Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

After what seems like a lifetime, the classic television series Mystery Science Theater 3000 Doctor Who is back for a new series! Remember Doctor Who? The show about the guy with the time machine that was first broadcast during the Douglas-Home government? You know, he fights monsters and robot. C'mon, it's got old what's-his-face in it, the guy from the Thick of It.

Anyway, Doctor Who is about to embark on 12 new episodes (not including the Christmas special) where he will do battle with enemies new and old alongside Nardole, who has been promoted from 'Christmas companion' to 'actual companion', and new companion Bill. From the trailers we've seen (which I'm not posting here due to the presence of a returning nemesis that will appear in the penultimate episode), she is a bit naive. Being a lunchlady might do that! Considering this is Peter Capaldi's last series as the Doctor and Stephen Moffat's last series as showrunner, it is unknown whether or not Bill will stick around longer than this year. Perhaps Chris Chibnall, who is taking over the show in 2018, wants a clean slate like the one RTD gave Moffat in 2010. We don't know!

The series runs weekly from 15 April to 1 July (with no Eurovision break, thank goodness):

1) The Pilot
2) Smile
3) Thin Ice
4) Knock Knock
5) Oxygen
6) Extremis
7) The Pyramid at the End of the World
8) The Lie of the Land
9) Empress of Mars
10) The Eaters of Light
11) World Enough and Time
12) The Doctor Falls

In addition, RiffTrax (Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett) will riff the Five Doctors on August 17th in cinemas across the United States (and possibly Canada)! If you live outside the US, RiffTrax will eventually release an audio file of just the jokes, since they have done that for live shows where there are rights issues. Us Americans will spoil all the good jokes for you anyway.

The previous thread can be found here. Now for the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
By edict of the moderators, this is a SPOILER-FREE ZONE. Other than backstage stuff (hiring people), DO NOT POST SPOILERS. AT ALL. Even if the Washington Post reveals video of Donald Trump handing a big stack of government secrets to Vladimir Putin and one of the papers is labeled 'Martha Jones is a Rutan', DON'T POST IT HERE. If you must post about spoilers, go to the spoiler thread. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

HOWEVER, and this is important, as soon as HRH the Queen watches the show on BBC One, anything that happens on-air will no longer be considered a spoiler (next week's preview not withstanding). That means us Johnny Foreigners who don't use :filez: need to stay away from this thread for most of Saturday (and Sunday, depending on if you live in Australia or New Zealand). Since it's the British public who funds Doctor Who, they get the right to post about the pro-Brexit scribe [insert your least favorite writer here] made the Doctor say before everyone else.

WHERE DO I START?
If you want to start with the revival, you should start with The Eleventh Hour. This doesn't mean to disregard the 9th and 10th Doctor's stories, but it's the easiest way to get caught up. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO ON TELEVISION?

Original Series:
USA - Retro TV, some PBS stations
Australia - Syfy
UK and Canada - you're out of luck

Current Series:
UK - BBC One (first run), Watch
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS stations
Canada - Space
Australia - ABC1 (first run), ABC2, Syfy

WHERE CAN I STREAM DOCTOR WHO?

Original Series:
USA - BritBox*
Everyone else - you're out of luck (Australians can watch the TV movie on Stan, though!)

*absent but mentioned are Day of the Daleks, Planet of the Daleks, the Five Doctors, Resurrection of the Daleks, Revelation of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks. Absent and not mentioned are the Abominable Snowmen, the Ice Warriors, and Earthshock.

Current Series:
UK - Netflix
USA - Amazon Video
Canada - CraveTV
Australia - Netflix & Stan

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU RAYS?
Just for the bonus features alone.

AN INCREASINGLY LESS BRIEF GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are hundreds, probably thousands of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people like Minuet in Hell, believe it or not). This is a post telling you the basic info on the different series of titles there are. I'm only covering ongoing ranges, since devoting a paragraph to the Stage Plays seems a bit silly. If you're wondering why I'm about to spend a good portion of the OP about audio dramas, you are clearly new to the Doctor Who thread.

