, rather than focusing on the right things they've done. For example, I work with a guy who is still fairly new in the kitchen, and every single time he makes a mistake he seems to get a barrage of people calling him an idiot. But the dude is trying his best, and more often than not gets everything correct.

Aesop Poprock posted:

In a kitchen atmosphere it's really dumb and people only do it because Gordon Ramsey and Anthony Bourdain glorified it. Chefs who think they have to act like they're angry TV celebrities suck and negatively impact the kitchen under them til they're left with the only people asaholeish and misanthropic enough to stay. It's dumb and unnecessary.

There are team jobs way more high stress than restaurant work that don't feel the need to treat everyone like poo poo because they don't have that dumb archetype built up around them

In a kitchen atmosphere if some idiot is loving up I will most assuredly let them know immediately. I won't call them an idiot, the first time, but mistakes need to be addressed and corrected, especially in an environment where the job is constant repetition and the goal is the flawless reproduction of various dishes; mistakes that are not addressed become bad habits very quickly. And then the idiot with low self esteem gets fired because he always fucks up, rather than feeling a little down for a little while, but learning what he should be doing and fixing the mistake.

That's not to say I'm yelling at people all the time, I actually tend to be very tactful in the kitchen, at least the first couple of times I need to talk to somebody. I like to make people I've talked to feel like they are learning to make badass food correctly and that's cool and fun, not focus on the gently caress up. But if someone is working slowly, in a dangerous manner, or using improper technique I will immediately bring it up and correct the behavior in the moment. I'll say nice job to people a handful of times every day, if they are going above and beyond, but doing your job correctly is the reason you are paid, and and we send you a thank you note for doing your job right every other Friday. Not addressing something that is being done wrong because sometimes some things are done right is loving asinine. I don't care if you are a 90% perfect employee in the kitchen, that other 10% is what needs to be addressed and change.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Novum posted:

People riding their bikes on the sidewalk.

100% this. Especially when they are clearly perturbed when I don't walk on the grass so they can speed down the sidewalk uninterrupted. If you are older than 13 get on the loving road.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I can't imagine that kind of cigarette habit, the "I go out for short bursts, as long as I can manage without a cigarette." I smoked for ~10 years and not almost 40, but if I was occupied it was always 2-3hrs between smokes, working as a chef was no smokes during the dinner rush (not like thats a rule it's just impossible), and sure that smoke afterwards was the best one all day, but even with a very real nicotine addiction I didn't really think about it until I was walking outside to my break, there was certainly never a time that I thought about changing careers or altering my life to accommodate more smoking. If I was sitting outside with a beer, sure I'd have them much more frequently, maybe playing video games on the weekend I'd have a smoke every hour, but it sounds like she is lighting a new cigarette off of the last one all day long. That's commitment to loving up your lungs.

Even when I was a smoker, stale nicotine smells fuckin gross. My habit came after most bars and restaurants were none smoking( I do remember my parents being asked smoking or non smoking as a kid), but I was always happy to go outside for a cigarette after my meal rather than have the whole place stink and ruin my meal. I can see bars that only do alcohol, no food, be proprietor's choice as far as smoking goes, but any other indoor public place, good riddance.

I guess I just can't imagine someone's life revolving around cigarettes like that. To not even be willing to cut back a bit so you can leave the house. To just become a cigarette hermit, smoking your several packs a day alone at home and blaming everyone else.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anybody who walks in to a store or restaurant a minute before they close and asks "hey are you still open?" is probably a terrible person. I'm willing to excuse "oh gently caress sorry I really need *thing* right now it's all I need I'll buy it and get out of your hair as quickly as I can" but it's very rarely that. Mostly it's "closing time means that if I get there a nanosecond before that then I can take all the time I need."

I worked in a restaurant that closed at midnight. It was a constant frustration for people to come in at 11:58 and be all like "hey you're still open, right?" and demand to be served. gently caress you. I hate you. I want to go home but now I have to wait an extra hour to take care of you then clean up the mess you'll invariably leave. Go away.

Similarly, I work in a restaurant that's only open for dinner, at 4 pm. I run the prep crew and do all of our purchasing among other things, so I spend a fair amount of time out in the seating area on the phone. The amount of people who pull on the door, peer in the door, pull again, walk around the building to the other side, pull on the door, see me, knock frantically and wave, then when i walk over figuring they're the new beer delivery guy or something go "hey, are you open?", is absolutely astounding. The hours are posted on both of the doors that you pulled on. We literally make all of our money from people being able to come in and eat a meal when we are serving them. If we wanted you in here, you wouldn't have to exert a bunch of effort and wind up with someone in a chef coat, holding a clipboard opening the door 6 inches not being particularly polite and giving you a weird look.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I really appreciated it the first half a year or so. Hedging bets with myself as to how many times they'd pull on the door, and whether they would actually walk all the way around the building to the other door, when the answer they were looking for was directly in front of them. But it became the kind of thing where I've lost a lot of faith in humanity. It just keeps happening. We tried serving lunch during the summer of 2014, and the cost of operations/stress on our staff to profit ratio just wasn't worth it. So my favorite, which happens relatively regularly is when I tell people we're closed, and as if the locked doors and lack of serving/ greeting/ any staff aside from this one guy weren't enough, they've got to double check: "so you're not open for lunch?" "No, we will open at 4 for dinner and happy hour." "But my (acquittance) had lunch here last week!" No, they did not. Either they are lying to you or you are trying to lie to me. I was here last week. We were not open for lunch. I really, really promise we are, in fact, closed, I didn't just hide all of the front of house staff, along with the other guests who weren't you, in order to not include you in our super secret under ground lunch that your friend was a part of, but you don't get to be.

Edit: this is probably the most appropriate thing in my life for this thread. It's a little thing, but it happens pretty regularly, and I'm usually way too busy to be unlocking the door just to tell people something they could read on a sign so it's been pissing my off for like 2 years now. But I hadn't thought about it for the thread before. Thanks, ToxicSlurpee, for the restaurant hours post to make me think of this.

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Jul 4, 2017

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

You Are A Elf posted:

People at a store checkout who have a basket full of items and put one thing at a time on the conveyor as slowly as possible. The same people always have everything spread out on the conveyor instead of efficiently packing it all together so there's these big gaps of space and you're sitting there waiting and you could start putting you poo poo on the conveyor if only their poo poo was packed more closely but you've got to sit there and watch them put on the conveyor a bottle of shampoo *gap* and a loaf of bread *gap* and a container of milk *gap* and a stick of butter *gap* and a can of beans *gap* and another can of beans *gap* and another can of beans *gap* and a head of cabbage *gap* and one white onion *gap* and some furniture polish *gap* and a box of cereal *gap* and a bag of chips *gap* and AAAAAAARRRRRGH.

I was behind a woman the other day who, while only buying a handful of items, was really chatty with the cashier and didn't let the fact that everything had been rung up stop her from chit chatting. And then once she was done talking, went digging through her purse and wrote a check for $16.84.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
When Americans (usually fedora wearing neckbeard Americans) really pronounce the "r" in "arse", and insert the word into their regular vocabulary, replacing "rear end". I'm assuming they think they sound cool and worldly, but it just shows that they have no idea how people in other English speaking countries pronounce their words.

For the record, I'm an American. We don't spell it that way, and no one but obnoxious Americans pronounce it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Also Irish people, and people from southwest England, parts of the West Country, parts of west Lancashire, or Newfoundland.

I suppose I'm a typical ignorant American. It's still obnoxious when neckbeard-americans say it.

• Locked thread