Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I found a copy of Homeworld 1 for $10 back around 2009 or so at a local thrift shop. Was still sealed and had a coupon for a Rush Hour VHS tape inside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Terrifying outsider art. If you want an inexpensive housewarming gift for your weird friend, go to Goodwill and buy a scary-ugly painting. It will be cheap as chips and your weird friend will think you are a wacky good time.

Thrift store art is the best. We were at a local church thrift store and they had this completely batshit print which I assumed had been commissioned by a local bank chain, depicting a future bank location on the Moon, complete with all the furniture and fixtures in that sweet 70's-future style (lots of big chunky consoles). We noticed from the tag that it was a week from its final markdown, so we decided to wait on it, but we came back and it was gone. Regrets!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

A friend of mine found a set of eight different framed photos of Kevin Costner. He gave them out for Christmas that year (mine's an artistic black-and-white still from Waterworld).

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Antivehicular posted:

Thrift store art is the best. We were at a local church thrift store and they had this completely batshit print which I assumed had been commissioned by a local bank chain, depicting a future bank location on the Moon, complete with all the furniture and fixtures in that sweet 70's-future style (lots of big chunky consoles). We noticed from the tag that it was a week from its final markdown, so we decided to wait on it, but we came back and it was gone. Regrets!
One of the few pieces of art I own is a painting of a windmill from a thrift store. It was a little expensive but so nice, kind of Dutch masters-y.

This afternoon I got a nice black skirt at Goodwill. Could be nice for job interviews.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
OP, can we talk about flea market and yard sale finds as well?

I found a goofy board game called Blind Justice, but what was inside was cooler. There was an R2D2 toy, except it was actually an electronic die roller that makes beeping noises when you push its head down and then a number from 1 to 6 shows up on its chest. An R2D6, I guess.

And there was an old lefty pin that said "Blacks: 10% of the population, 26% in Vietnam. WHY?"

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Hi I'm a thrift store addict and borderline hoarder so I'm just going to live in this thread now

It's the warmest day so far this year so of course I found a really nice flannel shirt and Levi's jacket today.

Over the years I've found lots of good stuff. If I get bored of stuff and it's worth something I'll sell it on ebay and if it's not worth much I'll just re-donate it and pretend I rented it for a while.

A few of the things I can see from my desk:

This dope dog painting. I think we paid $10 for it at a Humane Society shop.

I bought this guitar as a beat up pile of crap that somebody cobbled together with the wrong parts for like $7. Then I spent about $60 on new tuners, a pick guard pre-wired with all new electronics and a couple of cans of car touch-up paint and some wood filler and filled all the dents and re-painted it. It plays pretty well but the cheap direct-from-China pickups are kind of wimpy.

I've also found, used and then sold a ton of old film cameras and lenses, though I usually pass those up now unless they're something valuable. Also tons of old bikes that get fixed up, ridden for a while and then sold when I end up with too many.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dog Case posted:

Hi I'm a thrift store addict and borderline hoarder so I'm just going to live in this thread now

It's the warmest day so far this year so of course I found a really nice flannel shirt and Levi's jacket today.

That is a nice shirt.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
That dog painting rules!

Dreadweave
Jul 17, 2009
Not exactly a Thrift store (Thrift stores arent really a thing in Australia, we have "Op-SHop's" They arent the same)

I got this at a Garage sale.

I do videos on this poo poo here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV1QRT-dmtU&t=300s

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I trapped the souls of two little girls inside these paintings.

Also that copy of Hero Quest, which had more pieces than once set comes with. It was a nice addition to my other 1.5 copies.

mick ohio
Sep 24, 2007

So I says to Mabel, I says...
Thousands of Yu Gi Oh! cards. Hello, extra income.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Thrift store art is the best.

So is antique store art. So many creepy, dead-eyed child paintings.

My favorite thrift find is an old water jug from the 60s that so keep change in, and a Quaker Oats cookie jar that looks like one of the oatmeal canisters.

Weirdest thing is a cockfighting VHS set to very upbeat Tejano music.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
At a yard sale I found a Micheal Wolgemut wood cut from @ 1493. They were really selling the frame, but it was OK if I took the picture too. $2.

I traded it for a large 17th C French print I wanted but couldn't afford.

Another time I found a silver dollar in a beltbuckle. $1. The coin shop gave me $50 for it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Dreadweave posted:

Not exactly a Thrift store (Thrift stores arent really a thing in Australia, we have "Op-SHop's" They arent the same)

I got this at a Garage sale.

I do videos on this poo poo here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV1QRT-dmtU&t=300s

I have that Athena figure and also another one. They aren't really worth much, maybe $10-20 NIB.

