Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i find it funny how hard people will work to avoid using kde

here let me install this two man fork of gnome 2 with some gtk 3 poo poo mashed into the side that isn't compatible with my applications but look i have a start bar again!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

If someone ever did make a really good desktop/window manager/whatever for linux it would just create another SystemD type controversy where the community eats itself alive in a bizarre reaction to actual improvement.

that happened already

the gnome vs kde split will never heal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

ms can't integrate gplv3 code into their base os. no way any lawyer would sign off on that.

they run unmodified linux binaries on a windows kernel. there's no gpl issue because there are no derivative works

as long as microsoft is happy to provide the source code and build scripts for the (unmodified!) linux userland, they're A-OK

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i literally do think that microsoft opted for the ubuntu collaboration on the windows subsystem for linux because they too realize that ubuntu is sort of poo poo, and it helps no real competitor in any real way when they implement it

I assumed they are partnering with canonical because red hat and suse turned them down

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Ubuntu is the most popular cloud VM guest and ~cloud is the future~

So I'm pretty sure 90% of this comes from the Azure arm of MS, which has a bit of an independent mandate.

pls post your sources

how on earth can ubuntu be more numerous than "amazon linux" aka centos

• Locked thread