Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yup. After 7 years Prison Break is back for a limited 9 part event series. The show that was originally slated to only run 2 seasons and wound up giving us 2 additional and unnecessary seasons returned from the dead (along with Michael Scofield) April 4th on FOX. Personally, I unabashedly enjoyed every season but I have very questionable taste in a lot of things so whatever and I'll fight anyone that does not agree that Season 1 was one of the most fun seasons of TV ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9T-9fZn_oA

So the general setup is that Michael faked his own death and is currently in a prison in Yemen of all places (with new tattoos!!) and the old crew find themselves brought back together for who knows what the gently caress beyond getting Michael out of the prison. I'll be disappointed if there's not some world-ending conspiracy that our heroes expose and prevent.

Most of the old cast is back - Michael and Lincoln, Sara, C-Note, Sucre, and my favorite Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell. I'm certainly going to miss my other favorites from the original run namely Brad Bellick, Gretchen, John Abruzzi and the wonderfully assholish and smarmy Agent Kellerman. Thankfully though we get ISIL fighters as at least one group of villains this time around. Thanks for being topical, Prison Break.

I thought the premiere was pretty good considering the source material. You've got your mysterious coded messages, car chases, fist fights ("Greetings from the US prison system, bitches!!"), and of course a big goddamn shithole of a prison. Honestly it felt like not a single beat from the original was skipped (good or bad, you be the judge) and I am totally locked in 100% for the rest of the surely ridiculous ride.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Michael Scofield spent the past 7 years of his life aiding ISIS.

This show. This show is magical.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not going to lie, I enjoyed the HELL out of the first episode. Framing it with T-Bag was a brilliant way to go. Right off the bat we have a huge conspiracy, crazy tattoos, and a ridiculous prison. I'm in for this ride.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
T-Bag has an advanced experimental robotic hand which responds to brain waves in the year 2017.

C-Note spent 7 years becoming an overseas expert in Yemeni politics.

Sucre... Sucre got a day job and is just sort of along for the ride.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Another Person posted:

T-Bag has an advanced experimental robotic hand which responds to brain waves in the year 2017.

C-Note spent 7 years becoming an overseas expert in Yemeni politics.

Sucre... Sucre got a day job and is just sort of along for the ride.

I hope T-Bag's hand turns on him Evil Dead style

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I love how the recap ignores the garbage fire that was the Mexican prison. Also didn't he have to have some sort of surgery in the last season to try to fix his brain issue that ultimately killed him? Are they just pretending season 3 and 4 didn't exist?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Getting the impression Scofield was hired by the "Government" to break out some American Delta/Special/Seal Team dudes who got caught and stuck in a Yememi prison and they helped fake his death but some other weird shadowy government faction is trying to prevent it

Could be 900% wrong but that was my gut feeling after the first episode

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

Getting the impression Scofield was hired by the "Government" to break out some American Delta/Special/Seal Team dudes who got caught and stuck in a Yememi prison and they helped fake his death but some other weird shadowy government faction is trying to prevent it

Could be 900% wrong but that was my gut feeling after the first episode

And him being all like "who are you?!!? I dont know you?!"?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Holyshoot posted:

And him being all like "who are you?!!? I dont know you?!"?

Did you notice how he very deliberately and conspicuously put his hands on the bars with his new palm tattoos towards Linc? I'm betting there's something there Linc needs his dumb muscle brain to figure out a clue as to why Michael needed the gang there.

e: I'm so glad this ridiculous show is back.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

IRQ posted:

Did you notice how he very deliberately and conspicuously put his hands on the bars with his new palm tattoos towards Linc? I'm betting there's something there Linc needs his dumb muscle brain to figure out a clue as to why Michael needed the gang there.

e: I'm so glad this ridiculous show is back.

Ahh, ya, that's right. And then he half closed his palms facing them out as he walked away.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

I hope T-Bag's hand turns on him Evil Dead style

I actually hope T-Bag's hand gets hacked by the guy who hacked Linc's car. Get all Watch_Dogs on us.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I think it's just a lovely side story that will be forgotten so the actor doesn't have to use a plastic hand anymore.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Holyshoot posted:

I think it's just a lovely side story that will be forgotten so the actor doesn't have to use a plastic hand anymore.

Yeah and I love it for that, they'll just put a glove on him and call it kosher.

I wonder if the show will have the robo hand get cut off at some point before the end, that's definitely a Prisonbreak thing to do.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

IRQ posted:

Yeah and I love it for that, they'll just put a glove on him and call it kosher.

I wonder if the show will have the robo hand get cut off at some point before the end, that's definitely a Prisonbreak thing to do.

Yea, I can imagine the actor was like "i'm not working with a god drat prosthetic the whole season".

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I don't remember anything that happened after the first season. Still worth watching, because I'm definitely not gonna watch season 3 and 4 again.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Eezee posted:

I don't remember anything that happened after the first season. Still worth watching, because I'm definitely not gonna watch season 3 and 4 again.