The Monthly Range
Since 1999, Big Finish have released, on a consistent basis, mostly standalone stories featuring the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh (formerly including Eighth) Doctors. Up to 225th(!) release this month.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures
Tom Baker gets his own line of releases.

Philip Hinchcliffe Presents
Back on again! Another Tom Baker line of releases, all based on stories written by former showrunner Philip Hinchcliffe.

The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield
Sylvester McCoy (and later, David Warner) plays a supporting role to Bernice Summerfield, a companion introduced in the Virgin New Adventures line of books.

Novel Adaptations
Based on Virgin New Adventures and Virgin Missing Adventures, the book ranges that lasted Doctor Who fans from 1991 to 1997.

The Eighth Doctor Adventures / Dark Eyes / Doom Coalition
Paul McGann's Doctor also gets his own line. Goons love 'em.

The Companion Chronicles / The Early Adventures
This is important: THESE ARE NOT AUDIO DRAMAS. These are "enhanced audiobooks" for the most part, which means that one person does all the parts while another gives narration, but also contains sound effects and music cues. The Companion Chronicles usually feature just one actor, while the Early Adventures feature small casts.

Spinoffs
There are a ton of these, ranging from good (I, Davros) to who gives a poo poo (anything involving a companion from the audio series).

FINALLY, here's a quote from ten years ago about The Shakespeare Code:

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Second-worst episode ever, easily.

Hahahahahaha, holy poo poo.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Round things. Wonderful threads, all of them. Redecorated. New teeth.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:aaaaa:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I am excited that I will finally be watching new Dr. Who again in just ten days time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
God, skipping 2016 was a mistake, huh?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I was more excited than I am.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Is this how they felt when S26 was airing? This sense of unease?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

*bursts in, out of breath, breathing heavily*

Doctor....Who....loving....sucks.....

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

*bursts in, out of breath, breathing heavily*

Doctor....Who....loving....sucks.....

Yet here we are...

Here you are...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Look

So long as it doesn't open with the Doctor choking Bill out

We should be fine.

We should be fine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always, shameless self-advertising:

An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

4th Doctor Adventures (Audio)
Season One

5th Doctor
Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool

6th Doctor
Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero

7th Doctor
The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari

8th Doctor
Televised
TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
Audio Monthly Range
Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends

Audio 8th Doctor Adventures
Season 1: Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources
Season 2: Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius
Season 3: Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web
Season 4: Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death

The War Doctor
Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War | The Day of the Doctor

9th Doctor
Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways

10th Doctor
Season 2
The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday

Season 3
The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash

Season 4
Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End

Year of Specials
The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time

10th Doctor Adventures (Audio)
Volume 1

11th Doctor
Season 5
The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol

Season 6
The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe

Season 7
Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor

12th Doctor
Season 8
Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas

Season 9
The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song

Season 10
The Return of Doctor Mysterio

Big Finish Specials
The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1

Also just for ease of access, here are most of the gifs I've posted over the years in the various threads:

William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 1, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This better not suck

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I don't have as much to self-advertise as Jerusalem, there, but I do have a continuity guide to the first 50 Big Finish stories, which strives to be both comprehensive and spoiler-free. Hopefully, it can help with the daunting "where do I start" question, along with the inevitable "...where am I supposed to know that guy from?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Moffat has had a year to put this season together so I'm really, really hoping the quality is high. I mean, it's unlikely to be as good as season 5 but I'd be satisfied with around the same level as season 8 which I really liked. The Return of Doctor Mysterio wasn't exactly a great start though so fingers crossed.

After The War posted:

I do have a continuity guide to the first 50 Big Finish stories

This is awesome, though I did make a conscious decision not to try too hard to keep track of this stuff in my own head, especially since I listened to a large chunk of it out of order.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm quite excited for the new series as I love the poo poo out of Peter Capaldi and everything he does.

This news, though? Not quite as exciting for us Aussies:

ABC 2 posted:

Rove McManus: The Next Doctor? No… the next big Whovian!

