Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm the only left handed person in my family, and I'm the only one who uses knife in left hand fork in right. Everyone else does it the other way around to the extent that at family meals I have to switch the positions of the cutlery at my place so it goes with the "correct" hands for me. I think it's because cutting is harder work than forking so I use my dominant hand to cut through the food before moving it with my right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sociopastry posted:

Chill.

Also people who don't read the instructions/tutorials for a game and then get frustrated that they don't know how to play. Like, dude, if you'd just take the minute to read the instructions you'd be having a lot more fun right now.

I hate when someone is just not letting the game teach them and then calls the game bad. Like when they're not paying attention when recording a blind LP and are just out to make fun of the game, fine, but don't start blaming the game if your making poor use of a mechanic that you intentionally skipped the tutorial for.

It makes the game look bad, even if it is somewhat fun when actually engaging with it on it's own terms. Let the game try to engage you, if it fails, then rail on it. But if you aren't going to pay attention to the game telling you mechanics that make it easier on you, or claiming that the plot is nonexistent when the audience can easily piece it together, then that's not playing fair.

That's why I enjoy Pork Lift and wateyad's work so much, they give the game a chance to engage them, then when it fails they make fun of why it failed. In Star Ocean 4, they know the mechanics, they use blindsides when appropriate and explore the areas for treasures, do some sidequests when they can be bothered - they are letting the game try to engage them. Most of the time it fails and they get (rightfully) annoyed by it, but sometimes some little thing, like a wonky animation, allows them to start enjoying themselves again. They let their games try and fail.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always hate those stupid memes that are like "Oh god, I had to go to do a thing, I had to put on pants! FWP amirite!" I always feel weird when I'm not fully dressed and showered even if I have nowhere to be, so it just brings total slobs to mind. It's nearly always trousers too, and you just know their the types of people who would probably stick to their leather couch. The whole "bachelors hang out in their apartments in their underwear" is an odd thing for me, because even on a nice day, you'd get cold at certain times of it. Maybe it's because I'm in Britain where we're used to cold weather...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lol if you wear pants in your own home

I mean I do the showering part, I just don't get dressed until I gotta be somewhere. Clothes are, by-and-large, less comfortable than no clothes.

I disagree, I prefer to be dressed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Generally people who can't just enjoy something without adding ironic caveats. I enjoy some bad games, but what I enjoy about them is the good aspects that sometimes come up. I don't play it to laugh at the poor controls or complain about the muddy graphics, I often play for interesting world building or advancement systems. Just let yourself enjoy what you enjoy without having to prove something to your peers, even if it's generically written. I enjoy a few sitcoms, I know they aren't very good but some characters still get a laugh so fine. Hell, I know Repo: The Genetic Opera is terrible as a movie but I like a few of the songs and Anthony Stewart Head's performance.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

I think it's worse. I can wash my own hands, but I can't pick up every piece of litter I have to see.

I tend to go the other way - I put my trash in my coat pockets just to get it out of my hands but then forget about it, so a month later I'll be emptying chocolate wrappers into a random bin, straight from my pockets. I must look like a crazy person. At least I'm not littering! :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

To be fair you don't know how bad it is. There might be danger of an Avalanche :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On the topic of directions using google maps actually to me turned around once. I printed the route off and went to where it started, then slavishly followed the directions given. When I saw my destination I kicked myself - I had literally done a complete circuit. If I'd just turned around I would have realised that I was already there!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think that this is part of the reason I appreciate Dylan Moran's standup - he knows that his smoking habit is a dumb one and plays to it with phrases like "I inserted my breakfast and lit it" and "I used to frequent cafe's, looking, for the american to smoke on!". I think my personal favourite line regarding it is in response to "Are you going to smoke that?": "Yes, but I'm not going to enjoy it. I'm only using it to LIGHT THE NEXT ONE :byodood:"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Denis Leary was fine in the movies he was in in the 90s, his rants were really well delivered in Demolition Man and Small Soldiers, but he's kind of dull as a comedian. George Carlin was more biting, and Dylan Moran has a magical way with words that allow him to weave amusing turns of phrase, like his views on eggs "They're not even a food! Just farts coated in substance..." or Breakfasts "Slices of dead pig, tubes of dead pig, some fungus and a chicken's period on a plate. LIES AND CORRUPTION!". Drunken idiot is his act but he has mastered it with his delivery.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm the idiot who actually kinda liked Click. The hospital scene and ending got me, I'll admit it.

