Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I found a book!

And my GF found a music box for $2.

I tried to fix it up, but the bevel gear on the drum is stripped beyond repair, so you'll just have to listen to "Memories" from the musical Cats if you want to hear what it sounds like

And did I ever mention my bizarre '70s ray gun/makeup brush? I think I did, but if not, here it is with my UFO books. I would love nothing more than to have a Polaroid of John Waters pointing it at the camera and autographed "Zzzap! -John" but that's probably as likely to happen as me figuring out why someone made the thing in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

I found a book!

And my GF found a music box for $2.

I tried to fix it up, but the bevel gear on the drum is stripped beyond repair, so you'll just have to listen to "Memories" from the musical Cats if you want to hear what it sounds like

And did I ever mention my bizarre '70s ray gun/makeup brush? I think I did, but if not, here it is with my UFO books. I would love nothing more than to have a Polaroid of John Waters pointing it at the camera and autographed "Zzzap! -John" but that's probably as likely to happen as me figuring out why someone made the thing in the first place.

I found a couple tiny music boxes yesterday at Goodwill. They're encased in cardboard and hand-crank:

https://i.imgur.com/KEV82Aq.mp4
(sound on, but volume is low apparently)

Also, I've been looking for a thrifted copy of Joy of Cooking for years and somehow haven't found one.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I went antiquing over the weekend and found this really unique looking wooden statue of the Hindu god Garuda.

The shop had a ton of interesting and esoteric stuff from all over Asia, but this one was a real standout piece.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Radio Paranoia posted:

I went antiquing over the weekend and found this really unique looking wooden statue of the Hindu god Garuda.

The shop had a ton of interesting and esoteric stuff from all over Asia, but this one was a real standout piece.

That’s great. Good pickup

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Garuda is a protector place it so it faces your front door.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Thumposaurus posted:

Garuda is a protector place it so it faces your front door.

I've currently got it on a shelf behind my desk (protecting me from my posting enemies); but this is good advice, thanks!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I was a huge Far Side fan as a kid and got one of these mugs when I was a teenager. It broke. :smith:

And now I have one again! :neckbeard:

About ten years ago I was on a roll finding Far Side mugs in thrift stores (but not one of these) and then just... nothing for a decade. So it was a happy find on two counts.

Quiet Feet has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Feb 23, 2023

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife, kiddo, and I went to some thrift stores this weekend. We happened to be close to an out-of-the-way Goodwill yesterday, so we stopped in. We mostly were shopping for clothing since my wife has gone down a number of clothing sizes, but I always look at the CDs. I also got some good kid books for my 2.5 year old. First Goodwill I found The Gathering's "Nighttime Birds" on CD, which I needed to pick up, for a buck. On the way home we stopped at the Savers in our town. There we found more clothes, and I found Genesis's "Invisible Touch" on CD in great condition for $2. We found something else, which I'll get back to in a second. I told my wife I found Bare Naked Ladies' christmas album, which she listens to at that time of year, so she gave me $2 in cash to go back in to pick up.

Today we went to the Goodwill in our town, and I picked up The Chemical Brother's "Push The Button" CD, which happens to be the next studio album by the band for myself. I also picked up The Mission Impossible 1 soundtrack because it was 50¢, and I had volume 2 anyways (it felt like I should have had the first one, even though I'm not a fan of these films, just so I didn't awkwardly have the sequel by itself anymore). I also found Pixar's "The Good Dinosaur" on blurry for $1.50, so why not? Finally, I got those Christmas classic stop-motion films (and Frosty) because it was $3 for 7 shorts on bluray, and why not for the kiddo at that time of year? It's me, the guy who buys Christmas stuff from the media bins, apparently.

All of this for under $12.

So that other thing I got at Savers. When we go to these shops with our 2.5 year old, we take shifts. I let my wife go and shop for clothes and whatever, and I let my daughter run around with me 5 feet away so she can't break anything or get run over. This time she found a little scooter bike thing, and I let her ride it around the Savers since she was going slower than walking speed. The thing moved around really easily, better than the plastic Fisher Price one she's outgrown, even if she was a bit big for this. She loved it, rode it around the store, carried it when she wasn't riding it. The thing was $7.50, so why not pick it up? I was telling my mom about this bike and all the thrifting, and looked up the bike since I was too lazy to take a picture of it.

