Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
NO MODS

NO DOGS

NO MASTERS

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kitlers: A secret tool for the alt-right to take over Islam?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

It's an accepted opinion among Maliki jurists that dog saliva is not najis. Sorry OP.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The Zoroastrians thought that hedgehogs were dogs too, instead of hogs, like they obviously are.

1. Which is the good creature among the creatures of the Good Spirit that from midnight till the sun is up goes and kills thousands of the creatures of the Evil Spirit?

2. Ahura Mazda answered: 'The dog with the prickly back, with the long and thin muzzle, the dog Vanghapara1, which evil-speaking people call the Duzaka2; this is the good creature among the creatures of the Good Spirit [Spenta Mainyu -JHP] that from midnight till the sun is up goes and kills thousands of the creatures of the Evil Spirit.

3. 'And whosoever, O Zarathushtra! shall kill the dog with the prickly back, with the long and thin muzzle, the dog Vanghapara, which evil-speaking people call the Duzaka, kills his own soul for nine generations, nor shall he find a way over the Chinwad bridge3, unless he has, while alive, atoned for his sin4.'

4. O Maker of the material world, thou Holy One! If a man kill the dog with the prickly back, with the long and thin muzzle, the dog Vanghapara, which evil-speaking people call the Duzaka, what is the penalty that he shall pay?

Ahura Mazda answered: 'A thousand stripes with the Aspahe-astra, a thousand stripes with the Sraosho-charana.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
They also had laws and punishments for if a dog did something wrong

29. O Maker of the material world, thou Holy One! If there be in the house of a worshipper of Mazda a mad dog that bites without barking, what shall the worshippers of Mazda do?

30. Ahura Mazda answered: 'They shall put a wooden collar around his neck, and they shall tie thereto a muzzle, an asti25 thick if the wood be hard, two astis thick if it be soft. To that collar they shall tie it; by the two sides26 of the collar they shall tie it.

31. 'If they shall not do so, and the mad dog that bites without barking, smite a sheep or wound a man, the dog shall pay for the wound of the wounded as for wilful murder27.

32. 'If the dog shall smite a sheep or wound a man, they shall cut off his right ear.
'If he shall smite another sheep or wound another man, they shall cut off his left ear.

33. 'If he shall smite a third sheep or wound a third man, they shall make a cut in his right foot28. If he shall smite a fourth sheep or wound a fourth man, they shall make a cut in his left foot.

34. 'If he shall for the fifth time smite a sheep or wound a man, they shall cut off his tail.
'Therefore they shall tie a muzzle to the collar; by the two sides of the collar they shall tie it. If they shall not do so, and the mad dog that bites without barking, smite a sheep or wound a man, he shall pay for the wound of the wounded as for wilful murder.'

35. O Maker of the material world, thou Holy One! If there be in the house of a worshipper of Mazda a mad dog, who has no scent, what shall the worshippers of Mazda do?

Ahura Mazda answered: 'They shall attend him to heal him, in the same manner as they would do for one of the faithful.'

36. O Maker oi the material world, thou Holy One! If they try to heal him and fail, what shall the worshippers of Mazda do?

37. Ahura Mazda answered: 'They shall put a wooden collar around his neck, and they shall tie thereto a muzzle, an asti thick if the wood be hard, two astis thick if it be soft. To that collar they shall tie it; by the two sides of the collar they shall tie it.

38. 'If they shall not do so, the scentless dog may fall into a hole, or a well, or a precipice, or a river, or a canal, and come to grief: if he come to grief so, they shall be therefore Peshotanus.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Those punishments for dogs seem kinda barbaric until you realized that the punishment for people is being whipped 10000 times, when getting whipped 200 times with the Aspahe-astra was a death sentence. Also it's only a crime if the dog doesn't give you a warning before loving you up. As long as he barks, you obviously had it coming.

Behold the slayer of daemons.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Schizotek posted:

Those punishments for dogs seem kinda barbaric until you realized that the punishment for people is being whipped 10000 times, when getting whipped 200 times with the Aspahe-astra was a death sentence. Also it's only a crime if the dog doesn't give you a warning before loving you up. As long as he barks, you obviously had it coming.

So did they keep whipping the dead body another 9800 times to make sure justice was meted out? Or was the body recognized as just inert garbage after the life had fled?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

reignonyourparade posted:

Once saw a dog eat its own poo poo than throw up that poo poo and then eat it's own poo poo it just vomited up again.
And that dog's name...was the Republican Party.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
you know generally i'm down with zoroastrians and otters and i get the dog-cat rivalry

but who the gently caress hates tortoises enough to kill thousands of them

what did tortoises ever do to you

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Little known historical fact: Zoroaster was a nerd and he just liked big round numbers.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you know generally i'm down with zoroastrians and otters and i get the dog-cat rivalry

but who the gently caress hates tortoises enough to kill thousands of them

what did tortoises ever do to you

Reptilian life in general was considered wicked and unclean. Although nothing compared to their hatred of ants. Ants were considered a plague on mankind on the level of death itself, a great punishment sent by Angra Mainyu in retaliation against the beauty of Balkh. Hedgehogs were seen as holy as they were because not only did they devour ants nests, they did so at night, which in Zoroastrian eyes was basically invading hell itself to battle demons.