One weird thing I'll never get - people who fall asleep listening to music or watching a movie/asmr video. I always need to make sure everything is turned off before I go to bed to avoid wasting power, leaving a device on all night would get to me badly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I guess, to make this post more relevant, my personal Obnoxious thing is unwarranted elitism.

I'm not sure if it's a broken clock situation or just this site being somewhat elitist but there are a few old youtubers that I don't mind as much as most people seem to. I thought, for example, that despite his persona Darknessthecurse's old reviews had some merit (although his channel no longer exists) - his look at the Barney game that he did was somewhat fair - he considered it a good game for children, but didn't himself like it, because he was around 23 when he did that one. As he put it "I shouldn't like it. It would be really creepy if I did like it!"

Also I've enjoyed some of College Humour's recent work, I feel they have a good grasp on escalation, like in the "How tall is Grant?" video where the varying relative heights of the cast were played off with extreme results, like tiny Grant sitting on Zak's shoulder, or Katie's legs filling the room in the next shot. The rapidfire composition complete with the surreal ending really worked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXi_rvD6r10 (The final 40 seconds are irrelevant, part of a larger joke in which Mike Trapp killed Pat to stage a "True Crimes" documentary about his murder so he could make money off of it. Not so much an Arc but a "former sketch that is having ongoing consequences". The documentary was it's own sketch that they call back to sometimes with this narrative, and it's never more than a few seconds long, nowhere near Linkara levels of garbage)

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:36 on May 4, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always get reciepts, even for small purchases, because I pay entirely by card so it helps me budget (some transactions don't update on the bank statements until the next day, causing inconsistencies.).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I have the opposite problem - I prefer to have my seat higher so that my knees are at a 90 degree angle (I had back pain due to bad posture), but everyone else bumps their chairs down to the lowest possible setting. Some of them are fairly tall, they just like to stretch their legs as far as possible I guess.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's where I sit 40-50+ hours a week. Why would I not want a comfortable chair, and why should I have to go hunting from office to office for my chair every couple days? I have better things to do with my time at work. How would you feel if someone swapped your brand new 30" work monitor for an old 15" one? Is my mouse and keyboard fair game too? I mean, you can just go get a different one no problem right? Why be territorial about tools you need to do the job you were hired to do?

Also where I work we have three different types of chair- one type adjusts a bit less well than my preferred type and has a different slant to the seat that I find uncomfortable, and the other is really weird to try to adjust, has a back that's way too high and a really intrusive headrest.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Tiggum posted:

People spreading this myth is an obnoxious little thing that makes me unreasonably angry.

Why, which one are you?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Ugh, that's awful. I just have a weak immune system and a weak stomach, so puke makes me puke and even colds give me severe illnesses that lasts for over a month.

Similar thing happened to delay me being discharged after my Appendectomy. I tend to have a strong revulsion to Cigarette smoke, and as I was leaving the hospital we took the elevator - some idiot had used it while reeking of cheap cigarette smoke so I vomited again in the courtyard, and because all the bile had yet5 to be purged I was brought back in for observation for another hour. Really annoying, as I'd already lost like a week or two recovering there after my operation because the appendix had ruptured. If I'd left the doctors visit any later it would apaprently have burst.

Also on the reaching into your lunchbox thing - that's when you slam the lid shut on their hands and say "I'm keeping these now".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The worst version of that is whenever I try to watch shows on KissCartoon - they disable the video until you turn off adblock and reload the page, but the ads slow the buffering to a crawl so you just hide them anyway. Completely pointless, they're still not getting my clicks. The only reason I use them is dubbedscene was compromised and is too dangerous to visit now due to redirect attempts.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wrong thread.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

I once worked with a girl named Jeopardy. Her childhood must have been great.

Why isn't Malcom in class Julia?

I'm afraid he's currently in Jeopardy!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

But everyone knows that that the leading cause of death! ...in Korean folklore... Still, be careful!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The only loud thing in my apartment is my boiler - it clicks all the time even when not being used, but it's quiet enough the neighbours can't hear it and I can keep the noise contained by closing all the doors.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something odd that I tend to do is get really infantile internally with certain items, like when I need to go get more scouring pads for washing dishes, I always think of them as "scrubbies", like "Oh right I need to buy more scrubbies later". It's just what I call them in my head and I have no idea why. Anyone else have that kind of oddity?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Rolo posted:

It took years for me to finally be an rear end in a top hat to a stranger over something I've dealt with every other loving day.

My full name is one letter off from a very famous TV character. And today it got brought up by some frat dude in a bookstore of all places. The lady behind the desk was really nice and I came off as a huge sperg.