12-24 months, so yeah, a bit too old for it, but she loves it.... The loving thing costs $155 new. One of the best steals I've gotten from a thrift store in a while.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought a cookbook that looked really cursed, and all the recipes are "for 100 people". It was 1€.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I bought a cookbook that looked really cursed, and all the recipes are "for 100 people". It was 1€.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No, there's no title on the cover, or the spine. Only after reading the foreword did I realize the title is scrawled in the margin of the back cover and the front leaf.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I regret not getting it, but saw this shirt the other week at a thrift store:

And the very bottom that is cut-off in the first pic:

RIP Nana.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Please post some recipes, I beg you.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

RIP Nana.

You didn’t get that?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BigFactory posted:

You didn’t get that?

I don't wear black shirts. :shrug:

V V V I'll have you know it was a Habitat for Humanity ReStore, thank you very much! V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Jun 5, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't wear black shirts. :shrug:

She didn’t get Covid and die so you could leave her shirt at the Salvation Army.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

RIP Nana.
Why would you possibly have passed up a a bootleg-rear end Frida Kahlo shirt like that?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It feels pain every time you open it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Duo pissed off a witch one too many times

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

...where did they find a chastity cage that size??

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Picking up some foreverial (and loving it) vibes from this.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Picking up some foreverial (and loving it) vibes from this.

Foreverial ceramicized and loving it, permanent cookie tongue

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Went to a flea market today and found one of my grails sitting amongst a bunch of otherwise unremarkable stuff.

The guy gave me a deal because it was missing the power cord.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
drat i'm always ogling the irish flip clock baron's wares on etsy. i'm covetous as hell of that kind of thing. is the flipping quiet enough for bedside?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

super nailgun posted:

Went to a flea market today and found one of my grails sitting amongst a bunch of otherwise unremarkable stuff.

The guy gave me a deal because it was missing the power cord.

I can't say why but I think a proper flip clock is bright yellow or bright orange. :shrug:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

drat i'm always ogling the irish flip clock baron's wares on etsy. i'm covetous as hell of that kind of thing. is the flipping quiet enough for bedside?
I had one growing up and it's pretty quiet--and you definitely get used to it and start tuning it out pretty quickly. The sound wouldn't wake you up, if that's what you're worried about.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I can't say why but I think a proper flip clock is bright yellow or bright orange. :shrug:
You're in luck!

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Oct 1, 2023

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I just got a leather jacket for $10, seems to be in perfect condition. Googling the label, it looks like a $400 item.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Every year I go hunting for what I call Halloween Librarian Vests.

Today was pretty eventful I scored these two for less than 10 bux.

This one is hand made, got a lil patch from the nice mom who made it.

This one is just some spooky fabric made into a vest

I have like 20 or so of these

https://twitter.com/TheSkinnyMenace/status/1708558120811987355?t=bdyRuyd7SWnifdxTJ84AJg&s=19

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I don't think I'd recommend one of these for that actually. The noise of the flip is quite pronounced with this Solari. Definitely a lot louder than the GE flip clocks I've had. I had one of those as my bedside alarm clock for years and it was fine though.

El Fideo posted:

I just got a leather jacket for $10, seems to be in perfect condition. Googling the label, it looks like a $400 item.

You can't post about your sick leather jacket without pics, c'mon!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

El Fideo posted:

I think lots of things like that end up in thrift stores from people who have died and the families/friends don't know anything about what they've been left. I feel like I'm gonna need to leave a note for when I die to whoever I leave my stuff to, to actually look up the values of things rather than dump them in a bin(whether that's a donation or garbage bin), because random innocuous stuff I own is actually worth stupid money. A ridiculous looking "toy" shield, actually a prop from weta workshops worth $500+. a plastic handgun, actually a pez dispenser from the 60s in a color variant that makes it extremely rare and valuable because it actually looks like a gun rather than a toy. a box of seemingly broken metal toy pieces, actually like 60 pounds of warhammer bits probably worth upwards of a grand.

it's like when my stepdad died, his kids didn't want to bother going through his belongings, just scooping his literal gold and silver coin collection on a shelf into a box and were going to leave the rest to be dumpstered by the person they sold the house to. but they let mom and I go through things to salvage what we could either for ourselves or to donate, and not only did we donate a huge amount of perfectly fine clothing and things like dishware and utensils, but also found a second significant coin collection as well as my stepdad's childhood baseball card collection, multiple solid gold antiques, a bunch of jewelry buried in the basement, etc. It's just wild.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My mom spent most of a year going through her and my dad's accumulated possessions, plus what had been given to them by relatives who were downsizing (or dying), prior to Mom moving across the country. It was just an absolutely gigantic amount of work, and there's almost certainly some things that got given away or discarded that could have gotten serious money if they'd been sold. But she just didn't have the energy to maximize the monetary returns.