There's a text called Arda Virāz Nāmak, which is basically Dante's Inferno, where a man wanders through the various levels of hell and paradise where punishments and rewards for treatment of animals is explored pretty heavily. There's a man in hell being boiled in oil for eternity, but his foot is spared because he frequently used it to crush ants. There's a couple who killed a water-dog, and so are forced to devour their own feces for all eternity.

Generally Zoroastrianism had a pretty extreme form of dualism. Things were either holy or unholy, and unholy things had to be destroyed, while holy things had to be protected.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My old cat pissed on an ants' nest once. What now Zarathustra?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

My old cat pissed on an ants' nest once. What now Zarathustra?

It is the nature of Evil to war with itself.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Imagine how cool Iran would be if they'd managed to resist and stick with Zoroastrianism.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

hakimashou posted:

Imagine how cool Iran would be if they'd managed to resist and stick with Zoroastrianism.

But they do still have a sizeable population of Zoroastrians? :confused:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

But they do still have a sizeable population of Zoroastrians? :confused:
25,000 out of 82.8 million.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
you can't suppress the wobbly wildcat

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is bid'ah, plain and simple.
Dogs are makrouh at worst.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnRQvuwpWSE&t=157s

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is bid'ah, plain and simple.
Dogs are makrouh at worst.

This poster is correct. Dogs are makrouh, not haram. Haram things are absolutely forbidden, makrouh things are allowed with an astrix or three.

The way it was told to me is that back in the days of the Prophet Muhammad dogs were work animals and not so much companion animals. They got dirty working and tensed to track filth inside if let inside. There is no sin in owning, touching, or loving dogs. You can even let them in your home and they can lick your face and hump everything and it's fine. They're not forbidden. But if you've touched or been licked by a dog you no longer have wudu, which is the state of physical cleanliness required to pray, so you just have to do wudu again after interacting with dogs, it's a minor inconvenience at best.

Though if you own an indoor dog, since they shed and get into everything, your entire home becomes contaminated with dog and you'll have to wash before every prayer which might become a bit more of an ordeal for the low energy Muslim.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Two pages in and no one has mentioned Abu Hurairah ('father of the kitten', and one of the most important sources for Salafists)? Come on.

Also

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

lotta pictures of nazis with cats in this thread...really makes u think

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

R. Guyovich posted:

lotta pictures of nazis with cats in this thread...really makes u think

:ussr:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
More Soviet cats:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

now that is my poo poo right there

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Communism may have prevailed over German-brand fascism, but it succumbed to the capitalist-version of it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ziyatong/status/850476383528726529

:neckbeard:

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Soviet cats, eh?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Indeed.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Schizotek posted:

The tradition of the Prophet being obsessed with cats was part of a dumb culture war in Arab occupied Persia. The Persians, having been bathed in the illuminating light of Ahura Mazda, had long before become a race of obsessive dog people. To not feed and care for any stray dog you might come across was pretty much the same thing as murder in their eyes. People who abused their dogs were the lowest of Ahrimans servants.
Pictured: A 2500 year old Good Boy.

Such a good boy!

Zoroastrians seem to have gotten some other things into Islam though such as super special holy toothbrush and five prayers per day (far as can be gathered from the Quran, it's supposed to be three, though tradition came to establish that five is proper).

hakimashou posted:

Mazdakism was pretty cool. The orthodox Zoroastrianism practiced by the Sassanids was pretty loving severe and mostly held up by the institutions of the Persian monarchy (the Great King was essentially a kind of earthly champion of Ormazd and the Truth on Earth) and the powerful priesthood. The Sassanids really are the ones that made Zoroastrianism the Iranian religion and basically constructed a narrative where it had always been this way, when actually before them Iranian peoples had been much more polytheistic than many might believe, though Ormazd was an important god for many of them.

When the Muslims toppled the Persian monarchy (the religion itself had also suffered major setback previously in the great war against the Romans when the Romans destroyed one of the sacred fires and you also had a general popular religious revolt, aforementioend mazdakists, against the king and the priesthood) the whole thing basically came crashing down and the religion really only continued to exist on a local level in local traditions and such. Many of the early (and later) writers on Islamic law and theology were Persian converts (this was also kind of a weird phase where the Muslims were in general very unwilling to accept non-Arab converts as proper Muslims) though who drew greatly on Zoroastrian traditions and applied it to Islam.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 9, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i like the part where it gets out of the egg, looks around, then turns angry/hate colors colors because chameleons while cute and awesome are hateful pricks.

personaly i preferr frogs.

here is lil grump, he is a african rain frog, he is pretty chill but currently recoverying from a cricket bite(pics are from before)

and here is my dumpy frog, he is still a baby.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

whats with all the weird bugs on this page

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like the part where it gets out of the egg, looks around, then turns angry/hate colors colors because chameleons while cute and awesome are hateful pricks.

personaly i preferr frogs.

here is lil grump, he is a african rain frog, he is pretty chill but currently recoverying from a cricket bite(pics are from before)

and here is my dumpy frog, he is still a baby.

:kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah, they are great pets. I hope the rain frog recovers, he seems better. i have been putting neosporin on his wound but he is still doesnt eat :( dumpy frog is good though.

• Locked thread