Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

cinnamon desktop really whips the gnomes rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

akadajet posted:

this was done back after osx got released and had those genie minimize effects

a bunch of linux nerds looked at it and said 'we can take it to the next level' and then compiz fusion was released. cue stupid rear end videos of the effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRZnLnvCEsw&hd=1

normally i'd consider myself well versed in the arts of anime (a connoisseur if you will). however, ashamedly i cannot identify the anime that wallpaper comes from

i guess it's time for me to admit that anime's a young man's game and i'm officially too old

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

peepsalot posted:

cinnamon desktop really whips the gnomes rear end

Nah

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Gnome 3 is easily the best desktop environment of any operating system

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i pronounce it gnome, not gee-nome

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm an adult and can manage my own windows tyvm

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

akadajet posted:

this was done back after osx got released and had those genie minimize effects

a bunch of linux nerds looked at it and said 'we can take it to the next level' and then compiz fusion was released. cue stupid rear end videos of the effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRZnLnvCEsw&hd=1

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
window managers are unnecessary and irrelevant, if you're running any software on line-ox that can't be configured and executed via ssh, you done already hosed up

if at any point you think you've found a use case for a linux desktop, you are in fact wrong

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the best desktop os is actually UNIX (apple macos sierra 10.12)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

pram really knows what he's talking about here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pram posted:

I'll grant this in the general case, while specifying that the best os for getting real work done as a professional is Windows 10.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

I'll grant this in the general case, while specifying that the best os for getting real work done as a professional is Windows 10.

No real work has ever or will ever involve a computer in any fashion.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thats already stymies gimmick you unoriginal gently caress

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

ShadowHawk posted:

And now the CEO's left.

Hacker news noted that a lot of these changes came after "an external audit" which is almost always a sign that a company is hoping to be acquired.

So who's buying Canonical?

ms

i can almost hear the screaming of c. 2000 era Slashdot commentators.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

No real work has ever or will ever involve a computer in any fashion.

a fair point.

the best os for setting up or laying out real work that will later be performed by a poor person or robot of some kind is Windows 10.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:jackbud:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pram
Jun 10, 2001

i have one of these lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i'm the vulture-eye view of a yoga class

welcome, to linux on a broken desktop!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

the dream of the 90s is alive on linux

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

more like the dream of immortan joe, judging by war boy there

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

linux for awkward three ways -- intel x86 edition

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

that guy is about to show them his warty warthog

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol I had a box full of those. IIRC they had weird naked lady desktop backgrounds included as well

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

lol I had a box full of those. IIRC they had weird naked lady desktop backgrounds included as well

Yep. They had some program where they'd send you a box for free so you could give them out to your friends.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

akadajet posted:

Yep. They had some program where they'd send you a box for free so you could give them out to your friends.

now they aren't friends anymore.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ultravoices posted:

now they aren't friends anymore.

I remember somebody asking me "what's it based on?" "debian, I think?" "eh... I guess I'll take one"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Of course I couldn't run it because it didn't support the sound chipset in my Dell shitbox. Classic linux!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

I remember somebody asking me "what's it based on?" "debian, I think?" "eh... I guess I'll take one"

to be fair, it's much better than stock Debian because they try to make it usable

akadajet posted:

Of course I couldn't run it because it didn't support the sound chipset in my Dell shitbox. Classic linux!

lmao I remember buying a sound card for ubuntu because my built in one wouldn't work.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

akadajet posted:

there were so many distros back then getting excited about a new one would be a sign of serious mental illness.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i remember jumping through 999 hoops to get my modem working on BeOS in 2004

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i got 99 hoops but a linux ain't one

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Management posted:

to be fair, it's much better than stock Debian because they try to make it usable
Also at the time of the first Ubuntu release Debian hadn't put out a stable release in something like 3+ years.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i find it funny how hard people will work to avoid using kde

here let me install this two man fork of gnome 2 with some gtk 3 poo poo mashed into the side that isn't compatible with my applications but look i have a start bar again!!!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

i remember jumping through 999 hoops to get my modem working on BeOS in 2004

wasn't Be already dead by 2004? my solution was to put a FreeBSD box with a modem attached in front of it.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i find it funny how hard people will work to avoid using kde

here let me install this two man fork of gnome 2 with some gtk 3 poo poo mashed into the side that isn't compatible with my applications but look i have a start bar again!!!

kde is bad but at least they've got the right idea about how things ought to work

there is no replacement for a taskbar that sufficiently replicates its functionality

that said there's no reason to use anything based on gnome 2 when even gnome 3 itself comes with a 'just use cinnamon' option at login

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's a total trainwreck and is a really gross thing to look at for eight hours a day on top of that

but enough about me, kde is also bad

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

why they gotta cover up her tits like that??

• Locked thread