:) Hi I have a pickup for Rolo.
:v: Hey bro did you say your name was [Person]?
:geno: Jesus... no.
:v: Anyone ever ask you that?
:geno: Every time anyone sees my ID or asks for my name. Every single time. Thanks.

Sometimes they'll just start spouting references and quotes of the show like I have it memorized. I'm not the fictional character, what the hell are you expecting me to do in this situation?

Learn from me: if you ever meet someone with a name like Harry Botter or something, just leave them alone about it.

I see - your name is Yolo! :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think it's for emphasis - don't call me x, x no longer exists. It's not a matter of preference, x is dead. There is no x anymore. Going with "preferred" name or something less drastic may result in people not quite 'getting' it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

Pretty much this. People view it more like a "oh they won't mind if I use this name, they just like the other name better" instead of "if I use this name I'm being a giant shithead and misgendering them".

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but I think a part of the confusion comes from the idea of Transition - that you were one, now you're the other when if fact you were always the second one. It isn't a "transition" so much as a mismatch in brain chemistry and physiology - changing the brain is nearly impossible and the ways we do have are messy and dangerous so we don't touch the brain - we get the body to match instead.

Is that kind of the idea? I'm a cis-male who is trying to get his head around it so if I'm going off a false assumption let me know.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I hate those daytime TV shows like Dr Phil, Oprah, Jerry Springer and Jeremy Kyle because they never seem to be trying to actually help anyone. They just escalate the arguments and get shouty back which is only going to piss off their guests victims even more and render whatever problem that they're having unsolvable. Also none of them have any useful credentials, they all just idiots who are good at yelling. Any successes they do have seem purely accidental.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm enjoying Lindsey's take on the Transformers franchise - an 8-ish part video essay called The Whole Plate as a reference to a particularly stupid line in one of the movies. The third part is interesting "Why is it so hard to remember what happened in these movies?" She posits that it's because Bay gives every aspect of every frame the maximum amount of attention it could get, so the brain gets overloaded and cannot decide what's important information so discards the entire thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like her li'l breakdown in the fourth one where she corpses hard on the line "I am more sure that Aliens have Nerds than of the future of our civilization."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

"The man punted Baxter!" :qq:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Glazier posted:

It’s amazing because like Cassandra he could see the future, yet could not avoid it.

I like to imagine that if she'd survived Troy she would have become the smuggest person in Greece. "I know, I know... you don't believe me due to my curse, and you never will... but remember what happened to the last city who "didn't believe me?" "Uuuggghhhh...Goooodddd... They were razed to the ground by enemy forces..." "Exactly.So even if you don't believe me, maybe preparing would be prudent regardless? If not, I'll be over on that hill if you need me... with my popcorn, watching and laughing..."

Either that or the ultimate Nihilist, completely giving no shits about anyone because they're all doomed to die of their own stupidity anyway.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Aug 2, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That's common on the phone, it's so that you don't get, say, D, B and P mixed up. Especially good for serial numbers - otherwise the conversation becomes: "Did you say 35B?" "No, D!" "B? P? Which letter?"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh, I thought of one. This doesn't come up much anymore since I escaped retail.

The way people give out phone numbers. Like, if a phone number is say... 555-1819. I ask what their phone number is to lookup their account or whatever. They say "five five five eighteen nineteen." So I end up typing 555-8 and then have to delete and reask. Just say each individual number you rear end in a top hat!

You'd probably enjoy this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVPZAXMCasI

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

As someone with a name containing the letters B, P, T, and G, and who frequently gets ASKED to spell my name sloooooowly using this system, you are not wrong but you're underestimating how much sounds alike. My name is the most Anglo-Saxon goddang thing, and I have to spell it every. time. full stop.

That said, the first few times this happened to me I was so flustered I just chose random crap to represent the letters, and now they've stuck. SORRY PHONE PEOPLE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XfIFjCwUBI

Reminds me of this standup clip :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

You Are A Elf posted:

Walking down a narrow sidewalk or what have you with a couple holding hands coming in the opposite direction. Would it loving kill you guys to let go of each other's hands for a couple of seconds so I can pass by smoothly so we're both not doing the awkward "who's going first?" dance? He's not going to cheat on you the moment your hands cease to touch, and ditto with leaving you for another man the instant skin contact ends, so just let go of each other's hands for a couple of seconds and let me pass!

Unless of course, they can't let go since it's a freak super glue accident and they're walking to someplace that can rectify the situation, in which case I'm terribly sorry, and carry on.

Yes it would have killed us! I was with my conjoined twin rear end in a top hat! :mad:

• Locked thread