Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Everyone chain-smoked from the invention of tobacco until 1986.

e: what a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

My friends and I went bar hopping on st paddy's a few years ago, but beforehand we went to the thrift store to buy vessels to drink out of all night. I ended up with a pint glass shaped like a cowboy boot, one of my friends got a communion chalice

I'm still jealous

There is no greater hero than one who desecrates any and all idols & symbols of the catholic church

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
It looks more like a washstand that's lost its pitcher

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I bought a temporary electric meter (that's a thing?) that was either:
1)NOT left with the customer as the sticker commands
or 2) It WAS, but then the customer dropped it off at the ReStore.

I have no use for it, but for $3.50 might be a fun thing to take a look at and maybe try to educate myself on how an electric meter works. And then it can be a decoration on my garage wall, it's slowly turning into some sort of "Industrial Applebees" with all the weird crap on the walls.

Also got something that might end up being useful:

For crankin' it! :haw:

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 15:58 on Jun 8, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got a I think very old, very heavy blender at a local rummage sale, still works great, a couple of the buttons don't work at all but aside from liquify they're irrelevant for my needs

Pureed some cold watermelon for a nice summer drink

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Captain Invictus posted:

Got a I think very old, very heavy blender at a local rummage sale, still works great, a couple of the buttons don't work at all but aside from liquify they're irrelevant for my needs

Pureed some cold watermelon for a nice summer drink

Oh poo poo I have a watermelon right now. I'm totally doing this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a regular sized watermelon from the grocery store will produce at least 6 huge cups of smoothie if it's just watermelon and nothing else so keep that in mind, you're gonna be drinking a lot. that said, I much prefer this method to eating it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Found this thing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
That's someone's death mask

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Found basically the same thing in 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Looks like a novelty cake

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FreudianSlippers posted:

Found basically the same thing in 2019

I see you drive a Jeep Compass, or a Dodge Caliber

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

Found this thing

Ah, a gein original. Very nice

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Found this thing

Aww, the nose has been rubbed! You know. For luck!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

FreudianSlippers posted:

Found this thing

Ah, the rich Corinthian leather from a Plymouth Volare, complete with an imprint from the person in the back seat.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Found this thing

:thunk:

Thunkintospace.gif

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Ah, the rich Corinthian leather from a Plymouth Volare, complete with an imprint from the person in the back seat.

Chrysler Cordoba!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Chrysler Cordoba!

Oh drat, I am so busted. :smith:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Iron Crowned posted:

I see you drive a Jeep Compass, or a Dodge Caliber

Good eye.

Though I had to sell it for scrap when an electrical system malfunction became such a constantly reoccurring problem that having it fixed or buying new parts was more expensive than just buying another car.

Loveable American pig-dog car.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FreudianSlippers posted:

Good eye.

Though I had to sell it for scrap when an electrical system malfunction became such a constantly reoccurring problem that having it fixed or buying new parts was more expensive than just buying another car.

Loveable American pig-dog car.

I only know because I had the same car, that not so coincidentally also met the same fate. I'm pretty sure the sub-frames were assembled from rust at the factory.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i'm obsessed with this futuristic breadbox i found last weekend

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Please do not open the box.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I went to Goodwill Outlet (The Bins) and found 80 Type IV Metal cassette tapes. I found a few and then my girlfriend and I went nuts digging through every bin in the place to find every single one. Tapes are sold by weight so they cost me about $15 for everything.

They've been recorded on but that's OK because they're high quality and very desirable by tape heads. The Sony and TDK tapes go for like $10-$15 each used and the Denons go for even more. The Denon tapes are heavy as hell.

I went through a few to see what's recorded on them and the most interesting thing I found so far is the opening scene of Up in Smoke where Cheech and Chong meet.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Probably the best thing I ever found at a thrift store is a Voodoo 3 3500 TV AGP sealed in box for less than $10.

In the same trip, I found a Sony Mini DV Walkman and a Sony Digital 8 Walkman in perfect working order for $4 each; the models that have the screen built in. The cool thing about that is that the Digital 8 player had a tape in it that had video from a local parade and tug of war event that took place in the 80s. I've digitized the video and am going to upload it because I think that it would make people happy to see these memories.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I guess they were actually $3 each. :v:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I picked up this RIDE snowboard complete with Burton bindings for $20 that I'm going to use this season.

