Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

bulletsponge13 posted:

My favorite personal find was a black velvet painting of Fred Flintstone. It was so loving weird and cool. It's hanging in my kitchen.

Pic please! Sounds really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I mostly use thrift stores to get random gifts or things I like. Recently I got this little clay statue of a fish, complete with artist signature. It was $1, went home and looked her stuff up online and her clay figurines regularly sell for $300. I'm hanging onto it for now because it's awesome.

My friend once gave me a $1 wooden carving of one of the monsters from Where the Wild Things Are. I think it's supposed to be an incense burner? I dunno, there's a small hole where it holds something. I love it.

Also spent like .50 on a friend giving her an antique set of drunken horses dancing around a candle holder. And another one got some little ugly free pig figurines that she loved because she obsesses over mini pigs. Got my sister a dumb looking knit owl pot holder and a framed drawing of two extremely judgmental owls that was 1/2 off because the glass was cracked. She's obsessed with owls so she went nuts over my $2 gifts.

Thrift stores are insane for weird family gifts. Like, "look I thought of you and spent like no money but you'll treasure this weird poo poo forever" gifts. Way better than a gift card imo.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

A Strange Aeon posted:

OP, can we talk about flea market and yard sale finds as well?

I found a goofy board game called Blind Justice, but what was inside was cooler. There was an R2D2 toy, except it was actually an electronic die roller that makes beeping noises when you push its head down and then a number from 1 to 6 shows up on its chest. An R2D6, I guess.

And there was an old lefty pin that said "Blacks: 10% of the population, 26% in Vietnam. WHY?"

I have one of those R2-D2's, he goes with either the Star Wars Monopoly board or the Star Wars Trivial Pursuit board but I can't remember which right now.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I found a no-name 10 inch cast iron skillet at our local thrift store for 10$. It's been sitting on our stove getting daily use for over a year now.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
3 Brooks Brothers polo shirts for 5 bucks each. They were in like new condition except for having the tags cut out (they were identifiable by the golden fleece logo) and they retail for @ $70 each. The thrift shop got donations from Brooks Brothers of returns.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
I needed some new jeans and found a pair of Ralph Lauren jeans for $7, a pair of Calvin Klein jeans for $10, and for $4, a Labyrinth movie t-shirt. I might not even wear it (it is black, a ghastly color on me), but it's so soft . . .

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

One of the local Goodwills has a huge rack of grey Muscle Milk logo t-shirts for 99 cents a shirt. I was almost tempted to buy one for the sheer oddness of it. They're clearly an overstock lot, but who ordered these things in the first place?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

One of the local Goodwills has a huge rack of grey Muscle Milk logo t-shirts for 99 cents a shirt. I was almost tempted to buy one for the sheer oddness of it. They're clearly an overstock lot, but who ordered these things in the first place?

Muscle Milk, probably?

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Picked this up for 30 bucks. It's an ankle length and really warm wool/nylon/cashmere coat.

And a 2009 left handed Squier stratocaster guitar in really good condition for 100 bucks (it's on the assembly table right now, or I'd take a pic).

So nice living within walking distance of like 6 or 7 charity stores and second hand recycling stores.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mephiston posted:

Picked this up for 30 bucks. It's an ankle length and really warm wool/nylon/cashmere coat.

And a 2009 left handed Squier stratocaster guitar in really good condition for 100 bucks (it's on the assembly table right now, or I'd take a pic).

So nice living within walking distance of like 6 or 7 charity stores and second hand recycling stores.

That'd be really nice--you can make a circuit of thrifting, without having to drive in between shops.

Can we bring up the horrible quality of vinyl records at Salvation Armies? Like, you would think in the 300+ records you might find one record that's any good, but instead your hands just get coated with dust and you hate your life.

Desmodus rotundus
Sep 15, 2013

HAY GUYS

A Strange Aeon posted:

That'd be really nice--you can make a circuit of thrifting, without having to drive in between shops.

Can we bring up the horrible quality of vinyl records at Salvation Armies? Like, you would think in the 300+ records you might find one record that's any good, but instead your hands just get coated with dust and you hate your life.

I assume with the popularity of vinyl now it's just over picked crazy fast. Unless you're there when someone drops off a bunch of decent records, I'd expect people regularly looking snatch em up quickly. Everyone I know who's into vinyl will hit up stores multiple times a week sometimes just to take a peek and see what's available.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Yeah for vinyl it's a luck of the draw thing. You gotta show up right when they put the newly dropped off stuff out. I've only been lucky that way once or twice, but you can't win if you don't try.

Back when I was in college the thrift stores were flush with decent dad rock, miss those days.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I thought this was some sort of very advanced sewing machine, but this is a calculator according to the Internet. I've never seen such a contraption.

