Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The smart move for Microsoft is probably to shore up their UK and USA market. I think that's the only territories they have any sort of competition. Allow keyboard and mouse and let them play against pc. I'm sure there's a few people out there that would love to have a console that can play with their buddies who game on pc.

(is xbox 1 still outsold by pstv or ps3 in Japan?)

Univbee I could see a lot of people being where you are. Dvds work even in a 4k player. Vhs to DVD was huge. Costs went down, size went down, easier to produce. Bluray these days is almost as cheap as DVD, just look for sales. And you're right not a lot of people are gonna invest heavily in a 4k collection, but at this point, if you buy a TV over 45 inches and it's not a cheap brand, it'll be 4k. And the technology will soon be cheap enough that anyone could get a 4k player for 60 bucks. People have no need to reinvest since their dvds still work and it's watchable to them. 4k is nice for the new content going forward and it's not easily streamable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

The smart move for Microsoft is probably to shore up their UK and USA market. I think that's the only territories they have any sort of competition. Allow keyboard and mouse and let them play against pc. I'm sure there's a few people out there that would love to have a console that can play with their buddies who game on pc.

(is xbox 1 still outsold by pstv or ps3 in Japan?)

Univbee I could see a lot of people being where you are. Dvds work even in a 4k player. Vhs to DVD was huge. Costs went down, size went down, easier to produce. Bluray these days is almost as cheap as DVD, just look for sales. And you're right not a lot of people are gonna invest heavily in a 4k collection, but at this point, if you buy a TV over 45 inches and it's not a cheap brand, it'll be 4k. And the technology will soon be cheap enough that anyone could get a 4k player for 60 bucks. People have no need to reinvest since their dvds still work and it's watchable to them. 4k is nice for the new content going forward and it's not easily streamable.

Japan doesn't track the PSTV anymore as it's officially discontinued, but PS3 last week sold 704 units (double the Wii U) and XB1 sold 132.

And the thing is so few people care enough about the p's on their movies and TV shows to go very far out of their way to get it, Blu-ray players are still kind of rare compared to DVD players, mainly because people as a whole give zero fucks.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It's kind of amazing that so much work is going into another round of nobody buying Phantom Dust.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

It's kind of amazing that so much work is going into another round of nobody buying Phantom Dust.

People are starved for an xbox game and this one is a cult classic so im sure it will get a lot of buzz and sell decent on pc and then die out because hearthstone and overwatch

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I keep thinking Phantom Dust is some Atlus jsrpg. What kind of game was it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

I keep thinking Phantom Dust is some Atlus jsrpg. What kind of game was it?

its an arena battle game where you choose your abilities from a collection of cards as a loadout. it was designed by the panzer dragoon director

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

basically its one of those games that has a bunch of fake fans who haven't played it but know its supposed to be cool and different and when the game comes out they'll buy it but end up not liking it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Oh, It's Steel Battalion.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I never actually saw a Steel Battalion setup in person. It was much too expensive to even consider buying for myself since I was in college at the time. Was it actually any good?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Some dude I knew in the army bought one with his iraq money and played it about once and it didn't look that great to be honest.

the controller setup was kinda neat for a console game but eh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played mechwarior with a flightstick in highschool

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Real hurthling! posted:

honestly Mech Warrior 2 on a flightstick in hs was probably still better than Steel BN

source: me too

edit: hell and 3 and 4

MW:O not so much

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I never actually saw a Steel Battalion setup in person. It was much too expensive to even consider buying for myself since I was in college at the time. Was it actually any good?

Having owned it for $50 used, no. And it used such a pathetically small amount of the actual screen to show the battlefield that I wonder if it was for framerate concerns.

The game was not as good as the controller. It should've been made for this generation, at the earliest.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Real hurthling! posted:

I played it with a Sidewinder 3D Pro. Twist axis and HAT switch were required equipment for that game (and also Descent).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phantom Dust is a pretty darn neat game conceptually, but it also had loooots of rough budget game edges and some pretty obvious dominating decks. Unless they overhaul the game to the point of being brand new people are in for a rude awakening when they get their hands on it. The Plot Twist was honestly kind of refreshing and funny.

I will say, I love it warts and all and think you should play a battle in it if only once to see a pretty unique implementation of card game and fighting game.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 14, 2017

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Barudak posted:

Phantom Dust is a pretty darn neat game conceptually, but it also had loooots of rough budget game edges and some pretty obvious dominating decks. Unless they overhaul the game to the point of being brand new people are in for a rude awakening when they get their hands on it. The Plot Twist was honestly kind of refreshing and funny.

I will say, I love it warts and all and think you should play a battle in it if only once to see a pretty unique implementation of card game and fighting game.

I loved it back in the day and would love to see it modernized and brought to the present day, but by itself it's not a console mover for me. I really hope they have more stuff to show at E3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Morby posted:

I loved it back in the day and would love to see it modernized and brought to the present day, but by itself it's not a console mover for me. I really hope they have more stuff to show at E3.

Oh good lord no its not a sustem mover. Unless the game is ground up redesigned its target audience will be "me" and I was the target audience for the Bone so they shouldnt aim at me.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Barudak posted:

Oh good lord no its not a sustem mover. Unless the game is ground up redesigned its target audience will be "me" and I was the target audience for the Bone so they shouldnt aim at me.

What good is the "most powerful console ever built" with 0 compelling exclusives (if you don't care about Halo, Forza, and Gears)? Part of the reason I was disappointed about Scalebound being cancelled is because it looked interesting and like a unique addition to the Xbox lineup...

But then I thought the same about Quantam Break and, welp!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

univbee posted:

Japan doesn't track the PSTV anymore as it's officially discontinued, but PS3 last week sold 704 units (double the Wii U) and XB1 sold 132.

And the thing is so few people care enough about the p's on their movies and TV shows to go very far out of their way to get it, Blu-ray players are still kind of rare compared to DVD players, mainly because people as a whole give zero fucks.

Yeah I get that. It's not gonna become a multi billion dollar industry. The technology will just get cheap enough that eventually we'll see a good chunk of the market be bluray and 4k players, or even 4k/hdr content via streaming.

Back to the xbox one though, they really need some amazing exclusives for the Scorpio. They haven't really made that many titles to draw people in in the first three years of the xbox one. By this fall it'll have been 4 years. It'll probably be about two years and we'll see the next generation. So far all we really know is that surprise, we'll get yet another Forza game on the Scorpio but anyone who would have given a poo poo about Forza has likely bought an Xbone by now for one or plays it on pc (I'm correct in that some of the newer Forza games are part of the play anywhere program?)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox hasnt had a volume of good exclusives since like 2010. The end of 360 to now was just coasting and they dont have the studios to make more

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
At this point they would have to buy exclusives, and I don't think many 3rd party companies are willing to give up their playstation base considering how big the ps4 share is.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

seiferguy posted:

At this point they would have to buy exclusives, and I don't think many 3rd party companies are willing to give up their playstation base considering how big the ps4 share is.

Capcom and square both took money for a year

I bet theres another one this year

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/08/first-official-xbox-project-scorpio-headset-announced

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Oh boy! Accessories for a console that doesn't have a release date or a price point yet!

I know this is IGN click bait and it will work with PC and existing Xbone, but still. Their E3 better be loving amazing with interesting non Halo/Forza/Gears exclusives that will be available within the next year or this thing is toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
If any of you are interested in playing the Phantom Dust port or whatever there is a discord you can join: https://discord.gg/APXS9

Play Phantom Dust

• Locked thread