Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
People that stand in the middle of foot traffic while talking on their phones. Don't block people and don't make people walk around you. You can take a few steps to the left or right or lean against a wall or something just get your self out of the drat way if you want to be still and talk.

There is an obvious exception for somebody asking for directions or being told to look for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
"You didn't reply to my text message fast enough!"

My cell phone is for MY convenience. It is not for YOURS. I'll reply when I'm good and damned ready. I might be busy. I might be asleep. I might be making GBS threads. Hell I might be currently looking for my phone because I misplaced it again so I can see if anybody wants my attention.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

When a customer walks up and talks at me when I'm in the middle of helping another customer. gently caress right off, I'm helping someone else, and you're being doubly rude by ignoring my current customer. Oh excuse me, patient, because this is medical so you're ALSO violating their privacy. Had an absolute bitch try to do this the other day where she cut in front of five others because it was "just a quick question" then tried to complain to the management. Jokes on her, my current patient was a home care nurse who read her the riot act. I can't wrap my head around entitled jerks. One of these days she's going to pull that stunt and someone in line on their last nerve will do a lot more than yell.

I'm going to assume you're American but really we have a culture that encourages that behavior. Narcissism has always existed but in America it's suddenly become perfectly normal and socially acceptable. Encouraged, even.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

InequalityGodzilla posted:

It really does feel like that's kind of a uniquely American thing. I've spent some time abroad in Canada and Europe and got the feeling that doing something like that would be unthinkable.

I think it arose from a combination of our society being so drat self-absorbed and businesses deciding that the way to get more customers in is to just give them whatever they want. Our customer service, like...everything is geared toward never doing anything at all that could irritate a customer in the slightest way. Meanwhile a number of companies just hand out coupons, free stuff, discounts, and whatever like candy for every single complaint, ever. So a society of self-centered people with poor morals have all been taught that if you complain long enough or loud enough you'll get both your own way and a free pie.

So of course you have people that lose their minds at the slightest provocation.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Men are pieces of poo poo and half the time it's laziness and the other half is intentional. I used to work construction and people would straight up sabatoge the port o potties by making GBS threads on the seat and smearing it around or burning holes in the bottom of the urinal so you piss on your feet.

My favorite bathroom rear end in a top hat is the guy that covers the seat in toilet paper because they are too germaphobic to sit on the seat, but then leaves the sat on toilet paper for the next guy to clean up.

I used to clean bathrooms for a living.

Neither gender respects bathrooms or anybody else that had to use them. Humans in general are just loving gross.

Granted we also have a society that encourages men to be horrible jerks that make others miserable like that and laugh about it. I imagine construction workers feel the need to be macho and assert their dominance like that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The professional version of that is managers who turn everything into a huge drama. You can't let them know what's happening because they will turn a minor issue you can fix directly in an hour or so into a massive production with spreadsheets and half-hourly status updates.

Even worse: now that said problem has been fixed we must now have several two hour long meetings about preventing said problem from happening ever again.

...even though it probably won't happen again for months and will again only take an hour to fix so you've just wasted a poo poo load of time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

The USA sucks poo poo.

It's interesting to see American businesses try to figure out an answer to "how do we motivate people to be super ultra productive 60 hours a week while being paid beans with no benefits?" that's anything other than "you loving don't."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Corrode posted:

Where I used to live there was a woman a few doors down who would scream at her kids all drat evening from like 5pm until 10-11. The kids did not give the slightest poo poo because screaming everything at the top of her voice was Just What Mummy Does but hearing her annoyed the poo poo out of us. Truly terrible parenting.

My experience has been that the loudest parents are usually the laziest. It goes beyond "Just What Mommy Does" and right into "no matter how many times she threatens things she never does so we can get away with literally everything." Then mom blames the children for being shits because she tries to control them but they refuse to listen!

They refuse to listen because they know there are zero actual repercussions for whatever they do. Then they grow up to be awful people who keep acting like that. Needless to say many of them end up in jail.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

My wife's previous workplace actually gave everyone the day off on their birthday, it was really nice and it also saved the office from having to do any stupid social committee birthday bullshit where your manager gets a cake or passes a card around or any of that poo poo no one cares about. I think it was a good policy.

Actually I'm pretty sure people like the cake and will awkwardly sing a bad Happy Birthday if there is cake at the end of it.

Basically every single other thing in existence an office will do for a birthday is terrible however.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Anybody who walks in to a store or restaurant a minute before they close and asks "hey are you still open?" is probably a terrible person. I'm willing to excuse "oh gently caress sorry I really need *thing* right now it's all I need I'll buy it and get out of your hair as quickly as I can" but it's very rarely that. Mostly it's "closing time means that if I get there a nanosecond before that then I can take all the time I need."

