Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like the part where it gets out of the egg, looks around, then turns angry/hate colors colors because chameleons while cute and awesome are hateful pricks.

personaly i preferr frogs.

here is lil grump, he is a african rain frog, he is pretty chill but currently recoverying from a cricket bite(pics are from before)

and here is my dumpy frog, he is still a baby.

:neckbeard:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, they are great pets. I hope the rain frog recovers, he seems better. i have been putting neosporin on his wound but he is still doesnt eat :( dumpy frog is good though.

Let us know how dumpy frog does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Karatela posted:

:neckbeard:

Let us know how dumpy frog does!

dumpy frog is fine. he is sitting in some plastic leaves being a little lazy goon. its the rain frog thats injured. it he is kinda in flux. i am somewhat hopeful but i am not sure if he will make it :(

EDIT. He passed away :(

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 11, 2017

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

dumpy frog is fine. he is sitting in some plastic leaves being a little lazy goon. its the rain frog thats injured. it he is kinda in flux. i am somewhat hopeful but i am not sure if he will make it :(

Oh no :[.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dapper_Swindler posted:

:sympathy:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

pokie posted:

Oh no :[.

yeah, yesterday, he was doing ok, hopping about a little but today he was basicaly just laying their half asleep clicking in pain, he eventually just went to sleep and didn't wake up :( he was a good frog, pretty friendly and liked climbing over my keyboard. i think my gf is probably going to end up getting me another one for our anniversary, but i will still miss the little guy.

seriously, frogs are underrated pets. whites tree frogs are great and will just sit on you for hours. and rain frogs are cute and funny.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, yesterday, he was doing ok, hopping about a little but today he was basicaly just laying their half asleep clicking in pain, he eventually just went to sleep and didn't wake up :( he was a good frog, pretty friendly and liked climbing over my keyboard. i think my gf is probably going to end up getting me another one for our anniversary, but i will still miss the little guy.

seriously, frogs are underrated pets. whites tree frogs are great and will just sit on you for hours. and rain frogs are cute and funny.

This is the saddest thing I have read all day :sympathy:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Karatela posted:

This is the saddest thing I have read all day :sympathy:

sorry, i ruined your day. :( i kept his body in the fridge and gave it to my gf step dad to preserve. I am not sure if i want to get another type of his species or not. if it makes you feel better. the other frog is fine and just hoping around or sleeping on stuff.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Let Dumpy frogger have as much food as he likes for a bit. Just in case he's feeling a bit down from it all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Let Dumpy frogger have as much food as he likes for a bit. Just in case he's feeling a bit down from it all.

i have, he never knew other frog, diffrent cage and probably incompatible species. but he is happy.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
lil grump :(

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Avshalom posted:

lil grump :(

if it makes you feel better, he isnt suffering. plus i think my gf is probaly getting me some kinda herp in for our one year anniversary. ill post it if i get one.

aww russian kitty.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if it makes you feel better, he isnt suffering. plus i think my gf is probaly getting me some kinda herp in for our one year anniversary. ill post it if i get one.
Wait what?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpetology

All the cool kids know about herps.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A herpeton. I hope.

Which covers both reptiles and amphibians, even though they're not very closely related groups, because some of them look similar.

There is some debate about whether snakes are included, or whether they're part of ophiology. Because they look different.

I have no idea about caecilians.

efb

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
herperoo

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorry, i ruined your day. :( i kept his body in the fridge and gave it to my gf step dad to preserve. I am not sure if i want to get another type of his species or not. if it makes you feel better. the other frog is fine and just hoping around or sleeping on stuff.

Its not your fault! At least one cool frog is ok, right? :shobon:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Karatela posted:

Its not your fault! At least one cool frog is ok, right? :shobon:

Yeah the othe frog is great.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Unfortunate abbreviation but on the other hand aww frogs.
I would also like to know more about chameleons being hateful pricks and other cool facts about cultural hangups with animals because all the zoroastrianism stuff was way cool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

Unfortunate abbreviation but on the other hand aww frogs.
I would also like to know more about chameleons being hateful pricks and other cool facts about cultural hangups with animals because all the zoroastrianism stuff was way cool.

Chameleons are very emotional animals and extremely sensitive to climate,color, food, surroundings, hornyness, and people. Some are pretty friendly, others like my gf's are pricks who just hiss and turn black and bite.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Chameleons are very emotional animals and extremely sensitive to climate,color, food, surroundings, hornyness, and people. Some are pretty friendly, others like my gf's are pricks who just hiss and turn black and bite.

They are also very susceptible to being stressed to death.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Who What Now posted:

They are also very susceptible to being stressed to death.
True, she takes great care of him, but he is mad a lot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Herps are cute but I don't think I could deal with them full time. I like cats as they are comparatively simple to look after, dogs are alright but kind of stupid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Herps are cute but I don't think I could deal with them full time. I like cats as they are comparatively simple to look after, dogs are alright but kind of stupid.

cats are good. honestly it depends on the herps. dumpy tree frogs are really easy to care for as are crested geckos, ball pythons, and corn snakes and bearded dragons and uromastyx, those are also pretty friendly too

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Bummer. What's their bite like? I don't think I have ever seen one with teeth.
I liked the idea of one because they look so incredible, and because they eat bugs. I'd do a snake but I couldn't feed it pinkies because I am a big fat baby.

