Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

My friends and I are planning a backpacking trip to Glacier National Park in Aug 2018. I am a complete rookie in terms of backpacking, as I have never done it. I'm out of shape and completely lacking in proper gear for such a venture. I am completely aware that a week-long trip is no joke, and do not intend on ruining the trip for the other 3 people. So to handle that, I am working out with a co-worker 4 times a week, doing cardio, and working to lose weight. I am trying to go for long walks to get my legs and feet adjusted to the grind of walking long distances. i have gone camping and hiking, and can do a 12 mile hike in a day without any issues, though I'm sore the next day, obviously a problem for a multi-day trip. My friends and I are also planning day-hikes and weekend trips where we intend to wear the backpacks, learn where they chafe, break in boots, do dry runs of setting up/tearing down the tents, etc.

I know I need proper gear for this, meaning a backpack, tent, various bits and pieces, and good hiking boots. However as I am new to this, I could use some pointers and directions to help avoid wasting time or money on garbage. So I have a list of questions I would appreciate some answers for.

I saw the thread about backpacks and will check it out, is there anything missed there I should be aware of?

Is there a good checklist for gear anywhere that would be a good baseline to follow, obviously I can google and find a million of them, but one people here would approve of? Budget is not too big of an issue, I am white collar and can budget to spend a bit for quality gear when needed, especially with a year and a half to prepare.

Other than "leg day" are there specific exercises that are recommended for helping prepare for backpacking? We do all of the normal leg day stuff: squats, deadlifts, calf raises, weighted step-ups, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i have been consulting with a Zen master on the art of hiking while meditating so that i only experience the silence of nature. eventually i will ascend to taking the great pacific trail and hike to hawaii

• Locked thread