I also got this Santa Cruz board that I'm going to hang for decoration. It only cost me $5. It's cracked but it will look pretty sweet hanging up, what with the Illuminati imagery and all.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I guess the best thing I found as far as something that was immediately flippable was a copy of monkey island 2 for $5. It was in with the board games and puzzles

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I went into a local antique store in town and found a Tag Heuer stopwatch.

The fun part though is it's some kind of military contract one!

For the life of me I can't find out anything more specific about it besides some people selling them, and few identical looking models being sold under different brands like Marathon or Hanhart. Still, for $50 when it appears to keep perfect time I really can't complain.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I bought this sweet Romero Heys rolling luggage piece at Goodwill Outlet for $10. It legit makes me want to make an excuse to travel somewhere just so I can use it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I've picked up tons of great garbage from thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets, pawn shops, and junk stores over the years. I still haven't finished unpacking after a recent move, but here's some of the silly poo poo that floated to the top.

This stuff currently sits on top of a couple of book shelves in my kitchen:

I'm sorry to dredge this up from 5 years ago, as I just found this thread.

Bottom left. Is that a Bull Shannon from Night Court Ventriloquist Dummy?

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

CzarChasm posted:

I'm sorry to dredge this up from 5 years ago, as I just found this thread.

Bottom left. Is that a Bull Shannon from Night Court Ventriloquist Dummy?

Correct!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That just raises further questions

Did they mass produce those or was it a one-off?

Did night court do a muppet episode??

Was it created as part of an elaborate scheme to steal Richard Moll's identity???

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

flavor.flv posted:

Was it created as part of an elaborate scheme to steal Richard Moll's identity???

It was based off of (though different in appearance and composition from) the ventriloquist dummy Bull had in the show on a few episodes. I think there was some kind of limited run of them because I have one stored away that’s identical to the one in the photo, but no idea if they were a promotional thing or sold in a store.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

ishikabibble posted:

I went into a local antique store in town and found a Tag Heuer stopwatch.

The fun part though is it's some kind of military contract one!

For the life of me I can't find out anything more specific about it besides some people selling them, and few identical looking models being sold under different brands like Marathon or Hanhart. Still, for $50 when it appears to keep perfect time I really can't complain.

It’s not a TAG Heuer, it’s just Heuer, meaning that it was made before TAG Group bought a majority stake in Heuer in 1985

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

flavor.flv posted:

I believe Gutter Phoenix said he bought it from a studio merch catalogue back in the day, so they were at least a product sold for money, but beyond that? Mystery, man.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

I believe Gutter Phoenix said he bought it from a studio merch catalogue back in the day, so they were at least a product sold for money, but beyond that? Mystery, man.

It absolutely was available from the Warner Bros Studio Store catalog.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Was going through old photos in Google Photos and saw these... a VERY racist cartoon that was framed and for sale at a more fancy/upscale consignment store:
So definitely not favorite find in a "wow, this is cool!"" way but favorite in a "why the gently caress would they even HAVE this here?!" sort of way.

(sorry some are blurry, and also sorry in general for the racism)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ and his GF are antique hunters, Goodwill employees ... don't actually hate us since we live across the street and are some of their best customers. This evening, we were in line, she asked me to bring a little wooden chest of drawers back and put it on the shelf, and I spotted a crystal whiskey decanter. I took a look at it, grabbed it

And screamed "waiiiiiiiiit." as I sprinted back to the register before adding it to the total and paying. I had spotted something on the bottom, a Val St. Lambert signature

I paid $15. It's 1950s vintage, and might be worth as much as $400.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

GWBBQ posted:

GWBBQ and his GF are antique hunters, Goodwill employees ... don't actually hate us since we live across the street and are some of their best customers. This evening, we were in line, she asked me to bring a little wooden chest of drawers back and put it on the shelf, and I spotted a crystal whiskey decanter. I took a look at it, grabbed it

And screamed "waiiiiiiiiit." as I sprinted back to the register before adding it to the total and paying. I had spotted something on the bottom, a Val St. Lambert signature

I paid $15. It's 1950s vintage, and might be worth as much as $400.

Just remember: if it's real crystal, you don't want to actually put anything in it you plan to drink. Lead leaches into it fast enough to be a health hazard.

Really gorgeous and a very nice find nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I wouldn't put anything in it that I wouldn't drink out of uranium glass.