Also just generally the ethics of keeping an animal, which I'm not really sure enough about to be okay with having one in a terrarium.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 17, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

Bummer. What's their bite like? I don't think I have ever seen one with teeth.
I liked the idea of one because they look so incredible, and because they eat bugs. I'd do a snake but I couldn't feed it pinkies because I am a big fat baby.

Also just generally the ethics of keeping an animal, which I'm not really sure enough about to be okay with having one in a terrarium.

you can feed snakes dead stuff and buy dead mice that you microwave then feed them with tongs.

i have never owned one, my gf has 2, the big mean one and teeny tinny brokesia is to small to hate. and yeah apperently the bite hurts. it bit her chest ones through the poo poo because she was wearing pink and it hates pink(and beards so it hates me and her step dad)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cats are good. honestly it depends on the herps. dumpy tree frogs are really easy to care for as are crested geckos, ball pythons, and corn snakes and bearded dragons and uromastyx, those are also pretty friendly too

A friend of mine has a ball python that a few years ago could barely warp around my forearm and now could probably wrap around my upper thigh. Its generally pretty chill and totally non-aggressive. 10/10 would recommend to anybody willing to pay for proper terrarium equipment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Who What Now posted:

A friend of mine has a ball python that a few years ago could barely warp around my forearm and now could probably wrap around my upper thigh. Its generally pretty chill and totally non-aggressive. 10/10 would recommend to anybody willing to pay for proper terrarium equipment.

my gf is amazing. its head tame too.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you can feed snakes dead stuff and buy dead mice that you microwave then feed them with tongs.

i have never owned one, my gf has 2, the big mean one and teeny tinny brokesia is to small to hate. and yeah apperently the bite hurts. it bit her chest ones through the poo poo because she was wearing pink and it hates pink(and beards so it hates me and her step dad)
Still, all the poor dead little mice! I used to have Russian gerbils as a teenager and so have a predilection toward small rodents. :shobon:
At some point I went through the trouble of trying to research snakes small enough so they could feed on crickets or other large bugs but they're all described as advanced care or otherwise fussy and I'd be mortified if I killed something I was supposed to take care of.

On the topic of snakechat and to add something slightly D&D, the Indian grey mongoose is kept in nurseries in India because they keep your baby's room snake free. And often the rest of the house too. I don't recall any cool passages from the Bhagavad Gita about punishments for killing one however.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I like cats as they are comparatively simple to look after, dogs are alright but kind of stupid.

Dogs are actually smarter than cats. Turns out being an antisocial loner weirdo takes less brainpower than being a cool and good doggo with a highly advanced understanding of complex social hierarchies and interspecies communication.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

LeJackal posted:

Dogs are actually smarter than cats. Turns out being an antisocial loner weirdo takes less brainpower than being a cool and good doggo with a highly advanced understanding of complex social hierarchies and interspecies communication.

Dog intelligence is judged on how easily they succumb to authoritarianism

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LeJackal posted:

A cat however does not try to do things beyond its intelligence, whereas a dog does and fails.

The dog is the 2003 laptop that only runs windows ME and has 3 different antivirus packages installed on it, of the animal world. A cat is an integrated chipset.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 18, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

Still, all the poor dead little mice! I used to have Russian gerbils as a teenager and so have a predilection toward small rodents. :shobon:
At some point I went through the trouble of trying to research snakes small enough so they could feed on crickets or other large bugs but they're all described as advanced care or otherwise fussy and I'd be mortified if I killed something I was supposed to take care of.

On the topic of snakechat and to add something slightly D&D, the Indian grey mongoose is kept in nurseries in India because they keep your baby's room snake free. And often the rest of the house too. I don't recall any cool passages from the Bhagavad Gita about punishments for killing one however.

oh its fine and i get it. i used to feel bad for feeding crickets to the frogs(not as much any more) and i still dont buy caterpillars as food because i like them. i also had gerbils, gunia pig, rabbits. so yeah i dont blame you. i dont honestly have snake yet. i only had the 2 frogs. want to get more though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

LeJackal posted:

Animals are individuals and pick up on your social cues to the best of their abilities, which varies from one individual to the next.

I'm sorry you don't like cats equally as much as dogs, because the cats and dogs around you know it too.

EDIT: I'm eating lunch and my cat is trying to convince me to give him some ramen noodles, the way a dog would. He also plays fetch. My cat is... a good boy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 18, 2017

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

A cat however does not try to do things beyond its intelligence, whereas a dog does and fails.

Cats have no ambition.

Unlike very smart dogs.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Animals are individuals and pick up on your social cues to the best of their abilities, which varies from one individual to the next.

I'm sorry you don't like cats equally as much as dogs, because the cats and dogs around you know it too.

I like smart animals.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
Saw a cat being looked after by some people after it hit on the main road by a car. I asked if I could help but they said they rang a vet. I then went to the shop.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LeJackal posted:

Cats have no ambition.

Unlike very smart dogs.

I like smart animals.

Could you possibly go suck up to the dog-loving tankie IK in another thread? This is the no-dogs thread.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i wholeheartedly endorse the dog poster in convincing you wreckers canidae are the light in this cold cruel world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Guyovich posted:

i wholeheartedly endorse the dog poster in convincing you wreckers canidae are the light in this cold cruel world

They're also really good to sic at undesirables, which I bet is the real reason you like them. Nobody's ever violently suppressed a peaceful protest with police cats.

• Locked thread