I did end up with a bunch of Dad's old stuff, including four flannels and two leather jackets. I also have an old turntable and solid-state amplifier waiting on me to get them cleaned up and figure out how to verify if they still work, so they can hopefully be sold.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in a weird position where I'm living in my deceased roommate's house while the probate process finishes (it's been 16 months, don't get me started) but living here I defaulted to doling out his things.

The only things anyone wanted were a small kinetic sculpture and his library of guns (mostly skeet rifles but also some reproduction WW1 weapons, some of which actually work). Nobody but his 93 yr old dad even wanted to look through the rest.

Anyway, jacket pics were requested. Here's my roommate's jacket his dad gave me:

No idea the age, but the tag says Leathers of Distinction Made in USA and it was bought at a motorcycle rally at some point in the last two decades, knowing my roommate probably for more than it was ever worth.

I got it because it fits me reasonably well and I'm moving away from Florida so I'm the only one who might ever wear it.

I also got this baller fuckin' tv dinner tray, perfect for late night meals and also performing the darkest of pineapple magicks.

Closer view of the arcane patterns emblazoned on the top

Oh, and I got over 2000 books, mostly sci-fi/fantasy. Each of the tpb shelves in these pics are double-deep and this is less than half (the rest is boxed for the move, coming any day now for the last fuckin year). The collection will fully fill 4 Ikea bookshelves.

Ho ho ho motherfuckers

Last and objectively best, this cocktail pastry tray. Before you say to clean it, those black specks are below the glaze somehow. It's the uncontested greatest platter I've ever owned.

Ps I didn't pay for any of this so I want you to know that I'm a phony and a pretender to the throne.

E: as for why I didn't post this sooner, SADHOLE

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Oct 3, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

THE GIRL WITH THE STIEG

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I've been thrift shopping for frames for some art fair prints, was just gonna cover up the lovely angel in this one but discovered angel person did the same and covered a much better print. I'm honestly tempted to just put it back in, hang it, and go find another frame.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

-- a bunch of jewelry buried in the basement, etc. It's just wild.

Buried, buried, or just lying around under something else?
Buried, buried makes it sound like you ended up on a treasure hunt culminating in you digging up something in the basement.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he was a significant hoarder, and there had been a leak in the basement resulting in multiple boxes melting/collapsing into themselves, it was indeed rather like finding buried treasure as the jewelry was underneath pounds of rotting moldy cardboard and detritus.

I really need to organize and take photos of some of this poo poo. I tried going to a famous jeweler's nearby to have them help identify stuff and properly clean them and they were just like "we don't do that", but they also had a concierge at the front door who raised his eyebrow at me when I walked in not in ~fancy clothing~ so it might just not be the right place to go for that sort of thing.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I have no doubt hoity toity jewelers judged your clothes but they are probably also just used to people bringing in some worthless bullshit. Or they don't buy second hand. But even that is its own thing.

I once saw a guy go in a record store with a big crate of like 1940s dance band music, 78rpm records. He put them on the counter to get them priced for sale, the owner looked through them and said he wasn't interested, and the guy just left the box on the counter and walked away. The owner grabbed the box of unsellable poo poo and chased him out, shouting "get this poo poo out of my store!" Like he wouldn't even take it for free. Even if you have something good you'd have to get past secondhand dealers' natural wariness.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
You have to pay gemologists for jewelry grading with set up appointments and poo poo. i don’t think many jewelers keep one on hand at regular hours for grading anymore if they ever did.

I used to date one and her career attitude gave off realtor vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, but like the place had a counter for appraisals and stuff, and I showed them some examples of what I had, I think they just didn't want to deal with me because I had a box full of stuff rather than like two rings and some earrings to look at. I'll investigate gemologists or whatever to hopefully get some appraisals set up.