Most of my things come from thrift stores. The nice one down the street also sells toothpaste, gum, and mouthwash for very cheap. They are all new, but I only bought them once. I don't think they have actual...active ingredients or something.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Yeah for vinyl it's a luck of the draw thing. You gotta show up right when they put the newly dropped off stuff out. I've only been lucky that way once or twice, but you can't win if you don't try.

Back when I was in college the thrift stores were flush with decent dad rock, miss those days.

I've gotten really lucky at my closest Goodwill. Iggy Pop, a copy of Rumors and a serviceable Thriller.
Aaaand 100s of weird Swedish folk bands.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Travel Icons, The Odyssey, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and a copy of Dreams From My Father from 1997.

Dreams From my Father was signed too!

The icons are my favorite part of the purchase because I've been meaning to get a travel set for a while, and stumbled upon these!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Inzombiac posted:

I've gotten really lucky at my closest Goodwill. Iggy Pop, a copy of Rumors and a serviceable Thriller.
Aaaand 100s of weird Swedish folk bands.
65 million copies of Thriller are out there; finding one isn't luck, it's an inevitability.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

A vintage pioneer stereo for 25 bucks that's usually way more money and a out of print criterion DVD is my best finds.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
A big ol' dump of video games stuff I have found over the years:

http://imgur.com/a/iPp2p

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Flipperwaldt posted:

65 million copies of Thriller are out there; finding one isn't luck, it's an inevitability.

It's more that I found a good copy for $3 before anyone else but thanks for being kind of a dick.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Inzombiac posted:

It's more that I found a good copy for $3 before anyone else but thanks for being kind of a dick.
I'm not sure what makes you think I'm not glad that you're glad that you did, friend. I'd just kill for something (in thrift store terms) as relatively exotic as Rumours or Iggy Pop.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I bought this pretty sweet Royal KMM typewriter for $40 back when I was living in Flagstaff! It works great except for the fact that the spring that is supposed to push the shift key back up is broken or missing, so I have to pull it up myself. I was able to find ribbon that fit it and I've been using it fairly regularly since then.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm not sure what makes you think I'm not glad that you're glad that you did, friend. I'd just kill for something (in thrift store terms) as relatively exotic as Rumours or Iggy Pop.

Ah, sorry then. I read that as being derisive/dismissive. My fault.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
A Christian Dior trench coat that fits my 6'4 body perfectly. I'm really lanky and it's tough to find sleeves that fit right. $20.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

The Star Wars Christmas Special on a burned DVD in a plain white case with the title scribbled on it in sharpie.

~*Life Day*~

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

porkswordonboard posted:

The Star Wars Christmas Special on a burned DVD in a plain white case with the title scribbled on it in sharpie.

~*Life Day*~

That reminds me of a mix tape I found full of 80s songs that someone had labeled the 'Rainbow Condom Mix' and drawn a decent illustration of some dude sitting at a bar.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

titties posted:

I have one of those R2-D2's, he goes with either the Star Wars Monopoly board or the Star Wars Trivial Pursuit board but I can't remember which right now.

Trivial Pursuit. I still remember the sounds it makes clearly.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Len posted:

Trivial Pursuit. I still remember the sounds it makes clearly.

It's a nice dorky thing to have in my dice bag, though he goes off occasionally by accident.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
When I was a kid I got this enormous M&M plush that was like 4 feet by 3 feet, and the M was backwards. Kind of wish I'd kept it :/

Also I have a 1912 printing of Tom Sawyer with a super nice binding and thick pages. Probably cost a ton back then.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Tex Avery posted:

I bought this pretty sweet Royal KMM typewriter for $40 back when I was living in Flagstaff! It works great except for the fact that the spring that is supposed to push the shift key back up is broken or missing, so I have to pull it up myself. I was able to find ribbon that fit it and I've been using it fairly regularly since then.

Wew typewriters!

I managed to get 3 typewriters at the goodwill near the first house I lived in post college.

I swear there had to have been someone off loading their parents or grandparents junk because there was a new set of stuff there every other month.

I got two mechanical Royals and an electric Brother typewriter. The Brother is from the late 70s or so. The Royals are from I think the late 60s/70s and like 1940 or so. It's a Quiet Deluxe. They all came in cases and fully functional. Well nearly fully functional for the real old one. Had to carefully clean out years of WD-40 abuse and relubricate it. Runs like a dream now.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

porkswordonboard posted:

~*Life Day*~

A couple of Christmass's back the Red Letter Media folks mailed out a bunch of them to randos in the phone book after their review - that might be one of them if you're in the Milwaukee area?