Friday, March 24, 2017 — Sunday nights are about to get a whole lot more galactic as Rove McManus and his team of superfans present a brand new half hour panel show to dissect, delve into and delight in the world of Doctor Who. Airing straight after the weekly premiere of the much anticipated Doctor Who series 10 on ABC, Whovians will be filmed in front of a live studio audience, and air on Sundays at 8.30pm on ABC2 and iview.

As well as unpacking the most recent episode, Rove and the team will open the doors of the TARDIS and go back through the annals of time to lovingly analyze, critique, and unravel the mysteries of this much loved globally renowned series.

Rove is a long time Doctor Who enthusiast and will be joined by other self-confessed Doctor Who superfans, Tegan Higginbotham, Adam Richard and Steven ‘Bajo’ O’Donnell, as well as a roster of celebrity guests.

This is a show by Whovians but one that won’t exclude the rest of humanity.

“I’ve been a fan of Doctor Who for as long as I can remember so you can imagine how pleased I am to be hosting a show about it. Whether it be the classic era that dates back over fifty years or the modern series that has created its own decade-long legacy, it’ll be nice to have the opportunity to talk about my favourite TV show with like-minded individuals and be paid to completely geek out. You might say I’m so excited that I too feel like I have two hearts beating in my chest - and yes, it’s references like that which prove I’m the right guy for the job," said Rove McManus.

Brian Minchin, Executive Producer of Doctor Who adds “Whovians will be the perfect companion piece for the thrilling new series of Doctor Who on ABC. It’s fantastic to have this exciting new program to delight Australian fans.”

Rebecca Heap, ABC Head of Programming and Digital, said: “As the home of Doctor Who in Australia we are thrilled to offer our audiences another way to engage with the popular program, as well as welcoming Rove back to our screens.”

So get ready to get on board. #WhoviansAU

Whovians is an ABC production. It will be filmed in front of a live studio audience and broadcast as live on Sundays at 8.30pm on ABC2 from Sunday April 16.

Essentially it's Talking Dead for Who nerds but with a live audience and possibly terrible guests?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm quite excited for the new series as I love the poo poo out of Peter Capaldi and everything he does.

Essentially it's Talking Dead for Who nerds but with a live audience and possibly terrible guests?

I have the word Whovian so much.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

At least it doesn't have Chris Hardwick.

And Jerusalem, thanks for linking all your reviews. I just reread your review of Day of the Doctor and need to rewatch it, its so drat good.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You know what's better? The Eleventh Hour.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Watched Heaven Sent again tonight, what a loving amazing episode.

One of the best ever?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

and possibly terrible guests?

That's kinda redundant with Rove hosting :v:

AndyElusive posted:

One of the best ever?

It was amazing. Shame about the follow-up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

You know what's better? The Eleventh Hour.

The Eleventh Hour is so loving good. Hell, just that opening section with the new Doctor and little Amelia Pond is amazing by itself.

Man I gotta rewatch THAT!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

One of the best ever?

That episode made really, really like Doctor Who again. Then the next episode soured me on it for a while.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

all-rush mixtape posted:

Original Series:
UK - Drama, Horror

Horror definitely isn't showing Classic Who any more, and I don't think Drama is either. :smith:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

The Eleventh Hour is so loving good. Hell, just that opening section with the new Doctor and little Amelia Pond is amazing by itself.

Man I gotta rewatch THAT!

It's the ending for me.

"Basically...run."

As a heads up, I'm out of the review game. I just flat out don't have the time thanks to President Trump's major mishandling of our foreign policy - the time or the energy or the give a drat.

It's a rare morning when I don't slam down the phone and ask "where the gently caress is Colin Baker when I need him?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well now Trump has just gone too far!

I do hope you are still listening when you get a chance. My commute has changed and I'm struggling just to keep up with regular podcasts at the moment so I'm listening to far less Big Finish than I'd like to be - plus now they've got a television version of Doctor Who going too? Talk about cashing in!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Well now Trump has just gone too far!