I also have some LOTR ones that I think I got around the same time at a shop.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Nintendo 64 with a few games. It was in a camera bag and I just spied the controller's telltale plug hanging out the side. I got it for $20AUD, so like 4 bucks.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

$30. Picked up today.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I hate you.

Good score though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Applesnots posted:

I hate you.

Good score though

I usually just gloss over old home video game console computer systems in flea markets and second-hand shops because about 100% of games worth playing are (legally) available and much more playable on modern systems.

Of course if you don't have a modern system, 30 USD ain't bad.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Jerry Cotton posted:

I usually just gloss over old home video game console computer systems in flea markets and second-hand shops because about 100% of games worth playing are (legally) available and much more playable on modern systems.

Of course if you don't have a modern system, 30 USD ain't bad.
Yeah, I was just saying he got that for a steal.

I found a cool old state trooper hat the other day, Weird hats are fun.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Applesnots posted:

I found a cool old state trooper hat the other day, Weird hats are fun.

Then why are you about to throw it like a frisbee to (presumably) a dog?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Applesnots posted:

Super-Mario Allstars definitely has 30$ worth of game-play in it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Super-Mario Allstars definitely has 30$ worth of game-play in it.

Yeah that thing blew my loving mind when I was a kid cause I had just switched from an NES to an SNES right around when that came out

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

$30. Picked up today.

Hope you have the power and video cords.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yobgoblin posted:

Isn't the video cord at least the same as with N64, Gamecube, and possibly Wii so you can just get a 1$ one from anywhere?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Aesop Poprock posted:

Then why are you about to throw it like a frisbee to (presumably) a dog?

Ummmm, Because I was taking a picture of it and I am sure you dont want to see it on my ugly mug.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yobgoblin posted:

Those are cheap as gently caress online

Why did SNESes always start to turn yellow? Mine's still in my parents basement with my nes and atari and it''s like almost entirely that yellowish gray color now

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Why did SNESes always start to turn yellow? Mine's still in my parents basement with my nes and atari and it''s like almost entirely that yellowish gray color now

https://www.howtogeek.com/196687/ask-htg-why-do-old-computers-and-game-consoles-turn-yellow/

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Aesop Poprock posted:

Something to do with Brominated plastic. It was a thing back then.

ed: beaten

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Applesnots posted:

Ummmm, Because I was taking a picture of it and I am sure you dont want to see it on my ugly mug.

Oh you bought a mug as well? Let's see it!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cool. That yellow base SNES looked boss though why'd they have to gently caress with that one

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Cool. That yellow base SNES looked boss though why'd they have to gently caress with that one

Yeah what's wrong with yellow, it's not like gray is a particularly stylish colour either?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh you bought a mug as well? Let's see it!

I, uh... um, dropped it, yeah! I dropped it.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This sweet horse picture for $3 that I sent off to my Secret Santa a few years back.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

It did come with a power cable and rf cable, but the system is having trouble powering on consistently. Probably going to have to order a new one. I have to power cycle it a bunch to get it to start.

Once I get it consistently working I'm probably going to buy an everdrive for it and sell the cartridges. I live in a small apartment and don't really have room to keep a ton of cartridges. Plus the games I'd really want to play are mario rpg and earthbound, which fetch premium prices.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My wife lives to thrift- I use that as a catch all for thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales, and antique malls because they all blur together on me.
She pretty routinely finds 100+ purses (including 3 different Coach bags that we sold for 200$ each) for just a couple bucks. She normally finds cool poo poo like that, whereas I always seem to find a book on CD with discount 4 of 11 missing.
She did find me a Smith Corona typewriter (old Silent Secretarial, not sure year or anything beyond that) for 20$ at a yard sale. We looked it up, and if we parted it out, we could get close to a grand. When we looked, we couldn't find a complete one. She scored an old cabinet radio, complete and working for 20$.
My favorite personal find was a black velvet painting of Fred Flintstone. It was so loving weird and cool. It's hanging in my kitchen.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

After looking for a long time, I found a leather double rider jacket today. $40. It's some defunct sub brand of Wilson leather, but it looks hella fresh.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why do people always have bin bags just laying around in their homes?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why do people always have bin bags just laying around in their homes?

It's a fashion statement.

Or, he's about to take it out to the garbage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah but when I'm about to take some garbage out the bag's going to be in the vestibule and I'm not going to pause to grab a selfie. (I'm not judging since it's in a bag and not on the floor just curious because I see it a lot on the internet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's actually because I'm moving next week. I meant to mention it in the post but I forgot.