I worked in a restaurant that closed at midnight. It was a constant frustration for people to come in at 11:58 and be all like "hey you're still open, right?" and demand to be served. gently caress you. I hate you. I want to go home but now I have to wait an extra hour to take care of you then clean up the mess you'll invariably leave. Go away.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

I used to work at a car rental place. One Sunday I got a call from a woman at 1030. She said her car was due back at 1045 but she was about 30 minutes behind. We were open until 2 and we didn't need it back so I said it's fine just have it back by 2 and I won't charge anything extra. 11 went by and noon and 1 and I closed at 2 and left. The next morning the car was left overnight and I charged her for the day. An hour later she calls me in a rage saying she was told she had till 2 to return it at no charge and she was there at 1:50 but we had closed so it's not her fault and shouldn't be charged. I told her I was the guy she talked to, we were open till 2 and we had cameras and she came by at 2:07. This bitch started SCREAMING about her lawyer and a lawsuit and when I asked her why she said she would be back by 11 yesterday morning but somehow showed up minutes after we closed she had a meltdown. Anyways the place didn't have scripts or anything like that so I started laughing which made her angrier and she swore she would be there within an hour but never showed up.

Welp bye

People like that are accustomed to places that will just give you your way at the slightest hint of displeasure. It's probably the worst part of dealing with the American public; we've trained people to scream, yell, complain, and bitch until they get something free or get to just poo poo all over the rules and the staff. Then they run into a place that won't put up with poo poo like that and are confused. It's where that whole "I want to speak to a manager" stereotype comes from. These are people that will lie their faces off because they know customer service is taught to never, ever question a customer, inconvenience them, or piss them off in any way, even if the employee knows they're in the right and has proof sitting right there in front of them. Nope! The customer is always right and must be pleased at all costs.

It warms my cold, stone heart every time a customer gets "lol gently caress you pay up" in a situation like that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

om nom nom posted:

Similarly, I work in a restaurant that's only open for dinner, at 4 pm. I run the prep crew and do all of our purchasing among other things, so I spend a fair amount of time out in the seating area on the phone. The amount of people who pull on the door, peer in the door, pull again, walk around the building to the other side, pull on the door, see me, knock frantically and wave, then when i walk over figuring they're the new beer delivery guy or something go "hey, are you open?", is absolutely astounding. The hours are posted on both of the doors that you pulled on. We literally make all of our money from people being able to come in and eat a meal when we are serving them. If we wanted you in here, you wouldn't have to exert a bunch of effort and wind up with someone in a chef coat, holding a clipboard opening the door 6 inches not being particularly polite and giving you a weird look.

During my restaurant days I worked at a place that closed at 4 p.m. on Christmas Eve. We were closed on Christmas. Now, most people loathed that closing shift on Christmas Eve for basically that reason; the doors locked at 4 p.m. Of course a horde of people showed up at 3:55 anyway.

I specifically requested that shift. I would gleefully and happily work until 8 p.m. every Christmas Eve specifically for the schadenfreude of people being extremely confused at the different from usual hours. I'd stay until midnight if I had to; I don't think there was anything as satisfying as watching people be extremely confused that the place closed early on Christmas Eve. There would be a huge loving sign up before Thanksgiving detailing holiday hours. It wasn't a mystery. It was the same every year; hey you fucks it turns out restaurant employees had families too which they might actually like to see.

And yet...like clockwork...people would show up at 4:05 p.m. on December 24th and be extremely confused when the door was locked. They'd tug on the door, look at each other, tug on it again, look at each other some more, look at the parking lot, and then finally after five or so minutes of looking at the door WITH THE GIGANTIC HOLIDAY HOURS SIGN ON IT notice that we were, in fact, keeping non-standard hours during the holidays. Of course people would force their way in at 4:30 and demand to be served as others were leaving only to be turned away. They'd of course complain to corporate who would say "sorry but we closed at 4. If you showed up after four then no service for you." Needless to say people would call every holiday and lose their drat minds over the fact that we were closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas. We'd even go so far as to let employees go sit up on the roof when fireworks were still going off on July 4th. Restaurant employees are human too and gently caress you we also get holidays.

It was a small thing but my absolute favorite shift to work every year was Christmas Eve closing just to feast on the Grade A Prime Unfiltered Schadenfreude. I haven't celebrated much of anything in over a decade but I will always have fond memories of feasting on the delicious misery of people demanding other people giving up their holidays. Yes it's petty as gently caress but my goodness was it delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bogan King posted:

Even here in Australia you'll get places trying to skirt around that poo poo so I figured USA was completely bullshit insane about it.

It depends on the company. Very big companies generally won't do it as that's just begging for a class action lawsuit. If it turned out Walmart was doing that you'd bet your rear end you'd have lawyers salivating over the opportunity to get a piece of the payout because it would be huge.

Smaller places are probably not worth suing over it and it can be a hard thing to prove sometimes. It also varies by state how easy it is to get away with it. I had a convenience store job where I ran into that issue but it was like 5 minutes at the end of the day to count my till. The way they did their hours was based on when you were logged in to the register. In retrospect I should have reported it or complained but :effort:.

In my restaurant days I got told that I had to be in 15 to 30 minutes before my shift "in case they needed me" and to get my poo poo ready for the shift. My response was "if you want me in 15 to 30 minutes early schedule me 15 to 30 minutes early and pay me." They never brought it up again.

• Locked thread