You should be fine. He was supposed to be dead due to a brain tumor or something like that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

loving Kellerman. Smarmy as always.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Kellerman just showed up. This is already so ridiculous.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just caught the episode since I missed it last night. Holy poo poo this has gone 2/2 for me. I'm loving this season and holy poo poo Michael, what are you doing???

It's pretty much exactly what I needed after the dumpster fire that was 24.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
getting close to a top isis dude to murder him for the CIA?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

there is no way it is a side story, the hand schematics are in the opening credits

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The only reasons to watch the last couple seasons of the original run were Robert Knepper and William Fichtner being clearly much better actors than the rest of the cast.

I'd love for Mahone to be back but apparently the showrunners literally didn't know what to do with his character and that's why he wasn't asked to come back. Jesus guys, if you have an actor of Fichtner's talent available, you make up something.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Mahone was my favorite character. I'm a sucker for redemption arcs.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

sticklefifer posted:

The only reasons to watch the last couple seasons of the original run were Robert Knepper and William Fichtner being clearly much better actors than the rest of the cast.

After season 3, I didn't really feel like slogging through a full 22 episodes. I feel like I made a good choice.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I really didn't pay close attention to this show when it was on the air 10 years ago. The last time I saw Kellerman was when he was in the back of a van and some guys shot him and another guy to death. At least that's what was implied because they didn't show it. Did he make any other appearances after this?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ego-bot posted:

I really didn't pay close attention to this show when it was on the air 10 years ago. The last time I saw Kellerman was when he was in the back of a van and some guys shot him and another guy to death. At least that's what was implied because they didn't show it. Did he make any other appearances after this?

Yes he shows up again in the (previous) final season

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ego-bot posted:

if you don't see someone die on screen then they aren't really dead

SynchronizedCocks
Aug 22, 2004

If a zombie has wooden flooring... does they put it down themselves, or pay someone else to do it?

sticklefifer posted:

I'd love for Mahone to be back but apparently the showrunners literally didn't know what to do with his character and that's why he wasn't asked to come back. Jesus guys, if you have an actor of Fichtner's talent available, you make up something.

You would think having a character who is almost as smart as Scofield, has experience of over seas operations and breaking out of prisons, is a former government agent so probably has a bunch of contacts who might come in handy for getting in and out of a warzone(with no passport), and also a bit of a killing machine, would be quite useful in this scenario. And he had the best theme music.

No Mahone aside I enjoyed seeing the old gang again. I'm quite intrigued by T-Bag's storyline, mostly because I can't fathom why anyone considers him worth keeping around. Let alone giving him an expensive new hand.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

God drat, was Dominic Purcell always this bad of an actor? I don't remember him being so wooden in the original run.

I really hope I can unsee Lori from Walking Dead whenever Sara is on screen.

So mini-series? What are the chance they extend it like the original run?

Holyshoot posted:

Are they just pretending season 3 and 4 didn't exist?

That's for the best for everyone involved. I remember this show being the first time I experienced a show going from really really good to total "what the gently caress?!?!" :confused:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SynchronizedCocks posted:

You would think having a character who is almost as smart as Scofield, has experience of over seas operations and breaking out of prisons, is a former government agent so probably has a bunch of contacts who might come in handy for getting in and out of a warzone(with no passport), and also a bit of a killing machine, would be quite useful in this scenario. And he had the best theme music.

No Mahone aside I enjoyed seeing the old gang again. I'm quite intrigued by T-Bag's storyline, mostly because I can't fathom why anyone considers him worth keeping around. Let alone giving him an expensive new hand.

Sucre's appearance was the best.

Then he immediately got cut because he's useless. :v:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sucre's appearance was the best.

Then he immediately got cut because he's useless. :v:

Sucre will be back. I can guarantee that.

He will still be useless. I can also guarantee that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

KilGrey posted:

So mini-series? What are the chance they extend it like the original run?

Zero. The showrunner said this is it, the ending is final. Fox could change his mind with a truckload of money, but that's what he's been saying.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

So Kellerman needed Sara's water bottle for her DNA so he can clone her, right?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

So Kellerman needed Sara's water bottle for her DNA so he can clone her, right?

He just genuinely hates bottled water. I hope every scene he's in he complains about something ridiculous.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

T-Bag and Sarah will be the best team up. Maybe Sucre can tag along too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just caught the episode. Holy poo poo this show is awesome again. The breakout going to poo poo was genuinely unexpected but I suppose it makes sense given how there's still 6 episodes to go.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Hope phone IT guy is ok. :ohdear:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

That was Michael's weakest escape plan yet. He's getting sloppy in his old age.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just caught up, so glad to see this back, it's still pretty drat good to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The entire army of ISIL. The whole thing.

• Locked thread