I do hope you are still listening when you get a chance. My commute has changed and I'm struggling just to keep up with regular podcasts at the moment so I'm listening to far less Big Finish than I'd like to be - plus now they've got a television version of Doctor Who going too? Talk about cashing in!

My walk to the commuter bus is where I get some listening done, usually about 20-30 minutes worth. Less then before, but it's still new Who to me.

If anything, discovering Bojack Horseman is what's cutting into my listening time!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Moffat has had a year to put this season together so I'm really, really hoping the quality is high.

Well, he and Gatiss had as much time to put the last season of Sherlock together and it wasn't great on the whole BUT I thought the episode Moffat wrote by himself was fine (or at least the best one of the three). :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved the first two episodes of the latest Sherlock, the last was just terrible though :smith:

Oh well, hopefully season 5 in 2022 will be all good!

Edit: But yeah, looking it up Moffat's episode was The Lying Detective and that was great, Toby Jones was fantastic.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tegan , Adam, and Steven

They're doing this on purpose, aren't they?!

Jerusalem posted:

This is awesome, though I did make a conscious decision not to try too hard to keep track of this stuff in my own head, especially since I listened to a large chunk of it out of order.

You were already long, long, gone - it was more because the question kept coming up in the thread, and we were tripping all over each other to warn people not to start with certain stories. Plus, there's the added bonus of someone getting to pick out their favorite Doctor, companion, alien, or style to jump in with. At some point, I may add a second page collating all our recommendations, but it's all objective for now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

There's one effect that hasn't aged well.

Wow, that was 12 years ago. Hard to believe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's one effect that hasn't aged well.

Wow, that was 12 years ago. Hard to believe.

The dodgy Vaseline filter they had for 2005 didn't help.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've never liked that betacam look. It's possibly the funky lighting as well, but I've always thought it looked like trash. Cassanova had the same problem. A lot of the time, the flesh tones look vaguely radioactive. Not in that picture of Adam, but that has other problems, like how the colour on the shadowed side of his face bleeds into the wall paint.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've never liked that betacam look. It's possibly the funky lighting as well, but I've always thought it looked like trash. Cassanova had the same problem. A lot of the time, the flesh tones look vaguely radioactive. Not in that picture of Adam, but that has other problems, like how the colour on the shadowed side of his face bleeds into the wall paint.

It truly is dreadful.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Edited because spoilers. Must remember that there is a spoiler thread.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 6, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just been reading Wikipedia's page on actors who could have been the Doctor.

Some interesting possibilities here. I knew a lot of these already but there's a couple of surprises; I already knew that Brian Blessed was approached to play the Second Doctor but I didn't know that Valentine Dyall and Sir Michael Hordern were as well. I wouldn't want to replace Troughton at all, but can you imagine if Michael Hordern had played the Doctor? That would have been something.

Not quite as surprising as some of the folks named on this list, though.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

obviously i wouldn't trade Paul McGann for anything but the fact that Richard Griffiths was allegedly next in line after Sylvester pains me greatly

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was going to post the Wall of Shame for the previous thread, but most of you had disappointingly low post counts <:mad:>

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was going to post the Wall of Shame for the previous thread, but most of you had disappointingly low post counts <:mad:>

Don't blame me, I'm not a Big Finish guy.

ALso the thread was like 50 pages, 49 of which was Power of the Dalek talk

EDIT- J Ru, seriously man, you have six pages of posts in that thread. I'm calling you out on that nerd master.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 6, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tim Burns Effect posted:

obviously i wouldn't trade Paul McGann for anything but the fact that Richard Griffiths was allegedly next in line after Sylvester pains me greatly

They'd have had to do the K9/TARDIS door camera trick every time he got in/out. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

EDIT- J Ru, seriously man, you have six pages of posts in that thread. I'm calling you out on that nerd master.

I went 16 years with only one televised episode of Doctor Who (please don't mention Dimensions in Time :gonk:) and nobody gave a poo poo about the show anymore. Then it came back and got incredibly popular again and people actually wanted to talk about it again, and I'm latching onto all of you like a tick with no regrets :colbert:

• Locked thread