Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pastry of the Year posted:

I have literally heard people defend intentionally chewing open-mouthed because of this bonkers magical thinking by which, and I'm paraphrasing, "air mixing with the food as you chew it enhances its flavor." That's absolutely not how that works, but you have to appreciate the sort of logic a mildly inventive and utterly selfish 5-year-old child might employ to avoid having to change their behavior for the sake of courtesy.
In china they talk with their mouth full because the slight discomfort from seeing chewed food is outweighed by the overwhelming value of conversing with your friends. After putting a full 15 seconds of thought into this, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Chill the gently caress out there's no hurry you have plenty of time to shovel your fast food in your face once you get home no matter how long you spend in the parking lot.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Catberry posted:

Pedestrians who cross the road diagonally.

Like their destination is diagonally on the other side of the road. But instead of crossing the road quickly and then walking up to their destination via the sidewalk. They will instead cross the road diagonally leading to more cars having to slow down and wait for them to cross.

People who at a pedestrian crossing hit the button and then cross on a "red man" anyway (because there are no cars close by). Leaving the cars waiting at an empty crossing as the pedestrian has already crossed by the time the light changes.
People who are in such a hurry to get home and watch children's cartoons and eat chicken nuggets in their bare apartments that they bother to micromanage how many seconds they spend waiting at a red light. Pedestrians come first, always. This is war.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

lol if you wear pants in your own home

I mean I do the showering part, I just don't get dressed until I gotta be somewhere. Clothes are, by-and-large, less comfortable than no clothes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

People having their kids watch TV on phones/tablets in nice restaurants without using headphones. I understand your child has problems sitting still. I understand you don't get to go out as much as you used to. Please understand that Paw Patrol whining in the background is loving up the ambience of this restaurant with real wood tables, glass glasses, and no TVs on the wall.

People who play loud music/YouTube on public transit/airplanes without headphones. Especially airplanes because we're all stuck for at least 3 hours. I think half of these are inconsiderate people and half are doing some kind of hosed up dominance move to compensate for their lovely life.

I would prefer airline seats not recline at all, but since they do, I just hate people that go all the way back soon as possible after takeoff and leave it there until landing. I think it's inconsiderate, and I used to try to not recline even when people in front of me did, but I had to give that up for my own sanity. It bothers me that once one person reclines it causes a chain reaction and everyone behind them has to recline or suffer.

The very idea that someone enjoys "rolling coal" specifically to gently caress up other peoples breathing. I think such people are so irredeemably broken that the best thing we as a society can do is execute them. With smoke.

Dude the airplane with all the seats reclined doesn't have any less space with all the seats not reclined. You aren't using the foot of air in front of your head, but the guy in front of you could. Your solution just leaves everyone less comfortable.

I wish they didn't recline at all because they started all the way reclined. Just seems like a way to start fights over nothing, what good does having the choice do?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

People always say this, but I use that space to read books in. Also, I don't find all-the-way reclining to be particularly comfortable and the seat in front of me hovering over my lap makes me feel trapped and anxious.
I dunno I look down to read, I don't hold the book at eye level. The status quo is definitely a bummer for those, like yourself, who prefer not to recline, but I'm not sure what can be done about that and I do think you're in the minority. My goal on the airplane is to sleep and reclining helps with that.

Shot in the dark but I'm guessing your anxiety would be somewhat lessened if the seat started that way and you didn't have to think about the fact that SOMEBODY chose to put it there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cigarettes rule and I wish they weren't so bad for you so I could smoke more of them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bogan King posted:

This isn't the personally held bad opinion thread.
I'm simply trying to advertise my new book, The Joy of Smoking, in hopes of revitalizing cigarettes as an occasional indulgent treat enjoyed by the masses. Come to my cigarette tasting and book signing this Saturday, held just outside your favorite grocery store entrance.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

We hosted a ton of Japanese students when I was young. Getting them to try root beer for the first time was always hilarious. Apparently to them it tastes like cough syrup.
This Korean guy pointed out to me that root beer tastes like toothpaste, and I can't not taste it now. I still like it but it's like... tasty toothpaste.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

So what you're saying is, even if they don't like juvenile garbage, they should watch this particular juvenile garbage because it makes you personally feel nostalgic?

Maybe I hate fun, but life is too short to spend sitting in front of screens in silence watching stuff that doesn't, at the very least, inspire interesting and meaningful conversations. I don't think you're getting that from "waterboy".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People have different definitions of "juvenile garbage". Anyone who can't enjoy Happy Gilmore (and nostalgia has nothing to do with it) isn't someone I'd ever want to hang out with.

If you're trying to sound like the most smug rear end in a top hat imaginable, you're doing a great job by the way.
lol this is the smug rear end in a top hat thread, literally all of it, when in rome...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Corrode posted:

This is a pedant's argument which annoys me as much as "sportsball" and stuff. Fans are a way bigger part of a sports club or team than individual players are -fans show up when the team is shite and playing away in the rain at 7pm on a Tuesday, fans pay the money for tickets to games and watch on TV and buy the merchandise, and generally they stick with the club much longer than any individual player. Not to mention that plenty of fans are members of the club, or even owners if there's a supporters' trust or something in place. It's absolutely "we."
Why is it only sports then? Movie fans wait in the rain for midnight releases, show up when a sequel is shite, pay money for tickets and merchandise, and generally stick with movie series longer than any individual actor or director. They still don't say "we won the oscar" when the movie wins. Sometimes I will go see a band I like in concert even when they haven't made a new album in years and don't have much of a following any more but that doesn't mean I'm delusional enough to think I'm "part of" the band.

(My presumed answer is because is baked-in regionalism and the idea that athletes represent you is a big part of the marketing of sporting events, and playing to local rivalries sells tickets/merchandise/etc. Happy to hear your thoughts though.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS has a new favorite as of 16:49 on May 4, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The coen brothers made him work before it was cool.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Following teams that consistently display mastery of their discipline is a lot more appealing to me than following teams because their corporate headquarters is in my region.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

English should have a separate word for inclusive vs exclusive or. Sometimes the options really are "a", "b", or "a and b" and there's no clear, concise way to distinguish the two in english. ("and/or" is super awkward imo)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The chair by far the most important item at your desk and you'd be a fool to take it likely. How many thousands of dollars is like, another productive month out of your back or wrists? It's worth fretting about because it's Extremely Important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm gonna go to work if the alternative is using vacation days. That sick day policy is horrible especially if you're not allowed to work from home.

• Locked thread