Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Tiggum posted:

Not leaving the room to take a phone call. I'll turn down the music and be quiet if you just need to give a couple of quick answers, but as soon as it becomes clear that this is going to be an extended discussion, go to another room so the rest of us can get on with whatever we're doing.

Then after getting off the phone, they proceed to tell you what the conversation was about. I already know what you talked about, I heard the entire thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You guys must have some delicious cough syrup down there if you think it tastes like root beer.

I heard the root beer/cough syrup comparison from an Australian girl I used to know, and I also heard the same thing about vanilla from a Taiwanese guy, so root beer floats are my go-to remedy whenever I feel a sore throat coming on. It works.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The restaurant I work at does deliveries. More often than you'd think, those deliveries are cancelled after we've made the order. When that happens, the food is put in the back for the staff to freely eat.
It's surreal seeing the entire wait staff progress past the kitchen, as the kitchen itself becomes a ghost town. I'll often be stuck dealing with bills by myself.
They will literally abandon their duties on the spot to stuff their faces. These people are either perpetually starving or I work with vultures in human suits.
The same goes for when mistakes are made. If a customer* orders X and the cook makes Y, then it's up for grabs. This leads to repeat offenders, and it's obvious as hell. Like "Oh man I've worked here for 6 years how could I make such a foolish mistake every other day? But my goodness does that look good!" kind of obvious.

*I mean guest. When you go to a restaurant you are referred to as a guest. Because I know that when I have guest over I charge them for everything I can think of, up to and including extra salt and pepper.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 19:54 on May 1, 2017

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

People who constantly point out mistakes their coworkers have made, rather than focusing on the right things they've done. For example, I work with a guy who is still fairly new in the kitchen, and every single time he makes a mistake he seems to get a barrage of people calling him an idiot. But the dude is trying his best, and more often than not gets everything correct. However, I personally have noticed him making more and more mistakes as the days go by, causing him to get yelled at more. It's almost like if you make a person think they're only going to gently caress up, they're going to gently caress up. I try to tell him "great job" after every dinner rush, but I'm worried it's not going to be enough after a while.

On a sort of related note, it bugs me when people use terms like "negative reinforcement" and have no idea what it means. Admittedly, it's been many years since I studied psychology, but there are four major ones: positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, positive punishment, and negative punishment. "Positive" and "negative" do not denote the goodness or badness of the action, they just mean whether something was given or taken away.
For example, spraying a dog with a water bottle when it tears up your couch is not negative reinforcement, it is positive punishment. Positive because you are giving something to the dog (the spray of water), punishment because you are attempting to correct the behaviour through a means the dog will not like.
Taking a toy away from a child who is acting up in class is negative punishment.
Telling a guy at work he's doing a good job when he's clearly trying his best is positive reinforcement.
I don't think it's that difficult of a concept :shrug:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My cousin recently had a daughter. She named her Fall.
I asked why, and she said because her favourite season is fall. I asked "Why not Autumn then?" and she rolled her eyes and told me that so many girls are named Autumn, but never Fall. Yeah, there's probably a good reason for that.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I used to work at a laser tag place that held birthday parties. The package came with two large pizzas. Sometimes the parents would order a third, then become completely baffled that they were being charged more. How do people like this live until adulthood AND manage to reproduce?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Sociopastry posted:

I've never gotten that, either. I'm not good at math and it haunts me every day. I don't like feeling like an idiot because it takes me twice as long to do simple problems. :smith: The numbers always jump around on me, so 32 is 23 or whatever. Takes me ages to do simple maths because of it. I always feel like the biggest idiot and get all flushed and flustered and it takes even longer and

it's just miserable.

Perhaps you're dyslexic?

Speaking of computers, sometimes my dad will ask me to do something on his computer for him. He'll watch over my shoulder as I go through the process, constantly telling me to slow down because he can't follow what I'm doing. Seriously dad, speaking from previous experience with you, even if I go at a snail's pace and explain to you every click I make and every letter I type you'll never remember what I did. Just sit back and be happy you don't have to pay a guy to fix your computer issues for you.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Slime posted:

When people tell off children/pets for making noise/a disturbance and are actually straight up louder than them anyway, thus waking up people who weren't actually bothered by the original noise.

Due to our work schedules, my girlfriend and I usually stay up quite late. She'll often call out to her cat to cuddle with her, and get progressively louder until she's yelling the cat's name. At like 2 or 3 in the morning. I've tried to explain to her that he's a cat, that he's not going to come at her command, but she insists he does it whenever I'm not around. Maybe it's true, I don't know, but I DO know that she's probably pissing off our neighbours in the adjoining apartments.

Sailor Jerry posted:

There is a small development built around an artificial lake on the main road that heads to my rural home. People who live there will consistently turn off the highway then proceed to travel at 10-15 miles per hour for about half of a mile to a railroad crossing then slowing to 5 mph at the crossing just before their turn. They will stay at that speed until they turn on their signal mid turn.

These aren't all elderly people who simply have slower reaction times. They're 30-50 year old average people. I don't know what to do to convince them to go faster on this wide rural road. I tailgate in an obnoxious way (since it is a 55 mph zone). I can't pass due to the traffic and a hill so I have to suffer for the 2 minutes it takes them to drive to the entrance.

I end up angry enough to want to slam into their big "hemi-powered" pickup trucks in my pathetic car. I just end up driving at 80 mph for the 4 remaining miles to my house.

Sailor Jerry posted:

The only intersection is the turnoff to the development. There's maybe 2 driveways for the remaining 2 miles before it ends at a tee. There is no reason not to go fast since the road is wide enough to allow semi-trailers to pass easily. There are no accidents on that road that I can remember other than hitting a deer at night. So, I'm unreasonably angry at people who should know better than to risk accidents by going incredibly slow at the bottom of a hill on a busy road.

You seem like a really cool person. I too like to endanger the lives of other people and kill animals to shave a few minutes off of my commute.

Tiggum posted:

And her siblings Nancy and Poofter?

:lol:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

A guy at work has a habit of just disappearing for 20 minutes at a time, at least once an hour. Always at the busiest times during the dinner rush. My supervisor has called him out on it a few times, but he just becomes confrontational with her. For some reason, this causes her to drop the subject and then she complains to me about it later.
What really pissed me off, though, is what he did yesterday. He was gone for nearly an hour while she and I were working on closing the kitchen. When he sauntered back in, she asked where he'd been, and he looked up at the screen.
"HAHA there aren't even any orders!" He laughed and started to walk out of the kitchen again. I flipped out at him. I yelled at him that there was a lot of cleaning to be done, that just because he wasn't closing didn't mean he could slack off. That I'd had enough of his attitude.
He looked at me with his stupid usual cocky smirk, said "You're not my boss," and went back outside.
Little does he know that I am getting a promotion in just a few days, when my current supervisor leaves. I WILL be his boss. And I will not be putting up with his bullshit. This is going to be fun, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Sometimes I'll be walking down the sidewalk and I see someone ahead of me that's stopped, doing something or other, and they don't move until moving would put them directly in my way. What the gently caress is up with that?

Yes. It's a sidewalk, not a sidestand. Move.

• Locked thread