Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

yo rear end is grass posted:

People who constantly point out mistakes their coworkers have made, rather than focusing on the right things they've done. For example, I work with a guy who is still fairly new in the kitchen, and every single time he makes a mistake he seems to get a barrage of people calling him an idiot. But the dude is trying his best, and more often than not gets everything correct. However, I personally have noticed him making more and more mistakes as the days go by, causing him to get yelled at more. It's almost like if you make a person think they're only going to gently caress up, they're going to gently caress up. I try to tell him "great job" after every dinner rush, but I'm worried it's not going to be enough after a while.

This reminds me of the mid to late parts of my painting apprenticeship.

When you're at the point where you can leave a good result but because you're still an apprentice, people want to impart their own way of doing things.

Normally you adopt your masters style or a similar style. Then a different journeyman will show up and correct the style you're using with their style. So you can spend day after day being constantly corrected by different people. While at the same time the results of the work is good.

It really gnaws at the confidence. Usually the only way to get away from it is to start at a new company after finishing your journeyman test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Cowslips Warren posted:

We're joint DMs. It works better that way so far...

It's just maddening. There were a few games she made up and they just went nowhere fast. When the main NPCs keep changing the reasons they do what they do, and it's not mind control, it's just the DM not planning ahead beyond "this sounds cool, right?" So now I make the bulk of them, with her input, and sometimes it's easier to compromise. IE, we had some plague game going, and my thought was, you know, people sure it's the end of times, we're gonna see a lot of cults and human sacrifice and poo poo. People desperate to survive. And she was more "nah, I don't see that happening. Maybe at first but it's been like six months and the plague has an incubation time of like a month in a person, and there's no way to tell you have it till you start acting rabid, so yeah, I think poo poo has calmed down."

Trying to explain, no, poo poo would be worse, just led to the doubling down of "NO I think everything would be fine!"

Nothing sparks a good evening of adventure like "everything is fine"

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah god forbid we use the thing that is the most reliable and works the most with our forums software, it makes us so much better to use retarded things like tinypic for no logical reason.

Or photobucket. I still don't know how that page works. You glimpse the image for a second and then the page goes white. Is it some ad popup that's failing to load?

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
When you text someone because you need to tell them something but you're either not in a place where you can make a call. Don't have time for a call or you really don't want to talk to them. And they respond by calling you instead of texting a reply :feelsbad:

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

The Moon Monster posted:

"Catte" "Dogge"

gently caress off

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Slime posted:

Catberry? More like Catteberry

Mods!

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

om nom nom posted:

I can't imagine that kind of cigarette habit, the "I go out for short bursts, as long as I can manage without a cigarette." I smoked for ~10 years and not almost 40, but if I was occupied it was always 2-3hrs between smokes, working as a chef was no smokes during the dinner rush (not like thats a rule it's just impossible), and sure that smoke afterwards was the best one all day, but even with a very real nicotine addiction I didn't really think about it until I was walking outside to my break, there was certainly never a time that I thought about changing careers or altering my life to accommodate more smoking. If I was sitting outside with a beer, sure I'd have them much more frequently, maybe playing video games on the weekend I'd have a smoke every hour, but it sounds like she is lighting a new cigarette off of the last one all day long. That's commitment to loving up your lungs.

Even when I was a smoker, stale nicotine smells fuckin gross. My habit came after most bars and restaurants were none smoking( I do remember my parents being asked smoking or non smoking as a kid), but I was always happy to go outside for a cigarette after my meal rather than have the whole place stink and ruin my meal. I can see bars that only do alcohol, no food, be proprietor's choice as far as smoking goes, but any other indoor public place, good riddance.

I guess I just can't imagine someone's life revolving around cigarettes like that. To not even be willing to cut back a bit so you can leave the house. To just become a cigarette hermit, smoking your several packs a day alone at home and blaming everyone else.

I used to work with a guy who couldn't take a 30 min car ride without needing to stop after 15 minutes for a smoke. And even then he had a smoke right before stepping in and another smoke stepping out of the car.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
In the great irony of it all. Vaping is gradually becoming banned in work places and other establishments because vapers are taking what little freedom they had too far and becoming a real nuisance. Insisting on repeating the sins of the father.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Rolo posted:

This is so funny to me. I'm a pilot who used to smoke and I loved the idea of people being able to buy an e-cig and harmlessly get a bump of nicotine while on a long flight.

Jackasses proceed to make huge clouds for no reason with big unstable batteries, poo poo is now not ok on planes.

Thanks, nerds.

I saw something like that a few days ago. A guy was launching clouds that were easily a meter long and half a meter wide. Looked like a steam engine.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

cyberia posted:

People who talk about 'my lawyer' can go gently caress themselves. Dude, you're quibbling over a fifty dollar invoice, I highly doubt you have a lawyer on retainer. Just the idea that by invoking the threat of 'my lawyer' means you don't have to play by the rules that everyone else does is so petty. Pay your bill and get out of here you trash person.

I had a lawyer once when I evicted a tenant. We talked for 15 minutes and she charged me $400.

May I never need one again.

On topic:

Stores that open after the listed time. We all have phone clocks synched up to some world time lord now and so everyone has the one and only "time"

So when a store is set to open at 10:00 I show up at 9:50 and wait in my car. At 10:00 some guy runs up to the door and fiddles a bit before walking away. I walk up to the door and pull the handle and it's not even open. Instead he returns at 10:03 or 10:05 and opens up while I stand in the cold looking into my phone like a loving lemon.

If I ever own a store I will tell the staff to open 5 minutes before it says we open.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Jul 4, 2017

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Detective No. 27 posted:

Reading news sites on mobile is hell these days. So many goddamn ads and pop ups and bullshit.

Firefox for android has a working ad blocker. It's the main reason I switched from Chrome.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
People who expect you to interact with their kids. Like giving their kids little shoves and going "why don't you tell that funny joke you told yesterday"

Like gently caress. I don't want to hear it. The kid really doesn't want to tell it on cue. The kid just wants to go off and play with his toys or videogames.

It's like there are adults who don't remember being kids and how much these things sucked from a kids perspective.

These are the kids who have to lock themselves in their rooms when mom has company over because they can't go to the bathroom without being called over to interact with adults.

I remember being a kid and how until I was about 13 I just assumed that people could only remember stuff for 30 or so years and that all the adults had just forgotten entirely what it was like to be a kid. Judging by how bad they all are at interacting with or dealing with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

The Snoo posted:

aw yeah neighbors vacuuming their apartment at 10 minutes before midnight 👌👌👌👌

e: I'm not that mad, just like '????' and this isn't the pet peeves thread whoops

Had one of those. Would also sort aluminum cans at night because why not.

• Locked thread