In my thrift I've found

$30 for a Moschino dress (Probably worth 600)
$5 Ralph Lauren Polo khaki shorts
$3.50 Thierry Mugler purse (Hard to get a value but I found one on a consignment shop online for $350)
$7.50 Laura Ashley comforter
$20 Alexander McQueen Skull Scarf (which you can still buy for 300/500)
$6 each for Ben Sherman and Calvin Klien button down shirts that fit perfectly
$4 for Fred Perry polo shirt
$2 Ferragamo tie (Retail at $200+)
$6 YSL tie
$2 Liberty of London shirt in their famous Morris 'Strawberry Theif' pattern
$2 Cashmere sweater
$4 Versace Rosenthal plate (Retails around 80/100)
$5 Wedgewood mini plate of Boadicea
$3 Armani Collezioni cashmere jumper (Probs about 600)
For crazy low prices around - tonnes of embroidery/cross stitch kits with flosses, hoops and cloth - esp DMC brand ones, fabrics and vintage sewing supplies like my current embroidery scissors, buttons from the 20s and 50s ect.
Free: Fossil sunglasses, London Fog windbreaker, Armani Collezioni blouse

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

oompa loompa jesus loving christ

i didnt buy it sorry

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

oompa loompa jesus loving christ

i didnt buy it sorry

Oh, man, why not?!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
every couch I've ever owned

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

lt_kennedy posted:

A couple of Christmass's back the Red Letter Media folks mailed out a bunch of them to randos in the phone book after their review - that might be one of them if you're in the Milwaukee area?

In my thrift I've found

$3.50 Thierry Mugler purse (Hard to get a value but I found one on a consignment shop online for $350)
$6 YSL tie
$2 Cashmere sweater
For crazy low prices around - tonnes of embroidery/cross stitch kits with flosses, hoops and cloth - esp DMC brand ones, fabrics and vintage sewing supplies like my current embroidery scissors, buttons from the 20s and 50s ect.

Jesus loving Christ, you are the MASTER.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

lt_kennedy posted:

In my thrift I've found

$6 YSL tie
$2 Cashmere sweater

I do pretty OK with stereo stuff, but I wish I knew enough about clothes to get into it and know what is real and what is replicas. The impression I get from watching resellers on youtube talk about clothes is that you have to spend many hours picking through thrift stores to find the really good finds though, while with stereo stuff I can just throw a look at a stack of stuff and pick out the good ones in seconds.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

evobatman posted:

I do pretty OK with stereo stuff, but I wish I knew enough about clothes to get into it and know what is real and what is replicas. The impression I get from watching resellers on youtube talk about clothes is that you have to spend many hours picking through thrift stores to find the really good finds though, while with stereo stuff I can just throw a look at a stack of stuff and pick out the good ones in seconds.

It takes practice, but if you know what parts of the garment/bag/shoe to look at, you can tell immediately.

For example, a knockoff designer bag will almost always have a lovely lining and/or hosed-up hardware. The body of the bag may be pure Vuitton, but if the zipper feels like plastic, it's plastic. A fake dress might not have exactly the right internal tags. You can google common aspects of fake designer goods by designer and model or garment name. Some brands' websites may also have a small section dedicated to how to spot fake versions of their goods- Tokidoki, for example.

That's different from cabbage. Cabbage is the stuff that DOES 'fall off the back of the truck."

Fashion Babylon by Imogen Edwards-Jones posted:

Cabbage is the stuff that falls off the back of a lorry, or indeed out of the factory gate, and ends up on a market stall. It comes from the leftover product that the factory hasn’t used in the making of the bag/dress/shirt. It disappears out the back of the factory and ends up in a Florence or Milan market. The Gucci handbags in Florence market look just like the real ones simply because they are the real ones. [The narrator's company is] a small company and can’t really afford cabbage.

You'll know your bag is cabbage if you send it to Prada to be repaired and they confiscate it because ist serial number isn't in their database. Which is how my friend found out her bag was fake. :downs:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Didn't buy it because I'm pretty sure it's impossible to play now. I doubt the people who work there even know what this is.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Didn't buy it because I'm pretty sure it's impossible to play now. I doubt the people who work there even know what this is.

Shoulda picked it up, Strong Bad's birthday is right around the corner.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My local thrift store had a bunch of those proto laser disk things you played with a big dumb record player the last time I was in there. They were mixed in with the records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

BigFactory posted:

My local thrift store had a bunch of those proto laser disk things you played with a big dumb record player the last time I was in there. They were mixed in with the records.

I have a couple of these of Disney films I grew up with! Got them out of sheer nostalgia and just the weirdness of the CED format. Always wondered how good/bad/indifferent the quality is in contemporary and modern terms.