Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

reminder: that was the graphic for the login box lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

akadajet posted:

Yep. They had some program where they'd send you a box for free so you could give them out to your friends.

I used one disc and the box just gathered dust until i threw the rest away lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

looking forward to the ubuntu pasties merch

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
If someone ever did make a really good desktop/window manager/whatever for linux it would just create another SystemD type controversy where the community eats itself alive in a bizarre reaction to actual improvement.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it already happened

the good window manager is called gnome 3

really though the modern term is "desktop environment"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLIj7AvTYk0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why the girl on the left boutta give a ghost beezy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:flashfap:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

carry on then posted:

not even the most puzzling, someone forked kde3:

https://www.trinitydesktop.org/

ill be the callsign for an email address

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I just remembered it was Canonical who helped Microsoft make the whole bash for Windows 10 thing.

They're totally getting bought by MS lol.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

theres also a bunch of ubuntu integration in azure

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Microsoft Ubuntu 10 Professional

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ubuntu 21 ballmery badger

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Sagebrush posted:

why the girl on the left boutta give a ghost beezy

she's preparing to be micro shafted

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

If someone ever did make a really good desktop/window manager/whatever for linux it would just create another SystemD type controversy where the community eats itself alive in a bizarre reaction to actual improvement.

because it's against the unix spirit my friend

don't make one thing that does multiple functions well, or even a few things that do a single function well, but a shitload of things that do a single function real badly!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

didn't know richard d james had a modeling side gig

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

that happened already

the gnome vs kde split will never heal

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

ShadowHawk posted:

I just remembered it was Canonical who helped Microsoft make the whole bash for Windows 10 thing.

the most recent win 10 update has more bash functionality.

like a big chunk of the announcement was "hey we updated cmd.exe for the first time in 30 years, now it sucks way less"

it's coming.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ultravoices posted:

the most recent win 10 update has more bash functionality.

like a big chunk of the announcement was "hey we updated cmd.exe for the first time in 30 years, now it sucks way less"

it's coming.

ms can't integrate gplv3 code into their base os. no way any lawyer would sign off on that.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

The Management posted:

ms can't integrate gplv3 code into their base os. no way any lawyer would sign off on that.

fair enough, but grandma doesn't care about bash functionality, it can be segregated off onto developers update where janitors like me can feel EMOTIONS about getting to janitor windows with inbuilt linux that is as easy to install as pushing a couple buttons.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

The Management posted:

lmao or they could just do it like literally hundreds of other companies using gpl code while ignoring the license

what is the organization that gives all of its products away going to pay their lawyers with? RMS toe clippings?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

GPL is the dumbest poo poo ever

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

GPL is about FREEDOM

* tries to use GPL code *

sir im sorry you didnt follow these incredibly strict guidelines laid out in paragraph 7 section 3 about the color of your text im afraid youll have to take your project down

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao remember when VLC first came out for iphone and they had to take it down because using GPL code with any kind of drm was a violation of the license

FREEDOM (of our users from being able to use our software)

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

BiohazrD posted:

lmao or they could just do it like literally hundreds of other companies using gpl code while ignoring the license

what is the organization that gives all of its products away going to pay their lawyers with? RMS toe clippings?

i thought that v3 hasn't ever been tested in court anyway

like it is a idealistic mess thought up by some 'information is free, man' cosplayers.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

guaranteed

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
we will finally see the merging of shaggar and shadowhawk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
shaggarhawk

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-buys-canonical-kills-ubuntu-linux-forever/

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BiohazrD posted:

gplv3 is a risk to their patent portfolio. some competitor will fund a suit to access the patents for free.

or they could do what apple does and stay on bsd and gplv2 forever. and also switch to a new compiler.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

they run unmodified linux binaries on a windows kernel. there's no gpl issue because there are no derivative works

as long as microsoft is happy to provide the source code and build scripts for the (unmodified!) linux userland, they're A-OK

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

shagger is going to commit suicide

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
windows 10 now with unity

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i literally do think that microsoft opted for the ubuntu collaboration on the windows subsystem for linux because they too realize that ubuntu is sort of poo poo, and it helps no real competitor in any real way when they implement it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Linux subsystem for windows is a bizarre side project where Microsoft wanted to see if they could make windows posix compliant for no other reason than to have the best posix compliant os. nobody anywhere needs or wants posix, but they're doing it anyways

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

Linux subsystem for windows is a bizarre side project where Microsoft wanted to see if they could make windows posix compliant for no other reason than to have the best posix compliant os. nobody anywhere needs or wants posix, but they're doing it anyways

windows has had a Unix subsystem since NT4.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

actually, microsoft loves linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

windows nt 3.5 was posix-compliant

mostly pointlessly so, needed to be posix-compliant to be possible to sell to the us government

• Locked thread